Follow

Jean Grey

Character » Jean Grey appears in 8004 issues.

Jean Grey was one of the five original X-Men. An omega-level mutant telepath and powerful telekinetic, Jean has gained near limitless powers as a recurrent host of the Phoenix Force. She is known for her return from death and as the wife of Cyclops.

Will comics get a better when she is back ?

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

#1  Edited By time1

It's a simple fact that X-Men have go down hill over the last couple of years, from poorly written stories like Schisms, to Second Coming, to everything Matt Fraction ever written. To X-Men becoming a bigger universe with all the characters being invovled and while this happens, we see a lot of good characters become background characters. So the question I put to everyone is, Will X-Men get a whole lot better when Jean Grey is back in X-Men. Vote Yes if you think it will and No if you don't.

I would appreciate all your views, whelther your a fan of hers or not.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

It's hard to say for me, because it all depends on who is writing the X-Men stories in the future. If Joss Whedon starts writing X-Men again, then I think that the X-books will get better over time since he is a great writer. Also, if Rick Remender wrote some X-books, the series will get better. So my answer:

Yes - if there are good writers who can make Jean Grey's return something meaningful and if the future writers can write X-Men stories that go deep into the characters' personalities and situations.

No - if there are no good writers who can write the future stories of the X-Men in an interesting and memorable way.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Mercy_

Highlyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy doubtful. The second she comes back, the clock starts ticking for when she dies again.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@The Dark Huntress said:

Highlyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy doubtful. The second she comes back, the clock starts ticking for when she dies again.

Oh yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to kill her off again.

jubilee042

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By jubilee042

wait wasn't second coming good

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By InnerVenom123

No.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#7  Edited By Outside_85

No

Good stories don't depend on who's in them, it depends on the writer being able to tell a compelling and entertaining story with the people he/she is using. And wouldn't Jean actually returning lead to a whole new round of complications thats already been once or twice?

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    Jean Grey isn't going to improve the X-Men franchise, good writers and well executed stories will.
    jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By jhazzroucher

I want her back without the Phoenix force and i want the comic to say the phoenix entity has left her completely. That way, Storm , Jean and Rogue can work together again. : )

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#10  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Short answer No, long answer Still No.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@Outside_85 said:

No Good stories don't depend on who's in them, it depends on the writer being able to tell a compelling and entertaining story with the people he/she is using. And wouldn't Jean actually returning lead to a whole new round of complications thats already been once or twice?

This.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Sure, the same way that the Ebola Virus helped Africa. 

TheOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By TheOptimist

@The Dark Huntress said:

Truth. We should start a betting pool on exactly how long the character rebirth will last before she kicks again.

treysome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By treysome

Depends on the writer, though hopefully they off cyclops his fans have turn me off forever.

samlankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By samlankey

She will definitely bring in more readers who had left and bring some interesting drama. Cyclops fans are just scared this will cast a bad light on Scott but I'm all about the character drama so bring it on. X fans will turn in esp the haters to dissect her every move, meaning sales.

Jean, Emma, Psylocke, Kitty, Rogue and Storm should have a mini together.

Avatar image for venomoushatred1001
    venomoushatred1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

LMAO.

Its funny and true.

difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By difficlus

@The Dark Huntress said:

lol

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#18  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @samlankey said:

She will definitely bring in more readers who had left and bring some interesting drama. Cyclops fans are just scared this will cast a bad light on Scott but I'm all about the character drama so bring it on. X fans will turn in esp the haters to dissect her every move, meaning sales.

Maybe it's just that Cyclops fans are smart enough to recognise a poor character and plot device when they see one. 
    Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@samlankey said:

I agree that Jean, Emma, Psyloke, Kitty, Rogue and Storm need to have their own miniseries. It would be fantastic!

samlankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By samlankey

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@samlankey said:

Maybe it's just that Cyclops fans are smart enough to recognise a poor character and plot device when they see one.

The smart Cyclops fans have migrated to the X-Men CBR Forums. Ask for the poster darknessatnoon. You probably are against any character/writer/story that goes against who you think Cyclops should be or do. But I should leave it at that before I become one of those hateful posters, comics should be fun.

SHORYUKEN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SHORYUKEN

"Poorly Written"

"Second Coming"

"Same sentence"

Oh wait you're serious. Let me laugh harder.

Sorry but no. Might as well cash the "no valid opinion" coupon in if you're going to somehow imply X-Men had some "god tier writing" going on that doesn't include second coming. I'm just curious what sort of hat trick exists for this argument sans Claremont.

Are you going to bring out Morrison? As beloved as his work was, it wasn't without controversy either. Is Loeb's Fatal Attraction a high note? What about The Twelve? Are you talking post Jean's death, which was still Morrison?

Ok so you have Whedon on Astonishing and then Bendis' (who once again, has no controversy either right?) attempt with House of M, which is still really classified an Avengers event anyways.

I'm just asking if you're going to derp the herp and label Second Coming as a bad X-Book (even Schism for that matter) do clarify what you find as good X-Literature released in the past five-to-fifteen years.

Onslaught?

AoA?

Maybe you'll just pull out the get out of jail card and go with Uncanny X-Force, because Jean's totally in that.

Long story short, I don't think the X-books are in "trouble" and as big of a Phoenix fan as I am she has largely been reduced to fossil fuel via dark phoenix fumes for the past twenty years. Nobody knew how to write her, and what attempts were perceived as decent (Morrison) ultimately resulted in her death anyways (Morrison).

So no, the Phoenix saga part twenty won't "save" anything.

Avatar image for josedriveratcr7
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7

@samlankey:The CBR forum? Really? There are only a few Cyclops fans there and a majority of posters hate Cyclops. Not just that, but most of the posters are crazy and troll each other constantly. That forum needs better mods badly.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By BatteredArmor

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

except worse

Avatar image for shamelesslysupportinaznballers
    Shamelesslysupportinaznballers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X-Factor is great and it doesn't have Jean in it.

VanAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By VanAce

I think the days of the Phoenix force being used with Jean Grey are over. If Jean Grey did come back I would see her staying back for good. They have been hinting for a while that Hope will have something to do with Phoenix Force for a while.

If Jean Grey did come back it would need to be written properly and need to be justified.

As for Second Coming I enjoyed it. Although I can see how some people wouldn't have with both Cable and Nightcrawler killed. But they weren't cheap deaths and they added something to the story further down the line.

xerogod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By xerogod

@Rabbitearsblog said:

It's hard to say for me, because it all depends on who is writing the X-Men stories in the future. If Joss Whedon starts writing X-Men again, then I think that the X-books will get better over time since he is a great writer. Also, if Rick Remender wrote some X-books, the series will get better. So my answer:

Yes - if there are good writers who can make Jean Grey's return something meaningful and if the future writers can write X-Men stories that go deep into the characters' personalities and situations.

No - if there are no good writers who can write the future stories of the X-Men in an interesting and memorable way.

agreed

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#27  Edited By The Impersonator

Jean Grey is already back if you had read the Uncanny X-Force stories. So I doubt that the writers would bring the old Jean back.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#28  Edited By Mercy_

They've never.explicitly said it was Jean and not just the PF.

Carolina574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Carolina574

I personally like Jean being dead. I loved her character, but they never should have been brought her back after the Dark Phoenix story. Her (apparent) death in that story is timeless and really defined her character. I look at her staying dead now as them making up for the huge mistake of bringing her back the first time.  

Plus I would like to see them do something with Rachel Summers/Grey (can't remember what she is going by) in her place. That is an unexplored character in my opionion.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By John Valentine

Urgh, stop all this Jean crap. It's like three years old now.

luckydomino1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By luckydomino1

when jean comes back she better have a weakened phoenix force but still able to go h2h with poeple and they better not kill her off again

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By EnSabahNurX

I feel like they should make her similar to her ultimate universe counterpart since she set up her own identity outside the x-men

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CellphoneGirl

@The Dark Huntress said:

Unless if i become a future writer for X-Men. For me people are gonna think of Jean Grey dieing like Queen Elizabeth. It will never happen. lol

GREGalicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#34  Edited By GREGalicious

@FadeToBlackBolt: If theyre Cyclops fans, they clearly arent smart enough to recognize poor character...but to each its own.

It all depends on whether or not they have writers that arent completely LAME. Its has nothing to do with Jean or her Phoenix.

Im so sick of people trying to blame everything on the Phoenix Force so-called plot device.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I think X-men stories will be interesting when she comes back.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Morpheus_ said:

Jean Grey isn't going to improve the X-Men franchise, good writers and well executed stories will.

Hear, hear. I would like her to come back with the Phoenix Force and be a cosmic level hero juggling her human ties with her greater responsibilities and power. That being said, she should show up in the X-Men just as a friend, but should stay far away from them, since I think their stories tend to be smaller-scale and of less importance than a character like Dr. Strange, Silver Surfer or Thor. She should finally have a stable, cosmic level of power yet not be able to call upon the full, unlimited power of the PF/Deus ex Machina unless all the other Phoenixii in the White Hot Room concur. I think she should be less of a "super hero" and more of a demi god with greater concerns than whether she likes the name of Wolverine's school.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#37  Edited By ReVamp

I think that if Marvel makes an editorial decision for Jean to come back, they're probably making editorial decisions to make the X-Men universe better.

kiss_lamia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By kiss_lamia

the only way comics with or without her return will be good is if they get rid of the dead weight writers and editors at marvel loool

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@kiss_lamia said:

the only way comics with or without her return will be good is if they get rid of the dead weight writers and editors at marvel loool

Exactly!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.