Follow

Jean Grey

Character » Jean Grey appears in 8004 issues.

Jean Grey was one of the five original X-Men. An omega-level mutant telepath and powerful telekinetic, Jean has gained near limitless powers as a recurrent host of the Phoenix Force. She is known for her return from death and as the wife of Cyclops.

Why people don't want her back?

Avatar image for oviouslyjeangrey
    oviouslyjeangrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By oviouslyjeangrey

Okay, so I am making this forums because there is a rumor that she is coming back in AvX or after it what ever. With her being in the old costume yada yada, and I have being reading a lot of the same thing. Things like "characters never stay dead," "No surprise there," or "Its that time of the year again" Things like that like it really bothers them that she is coming back. Why does it bother you guys?

First off all on the characters never stay dead thing.........erm. I bet you wouldn't mind about this if you fav char died. Also makes a lot a sense that she stay dead right? Not Captain America, Cable, or Physlocke. You know with her being bound to the phoenix which is all about death and rebirth...................-_-. (sarcasm). So explain why she should stay dead.

Second with the "No surprise there" or "Its that time of the year again". Well the first ones kinda true lol but what ever XD. The second bothers me because she has not died that many times she died like (I'm talking real death no crap bag shit like Thanos with the IG) a total of 3 or 4 times not as much as people make seem. She also doesn't come back like in a month she has been dead for almost 10 years now that's a along time. Remember when you were 12 and she died now your 22 that's along time lol. Also the time she died even though it was a phoenix copy it took 5 years to come back which is pretty long. So this no reason for her not to come back.

So over all the question is why don't you want her to come back? Since the reason people are putting don't make any sense^^^^(that's why they don't make sense). I bet yall are just a bunch of Emma fans that are scared she might take Scott boowhoo who cares if you like her all that munch you should like her with out him. Even though I don't care what happens to Scott when she does come back. Thats all give me a good reason why she should not come back. (sorry for it being long)

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By moywar700

She's allow to come back as many times as she want because she's life and death since she's always with the phoenix force.

It wouldn't make sense if a character like Rouge kept dying and coming back to life like Jean Grey does.

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Crimsonlord53

Well from what I understand most who don't want her back think she's a mary sue character the writers perfect ideal of a woman.

I may be mistaken it could be the fact that she's the only person to ever best emma then there is the whole scott/emma scott/logan mess and the phoenix there's a lot of baggage jean has to get rid of before coming back. So instead of taking the time to write how and when jean matured we get the 17 year old O5 jean in the current timeline. Lazy just lazy IMO.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By John Valentine

Other characters fill her role perfectly without all the ridiculous retconning and baggage.

oviouslyjeangrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oviouslyjeangrey

Yea but other character were also retconned lol

shrmntnk62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By shrmntnk62

I honestly always thought she was kind of boring. I did like her and Scott together. I'm not an Emma fan not a fan or her relationship with Scott.. But Jean has been dead so long, I honestly don't even really miss her but there wasn't ever much of an attachment. If they do bring her back she'll probably be with Wolverine which I also never liked. She had a great tragic death. Let the dead stay dead. Cable and Colossus are 2 of my favorites. I was very upset when they both died. Pete was brought back brilliantly and I was fine with it. I wasn't happy that Cable came back so soon.

XsPectre28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By XsPectre28

Jean Role Gives Her A Higher Purpose she had to die so that she as well as the phoenix force were not affected by the HOM & No More Mutants Spell plus she had to fix the timeline

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Blood1991

Because Jean is a running joke on how comic deaths have no meaning.

oviouslyjeangrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oviouslyjeangrey

@Blood1991: How is she a running joke she was the first x-woman, and one of the most if not the most important x-men not only in x-men but all of marvel.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Blood1991

@oviouslyjeangrey said:

@Blood1991: How is she a running joke she was the first x-woman, and one of the most if not the most important x-men not only in x-men but all of marvel.

Not her character I like Jean, but her death and rebitrth is a joke on comic deaths having no meaning.

Madame_Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Madame_Mist

I don't mind her coming back. She's technically not coming back from the dead this time.

But what I don't get is why people call her a Mary Sue and then effectively point out her faults, which kind of goes against their argument. That's what I don't get.

Osian2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Osian2

I think it was Grant Morrisson who said it best "As long as Jean is around the X-men can't move forward" not the exact quote but something similar. He said that because the Phoenix story is considered the "best" x-men story there will always be ties to it when Jean is around so that they can try and recreate it. In a way that's true, I mean the biggest changes to the X-men in general happened when Jean wasn't around. Giant-size Uncanny had her and the rest of the O5 leave except for Scott and the really big changes like Messiah Complex and Utopia happened without her aswell.

Unless they ditch the whole Phoenix aspect of her character I don't really want her back otherwise the same boring story will just be repeated (Jean gets Phoenix power, struggles with power, loses control/gets depowered). When the Phoenix is around it steals the spotlight in a way I think this is why Bendis is bringing the O5 to the present (a Jean with no ties to the Phoenix)

oviouslyjeangrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By oviouslyjeangrey

@Osian2: I guess, but I think that's some what of the writers fault. They can move forward they just don't they simply rewrite the same story then kill her at the end lameness. I want her to come back and do something different still be the same person but do different things.

FinnVarra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FinnVarra

Honestly what is the point of bringing Jean back? She doesn't contribute anything except the same old storylines that they use for her over and over again. The writers simply don't know what to do with her without tying her to Scott or the Phoenix force. Sure her coming back would make sense, but would it be a good story? You'd have the drama between her Scott and Emma, but what about after that? Her abilities are pretty stock, and she's never had a very dynamic personality, so why bother. After the initial "oh jean's back" storys she'll just fade to the background until they decide to recycle the Phoenix storyline again.

If they bring her back they really really need to do something new with her. Give her to some good writers that will get her out of the story rut that she is stuck in. Make her a cosmic level players, have her join the Annihilators. Anything but the X-Men, her presence will just take panel time from more interesting characters.

There is a reason she's been gone so long, and I'm pretty sure that reason is they don't know what to do with her.

cc1738

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By cc1738

I actually can't wait for her to come back. I like the character when she's done correctly.

@Osian2: I think that is kinda what they're doing with the character. By making it the Jean Grey from the past, she doesn't have the Phoenix. She's just Jean. It ends that stupid cycle of her being revived for arc only to be killed again.

Avatar image for lordofallhumans
    LordOfAllHumans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By LordOfAllHumans

@cc1738 said:

I actually can't wait for her to come back. I like the character when she's done correctly.

@Osian2: I think that is kinda what they're doing with the character. By making it the Jean Grey from the past, she doesn't have the Phoenix. She's just Jean. It ends that stupid cycle of her being revived for arc only to be killed again.

That's not entirely true, the Phoenix was always a hidden aspect of her even before the Xmen were formed, it surfaced to connect to Scott when even Xavier couldn't sense him. There probably won't be an event that will cause it to manifest though.

No Caption Provided
    cc1738

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By cc1738

@LordOfAllHumans: You're right. I completely forgot about that. I hope they you'er right about them not doing an event where the phoenix manifests with her. I have no desire to see that again.

Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Imagine_Man15

I've just always been bored by Jean. She never struck me as particularly interesting.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

She's basically the original Sentry. She started out as a regular team member. Her powers got out of hand and now she's in comic limbo.

LordOfAllHumans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LordOfAllHumans

@cc1738 said:

@LordOfAllHumans: You're right. I completely forgot about that. I hope they you'er right about them not doing an event where the phoenix manifests with her. I have no desire to see that again.

With what's going now with the Phoenix I doubt it. I hope they are doing this to show her become powerful without tapping that power. The people that she can learn from now are nowhere near as repressed as Xavier, he taught all of them restraint and to limit themselves because of his experience with Shadow King, from that point he saw power as a corrupting force, even his own (and that gave birth to Onslaught), just like Jean becoming Phoenix. She couldn't handle the rush of power from being taught and forced to restrain her power. It's been shown that powerful telepaths can just give Scott and Rogue control of their powers, and Bobby too and he never did it, he wanted them to be afraid of how powerful they were to keep them pure....I just felt like a rant :)

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By TDK_1997

Because she is the most annoying character of them all.She is just making every character lame and for her the word 'death' doesn't mean anything.

LordOfAllHumans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LordOfAllHumans

@TDK_1997 said:

Because she is the most annoying character of them all.She is just making every character lame and for her the word 'death' doesn't mean anything.

she's Phoenix of anybody she is the only legitimate character that death should mean nothing to, especially when Death said that about Phoenix. She first died on that shuttle before the retcon and she became a being of pure psionic energy and recreated a body (just like Xman) so she was never bound by death from the beginning.

cc1738

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By cc1738

@LordOfAllHumans: You're brain contains a vast amount of knowledge on this subject my friend. lol.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By TDK_1997

@LordOfAllHumans said:

@TDK_1997 said:

she's Phoenix of anybody she is the only legitimate character that death should mean nothing to, especially when Death said that about Phoenix. She first died on that shuttle before the retcon and she became a being of pure psionic energy and recreated a body (just like Xman) so she was never bound by death from the beginning.

Doesn't matter,still too unrealistic.

LordOfAllHumans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By LordOfAllHumans

@TDK_1997: it's a comic book, what is realistic about gods of ancient myth walking around, telepaths, and cosmic forces that seem to only be concerned primarily with one planet in a single universe inside of a multiverse? Maybe you should leave fiction alone if you can't handle how unrealistic made up realities are.

Osian2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Osian2

@LordOfAllHumans said:

@TDK_1997: it's a comic book, what is realistic about gods of ancient myth walking around, telepaths, and cosmic forces that seem to only be concerned primarily with one planet in a single universe inside of a multiverse? Maybe you should leave fiction alone if you can't handle how unrealistic made up realities are.

lol Agreed maybe superhero comics aren't for you if you feel that way.

The thing that annoys me about bringing O5 Jean to the future is that this will be Jean when she was at her most boring with no connections to anybody other than Hank, Bobby, Scott, Xavier and Warren (Who has no memories). Sure there will be some drama but not enough for a flagship title, more like a miniseries. After the boring reunion where she'll meet everyone that she's supposed to have a connection with what then? All the O5 will be inexperienced so they shouldn't be going on missions along with Colossus, Storm and Wolverine etc. And how much drama can there be anyway? If the whole Logan/Jean relationship is continued it will be creepy as hell and it's not as if she's going to start hanging out with Storm again.

KenTheProfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By KenTheProfile

@oviouslyjeangrey: i think because people just want a important charecters death to really be death not a x number of years vacation.

oviouslyjeangrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By oviouslyjeangrey

I think she fits perfect in AvX anything to get rid of those punk ass phoenix five uhg hate them

oviouslyjeangrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By oviouslyjeangrey

@LordOfAllHumans: I agree with you a 100%

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.