Follow

Jean Grey

Character » Jean Grey appears in 7984 issues.

Jean Grey was one of the five original X-Men. An omega-level mutant telepath and powerful telekinetic, Jean has gained near limitless powers as a recurrent host of the Phoenix Force. She is known for her return from death and as the wife of Cyclops.

Should there be more done with Jean Grey’s character?

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

Edited By Rabbitearsblog

No Caption Provided

Ever since Jean Grey was first introduced into the X-Men universe, she has become one of the most popular characters in the X-Universe around.  Also, there were many inspirational X-Men stories that helped developed Jean Grey as a memorable character, such as the most well-known story “The Dark Phoenix Saga” which was about Jean Grey trying to deal with the dark powers of the Phoenix Force and eventually destroying many planets with her dark powers.

No Caption Provided

There are many characteristics that make Jean Grey stand out as a remarkable character in the X-Universe, but probably the two most popular aspects to Jean Grey’s character is her everlasting love triangle with X-Men members Cyclops and Wolverine and the fact that she is always connected to the Phoenix Force.  Since Jean Grey was the first mutant character to ever be affected by the Phoenix Force (at least when “Uncanny X-Men” made its first appearance), she become one of the most powerful mutants to wield such a dangerous force (until recently when it became apparent that other mutants could wield the Phoenix Force).  Whenever we think of the Phoenix Force, we think of Jean Grey since she was one of the first characters to wield its power.   Another aspect of Jean Grey’s character is the fact that she is constantly involved in the love triangle between her, Cyclops and Wolverine.  In many X-Men stories, Jean Grey is shown to be Cyclops’ main girlfriend and then eventually, married him.  However, during this time, Wolverine started developing feelings for Jean Grey, which lead to Wolverine and Cyclops fighting over Jean Grey’s affections for them.

No Caption Provided

Unfortunately, Jean Grey is recently missing from the X-Men universe and it seems to be about time for her return.  However, there is great news that Jean Grey might be coming back in the X-Universe after the events of Avengers vs. X-Men (Marvel’s current event that has the X-Men fighting against the Avengers) during Marvel’s relaunch of their titles.  The real question here is, will Jean Grey be able to move further into character development without being held back by her past character?     As her past character goes, Jean Grey seems to be seen as a character that is the constant love interest of both Cyclops and Wolverine and being the mutant who wields the Phoenix Force.   Because of those two main traits we keep seeing from Jean Grey every time she is introduced in a story, it seems like it’s hard to see Jean Grey display more traits about herself other than those two traits.  One of the few times we actually seen Jean Grey have another trait besides being the love interest of Wolverine and Cyclops and being the host of the Phoenix Force is during Grant Morrison’s run of New X-Men when Jean Grey was portrayed as a teacher, which did bring some interesting character development to Jean Grey.  

Personally, if Jean Grey were to come back to the Marvel Universe, I would want her to have her own miniseries for the time being so that way there would be more time to develop her character a bit further and see what she could do when she is not wielding the Phoenix Force or is a constant love interest between Wolverine and Cyclops.   A miniseries or having time spent away from the X-Men would help Jean Grey become a more interesting character and have more depth to her character once we can explore other aspects of Jean Grey’s character.

So what do you want to be done more with Jean Grey’s character if she comes back into the Marvel Universe?  Do you think that she is fine where she is or do you think that more can be done with her character and what should be done to make her more interesting?

yasiiii4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By yasiiii4

I think a miniseries would be cool for her!

I think she should just stay away from Cyclops and actually pursue something with Wolverine

They should definitely keep her with the Phoenix, BUT with it completely under her control, none of the dark phoenix stuff

And lastly, I think she should join the Avengers, it'd take her away from the X-Men and give her a new setting which I think would be a good way to develop her character more. Plus she deserves to be an Avenger!

Also when you talk about her coming back are you talking about the new series with the original 5 time traveling? Or her actually like coming back since Endsong?

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Crimsonlord53

Well since the phoenix and jean seem to have been split in the recent books I'd like to see her back as a teacher at the avengers Academy or a member of the future foudation. Keep her away from both scott and logan if you want her character to progress

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By fodigg

Jean's been important to the X-Men for a few limited reasons:

• She's "the girl"
    • She's something for Scott and Logan to fight over
    • She's dangerously powerful
    • She's dead
    • She's not dead
    • She's dead again

That's pretty much it. There have been some valiant attempts to develop her more as a character than as a plot device (X-Men: First Class and various other young X-Men books that center on her), but it's been a tough struggle. So I fully agree with you when you say that she needs development.

Since they're ditching her baggage entirely, I think it's the perfect opportunity to build her up from scratch. New attitude, new powers, new costume, new relationships (and then only after flying solo for a while). She just needs to get away from the old love interests and the Phoenix powers. Putting her on a pseudo-Avengers title (Uncanny Avengers) is a good start since that has her interacting with different characters.

XsPectre28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By XsPectre28

Jean has much more potential then she has already displayed. she just needs a writer that can handle her and do good things with her besides kill her off

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rabbitearsblog
    @fodigg said:

Jean's been important to the X-Men for a few limited reasons:

• She's "the girl"
    • She's something for Scott and Logan to fight over
    • She's dangerously powerful
    • She's dead
    • She's not dead
    • She's dead again

That's pretty much it. There have been some valiant attempts to develop her more as a character than as a plot device (X-Men: First Class and various other young X-Men books that center on her), but it's been a tough struggle. So I fully agree with you when you say that she needs development.

Since they're ditching her baggage entirely, I think it's the perfect opportunity to build her up from scratch. New attitude, new powers, new costume, new relationships (and then only after flying solo for a while). She just needs to get away from the old love interests and the Phoenix powers. Putting her on a pseudo-Avengers title (Uncanny Avengers) is a good start since that has her interacting with different characters.

I agree that Jean Grey joining the Avengers might be the best thing for her since we would be able to see how she fares when she is doing something in a different environment.

@XsPectre28 said:

Jean has much more potential then she has already displayed. she just needs a writer that can handle her and do good things with her besides kill her off

I agree. There needs to be a writer who is willing to explore more with Jean's character instead of putting her in the same situations over and over again.
    Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

Bump.

Madame_Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Madame_Mist

I agree with you. I'm tired of the Phoenix and the love triangle overshadowing Jean herself. When not focusing on that, she was very capable. She was able to function without Scott, she was able to help on dangerous missions and so on, but it's just writers use her as a plot device more often.

I think this fresh start for her is definitely needed.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Rabbitearsblog
    @Madame_Mist said:

I agree with you. I'm tired of the Phoenix and the love triangle overshadowing Jean herself. When not focusing on that, she was very capable. She was able to function without Scott, she was able to help on dangerous missions and so on, but it's just writers use her as a plot device more often.

I think this fresh start for her is definitely needed.

Me too. It would be great to see what Jean Grey can do without always being shown as a love object between Cyclops and Wolverine and as a host of the phoenix force.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.