Follow

Jean Grey

Character » Jean Grey appears in 8006 issues.

Jean Grey was one of the five original X-Men. An omega-level mutant telepath and powerful telekinetic, Jean has gained near limitless powers as a recurrent host of the Phoenix Force. She is known for her return from death and as the wife of Cyclops.

jean or madelyne pryor why?

VtwinsV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By VtwinsV

who is better?

Avatar image for jeangreyemmafrost
    jeangreyemmafrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By jeangreyemmafrost

the real one

or BOTH

kerukun878

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kerukun878

Both are good. But I like Jean more then Maddie.
    jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By jordama

Maddie is lame clone that is suppose to be jeans dark side,except her dark side can destroy planets. Maddie can come and go, but Jean is forever.
    cracks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cracks

Madelyne has powers that Jean does not and vice versa. 

cracks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cracks
    @Phoenix of the Black Throne: Madelyne also has the Goblin Force, can teleport and apparently her powers seemed to be more devastating than Jean Grey's.  Madelyne could also wield Asgardian magic that manifested as eldritch flames with the power to heal and cure. Madelyne also has mystical magical powers that Jean does not have.         %Pr
    cracks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cracks
    @Phoenix of the Black Throne: I see. Thanks.

Can Madelyne Pryor defeat Exodus?
    cracks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cracks
    @Phoenix of the Black Throne: I meant if Madelyne Pryor, only using her natural and innate mutant powers and abilities and nothing else, were to battle Exodus. Both at full power and blood lust is on.
    sputnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sputnik
    @jordama: totally agree with you!
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Mercy_
    @sputnik: Please stop bumping every Jean Grey thread. 
    sputnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sputnik
    @VtwinsV: i say jean. she's legendary compared to madelyn.
    sputnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sputnik
    @The Dark Huntress: can't help it. sorry gotta know what's going on with her or has she kicked emma's butt
    GREGalicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By GREGalicious

I do love some MADELYNE but i'll go with JEAN. Aside from looking the same, theyre really nothing alike

HBKTimHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HBKTimHBK

Jean.

kiss_lamia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By kiss_lamia

Madelyne and she had a better personality pre power kick in too

njones5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By njones5

jean grey is forever and plus maddie is some insane clone!!!!!!!!!!! i do not care if mad hatter can teleport jean has powers that saint aka mad hatter aka maddie does not even have so jean would definitley win!!!!!!!!!!

satyrgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By satyrgod
    X-Men: The End
    X-Men: The End
    Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Crimsonlord53

Anyone else think madelyne is jeans dark side without the phoenix to amp her into a world eating monster.

I have to give my support to jean.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeangreyemmafrost: @VtwinsV: @jordama: @sputnik: @GREGalicious: @kiss_lamia: @Crimsonlord53:

@satyrgod: in x-men the end it said that maddie was the essence of jean grey that loved(and would sacrifice herself to save him) cyclops thats why it never worked out between jean and scott when they got married.........so idk in less if marvel changes it again

satyrgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By satyrgod

Wasn't Jean who claimed that Madelyne was her "essence"? Mad was retro'ed into being Jean's genetic clone animated by the Phoenix Force, who then developed her own personality and sense of self. When the Force was removed, Mad's body died and her consciousness was relegated to the astral plane. So, was Mad Jean's essence (just because it was stated by another character) or is she the essence of the Phoenix force that loved Scott and resented his feelings for Jean? Scott's problem wasn't that he stopped loving Jean; he just couldn't relate to a cosmic being that he feared. He married Madelyne because she was the next best thing to his lost love but ultimately couldn't not return to Jean when she was discovered alive. The knowledge of why he left along with her impotence in protecting her infant son was enough impitous for her to seek her own power; it was that power that drove her insane. But she is still her own woman, apart from Jean. Jean went looking for the fractured parts of the Phoenix, she never sought out Mad in order to be made whole.

kiss_lamia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By kiss_lamia

@HopesummersFORtheFUTURE: Originally Maddy was supposed to be herself but they retconned it into the whole clone thing but even then clone just means that there basically identical twins they look similar but thats about it, so in x-men the end when they joined together it was a different universe & chris claremont's kind of way of reconciling the two characters, but in 616 they are basically identical twins but totally different personalities and beings which is why i think maddy is able to remain independant.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jean is the good chi and maddie was jean's bad chi

chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By chasereis

@satyrgod: Very good assessment. Maddie, as I understand it was the continuation (or perhaps next chapter) of the Phoenix entity sans powers. Phoenix clearly states that it felt it robbed Jean of the memories and such and returned them in X-Factor 38. Maddie was, again from my understanding, always meant to be the link to returning Jean to life. Her crash on that date that the Phoenix killed itself was a dead giveaway Claremont meant for this to occur. Claremont didn't want to kill Jean in 137, but Jim Shooter insisted on it based on the fact she as the phoenix wiped out while civilizations.

@HopesummersFORtheFUTURE: Actually "The End" is an alternate continuity that may or may not have any bearing on the current 616 universe.

satyrgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By satyrgod

The problem, as I see it, is that Pheonix is so damn powerful that nobody knows what to do with it. Jean and Madelyn (and Selene for that matter) lack purpose and rivals. Their combination of telepathy and telekinesis allow full control of mind and matter; theoretically, there is nothing that they can't accomplish, no enemy they can't conquer. So what do they do with such power?

chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By chasereis

@satyrgod: It is just like Kal-L, once you go so far in power they become less human thus they are unable to relate to us or be related to us. Happens every time.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

#26  Edited By time1

Jean .

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Jean Grey more. It seemed to me that Madelyne Pryor just started accumulating random powers for the sake of plot convenience. I know that's part of Maddie's character arc, but I don't think it ever seemed like a natural outgrowth for her being a clone and etc. I never liked Scott's treatment of her, because it did seem cold-hearted, and seemed to drive her to insanity more quickly than it could have. Her experiences in the X-Men during that timeframe really didn't make him look that great.

I'm not too fond of the PF "Essence" Retcon, either, but at least it lead to an amusing issue of "Avengers vs X-Men". Seeing a bunch of Madelyne clones was funny.

@satyrgod said:

The problem, as I see it, is that Pheonix is so damn powerful that nobody knows what to do with it. Jean and Madelyn (and Selene for that matter) lack purpose and rivals. Their combination of telepathy and telekinesis allow full control of mind and matter; theoretically, there is nothing that they can't accomplish, no enemy they can't conquer. So what do they do with such power?

I think there is a lot of potential for them to do with that power. The problem is that these things are more suited to adventure-type stories than straight up brawls, which most superhero stories revolve around.

Avatar image for raimundopedrosa
    raimundopedrosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By raimundopedrosa

I like Jean, because she's got layer.

As Phoenix, she's good and caring. Phoenix would decimate Madelyne, btw.

Madelyne may be seen as Jean's temporary, but that's until Phoenix turns into DARK Phoenix... that's Jean's REAL dark side, and it would easily destroy anything that Madelyne tries to throw at her all, in any way, whatsoever.

As a character, I like Jean better, but she does kind of use her feminine charm to get away with anything lmao. She's kind of slutty.

Madelyne with the Phoenix Force is basically the same as Jean as the Dark Phoenix, though. That fight would be the ultimate stalemate.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, old thread. Without Goblin Queen, I think Madelyne could be interesting.

Can’t beat the real thing though, and the real deal is Jean Grey.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb52f8f25413
    deactivated-5bb52f8f25413

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Both are great in their respective ways (though I like Jean way much more).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.