Follow

Jean Grey

Character » Jean Grey appears in 8006 issues.

Jean Grey was one of the five original X-Men. An omega-level mutant telepath and powerful telekinetic, Jean has gained near limitless powers as a recurrent host of the Phoenix Force. She is known for her return from death and as the wife of Cyclops.

Jean Grey With Or Without The Phoenix?

dragoness1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Edited By dragoness1993

Who does everyone prefer, Jean with the Phoenix Force or without it?

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SC  Moderator

With out!!!!!!! PF is great for these big dramatic one off stories, and we have had enough of those with Jean already! So just let her hair down and have some mundane but well written small human stories, or in my opinion, go the Morrison route, which (early series stuff, not the stuff when he went to kill her) which was a toned down version. 

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    @SC said:
    With out!!!!!!! PF is great for these big dramatic one off stories, and we have had enough of those with Jean already! So just let her hair down and have some mundane but well written small human stories, or in my opinion, go the Morrison route, which (early series stuff, not the stuff when he went to kill her) which was a toned down version. 
    I agree with this^
    dragoness1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By dragoness1993

I think she should have it, it make her a stronger character and makes her more interesting :)

Avatar image for deactivated-579156ff11b09
    deactivated-579156ff11b09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jean with the Phoenix makes every other character irrelevant besides its been done over and over and over, let it go

Aqua11500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Aqua11500
    @Dragoness1993 said:
    I think she should have it, it make her a stronger character and makes her more interesting :)
    It also makes her character redundant and keeps her dead -_- 

@WarMachineMarkV said:
    Jean with the Phoenix makes every other character irrelevant besides its been done over and over and over, let it go
    Exactly. 

no PF.it has ruined her and screwed her character around for to long.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Mercy_
    @SC
    QFT
    dragoness1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dragoness1993

To be honest, I think she is more interesting with the PF, but she's been possessed by it way too many times. I think it would be cool if she had the PF, but had more control of it and didn't keep dying :(

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EnSabahNurX
    @Dragoness1993 said:
    To be honest, I think she is more interesting with the PF, but she's been possessed by it way too many times. I think it would be cool if she had the PF, but had more control of it and didn't keep dying :(
    I like her with it but I'd rather her just have a phoenix echo that way she has boosted powers, remains a contender, but leaves her more on a normal level so she can be on a team with normal mutants. The full phoenix always leads to her death
    Wattup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Wattup

Without it. I'm so sick of the Phoenix Force. Let the concept die and create NEW stories, dammit!

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By CellphoneGirl
    @SC said:
    Agreed! 
    Thorion88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Thorion88
    @SC said:
    This, let the PF goes die off in a dark part of space.
    Zjd106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Zjd106

I liked her with and without it, but i think it would be awesome if she dies for good at some point (no white hot room business) 

Avatar image for hoarderofhilarity
    Hoarderofhilarity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jean Grey with the phoenix force is tremendously monotonous, If they could just bring her back with a slight power boost that would be fantasazastix let the phoenix force bond with galactus or some thing to finally stop him getting beaten on by people.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

WITHOUT.

And original powerset thank you. She's too bloody God Mode all the time now.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

WITHOUT!
    ironshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ironshadow

I prefer Jean Grey DEAD.

SecretKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By SecretKnight

I like Jean without the Phoenix it knida screwed up her whole life so I like her without.
    Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Roddy010

I like her when she has the Phoenix Raptor...That way she is still a powerful omega level mutant without being too powerful...Its a nice balance of power...

thewidowsbite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By thewidowsbite

I prefer her without it. Though I am a huge Jean fan and am by no means a Phoenix-hater, I feel it cheats her character. She is tremendously powerful with it, yet keeps getting killed off whenever she has it. A major part of the reason Jean keeps getting killed off is because with the Phoenix she's too powerful to really be a part of a team (since she'd be powerful enough to solo every battle and render the team useless and unable to get a punch in) and the writers don't know what to do with her. I think they need to reton the whole "Jean and the Phoenix being one" thing and let the force fly off into the cosmos for a few millenia. I want fresher and more original stories for her because everytime she shows up the story revolves around her and her connection to the Phoenix. Furthermore she needs to be without it because people have forgotten how formidable she is on her own. Almost every battle I've seen on the vine with her in it has almost everyone (even many Jean supporters!) basically saying that Jean is nothing without the Phoenix and that she'd need it to face almost any foe. Writers need to display the range of power and skill attainable to her without calling on the Phoenix, and show what an omega-level mutant can really do! No matter what any naysayers have to say about her, Jean Grey is far too special and unique to be ignored and left dead (hence her always coming back).

Let Jean shine, Jean alone!
    GREGalicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By GREGalicious

Its really too late considering Jean's now the physical embodiment of the PHOENIX. I cant imagine her w/out it and at this point, it would be like Wolverine w/out his claws. 
    While i do like how they have slowly over the years revealed more about her relationship to the Phoenix, writers just need to find a balance and not make every Jean story, a Phoenix story...and pair her w/ WOLVERINE already.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Without. She sucks either way, but she's utterly repulsive when she's Phoenix, aka Captain God Mode Sue.

Avatar image for therealjeangrey
    TheRealJeanGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheRealJeanGrey

I love the dynamic that her and the PF share... Tho I understand others perspective when they say it makes her redundant and a joke....And I believe that a GOOD writer can make anything work... but if i have to choose i say without.... She's still the best telepath...lol.... i kno im gonna get it for that.
    marvellover1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By marvellover1

I honestly cant see jean not having the phoenix now, they did became one, i like her both ways, the phoenix gives her character more depth, but i can see why people prefer jean alone.

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
    fenixREVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By fenixREVOLUTION

I would rather see her without the Phoenix Force, so she can hopefully stick around and not get killed off.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fenixREVOLUTION said:
    I would rather see her without the Phoenix Force, so she can hopefully stick around and not get killed off.
    Everytime they try that, the writers get bored of her power set and decide to amp them up. Not sure how old you are but she went through the 80s on the original X-Factor team and most of the 90s with no Phoenix Force. 
    ssstarquin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ssstarquin

with.. but da writers dont seem to b able to handle omnipotent powers wit mutants well.... so 4 now.. without.. but cant keep da white pOTcrown without da PF 4 long i guess... comes with da character..

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssstarquin: Writers have issues writing for nigh-omnipotent characters whether they are mutants or not, especially if they are in a team-based book.The problem is exacerbated with the X-Men because such a major theme was related to race, class and physical issues, and a nearly omnipotent character doesn't get affected by those so those.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.