Follow

Jean Grey

Character » Jean Grey appears in 8004 issues.

Jean Grey was one of the five original X-Men. An omega-level mutant telepath and powerful telekinetic, Jean has gained near limitless powers as a recurrent host of the Phoenix Force. She is known for her return from death and as the wife of Cyclops.

Am I the only one who doesn't like Morrison version of Jean Grey

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

#1  Edited By time1
    No Caption Provided

I feel Morrison had no understanding of Cyclops and Jean Grey marriage, in one of his interviews a few years old ago, he said that he found Cyclops and Jean Grey relationship boring. So he didn't spend any time on there marriage at all, which is why he spend most of his time on Emma and Scott. He also didn't give Jean Grey any time to deal with the physic affair, it was only one issue that she confronted Emma and Scott about it. Two stories later she was in space, then she came back and was killed off by Xorn. Then the next story, she was in the future and changing the past, giving Scott the nudge to accept Emma offer. Which was like a nail in her coffin, so speak.

After Scott merge with apocalypse, it left a darkness in him and instead of sharing with the one person who can understand, who know what's it's like to be control by a powerful force, full of darkness, you know his wife. He share his feelings with his Emma Frost, which makes no sense at all. Not only would Jean grey understand what he was going through, she also was the one who separated him from Apocalypse in the first place, so she experience what he was feeling as well.

Also Jean Grey was reunited with the Phoenix force and she had under control. Then Morrison killed her off.

Then there was Wolverine comforting Emma Frost, I understand why he did, both of them have a lot in common. They both love someone who is married to someone esle. Wouldn't it made more sense for Logan to check on Jean, considering he loves her more that anyone, he cares more for her.

So what did you guys think of Morrison Jean Grey and am I the only one who didn't like his version of her. Should he have show more respect for her character and does Jean Grey deserve some justice ?

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Crash_Recovery

I don't necessarily think that these stories were a failing of writing Jean Grey.

Cyclops went through a severe trauma and, as sometimes happens in relationships, he didn't feel like he should burden his spouse with the weight of what he was going through.

As a result he shared this grief with Emma which led to a kindling of affection between them that should have been happening with his wife.

This sort of thing happens every day, unfortunately, just usually with less mutation and explosions.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By AgeofHurricane

I don't think you understand what comics are tbh.

xmentas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By xmentas

@AgeofHurricane: why not?

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
    deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Morrison obviously did not care about canon, he felt the X-franchise was stale (which was true to a point) and he was going to blow things up like he has with every other project in the past. It's just his style, anytime he touches an established title he is going to make vast changes and he does not care if, and probably likes them to be controversial.

I will give you that many of his characterizations I took issue with to varying degrees, it's just par for the course when you have a Morrison or Ellis involved, they will make things interesting but you have to expect some things to seem out of place.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@time: maybe morrison just liked emma frost more and wanted her to be the new x-men leading lady

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By Supreme Marvel

I haven't read much X stuff (X-Force & New X-Men being the exception). I do have Morrison's X-Men on my list to read. Only 'cause he wrote it.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By dernman
    @Brazen_Intellect said:

Morrison obviously did not care about canon, he felt the X-franchise was stale (which was true to a point) and he was going to blow things up like he has with every other project in the past. It's just his style, anytime he touches an established title he is going to make vast changes and he does not care if, and probably likes them to be controversial.

I will give you that many of his characterizations I took issue with to varying degrees, it's just par for the course when you have a Morrison or Ellis involved, they will make things interesting but you have to expect some things to seem out of place.

Morrison only ever cares about his vision. Forget cannon, continuity, or writing a character in character. Just take a look at his run on Batman. Especially Batman Inc.  

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dernman said:

@Brazen_Intellect said:

Morrison only ever cares about his vision. Forget cannon, continuity, or writing a character in character. Just take a look at his run on Batman. Especially Batman Inc.

Very true, which is why I like his independent work far more than his Marvel / DC work. He needs his own sandbox where he does not need to follow anything prior, established titles and characters suffer somewhat under his pen.

You could also say this about many of the current big names who cut their teeth on indies and then came to the Big 2 publishers

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Mercy_

@Supreme Marvel said:

I haven't read much X stuff (X-Force & New X-Men being the exception). I do have Morrison's X-Men on my list to read. Only 'cause he wrote it.

You need to read his run and Whedon's Astonishing run. Mandatory reading.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Supreme Marvel

@Mercy_: the funny thing is, I read Whedon's first issue when it came out but stopped to get more DC stuff. I would like to get into it. I hear its the only time Cyclops is not a MASSIVE douche?

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mercy_

@Supreme Marvel said:

@Mercy_: the funny thing is, I read Whedon's first issue when it came out but stopped to get more DC stuff. I would like to get into it. I hear its the only time Cyclops is not a MASSIVE douche?

Dude...there aren't really words to encompass how amazing he writes Cyclops. The entire run is just..it's one of the best runs on a comic I've ever read, but speaking specifically to Cyclops (and Emma) it's the best they're ever going to be written in most likeliness.

If you're in the Cyclops is a douche camp, then you're gonna love Whedon's take on the character because he's so not.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Supreme Marvel

@Mercy_: Whedon has always been good at writing characters. Yeah, Cyclops will be a douche after read it because I'd know he won't be any better anywhere else. :P

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mercy_

@Supreme Marvel: Whedon's gone on record saying that Cyke is one of his favs ;)

You should pick up the trades :D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mercy_ said:

@Supreme Marvel said:

Dude...there aren't really words to encompass how amazing he writes Cyclops. The entire run is just..it's one of the best runs on a comic I've ever read, but speaking specifically to Cyclops (and Emma) it's the best they're ever going to be written in most likeliness.

If you're in the Cyclops is a douche camp, then you're gonna love Whedon's take on the character because he's so not.

Astonishing started off with what is easily the best characterization of any X-writer since Claremont's legendary run. Whedon pretty much nailed every major character he touched, for a long time reader you could instantly see that "he got it".

Some of the actions and plotlines are shaky, but they are worth the read for the dialogue alone.

As Mercy said, this was before the X-Men went completely off the rails and everyone was written as tyrants and morons to push storylines.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Supreme Marvel

@Mercy_ said:

As much as I like Whedon. I'd never say I'd like Cyclops.

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#17  Edited By x_29

@Supreme Marvel said:

@Mercy_ said:

As much as I like Whedon. I'd never say I'd like Cyclops.

I think you might :)

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Supreme Marvel

@x_29: Oh, don't worry. I'll pick them up. I meant the gif as "no" to liking Cyclops.

VesKaGan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By VesKaGan

@time said:

After Scott merge with apocalypse, it left a darkness in him and instead of sharing with the one person who can understand, who know what's it's like to be control by a powerful force, full of darkness, you know his wife. He share his feelings with his Emma Frost, which makes no sense at all. Not only would Jean grey understand what he was going through, she also was the one who separated him from Apocalypse in the first place, so she experience what he was feeling as well.

When he tried to open up (and that was before he went to Emma), she dismissed him. "You're not the only person who was ever posessed by an evil spirit, Scott... the bad feeling goes away."

And no, you're not the only one who doesn't like Morrison's Jean.

Madame_Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Madame_Mist

I liked her. She basically became her own woman when she distanced herself from Scott, but then they killed her. I mean seriously? Morrison made me fall in love with Jean and then he killed her off. He is a mean, mean man.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By fodigg

I think Morrison was taking chances and breaking them out of their rut. At least he provided reasons for changes in their behavior as opposed to some writers who wouldn't bother and just kill off the current girlfriend or make her insane (poor Polaris) or something.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By time1

@VesKaGan said:

@time said:

When he tried to open up (and that was before he went to Emma), she dismissed him. "You're not the only person who was ever posessed by an evil spirit, Scott... the bad feeling goes away."

And no, you're not the only one who doesn't like Morrison's Jean.

She didn't dismissed him, when she was laying in a hospital bed. She ask him open up and he didn't. My point is Morrison, spent no time on Jean Grey and Scott relationship, so he had no understanding of there marriage.

The question is why did he open up to Emma instead of Jean Grey ?

Why did Logan comfort Emma instead of Jean Grey ?

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By time1

@Madame_Mist said:

I liked her. She basically became her own woman when she distanced herself from Scott, but then they killed her. I mean seriously? Morrison made me fall in love with Jean and then he killed her off. He is a mean, mean man.

Morrison is twat and his run on X-Men wasn't the best. It's one of the worst runs

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#24  Edited By x_29

@time said:

@Madame_Mist said:

Morrison is twat and his run on X-Men wasn't the best. It's one of the worst runs

No it is not, not even close. There are far runs of the x-men over the years that are much worse in general ( Chuck Austen, Chris Claremont ( 2000), Matt Fraction, Fabian Nicieza and etc.)

queenfrost_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By queenfrost_

I think Morrison just looked bad because he completely shaked up what Chris Claremont had spent years building. Although I did not like his run, I did like what they did to Jean.

HOWEVER, her death was stupid. Both of them actually.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.