Follow

Jason Todd

Character » Jason Todd appears in 1755 issues.

Jason Todd was the second Robin, until he was brutally murdered by the Joker. After he was resurrected, Jason learned Batman didn't avenge his death. Anguished and seeking vengeance, he initially turned against his mentor and father figure and took on the Clown Prince's former identity: the Red Hood. He eventually returned to the Bat-Family and assembled a team of anti-heroes known as the Outlaws.

Off My Mind: Jason Todd 's Relationship With the Bat-Family

• 146 results
    JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By JohnnyGat

@saoakden said:

I have mixed feelings about this. I can't decide if Jason should be back in the family or not. Whenever I think of Jason Todd, I think of him as an Anti-Hero for his actions in Under the Red Hood and Battle for the Cowl. He was fighting crime but also killing it. I think he does this to get Bruce's attention. I think deep down he wants to be on Batman's side again. Why does Jason wear the Bat symbol on his costume now, to tick off Bruce or to show Bruce he wants to be a part of the Bat family again?

They already established the why there is a Bat sign on Red Hoods costume. It's not meant to be something to get Batman's attention, when Jason Todd washed up in an island coincidentally inhabited by Starfire, Kori nursed Jason back to health when he needed clothes Kori opened a compartment where she had kept clothing from past missions (none ever shown). Jason saw a Nightwing costume and he flipped a bit with Kori telling him off and that clothes are just clothes and how the symbols things represented should not affect them and how they should live in the present or something along those lines. Red Hood wears that costume because it fits and I assume it has enough protective material that he'd keep wearing the same thing, the point is that there is no deep meaning to the costume it's part of Jason's growth as a character, him moving on from the whole "why didn't Bruce avenge me" mentality, that's why in the issues where he is shown training they made it clear that he's being trained to let go of the rage he has built up because of that lack of vengeance against the Joker.

hyenascar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#52  Edited By hyenascar

Let's start with the word "Hero". Many think that the word connotates someone does not kill. This is absurd. Hero is a greek word used on many of their stories protagonists who faced adversity. Generally the rule of thumbs was that the hero was half god. They would kill all the time and was seen as heroic for it. Now, the word incorporates that they are willing to sacrifice in some way as means to a heroic end. So, is Jason Todd a hero, yes.

An antihero is someone whose main goals mirror heroes, but also lacks traditional heroic attributes. Is Jason Todd an anti-hero, probably.

Everything that motivates Jason Todd also makes for an excellent reason to keep him as a peripheral character in the Batman family. He would be fun in some stories, but his sense of self seems to come from outside of it now.

All great people have times when they are in a lull and need extra motivation to push themselves when they're tired or don't feel like working on themselves. From an athletic point of view Michael Jordan, hated to lose and his fear of losing would constantly drive him so he would never lose again. Bruce Wayne pushed himself with the thought of his parents and making sure this wouldn't happen to anyone else. It seems to me that Jason uses his anger at allowing maniacs like the Joker to survive to push him to the heights he has achieved today. Just letting go doesn't seem so logical in his ability to keep going. Jason thrives on the anger when he loses motivation.

Foggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By Foggen

Jesus Christ, they brought back Jason Todd? Why not bring back fucking Thomas Wayne while you're at it?

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Mega_spidey01

i like jason todd as an antihero and separate from the bat-family, but helps them out every now and then when he is really need. batman under the hood is one of my favorite DC animated movies.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Mega_spidey01

that a family portrait of them makes me think of the godfather for some reason.

VyseCarma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By VyseCarma

The same has been said about Green Arrow after all he has no problem in killing a major villian.

I don't know I personally never liked anything I read with Jason as a Robin, but past when he became Red Hood I've enjoyed everything I can get my hands on, except his looks sometimes.

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#57  Edited By RedOwl_1

I believe he could be capable of overcome all that, if Bruce wasn't as stubborn as him of course.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#58  Edited By saoakden

@JohnnyGat: I think I missed that issue when they explained the costume. I'm looking forward to seeing Jason and the Joker coming face to face each other in the upcoming Batman storyline Death in the Family. Man if Joker was bad when he killed Jason back in the 80's, imagine what he'll do when the story is released. I'm getting the feeling its going to be a painful experience for Jason.

bennyq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By bennyq

I mentioned this in another thread, but it doesn't really make sense that Jason came to help against Terminus. He wasn't a big threat like the Talons were, and how did Jason even know to come? Plus, I'm pretty sure he's in space with Kori isn't he?

britsera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By britsera

Jason is like the resident bad ass of a bad ass family.

SlamAdams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 59

#61  Edited By SlamAdams

I think Jason could have a spot but not without some raw feelings. Honestly I would love to read a book abou the four robins teaming up a la superman/batman book

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#62  Edited By BatWatch

As much as I dislike what Lodbell has done to Tim, I give him credit for the way he has handled Jason. For the first time since his revival, Jason is actually behaving consitently and reasonably. If really hacked me off when he went from being a vigilante to a psychopath pre-Flashpoint depending on who was writing him.

Phantim555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Phantim555

Gotta say, love the article.

To me Jason is an unofficial member of the Bat family. Will he ever be at family dinners chatting it up with Bruce and the others, no, (well maybe with Tim because they’ve already had breakfast) but will he be there to help out if needed like with the Night of Owls, absolutely. The thing to remember with Jason is, he’s not looking for redemption, he’s not looking to be saved. He knows what he’s doing is wrong and he doesn’t care. I like what the new 52 is doing because in all honesty we don’t know what’s happened to Jason aside from him dying and coming back. In Red Hood and the Outlaws 6 we saw a confrontation between Batman and Jason, and Nightwing, that went a little differently than Under the Red Hood. Now does it suck that the story may not exist anymore? Yea a little but I’m up for seeing something new too. Anyway back on topic I’d love for Jason to be that member that swoops in just as Batman’s about to get killed by something, put a bullet in the bad guys head, have a moral argument with Batman about why killing is wrong and then just walk away. Plus to me Jason was already ruined before the New 52 when he was working with Scarlett. He was cool in Under the Red Hood and even Battle for the Cowl but he’d officially snapped then and it was disappointing that he went from this cool, motorcycle jacket, gun totting badass, to literally the redheaded stepchild crying out for daddy’s attention.

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#64  Edited By TheMess1428

Jason was obviously not asked to be in the picture because it's supposed to be common knowledge that Jason Todd died. To have a portrait done with him alive after his death would raise too many questions.

neiliusprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#65  Edited By neiliusprime

Don't expect Jason to start being great friends with them or even be a full time member of the Bat Family because he will always have some bitterness to Batman and the Robins, but I like the new 52 version of the Red Hood a lot. He is showing that he helps them out in Gotham when it matters, but he feels like the outcast in the family so there is no need to be really close to them

Avatar image for mercwithamouth2385
    MercWithaMouth2385

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love any story involving Jason. He can be a villain, antihero, or come back to being a hero. Either way I'll be there reading. I really enjoy his mythos and when they add to it. His demeanor and experience make him a very formidable foe and it would probably be in the "Wayne's" best interest to send him a Christmas card every year.

Fudgie29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Fudgie29

@Pauldro: Great idea!

LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By LordRequiem

Has Nightwing ever beaten Todd? Only I'd like to think he can, could or has.

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By JohnnyGat

@bennyq said:

I mentioned this in another thread, but it doesn't really make sense that Jason came to help against Terminus. He wasn't a big threat like the Talons were, and how did Jason even know to come? Plus, I'm pretty sure he's in space with Kori isn't he?

Depends really. The space adventure could have come after or before that. The thing is when it comes to these separate stories time is just something you can't trust. Take the JLA issues and the issues of GL, though they're released in similar time frames obviously due to the GL's story and Hal having his ring in JLA and not having it for most of GL (added that to the lack of time Hal would have for JL business in his own series) you can tell that the one is before with the other as an after.

I agree that it hardly made sense that he appeared to "fight" Terminus but if it's anything to substitute sense I'm guessing he came back just to "prove" to Damian that he still needs the help (doesn't make sense to me but it does make better sense than him wanting to fight for the sake of it).

Avatar image for secret_identity
    Secret Identity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#70  Edited By Secret Identity

I'm a pretty big fan of Red Hood when he is handled well. I enjoyed him immensely in Under the Hood and a bunch of other Winnick stories and I quiet like the way they handled him in a state of flux... trying to find his place; Going from out-and-out vengeance against Batman to trying to become him to trying to replace him. I'm enjoying his part in the new 52 and I like that whilst he hasn't forgiven what happened (and why should he) he has put it behind him and has left Gotham and the Bat family behind him to do his own thing. Even if he does pop up from time to time to help out when needed.

What I don't understand is why he is still ok with wearing one of Nightwing's old battle suits and hasn't got his own (sans bat logo) yet. ;) (Obviously I understand it really; it's to sell comics on the Bat-element)

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@LordRequiem said:

Has Nightwing ever beaten Todd? Only I'd like to think he can, could or has.

Yes, in Battle for the Cowl.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
    YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

Jason is awesome and all and I could see Jason returning to the Bat-Family, but only if there is a good explanation/storyline that goes along with it.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By daredevil21134

I hate seeing him work with the Bat Family

Ganthetsward20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 3

#74  Edited By Ganthetsward20

I feel for Jason and feel he is better off being separated from the bat family as he often tries to be. But i'm sure he would like to be part of the family he's just got some major unresolved issues.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#75  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

I like Jason, and his relationship with the bat-family and not being part of it.

Avatar image for crimsonalchemist
    CrimsonAlchemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By CrimsonAlchemist

I personally like him as the black sheep of the bat family.

redhood21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By redhood21

i like him being close with tim and i wouldnt mind dick and jason teaming up. i can understand if he wouldnt work with batman but it would be awesome. im just wondering what duece happened to scarlet?

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#78  Edited By longbowhunter

@VyseCarma said:

The same has been said about Green Arrow after all he has no problem in killing a major villian.

I don't know I personally never liked anything I read with Jason as a Robin, but past when he became Red Hood I've enjoyed everything I can get my hands on, except his looks sometimes.

I'm confused, people want to see Green Arrow as a villain or they dont like Ollie as an antihero? Besides Cry For Justice wasnt the first time GA had killed somebody. Unless Mike Grell's run wasnt canon.

Toastalchemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Toastalchemist

Does anyone know why Jason became Red Hood after he came back. It seems strange to me that he would use an identity/name the Joker used.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#80  Edited By JonesDeini

@longbowhunter said:

For me Jason only works as a villain. I don't at all care for the antihero thing.

He doesn't really work at all in execution for me. I get him as an idea and have come around to post crisis Jason. I honestly feel he could've stayed dead and had a bigger impact as Bruce's biggest failure. Winnick bought him back, but aside from making him a Punisher knockoff, well...didn't have much else of a plan & it's really shown. The last time I read anything remotely interesting with him was when Morrison used him in Batman/Robin (which it would seem his fans hated oh so much lol). Honestly, if he'd stayed in Arkham and was forgotten post Flash Point I would've been cool with that.

vernierhawk001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By vernierhawk001

@wessaari said:

i agree G-Man. this is a step closer, but on another note, we havent seen them interact in the new 52. yes there is a flashback to the Under the Hood story, but thats not the same. A good question is, is Bruce glad that Jason has come to help twice, and a possible third time once the Death of the Family arc comes around? Bruce has mentioned Jason in Batman and Robin, and in a good way. So there are steps being made, but many more steps that need to happen before Jason is even remotely welcomed back. We know that Dick is hesitant about him, Damian doesnt like him, Babs doesnt like him, and Tim is giving him a chance. Jason doesnt like Grayson, doesnt like Damian, doesnt give two craps about Babs, and respects Tim. It seems to me that Tim could be the one who at least gets Jason's foot in the door to being brought back, btu for now he shouldnt be back and I for one am glad with who he is with and what he is doing.

This is interesting to me see as how Tim was the one who replaced him. You would think that he'd have problems with Tim. And when did Dick start to dislike Jason, so much? In Battle for the Cowl, Dickw as reaching out to Jason during the final battle, wasn't he?

CitizenJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By CitizenJP

Lol I really like that family picture of Bruce and the others. Very classy.

BATinc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By BATinc

He should just snap and become an ultimate villain against the Bat Family. He'd probably be one of their biggest threats too. I just think he should be hell bent on killing them all. I think that would be an epic story.

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#84  Edited By Darkmount1

Is everyone deliberately looking past the pre-Crisis version of Jason???

Phantim555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Phantim555

@Toastalchemist: That's part of the reason why, it shows his connection to both Batman and Joker because Batman failed to save Joker when he was the Red Hood in turn unleashing Joker on Gotham just as he failed to save Jason from Joker unleashing a new Red Hood.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By SandMan_

All Bruce has to do is give him a hug.

Ghostmarch5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Ghostmarch5

I actually don't know what to think about Jason Todd. On one hand he did try to usurp the mantle of Batman from Dick Grayson, shot Damian Wayne, and impaled Tim Drake with a batarang. However, after that he did reform his ways and is working on being a better person. So, yea.

VenomousDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By VenomousDragon

Everytime Jason blows a hole in someones head, Its a small insult to Bruce and in my opinion Jason should never get along with Bruce again. I like that he is friends with Tim (the middle kids). His relationship with Dick should be like and older brother relationship, where Jason doesnt actually hate Dick but they dont really get along either. He should hate Damian like any brother hates an annoying younger brother. I wouldnt mind seeing him interact Barbra either but no matter how much he gets along with everyone else he should never get along with Bruce, nor should he be in the Batfamily directly. He is the Black Sheep on the outside and should stay that way.

vicske77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By vicske77

I personally like Jason Todd. I think he will always be a part of the Bat Family if he likes it or not. He balances out the Family. Without Jason Todd the Bat Family gets boring. There all the perfect hero (besides Damian). Jason Todd tarnishes that reputation a little. He shows that The Bat Family can be compromised although he and the Bat Family are becoming more of allies.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By daredevil21134

@VenomousDragon said:

Everytime Jason blows a hole in someones head, Its a small insult to Bruce and in my opinion Jason should never get along with Bruce again. I like that he is friends with Tim (the middle kids). His relationship with Dick should be like and older brother relationship, where Jason doesnt actually hate Dick but they dont really get along either. He should hate Damian like any brother hates an annoying younger brother. I wouldnt mind seeing him interact Barbra either but no matter home much he gets along with everyone else he should never get along with Bruce, nor should he be in the Batfamily directly. He is the Black Sheep on the outside and should stay that way.

Agreed 100%

timelord786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By timelord786

I am not sure if i will like Jason as much if he stopped killing and using guns. I mean its what makes him unique from the rest of the bat clan.

Tacowingnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Tacowingnut

People, people, people... Really.

Batman and Red Hood are NEVER supposed to get along. I read in one of the comments here that the different Robins represent the different sides of Batman, and that Jason was the dark, killing desire Batman has but forces himself not to put into practice. GENIUS!

Just think of it:

A mega threat pops up. The Bat-family tries to deal with it(Red Hood included), but get their collective butts kicked all around the battlefield to the point of helplessness. Batman tries a last stand but ends up staring up from the ground. Red hood suddenly comes up behind the guy. Batman, against killing to the end, wordlessly tries to reachout in protest. Red Hood says some cliche phrase applying to their situation, then...

BOOM

Bad guy goes down, Batman is forced to turn away in both disgust and pain, the scowl we love so much plastered on his face.

Hmm... I seem to have let my imagination get away with me. Ah, well... A man can dream.

kal-el09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By kal-el09

Jason owns! He should be welcomed back into the family

Avatar image for necrotic_lycanthrope
    Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

DC thinks that because he used to be a Robin that people always want to read Jason Todd teaming up with Batman and the Robins. NO. HECK NO. He should be solo, with teaming up once in a while with new characters. Give him his own rogues gallery. Don't just turn him into a Robin with a chip on his shoulder.

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#95  Edited By DanialCarroll

I agree with what many are saying. Batman already has his tribe of Robins, so having Jason as the eternal outcast, or black sheep, makes the whole dynamic more exciting. Batman will never approve of Jason's ways, and on the flipside, if Jason stopped doing these things, he would no longer be the same character and would end up being... Nightwing.

VyseCarma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By VyseCarma

Some people think hes a villian. Look what happened in ID Crisis and then he goes around and kills people like an anti-hero. I'm not saying I agree with them just pointing out that yur arguements have also been made against GA

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

#97  Edited By MrMazz

I really like Todd. Now I never read him as Robin but I love the idea of a shamed black sheep of the Bat Family.

xanthiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By xanthiss

I have to say I like Jason Todd as a character. I liked him as a villain and I like him as a hero.

TheHeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By TheHeat

Red Hood is the only DC character I like not named Joker.

Avatar image for thenexusrebound
    thenexusrebound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By thenexusrebound

I like Jason as the Black Sheep of the Bat-Family. It's fine if Bruce still worries about him and perhaps Jason does work in the shadows to help, but it should never be welcome back to the family. It would just be weird.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.