Follow

Jason Todd

Character » Jason Todd appears in 1754 issues.

Jason Todd was the second Robin, until he was brutally murdered by the Joker. After he was resurrected, Jason learned Batman didn't avenge his death. Anguished and seeking vengeance, he initially turned against his mentor and father figure and took on the Clown Prince's former identity: the Red Hood. He eventually returned to the Bat-Family and assembled a team of anti-heroes known as the Outlaws.

Making a Case for Jason Todd

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#151  Edited By Primmaster64
    @Zoom: Yep that's right. But like I said...it comes down to what you like. He's in prison...*sigh*

that's pretty cool.

@daredevil21134:
    You haven't payed that much attention then.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#152  Edited By daredevil21134
    @Primmaster64 said:
    " @Zoom: Yep that's right. But like I said...it comes down to what you like. He's in prison...*sigh*

that's pretty cool.

@daredevil21134: You haven't payed that much attention then. "

Not to Damian
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By Primmaster64
    @daredevil21134: lol
    Avatar image for --defunct--defunct--defunct--d
    darkestknight2.0--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -8

User Lists: 4

in a way u have to feel sympathetic towards jason. he has all the characteristics of a tragic hero
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By Primmaster64
    @darkestknight2.0: Indeed.
    darksoul7th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#156  Edited By darksoul7th
    @Mbecks14: Hell ya he is Awesome!
    Avatar image for journey_into_chaos
    Journey Into Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Keep him as an anti-hero.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By daredevil21134
    @Journey Into Chaos said:
    "Keep him as an anti-hero. "
    georgethecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#159  Edited By georgethecat
    @JonesDeini said:
    " @Babs:    " The return of Jason Todd psychologically affected Batman and allowed him to develop as a character. He represents Batman's failures and became a much more interesting character after his death as Robin."Babs, I'm going to have to staunchly disagree. His death already accomplished that and in a much more effective way. He was already the symbol of Batman's failure in death, that was his great impact, his one accomplishment. We saw Batman downward spiral in the following arc which introduced Tim Drake, the best Robin IMO. And Clayface impersonating him in Hush handled how Bruce would react to seeing him again, and how the memory of that failure still haunts him. 

Jason's return allowed Bruce's character to grow in how he dealt with the son he wanted back badly enough to consider putting his body in the Lazarus Pits. And it also meant Jason's character could actually have feelings, emotions and question his father-figure, rather than simply be a permanent angst generator for Batman. Or have writers and artists use his memorial as something to continually smash to signify an over-the-top emotional moment when things got out of control in the Batcave.  
    georgethecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By georgethecat
    @Zoom said:
    " @daredevil21134 said:
    "@Zoom said:
    "

Hey "bro," people dislike your character so much that over five thousand of them called DC and paid a dollar so that he'd die.

"
    over 20 years ago "
    Yeah, before he was written by Winnick and the "writers" behind Countdown.  Now he's much better right? ;) "
    It actually wasn't $1. It was 50 cents. 5, 271 "people" also paid that same amount to vote him to live.  On top of that, it's quite possible that some people were simply voting for "Robin" to die, not knowing it wasn't the original Robin, as many people initially believed the original (Dick Grayson) had died.  
    Jim Starlin, who wrote A Death in the Family and who was responsible for writing Jason in Batman up to and including his death, did not like the idea of a Robin. He thought the idea of a child sidekick was "ludicrous." He even played up making Jason more bratty in order to make him more unlikeable.  
    Furthermore, comic fandom's propensity to suggest that Jason deserved death for "bratty" or "punk-like" behaviour or disobedience is certainly rather heavy-handed when you weigh out the supposed "crimes" and whether they actually merit the punishment. 
    Arkham J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#161  Edited By Arkham J
    @Zoom said: well both Damian and Jason happen to be my favorite Robins, they maybe be " overconfident, underachieving annoyances who are overshadowed by the more likeable Tim Drake" 

but its because of their flaws they are better characters they can go either way be the hero or villain. 

Damian will eventually grow and become better than Tim and Jason Todd 1st Red Hood persona was brilliant.
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#162  Edited By No_Name_

fix

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#163  Edited By JonesDeini
    @Zoom:  
    And I didn't even like him then lol AND YES!!! He's a poor hobo's Punisher!!!
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By daredevil21134

yeah
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By JonesDeini
    @Babs said:
    " I think some people are too hopped up on fanboy pills to bother reading the article! "
    Oh I read it, very well written, Babs.  Just don't agree with it and felt like voicing my dissenting opinion in response, had I agreed with your views I'd be equally dedicated to supporting them. Last I checked when one submits their works to public view, public criticism of the work and the ideas expressed there in are par the course.
    Avatar image for saiyan_earthling
    saiyan_earthling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Him getting out of prison, changing his hairstyle to black with a white stripe and getting back into his biker Red Hood outfit or an improved one would be a good choice.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By JonesDeini
    @daredevil21134:   
    Run that vote again an I'd bet money the results would end the same, him as a fossil fuel, and by a far and away margin these days.
    Grubich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#168  Edited By Grubich

I think he should save Bruce and Damian by killing the killing the Joker. And by killing the Joker, I mean beating the crap out of him, then throwing him off a building onto Gordon's cop car, dying on an epicly awesome impact.
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By JonesDeini
    @georgethecat:  
       It's not that I don't see your angle, folk because really I do. However, I do believe the lazarus pit thing and all the other emotional stuff was ALL READY dealt with by Bruce. I still don't see the necessity in bringing him back. I maintain my position that it was a badly conceived, badly executed copy cat move in order to generate sales. What did bringing him back do for Batman that didn't occur or couldn't have occured otherwise? And when he was alive he had emotions/feelings/questioned Bruce's ideals and methods therefore I can't buy that angle either. And as far as writers (mis)handling him had he not been resurrected goes, I can't say that I approve of the way he has been handled, especially by Judd Winnick. It's clear I've never been a fan of the character, but his resurrection and characterization thus far has ensured that I won't be anytime soon.   
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By daredevil21134
    @saiyan_earthling said:
    "Him getting out of prison, changing his hairstyle to black with a white stripe and getting back into his biker Red Hood outfit or an improved one would be a good choice. "
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By JonesDeini
    @Arkham J:  
    Actually Batman 666 shows the opposite, folk. Damien says he's not on the same level as Bruce or Dick as Batman. Hence he fights "dirty" and cheats
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By daredevil21134

I'm a Jason Todd fan 4 Like I don't care how anybody else feels about him......Jason Todd rules
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By Primmaster64

You already stated that you don't like him....my question is...why do you keep coming here?

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By daredevil21134
    @Primmaster64:
    Because the people that hate love him.lol....I think its funny how many times the people that hate him....like to post multiple comments
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By JonesDeini
    @georgethecat:  
    See that logic could work either way, folk. At the time this caught mainstream media attention and many people were outraged because they thought their childhood Robin, Dick Grayson, had been killed. It's not a drastic leap to assume that some fans who had stopped keeping up with the title regularly were voting to keep who they thought was Dick Grayson alive.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By daredevil21134

I wish people could get off something that happened before most Jason Todd fans of today were born

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By JonesDeini
    @daredevil21134:  
    Love the guy?...Nah, I just love a good debate, and where his name pops up one's sure to follow. I gotta say that you Jason Todd fans will ride to the ends of the earth for the guy. I commend and admire that kind of loyalty. You and I have danced this dance before in a Jason Todd thread, so as you said before I'm a Stewart fan, feel free to feel how you feel about that. lol
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By Primmaster64
    @daredevil21134: People this days...well at least Zoom calmed down.:) But yes, everyone has the right to express they're opinions....Johns cool...Kyle is cooler.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By daredevil21134
    @JonesDeini said:
    " @daredevil21134:  Love the guy?...Nah, I just love a good debate, and where his name pops up one's sure to follow. I gotta say that you Jason Todd fans will ride to the ends of the earth for the guy. I commend and admire that kind of loyalty. You and I have danced this dance before in a Jason Todd thread, so as you said before I'm a Stewart fan, feel free to feel how you feel about that. lol "

I already told I like John Stewart....and like you just said were loyal fans but thanks for the invitation but i'm not in the mood to argue with ya bro.As long as you know i'm a loyal fan i've done my job
    waruikumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#180  Edited By waruikumo

dead stay dead.  at this point he is kinda like proto man or possibly the green ranger.  Which means little kids probably love him, but adults hate him. 

I don't mind him.  I didn't read the "Lost Years" series, I'm assuming it was ok.   

My question is he a bigger failure to bruce in life, death, or rebirth?

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By Primmaster64

Blame Jim Starlin.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By JonesDeini
    @Primmaster64:  
    Kyle is cooler, agreed.
    Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#183  Edited By Zoom
    @darkestknight2.0 said:
    "in a way u have to feel sympathetic towards jason. he has all the characteristics of a tragic hero "

Except, you know, the hero part.
    Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By Zoom
    @georgethecat said:
    " @Zoom said:
    " Jim Starlin....He even played up making Jason more bratty in order to make him more unlikeable."

Awesome.

I was not aware of this.  More proof that Jason was a pretty bad character since, you know, he was intentionally so.  It definately explains why he was much more likeable in Wolfman's Teen Titans than he was in Batman stories. 

You do make a good point about about people possibly calling in just to kill Robin, not really feeling anything towards Jason as a character.  With the rather slight difference between the kill and spare vote counts, it is plausible that people just being dicks or people that just didn't like the idea of Robin made the difference.  Probably not, though.
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By Primmaster64

Like I said, blame the writer not the character.

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By Zoom
    @Arkham J said:
    " @Zoom said: well both Damian and Jason happen to be my favorite Robins, they maybe be " overconfident, underachieving annoyances who are overshadowed by the more likeable Tim Drake"  but its because of their flaws they are better characters"

Possibly.

I think a huge part of the reason it makes them less liked is because Jason and Damien are bullies.  They try to steal and kill and disobey without really knowing the consequences of their actions.  This puts them at odds with the typical comic book reader. 

Tim on the other hand, is probably the most popular Robin because he's a nerd.  He's from an upper middle class family and he's well educated.  He's a problem solver and not a brawler and his team book was written by PAD so your average comic book reader roots for him. 

Damien, I feel is partially excused for his arrogance and violent behavior since he was raised by basketcase Talia.  I feel he can grow into the role of Robin, especially if the Titans stuff pans out.  Jason...kinda was never going to.  Yeah, he was developing as a character but he didn't have that excuse for being a dick.  He was kinda just a dick.  And as much as I do hate Jason, I actually don't hate him as Robin, especially in Death in the Family.  His death was heroic as hell.  He died to save a woman who had betrayed him.  That is heroism.  Bringing him back and making him a murdering psychopath spits all over that, along with his other heroic moments in New Titans.
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By Primmaster64

haha.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By daredevil21134

okaay
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#189  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @Zoom:
    I agree with most that you said about jason,but i disagree with some of the stuff you said about damian. 
    As i recall damian stole the show along with bruce,i mean bruce stops joker,joker stops hurt,damian disarms the nuke,grayson ends up in the hospital for brain surgery. 
    Damian showed fantastic character development both here and in red robin(great book) he gave great dynamic ,and has really evolved as a character unlike jason whos stuck.
    georgethecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By georgethecat
    @JonesDeini: @JonesDeini said:
    " @georgethecat:     It's not that I don't see your angle, folk because really I do. However, I do believe the lazarus pit thing and all the other emotional stuff was ALL READY dealt with by Bruce. I still don't see the necessity in bringing him back. I maintain my position that it was a badly conceived, badly executed copy cat move in order to generate sales. What did bringing him back do for Batman that didn't occur or couldn't have occured otherwise? And when he was alive he had emotions/feelings/questioned Bruce's ideals and methods therefore I can't buy that angle either. And as far as writers (mis)handling him had he not been resurrected goes, I can't say that I approve of the way he has been handled, especially by Judd Winnick. It's clear I've never been a fan of the character, but his resurrection and characterization thus far has ensured that I won't be anytime soon.    "
    That's fine, you don't have to see my angle, but know that the character was never "universally disliked" at any point in time. I'm not suggesting that you've said that, but I do know often fans who dislike the character do say that.  In regards to Under the Hood and the "gimmick" being used to generate sales, Batman sales during Under the Hood were less than that of Hush. In fact, they were around the 60,000-plus mark. Having said that, Jason as a character has continually been used to generate sales. It was done in A Death in the Family, it was done in Hush, it was used in Under the Hood.The reveal gimmick (this idea of buy this issue to find out who's behind the mask!) of Red Robin in Countdown, as 'Gatman' in Battle for the Cowl and the Superhero Red Hood in Batman and Robin.  

In regards to him questioning Batman's morals prior to his resurrection/while he was Robin, the fact that he continued to do so in Under the Hood was simply a further developed characterization of Jason.  
    As far as his handling or mishandling goes, I agree there has been mishandling of the character. There has been mishandling of other characters as well (Cass Cain comes to mind), unfortunately the spotlight is more on a character like Jason because he was resurrected and because fans expect something spectacular. Under the Hood, imho, was spectacular, as was the animated version, Batman: Under the Red Hood.  

What did Jason's resurrection do to Batman that his death couldn't do? It was a story of a father who desperately wanted his son back and when he finally had him back, that son was not only angry at his father, but seem to hate him to the point of wanting to destroy him by being better than Batman. (Jason's feelings towards Bruce are not solely hate, it is much more love/hate, but Batman certainly wouldn't know that by Jason's actions)  When someone dies, you can make peace with the death eventually. You can move on with you life. But imagine the person you believe you failed comes back to life and reacts to you in the worst possible way imaginable, it's going to cause pain and emotional turmoil. That's what it did to Bruce. 
    georgethecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By georgethecat
    @JonesDeini said:

" @georgethecat:  See that logic could work either way, folk. At the time this caught mainstream media attention and many people were outraged because they thought their childhood Robin, Dick Grayson, had been killed. It's not a drastic leap to assume that some fans who had stopped keeping up with the title regularly were voting to keep who they thought was Dick Grayson alive. "

That's true, however it doesn't negate the fact that the writer in charge of writing Robin!Jason up to his death was willing to do anything to get rid of Robin. 
      Starlin in an interview with Universo HQ said :

I wanted to kill off Robin as soon as I started writing Batman. The idea of taking a kid along to fight crime is ludicrous.

And, in an interview with  Adelaide Comics , he says he wanted to kill off Robin so badly that he pitched a story about making Robin die of AIDS.

At one point DC had this AIDS book they wanted to do.  They sent around memos to everybody saying “What character do you think we should, you know, have him get AIDS and do this dramatic thing” and they never ended up doing this project.  I kept sending them things saying “Oh, do Robin!  Do Robin!”

That, coupled with the premonition of Jason's death in Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns, meant Jason as Robin was doomed. Fan vote or no, it very likely would have happened, especially since it was close to the 50th anniversary of the Dark Knight and editors seemed to be questioning the very premise of Robin in the modern era. And in the end, I think his death did make for the better story and is considered one of the greatest tragedies in Batman's life, even if A Death in the Family isn't that great of a story itself. But I also believe his resurrection is just as important for Batman and the character of Jason. 
    JOKERCATEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By JOKERCATEXE

Poor misguided child. The Bat likes to corrupt the youth does he not?
    I think it's high time Pedo Bat was put somewhere dark so the children
    of Gotham, like poor poor delusional Jason can go onto to live full
    murderous lives.

No Caption Provided
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @georgethecat:
    If anyone needs to die of AIDS its thanos .take that starlin LOL
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By daredevil21134

He's back and everybody has to deal with it
    Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By Zoom
    @entropy_aegis said:
    "@Zoom: I agree with most that you said about jason,but i disagree with some of the stuff you said about damian. As i recall damian stole the show along with bruce,i mean bruce stops joker,joker stops hurt,damian disarms the nuke,grayson ends up in the hospital for brain surgery. Damian showed fantastic character development both here and in red robin(great book) he gave great dynamic ,and has really evolved as a character unlike jason whos stuck. "

Understand that I'm only at the begining of Morrison's Batman and then I've got an issue of Krul's Teen Titans and that's all I've seen of Damien so in my mind, he's pretty well still a brat but I'm missing character development from his main book.
    Avatar image for xavier_st__cloud
    Xavier St. Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have anything nice to say about Jason Todd as Robin, so I won't say anything... Redhood on the other hand, I like. Keep, Jason dead, he is The Redhood now, thats how, I like it.
    Big

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By Big
    @Zoom:

Whose D-Man? And Jason died by a small margin, so "nobody" is a gross exagerration. Also, if people really disliked him, then why is his return getting so much attention and why are people watching his animated film and reading every spin-off and one-shot that he appears in?
    Big

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By Big
    @darkestknight2.0:
    Right on. Explain that to Zoom, who doesn't seem to know much about tragic heroes.
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By Primmaster64
    @georgethecat: Nice
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @Zoom said:
    "@entropy_aegis said:
    "@Zoom: I agree with most that you said about jason,but i disagree with some of the stuff you said about damian. As i recall damian stole the show along with bruce,i mean bruce stops joker,joker stops hurt,damian disarms the nuke,grayson ends up in the hospital for brain surgery. Damian showed fantastic character development both here and in red robin(great book) he gave great dynamic ,and has really evolved as a character unlike jason whos stuck. "
    Understand that I'm only at the begining of Morrison's Batman and then I've got an issue of Krul's Teen Titans and that's all I've seen of Damien so in my mind, he's pretty well still a brat but I'm missing character development from his main book. "

Yeah he was fantastic in batman and robin. he defended dick in front of talia(who referred to him as a circus oaf) and told her that grayson was every bit as good as bruce,and later he tried to rescue dick from dr hurt and actually fought 99 guys ,when he failed the first thing he did was apologize.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.