jason age?

#1 Posted by redhoodx (129 posts) - - Show Bio

How old is he now? How much of an age difference is there between him and nightwing and the rest of the bat family, including cassandra?

#2 Posted by BatteredArmor (6234 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for yumyumbubblegum
#3 Posted by yumyumbubblegum (633 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by BatteredArmor (6234 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for yumyumbubblegum
#5 Posted by yumyumbubblegum (633 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by BatteredArmor (6234 posts) - - Show Bio

@yumyumbubblegum said:

@BlackArmor said:

@yumyumbubblegum said:

@BlackArmor said:

here's what I think

http://www.comicvine.com/robin/29-1687/robin-age-theory/92-638898/

Shameless plug

I ran out of shame long long ago

If only I could order someone to pull down your pants as I post this reply ;D

overalls ftw.....of course wearing overalls to formal events is what cost me my shame

#7 Posted by rogue_mar1e (20181 posts) - - Show Bio

Dick is 28, Jason is 24, Tim is 20, and Damian's 10.

#8 Posted by Mercy_ (94460 posts) - - Show Bio
@rogue_mar1e

Not anymore.
#9 Posted by BatteredArmor (6234 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogue_mar1e: Dick has been confirmed 21 and Tim has been confirmed to be 16 or 17 his current writer said he's not sure which one. Jason is younger than Dick and Older than Tim

#10 Edited by rogue_mar1e (20181 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress said:

@rogue_mar1e

Not anymore.

@BlackArmor said:

@rogue_mar1e: Dick has been confirmed 21 and Tim has been confirmed to be 16 or 17 his current writer said he's not sure which one. Jason is younger than Dick and Older than Tim

Oh, right, the reboot.

#11 Posted by Rabbit_May_Cry (312 posts) - - Show Bio

I think in the reboot, Jason is either the same age or one year younger than Grayson.

#12 Posted by redhoodx (129 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbit_May_Cry: thaks dc for trying to fix continuity, no wait thanks for making it worse. because jason looks only a year youger than dick.

#13 Posted by God_Spawn (40381 posts) - - Show Bio

#14 Posted by entropy_aegis (17713 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll go with Pre-52

Barbara 28

Dick 25

Jason 21

Tim 18

Cassandra 18

Stephanie 17

Damian 11

#15 Posted by daredevil21134 (15716 posts) - - Show Bio

As of now I think he's 20 since Dick is 21

#16 Posted by KidSupreme (854 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: I agree with you. but in the new 52 I think there making him more like 19/20 years old.

#17 Posted by Primmaster64 (21668 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Jason is 20 now. Pre-Flashpoint he was 22 or 23.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
#18 Edited by DeathpooltheT1000 (18985 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

I'll go with Pre-52

Barbara 28

Dick 25

Jason 21

Tim 18

Cassandra 18

Stephanie 17

Damian 11

Wait a miute, is easy tofind out that Jason is 4 year younger that Dick.

But since Jason became Robin when Dick became Nigthwing, in the new line, it means Jason was a teen during his Robin years.

It makes no sense this new time line, why cant Dick be at his almost 30s?

Also Barbaras is older that Dick?

#19 Posted by Shotgun (912 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe that Jason is 19. The moderators of his fan-tumblr say that his age should probably be around 19-21, but that was pre-reboot.

#20 Edited by Aahz (934 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll go with Pre-52

Barbara 28

Dick 25

Jason 21

Tim 18

Cassandra 18

Stephanie 17

Damian 11

In the End of the Old Continuity it was more like

Barbara 25-28

Dick 25

Cassandra 19

Jason 19

Stephanie 17-18

Tim 17

Damian 10

Dick is much older than Jason, Cass and Jason are roughly the same age and only 2 older than Tim; and Steph is a little bit older than Tim.

#21 Posted by --Essence-- (41 posts) - - Show Bio

@aahz: yeah, there used to be an age difference of almoast two years between Tim and Jason, because shortly after Tim turned 16, Bruce went to Jasons grave with Cassandra for his 18th birthday. That means Jason is also younger dan Cass because according to Cain she turned 18 before that.

#22 Posted by Aahz (934 posts) - - Show Bio

@--essence--: Excatly. But in my opinion the Difference between Tim and Jason should actually be even smaller if you look on the original comics, when Tim appeared in a Lonely Place of Dying (which placed only a few month after Death in the Family) he was all ready 13. But Jason was usually around 12 in most of his appearances as Robin, and he was only with Bruce for two years, so he was at best around 14 when he died and in my opinion it is even possible that he died shortly before his 13th birthday, so he would actually be a few week younger than Tim (Tim is born in July and Jason in August). Him beeing two years older than Tim only works, if Tim appeared much later or if you retcon that Jason was allready 13 when he started to be Robin.

I actually did some research about the ages and wrote a longer text about it here.

#23 Posted by --Essence-- (41 posts) - - Show Bio

@aahz: seems to fit pretty well but I like to think that Jason is 2 years minus a few weeks older than Tim, otherwise he'd be only fifteen during hush and even younger during lost days and that's just wrong. So I think he was 14 during death in the family.

#24 Posted by Aahz (934 posts) - - Show Bio

The problem with him beeing 14 or 15 during Death in the Family is, that there were (According to the time line in Batman Annual 25) 3 and half year between his death and the Lazarus Pit, add half a year for the "Lost Days" (wich seems way to short) and is doesn't really work any more since he was still 17 in Hush ...

#25 Posted by --Essence-- (41 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was 2 and a half year since he was dead for a half year, then lived a year in the streets of Gotham and then a year with Talia before she tossed him in the pitt.

#26 Edited by Aahz (934 posts) - - Show Bio

@--essence--:before lived on the streets he was comatose in a hospital for one year.

The real problem with this timeline is actually Tims age who some how managed much slower than the time was passing. He was for example already 15 when No Mans Land began, and turned 16 during around Hush, which is around 2 or 3 later.

#27 Posted by --Essence-- (41 posts) - - Show Bio

@aahz: yeah and if he was there the night Dick's parents were killed, and remembered it afterwards, he should have been at least 4 or 5. but then he would be to close to Dick in age, unles Dik was older when his parents died. but I haven't found anything conclusive about his age, at least not until the new 52. Do you know how old he was before flashpoint?

#28 Edited by Aahz (934 posts) - - Show Bio

According to the comics Dick was between 8 and 12 when his parents died (they are very very inconsistent in this point) and according to the timeliness DC published in their secret files and origins series he was even older like 13 or 14. Tim was either around 3 (Comics) or 6 (secret files and origins timeline). But but but Dick beeing younger than 10 or 11 when his parents died makes it nearly impossible that Tim was there and could remember it.

Dick was (according to the comics) around 21 when Tim appeared and the only source I know for his age at the end of the old continuity was Nightwing #134 (but its hard to say how reliable this is) which was said to take place nearly 10 years after his 17th birthday so he was 26 or 27 in the End of the continuity.

#29 Posted by --Essence-- (41 posts) - - Show Bio

@aahz: okay helps a lot, thanks.

#30 Edited by Aahz (934 posts) - - Show Bio

Another reason think Jason wasn't meant to be already 15 when he died are the heigts you find for him. 5'0'' or 5'4'' would be very tiny for a 15 year old and more fitting for a 12 or 13 year old.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2

#31 Posted by --Essence-- (41 posts) - - Show Bio

@aahz: yeah I guess, altough 5'4" (that's like 165cm right?) seems kind of big for a 12-year old. or am I screwing up with the different metric systems?

#32 Posted by IronAngel89 (31 posts) - - Show Bio

What's the age difference between Batman and Jason Todd?

#33 Edited by Aahz (934 posts) - - Show Bio

New 52, it is between 12 and 14 years.

Pre new 52 it is hard to say, since they never gave definite ages for Bruce and the time line is a mess, but its more like 20-25 years.

#34 Posted by Aahz (934 posts) - - Show Bio

I reread the Lost Days today and even there is a reference for him beeing 12 while he was with Bruce, so him dying at the age of 15 is really unlikely even according to the newer comics, since than he would have been with Bruce for more than 3 years, what hardly fits into the conitinity. And he wouldn't have hardly been "to young" or "not ready" at this point.

Avatar image for phoenixdiamond616
#35 Posted by phoenixdiamond616 (542 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going to use Post-Crisis characters in the year 2005 like a reference:

Barbara Gordon 23 years old

Dick Grayson 22 years old

Jason Todd (he was death, but if he isn't, his age would be 21 years old)

Tim Drake 17 years old

Stephanie Brown 17 years old

Cassandra Cain 18 years old

Damian Wayne -9 years old

Now I'm going use the New 52 Reboot in the year 2015 like a reference:

Barbara Gordon 18 years old

Dick Grayson 21 years old

Jason Todd 20 years old

Tim Drake 14 years old

Stephanie Brown 15 years old

Cassandra Cain 13 years old

Damian Wayne 12 years old

#36 Posted by Aahz (934 posts) - - Show Bio

@phoenixdiamond616: Post crisis Jason was the same age as Cassandra, and there is really no way you can make him 4 years older than Tim and only 2 younger than Dick. Even the 2 years he is according to the comics older than Tim are already hard to justify id you look in the comics of the late 80s.

New 52

Barbara and Dick are 21

Tim is according to B&RE 16 (17-18 would make more sense imo)

Stephanie is iirc 17

Damian is still 10

For Cass it is completly unknown

And Jason is in between Dick and Tim, probably 18 or 19.

In the Essential Batman Encyclopedia it's claimed that Jason was 9 when he stole the wheels of the Batmobil, and that Tim was 6 when Dicks parents died (who was 12 at this point). But that really doesn't make any sense at all.

Avatar image for phoenixdiamond616
#37 Posted by phoenixdiamond616 (542 posts) - - Show Bio

@aahz:

So, the right things are just like this:

Barbara Gordon 23 years old

Dick Grayson 22 years old

Jason Todd (he was death, but if he isn't, his age would be 18 years old)

Tim Drake 16 years old

Stephanie Brown 16 years old

Cassandra Cain 18 years old

Damian Wayne -9 years old

#38 Posted by Aahz (934 posts) - - Show Bio

@phoenixdiamond616: In this list Dick should be probably 24 (he is roughly 8 years older than Tim). And the age differences between Barbara and Dick and Steph and Tim was never really consitent.

Barbara was originally (= in the 70s) 7 years older than Dick and this slowly changed untill they had the same age. And Steph is (depending on the writer) someting in between 2 years older and the same age as Tim.

If you are really interested in that Topic I posted here a longer text about the ages (with lots of references) and maybe I will post an updated version in the next time.

#39 Posted by --Essence-- (41 posts) - - Show Bio

@phoenixdiamond616: Jason was alive in 2005, he already appeared in the Hush storyline in 2003-2004.

And Stephanie should be older than Tim because she's already in college when he's still in high school.

#40 Posted by Aahz (934 posts) - - Show Bio

I just realized that it was stated in B&RE that mother signal effected everyone under 20. If Jason is really supposed to be 20 in the new 52 they increased the age difference between him and Tim to 4 years, despite the compressed timeline, which doesn't make any sense for me.

#41 Posted by Aahz (934 posts) - - Show Bio

Just another point about another point about my "Jason was around Tim age" claim. Pre crisis it was shown that Jason and Eddie Bloomberg (Kid Devil) were pen pals. Eddie was later a member of Tim's Titans team and apparently roughly his Tims age.

I find it anyway strange that many people seem to prefer letting Jason become Robin at a much older age than Dick and Tim.

And when im alread posting here I also like to copy in the actual version of my Jason Todd age Text.

Jason Todd

Pre-crisis Jason was 12 (7 years younger than Dick) in his first appearance [1]. For post-crisis incarnation there was nothing said about the age in his origin story, but he was shown to be 12 shortly after crisis [2] and even in newer comics it's said that he was already with Bruce at the age of 12 [3]. His birthday (26th August [5]) day of death (27th April [5]) where published much later. But it is revealed that stole he the tires of the Batmobile on the (of cause 25th) anniversary of the death of Bruce parents (June 8th or 26th) [6], that his mother died in February the same year [7], that he dropped out of school in the 5th grade [8], that he trained 6 month before he became Robin [8-11], was in 7th grade after “Ten Nights of the Beast” [12] and died 2 years after Dick was fired [13], what happened only weeks before Bruce met Jason [5]. Most official timelines reduce his time with Bruce to just one year [14-17], and one timeline implies that Bruce took him in 6 years before “Under the Hood” [17].

He dug himself out of his grave half a year after his death [18], was in a vegetative state for a year [18], than lived on the street for a year [18] or 5 month [19] and than stayed a year with the League of assassins before he was thrown in the Lazarus Pit [18,19]. He had at least 8 different trainers and stayed usually around a month with each of them [20,21] before meting Hush [18,22].

The only reliable info about his age is that he became 18 at the beginning of War Games [6], so he would have been 17 in “Hush” and probably still 18 in “Under the Hood” and 19 at the end of the continuity, so he would be 7 or 8 years younger than Dick and 2 years older than Tim. The problem here is that Tim was already 13 in “A Lonely Place of Dying”, which is set only few month after “A Death in the Family”. But Jason was Robin at the age of 12 (and maybe already at the age of 11), and was at best for 2 years with Bruce, so he should actually only be one year older or the same age as Tim.

In the beginning of the new 52 the only real info about his age. In Zero Year (6 years ago) he claimed to be 15 [23], what would make him the same age as Dick and Barbara, while Talia estimated him to be 12 or 13 [23], which seems more plausible. Post convergence it was confirmed that he is younger than Dick [24] and implied that he was 17 when he died [25].

He was trained by Bruce for 6 month [26] and worked with him as Robin 3 years ago [27]. According Roy, he was with Bruce for 2 years [26] but that hardly fits into the timeline. Thalia threw him in the pit either one or [28] one and a half year ago [29], he trained with the All-Caste for a year [25], six weeks with Lady Shiva [30] and for an uncertain amount of time with other members of the League of Assassins. That would make him 18 or 19, while the fact that he is to old to be effected by mothers version of Icthys implies that he is at least 20 [31].

Sources: [1] Detective Comics #525, [2] Detective Comics #571, [3] Red Hood - the Lost Days #3, [4] Detective Comics #790, [5] Batman Annual #25, [6] Batman #408, [7] Batman #409, [8] Batman #410, [9] Who's Who Update '87 #5, [10] Batman Annual #13

[11] Legends of the Dark Knight #100, [12] Batman Annual #12, [13] Batman #436, [14] Batman - Secret Files & Origins, [15] Nightwing - Secret Files & Origins, [16] Guide to the DC Universe - Secret Files & Origins, [17] Nightwing: Year One TPB, [18] Batman Annual #25, [19] Red Hood - the Lost Days #1, [20] Red Hood - the Lost Days #3, [21] Red Hood - the Lost Days #4, [22] Red Hood - the Lost Days #6, [23] Red Hood and the Outlaws #25, [24] Grayson #12, [25] Red Hood/Arsenal #7, [26] Red Hood and the Outlaws #0, [27] Batman and Robin #23.4, [28] Red Hood and the Outlaws #4, [29] Red Hood and the Outlaws #26, [30] Red Hood and the Outlaws #2, [31] Batman and Robin Eternal #22

#42 Posted by Rosenovel (42 posts) - - Show Bio

@aahz: I find that much harder to believe given how he was dead for about the same time in this timeline. It's very likely that the 20 years was just a rough estimate and Jason is closer to 19-20 than over 20. Tim is definitely high school going into college age so 16-17 and Damian was aged up in rebirth to 13. Dick is around 22.

#43 Posted by Aahz (934 posts) - - Show Bio

@aahz: I find that much harder to believe given how he was dead for about the same time in this timeline. It's very likely that the 20 years was just a rough estimate and Jason is closer to 19-20 than over 20. Tim is definitely high school going into college age so 16-17 and Damian was aged up in rebirth to 13. Dick is around 22.

I haven't incorporated rebirth in in the texts I posted here (the full version for the complete family can be found here). In B&RE it was stated that Tim was only 16 and the last age they gave for Dick was 21. Their age post rebirth isn't revealed yet.

Any way I still think that Jason being almost Dicks age doesn't make much sense, and that it doesn't make much sense for him to more than 1 or 2 years older than Tim. (And I think that "Tiny Titans" were Tim is older than Jason is not that wrong either.)

#44 Posted by Rosenovel (42 posts) - - Show Bio

@aahz: I have to agree. Jason todd being close to Dick's age doesn't make much sense. But with Dick grayson and tim drake being being so young while jason todd and damian wayne seems to have been given around the same age makes the timeline extremely confusing for me. I don't know how long Jason's been dead for which would affect his age, and the amount of time he spend as robin new 52 was a bit ambiguous (like the other robins)

The two things I'm certian about is Tim Drakes current age of 16 and Damian Waynes age of 13, (I think dick grayson may have gotten older than 21 but o have no proof of that other than I think it's been a while since the 21 year old was revealed) if it wasn't for b&re I would have guessed his age to be 19 only because any younger and he should be around the same age as tim and any older and he's around the same age as dick (with a suspicion that if he hadnt died he may be the same age as dick)

#45 Posted by Aahz (934 posts) - - Show Bio

@rosenovel:

In the old continuity Jason was dead for half a year, in the new 52 either the same or shorter.
Dick being 21 was reveled in the begin of Grayson irrc, that is not so long ago.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.