Follow

Jason Todd

Character » Jason Todd appears in 1754 issues.

Jason Todd was the second Robin, until he was brutally murdered by the Joker. After he was resurrected, Jason learned Batman didn't avenge his death. Anguished and seeking vengeance, he initially turned against his mentor and father figure and took on the Clown Prince's former identity: the Red Hood. He eventually returned to the Bat-Family and assembled a team of anti-heroes known as the Outlaws.

Is he a Hero or Antihero or Antivillain or Villain?

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DeathpooltheT1000

Heroes :
    In modern movies, the hero is often simply an ordinary person in extraordinary circumstances, who, despite the odds being stacked against him or her, typically prevails in the end. In some movies (especially action movies), an hero may exhibit characteristics such as superhuman strength and endurance that sometimes makes him nearly invincible. Often a hero in these situations has a foil, the villain, typically a charismatic evildoer who represents, leads, or himself embodies the struggle the hero is up against. Post-modern fictional works have fomented the increased popularity of the anti-hero, who does not follow common conceptions of heroism.

Anti-heroes :
    In fiction, an anti-hero is a protagonist who is lacking the traditional heroic attributes and qualities, and instead possesses character traits that are antithetical to heroism.The word anti-hero itself is fairly recent, and its principal definition has changed through the years. The 1940 edition of Merriam-Webster New International Dictionary listed anti-hero, but did not define it. Later sources would call the anti-hero a persona characterized by a lack of "traditional" heroic qualities.

Villains :
    A villain is an "evil" character in a story, whether an historical narrative or, especially, a work of fiction. The villain usually is the bad guy, the character who fights against the hero. A female villain is sometimes called a villainess. Random House Unabridged Dictionary defines villain as "a cruelly malicious person who is involved in or devoted to wickedness or crime; scoundrel; or a character in a play, novel, or the like, who constitutes an important evil agency in the plot.

Anti-villains :
    An anti-villain is a character in a film, drama or literary work who pursues undeniably villainous ends, but employs methods that are arguably noble in order to advance his interests. Thus, the anti-villain is the converse of the anti-hero, who frequently resorts to immoral means in pursuit of an admirable goal. An anti-villain may commit serious crimes, such as murder; alternatively, his actions may only be considered "villainous" because they come in direct conflict with the story's protagonist.
    I think he is a mix of Anti-hero and Anti-villain
    sweatboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By sweatboy

"That's what you didn't get, you can't stop CRIME, i'm controlling it.....i'm what this city NEEDS" I think he sure as hell SEES himself as a hero. oh and 
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byronic_hero
     I think that,...Dick was just in it for the show, he lived in the spotlight and that's what he's used to. When he became the batman, Two Face sees him SMILING and figures, he's not the real bat. Tim is like,... as rich as bruce, loses his parents, he probably is the smartest robin, maybe he'll be the best but you know what? Jason, is a totally different robin, and HE WAS what Gotham needed

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By daredevil21134

A-Men
    Avatar image for mistersarcastic
    mistersarcastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mistersarcastic

I've always thought of him as anti-hero, never knew there was a such thing as a anti-VILLAIN. But after reading the passages on Wiki for Byronic Hero, he fits it pretty darn well. 
    But I've got a question, if Jason is a Byronic hero, what are Deadpool, Hutnress (Helena Bertinelli), and the Punisher? Are they simply anti-heroes?

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By daredevil21134
    @mistersarcastic:
    Huntress dosen't kill anymore she follows the rules pretty well now even well enough for Nightwing to put in charge of the group during Battle for the cowl
    Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool

I never knew wether to call V from V for Vendeta a villain or hero but anti-villain thing gives me something to call him finally. But as for Jason he's an anti-villain. But while we're on the subject of heroes THIS IS THE ULTIMATE HERO!!!!!!!!!!!  

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By daredevil21134

okay
    lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's an anti-hero but these days he's more closer to hero

JayAaerow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hero now.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By daredevil21134
    Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

In the new 52, he started off as an anti-hero but is now a hero seeking redemption equipped with magic swords.

I prefer him as an anti-villian and it seems like we'll get a glimpse of that in the Futures End tie-in at least.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the new 52, he started off as an anti-hero but is now a hero seeking redemption equipped with magic swords.

I prefer him as an anti-villian and it seems like we'll get a glimpse of that in the Futures End tie-in at least.

What is his Future tie-in about? I haven't heard anything

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

@youknowwhattodo said:

Straight from DC themselves:

RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS: FUTURES END #1

Advance solicit • On sale SEPTEMBER 17

32 pg, FC • RATED T

3-D Motion Edition: $3.99 US

2-D Standard Edition: $2.99 US

Red Hood rides solo in the future as he reveals hints to how the Outlaws and his partners Starfire and Arsenal parted ways and how that lead to Jason Todd’s new mission of retribution and brutal justice.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

I consider him an anti-hero, questionable means but honorable goals. I consider Poison Ivy in the same category.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@daredevil21134 said:

@youknowwhattodo said:

32 pg, FC • RATED T

Red Hood rides solo in the future as he reveals hints to how the Outlaws and his partners Starfire and Arsenal parted ways and how that lead to Jason Todd’s new mission of retribution and brutal justice.

That sounds a lot better. I really don't like his current heroic stint.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@youknowwhattodo said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@youknowwhattodo said:

32 pg, FC • RATED T

That sounds a lot better. I really don't like his current heroic stint.

I wish it was an ongoing

Batmanx2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I would just consider him neutral same goes for Kirk Langstorm since he is not really a hero or villian.

--Essence--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batmanx2005: for me he is more of a hero than langstrom since he really tries to do good as red hood (even though his methods are questionable) while langstrom, in my opinion, tries more to stay out of trouble, okay he tried to do good by developing the serum but i don't see how continuing to use it, even though he knows it endangers the people surounding him, is neutral, it's not like he is trtaditional villain, but he does knowingly endanger people. and i'm not saying jason is a hero, but i can't say he isn't either

username12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.