Follow

Jason Todd

Character » Jason Todd appears in 1753 issues.

Jason Todd was the second Robin, until he was brutally murdered by the Joker. After he was resurrected, Jason learned Batman didn't avenge his death. Anguished and seeking vengeance, he initially turned against his mentor and father figure and took on the Clown Prince's former identity: the Red Hood. He eventually returned to the Bat-Family and assembled a team of anti-heroes known as the Outlaws.

Does RHTO need a new writer?

wessaari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By wessaari

There is a rumor that James Tynion IV will be taking over. Now, overall Lobdell has done a really good job with the Outlaws with very few issues that havent been up to par. But I am concerned that Lobdell is more focused on Teen Titans and Superman. Right now Supes is doing really good, and Rocafort has been delivering above and beyond. The Titans isnt my type of book but Scott seems like he wants to stay on the title. I am liking Red Hood right now, and highly anticipating the future issues, but there have been hints that the Outlaws might be fighting aliens again. I dont want that, I think it would be better if after DOTF, the series gets on a more grounded level. Tynion could bring that to the title as well as a new direction and energy. Though, RHTO has a somewhat comic cult following (which i am apart of), would you approve of the Batman back-up/Talon writer to give his pen to the title? Everything i read from his work is just plain awesome. Talon is one of my new favorite series, and it would be interesting with what James has to offer.

Is Tynion IV welcomed by the hoodies to give the title a new sense of energy?

or

Does Scott have something up his sleeve that will make us not want him to leave?

Be respectful please.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By SoA

i just cant get into rhato i wish it was wee bit better to hold my interest . for a character like jason todd who has no place to go , i would like rhato to become a x-force-ish type book i think all the chracters in the book would benefit . think it like suicide squad except without the government agency thing .

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By arnoldoaad

@wessaari said:

There is a rumor that James Tynion IV will be taking over. Now, overall Lobdell has done a really good job with the Outlaws with very few issues that havent been up to par. But I am concerned that Lobdell is more focused on Teen Titans and Superman. Right now Supes is doing really good, and Rocafort has been delivering above and beyond. The Titans isnt my type of book but Scott seems like he wants to stay on the title. I am liking Red Hood right now, and highly anticipating the future issues, but there have been hints that the Outlaws might be fighting aliens again. I dont want that, I think it would be better if after DOTF, the series gets on a more grounded level. Tynion could bring that to the title as well as a new direction and energy. Though, RHTO has a somewhat comic cult following (which i am apart of), would you approve of the Batman back-up/Talon writer to give his pen to the title? Everything i read from his work is just plain awesome. Talon is one of my new favorite series, and it would be interesting with what James has to offer.

Is Tynion IV welcomed by the hoodies to give the title a new sense of energy?

or

Does Scott have something up his sleeve that will make us not want him to leave?

Be respectful please.

well first of all he has only been plotting TT, Nicieza has been providing the dialog, so i wouldnt say he is more focused on those other books, in fact i would say that he was more focussed on Red Hood than anything else

as for if the title needs a new writer, Im actually disappointed that James Tynion is not taking TT, his writing of Tim on Batman #0 was just fantastic, his Jason was ok but it just wasnt as good, Red Hood is an ok title but has very little focus, its just a lot of ideas with no strong connection between them, one time the team is hunting a cult evil thing then they are in space.

maybe is better if Scott concentrate those ideas on Superman instead

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I'd say no, and I certainly hope it doesn't get one. Scott's done good work with this series and has massively improved the character of Jason Todd. The character as he currently exists is all due to Scott as a matter of fact.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#5  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

its not a rumor. future solicits confirm the talent change.

Edit: Never mind, spoke too soon.you can spank me if you want too.....but i wouldn't recommend it.

wessaari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By wessaari

@Nathaniel_Christopher said:

I'd say no, and I certainly hope it doesn't get one. Scott's done good work with this series and has massively improved the character of Jason Todd. The character as he currently exists is all due to Scott as a matter of fact.

this is very true. But i am afraid that the direction of the series could be focused on alien invasions and saving the world kind of stuff. leave that to the Justice League. I think RHTO should get more grounded, and by the solicits, it could be that way. Scott and Ken made me love this series from the get-go. I appreciate everything Green has done for the series, because he came through for us when we needed him, even though it was rushed. I just feel he doesnt have the right tone or style for the book right now, but that could change in the future. I just hope Scott makes the Outlaws what they are called, outlaws. They cold be doing some pretty awesome stuff like in issue 1 or issue 8. I have faith and Lobdell, but if he does want to leave i wouldnt be opposed for Tynion's take, just to have a new energy to it. I also know Scott is working really hard with Superman, and if he wants to stay on TT, and cant handle the workload (he is also part of the Elysium project) then i will respect his decision if he wants to leave. No matter what, Lobdell is of the main reasons why i love this series, and i will be greatly saddened if he leaves, or happy that he stays.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wessaari said:

@Nathaniel_Christopher said:

this is very true. But i am afraid that the direction of the series could be focused on alien invasions and saving the world kind of stuff. leave that to the Justice League. I think RHTO should get more grounded, and by the solicits, it could be that way. Scott and Ken made me love this series from the get-go. I appreciate everything Green has done for the series, because he came through for us when we needed him, even though it was rushed. I just feel he doesnt have the right tone or style for the book right now, but that could change in the future. I just hope Scott makes the Outlaws what they are called, outlaws. They cold be doing some pretty awesome stuff like in issue 1 or issue 8. I have faith and Lobdell, but if he does want to leave i wouldnt be opposed for Tynion's take, just to have a new energy to it. I also know Scott is working really hard with Superman, and if he wants to stay on TT, and cant handle the workload (he is also part of the Elysium project) then i will respect his decision if he wants to leave. No matter what, Lobdell is of the main reasons why i love this series, and i will be greatly saddened if he leaves, or happy that he stays.

I agree that it should be a little more grounded, but as the other Bat Family members have shown us it doesn't constantly have to be street level, especially when a member of the team is an alien and another has experience with the mystical element. I think he just needs to find a good balance, and maybe focus on Roy a bit more.

wessaari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By wessaari

@Nathaniel_Christopher: pretty much my thoughts exactly

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By daredevil21134

I don't want anymore Batman crossovers with the series

wessaari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By wessaari

@daredevil21134: ya i think the whole Bat series needs a break from crossovers after DOTF, that doesnt mean no guest appearnaces, but everyone needs a break from a Batman crossover. the titles need to get back to being focused in their own stories. Look at Batwoman, no crossovers and shes doing relatively well. She gets some cameos here and there, and i think it be nice to see her more but she is proof that you dont need a crossover

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By daredevil21134

@wessaari said:

@daredevil21134: ya i think the whole Bat series needs a break from crossovers after DOTF, that doesnt mean no guest appearnaces, but everyone needs a break from a Batman crossover. the titles need to get back to being focused in their own stories. Look at Batwoman, no crossovers and shes doing relatively well. She gets some cameos here and there, and i think it be nice to see her more but she is proof that you dont need a crossover

I agree

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By jsphsmth

Red Hood was the best series written by Lobdell. His work on Teen Titans was no where near as good. I really wish that he was off TT instead of RHTO.

I am a fan of Tynion. His backup stories have been great, they were the only things worth reading in Detective until Daniels left. My concern is that if Tynion really is taking over, then doesn't that mean that RHTO will be draw further into the Bat-Universe?

wessaari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By wessaari

@jsphsmth said:

Red Hood was the best series written by Lobdell. His work on Teen Titans was no where near as good. I really wish that he was off TT instead of RHTO.

I am a fan of Tynion. His backup stories have been great, they were the only things worth reading in Detective until Daniels left. My concern is that if Tynion really is taking over, then doesn't that mean that RHTO will be draw further into the Bat-Universe?

That is very true, that could happen, and Tynion has done alot of work in the Batverse, but if he does take this on he needs to know that there are more elements than just Jason. he has to be able to create a mood or direction that benefits or has suitable interactions for the three main characters

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By sethysquare

I seriously don't want any more street level books. It seems like any other writer would just go that route and its just sad.

wessaari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By wessaari

@sethysquare: true, i dont necessarily want it street level, but i think being more grounded isnt a bad notion. The series has delved with Secret Societies and Ancient Evils, then we are off into space. I think taking down bad guys on a more global scale is a more grounded view that what the series is used to. Like I would love to see more stories similar to the beginning of issue 1, and issue 6, or like issue 8 as a whole. If we can just at least try it and see where it goes, then i think it would be nice. Just a thought though :P

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By TDK_1997

I'm not happy so far with the work of Lobdell in the DCU except so far in Superman.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#17  Edited By Joygirl

The problem with making RHatO street-level is "Starfire Wins. Fatality. Flawless Victory." The power level is unbalanced so they need unique threats. I am unconcerned with Lobdell leaving the title, but really, seriously, with all of the talent changes that have happened... *whispers* Why does Suicide Squad still have Adam Glass....

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I expect for the team to always be trotting around the globe regardless, never operating in just one city. And since you have an alien, a dude that was brought back from the dead and trained with some mystics, and an average joe/former junkie, they can operate on pretty much any level and have it make sense.

wessaari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By wessaari

@Nathaniel_Christopher: exactly. There just needs to be stories where they are put to a task and challenges them in a way that has character growth or reveals certain emotions for the characters. It cant just be, hey we are gonna take this person down, heres the plan, pow we r done issue over. There has to have some emotion with it, and with post-DOTF Jason isnt going to be in a good place, and is a perfect opportunity to get Jason in a situation where Kori and Roy have no idea what to do or how to help. Whether its an internal fight between the group or fighting some peeps who want to kill them, whatever its going to be Jason is (most likely) use that rage that anger or guilt against his attackers and its going to freak those two out. Or at least thats what i would do

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#20  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Isnt Arsenal leaving to join the titans? It makes sense if Lobdell is leaving the book.

wessaari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By wessaari

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Roy is taking over the titans for an issue, Kori is with him though. so after Death of the Family, the teams will go back to their respective members

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By daredevil21134

What I really want is for Jason to have a solo title

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By sethysquare

@Joygirl said:

The problem with making RHatO street-level is "Starfire Wins. Fatality. Flawless Victory." The power level is unbalanced so they need unique threats. I am unconcerned with Lobdell leaving the title, but really, seriously, with all of the talent changes that have happened... *whispers* Why does Suicide Squad still have Adam Glass....

LOL. I love the way you put it.

JamesKM716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By JamesKM716

I'd be fine with either, but I really do like Scott Lodbell, on just about everything he's done so far. (except Superboy, he did do Superboy right? hated that book)

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By JakeN7

@jsphsmth said:

Yet I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing. Jason has already started taking on a larger role in the Bat-Family with his pivotal role in Batman Inc. as Wingman and appearance in the Terminus arc in Batman and Robin, as well as his crossovers in the DotF. I think this is the one thing Jason wants more than anything else, (although he'd die before admitting it) to be validated by Bruce and valued by the rest of the family. I see that as a huge stepping stone in the ongoing evolution of Red Hood as a character.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By consolemaster001

It's changing

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.