Follow

Jason Todd

Character » Jason Todd appears in 1754 issues.

Jason Todd was the second Robin, until he was brutally murdered by the Joker. After he was resurrected, Jason learned Batman didn't avenge his death. Anguished and seeking vengeance, he initially turned against his mentor and father figure and took on the Clown Prince's former identity: the Red Hood. He eventually returned to the Bat-Family and assembled a team of anti-heroes known as the Outlaws.

Awesome Toy Picks: Jason Todd Red Hood (Signature Collection)

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Jason Todd has had quite a career in comics. He started out as a Robin, got killed by the Joker, got better and became Red Hood, then took on the big red capsule look of Red Hood before the New 52 gave him a more practical helmet again.

MattyCollector just released that last pre-New 52 version as part of their Signature Collection series.

No Caption Provided

These figures retail for $20 but do sell out pretty quickly. It was also the June selection in their Club Infinite Earths subscription series.

As with the other figures in the series, the back does feature some artwork plus a mini bio for the character.

No Caption Provided

These figures are pretty much in the middle in terms of articulation. There is a good amount and not too much or too little. Unfortunately, it does have that strange stomach articulation that I feel is unnecessary since it really just creates an odd seam in the figure. And if you were wondering, yes, his head does turn.

This is apparently also from when Jason was working out. In the New 52, he's more on the slimmer side, which is more fitting for a former Robin. This figure does look pretty cool even if the helmet is a bit absurd. That's the look he decided to go with at this point in the comics.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

I'm a little torn on the guns. Sure it makes sense that Jason, at this point, would want some stylish (?) red guns to go with his crazy looking helmet and big old cape. The problem is the guns look like cheap toy guns. What I mean is it looks like Jason is trying to be menacing while holding toy guns. But of course, he did use red guns in Grant Morrison's BATMAN AND ROBIN, when he had this look.

His articulation does allow for his legs to be moved and placed in different positions. You just have to be careful because moving his legs makes a weird looking space in his crotch area.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

It is nice having a figure being able to stand in different positions especially when it has a heavy and thick cape.

These Signature Collection figures aren't super-loaded with detail or articulation but it's still a nice looking figure. There may not be a huge demand for a Jason Todd figure with this look so being able to have one to put on display is pretty cool.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

But just as in the comics, this Jason Todd figure should definitely watch his back.

No Caption Provided

That's it for this week's toy pick. Let us know what you think. The figure is sold out at MattyCollector.com but you can still easily find it on eBay close to the original $20 price or cheaper. Be sure to keep an eye for the next installment. I'm a little torn between what I'll feature next time.

mightypug78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

cool! all the more reason for me to get a job.....if i could find one!

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
    Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I need it !

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Very disappointed in the costume selection. If they made mask/leather jacket Jason, lots more people (including myself) would be buying it.

BuNKiTZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks pretty cool. Would love for a New 52 version or the Jason's original Red Hood look.

KRYPTON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

First Batman was watching, now Joker is watching

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Looks awesome, but what size is he? You need to specify in these toy articles.

Is it just me or does his suit look a bit Gatchaman-ish?

mcbean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't need it but would like to have it

Chibio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks awesome, but what size is he? You need to specify in these toy articles.

Is it just me or does his suit look a bit Gatchaman-ish?

It's 6 inches.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Have they ever made a Red Hood figure before? Seems surprising Mattel or DC Direct wouldn't release a Jason Todd figure in the "Under the Hood" attire.

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No wonder they sell out quick... That looks wicked

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chibio:

Thanks, I'm very picky about that sort of thing.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the guns being such a bright shade of red adds to how toy-ish they look. It's not quite as bad when they're painted a little darker, like here:

No Caption Provided

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I would have skipped the joker and possed him holding up spiderwoman...

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like a neat figure, this is actually my favorite Todd costume, as opposed to the 'grr im an angry vengeful leather jacket wearing trying-too-hard-to-be-a-badass' look he often has.

Michael_Moran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chibio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chibio:

Thanks, I'm very picky about that sort of thing.

Somehow all of that sounds so wrong D:

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

cool

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Miss_Garrick

@chibio:

Yikes! I didn't realize :^0

Avatar image for deactivated-5b9996f1456eb
    deactivated-5b9996f1456eb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I swear, Grant Morrison did everything in his power to ruin Jason Todd in that arc. He gave him orange hair and claimed Batman made him dye it black when he was Robin. Why would Batman do that?! Plus he got this goofy costume, which I kind of like, but when compared to his insanely awesome Batman costume, it just doesn't hold up. Still, it's cool to see a Red Hood figure.

MildaNee22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

uptil I looked at the paycheck 4 $4009, I didn't believe that my cousin was like they say actually bringing in money in their spare time at their laptop.. there friend brother has been doing this for less than twenty months and resantly repayed the loans on their villa and purchased a great new Lancia Straton. we looked here, BOW6.COM

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'll believe it when he takes off the hood!

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright, Matty. It's about time we get a new damn Lobo figure.

Seriously.

Avatar image for greenlanternjhh
    GreenLanternJHH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this looks good

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Ahhhh! I want that so much...!

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

Was that Joker figure from Mask of the Phantasm?

Wish Todd got a longer/more eventufull kind of run as this incarnation of the Red Hood. Not like the Hood from Under the Red Hood but this where is full blown supervillian with a kinda sorta heart of gold but not really.

brundlefly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mattel needs to start taking pointers from Hasbro in terms of articulating their figures.

Fetts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm digging the red pistols. It looks really McDonald's-Happy-Meal-Toy-ish....

Angelo2113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I swear, Grant Morrison did everything in his power to ruin Jason Todd in that arc. He gave him orange hair and claimed Batman made him dye it black when he was Robin. Why would Batman do that?! Plus he got this goofy costume, which I kind of like, but when compared to his insanely awesome Batman costume, it just doesn't hold up. Still, it's cool to see a Red Hood figure.

I agree. I felt what Judd Winick accomplished with Jason Todd in Under theRed Hood was completely thrown away by what Grant Morrison did in Batman and Robin. I still really liked how Philip Tan drew him in the series and even got a sketch of this Red Hood from him at San Diego Comic Con in 2010. I bought the action figure as well. Really looking forward to getting it in the mail soon.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Oh yeah!!!!!!!!

Avatar image for dementedtheclown
    dementedtheclown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By dementedtheclown

WHATS UNDER THE RED HOOD?

DigbyKong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's hot link sausage man!

ThomasElliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krazyman27 said:

I agree. I felt what Judd Winick accomplished with Jason Todd in Under theRed Hood was completely thrown away by what Grant Morrison did in Batman and Robin. I still really liked how Philip Tan drew him in the series and even got a sketch of this Red Hood from him at San Diego Comic Con in 2010. I bought the action figure as well. Really looking forward to getting it in the mail soon.

Jason Todd was ORIGINALLY a red-head prior to Crisis on Infinite Earths. All Morrison did was remind everyone of that fun fact that was conveniently forgotten.

Nightw BR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#35  Edited By Nightw BR

Jason Todd would be great to add to my collection.

Avatar image for superbatspiderclops
    superbatspiderclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This probably my favorite incarnation of Jason Todd's red hood, although he does get nearly killed by a guy named the flamingo

Angelo2113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@angelo2113 said:

@krazyman27 said:

Jason Todd was ORIGINALLY a red-head prior to Crisis on Infinite Earths. All Morrison did was remind everyone of that fun fact that was conveniently forgotten.

Him having light colored hair also came with a completely different origin as well until his more recognizable origin took place. Didn't Killer Croc kill his parents, too? The acrobats? I don't remember Morrison reminding everybody of that fun fact that everybody forgot.

Bad_People

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Bad_People

The Guns on the Box-art are clearly Desert Eagles while the ones with the toy more closely resemble a larger Glock-17.

jerrydfdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jerrydfdf

wowo~~~ .Unbelievable. My friend Emily has just married to a handsome wealthy passionate manThey met through ~SeekingRìch.Ç o m~~ The largest dating site for meeting with successful wealthy guys and classy women (athletes,doctors,CEOs,models,lawyers,celebrities,etc….) Over 1700000 active members from local and worldwide. Easy to search. Live chat. Free to post & browse.Have a try!

Avatar image for banestrokelobogrundybatarrow
    BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Jaxley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously what is the point in his head being able to turn? His head is a gigantic Tic-Tac!

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

I definitely prefer is current look, but this seems like a cool figure.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I wish they would just give us this...

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not bad, but like some others, i'd much rather see one made with Jason in his original Red Hood costume from Under the Hood.

Avatar image for docluthorvondoom
    DocLuthorVonDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DocLuthorVonDoom

@angelo2113:

There is nothing Morrison could do to "throw away" Winick's accomplishments, Winick does that on his own too well to need help. Dude only has two switches: maudlin and topical; he's never fun, or captivating, or creative for that matter. And how did Morrison present the Red Hood any differently then how Winnick did in Under The Red Hood? All he did was expand on the "out for vengeance" persona, I'd say if anything Morrison's iteration of the character conflicted with how he's shown by Dini in Countdown to Final Crisis, but not even that dramatically.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.