Follow

Jason Todd

Character » Jason Todd appears in 1742 issues.

Jason Todd was the second Robin, until he was brutally murdered by the Joker. After he was resurrected, Jason learned Batman didn't avenge his death. Anguished and seeking vengeance, he initially turned against his mentor and father figure and took on the Clown Prince's former identity: the Red Hood. He eventually returned to the Bat-Family and assembled a team of anti-heroes known as the Outlaws.

A second petition to ask DC for an ongoing for Jason

georgethecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By georgethecat

Shortly after Lost Days finished, a fan created a petition for an ongoing through her Deviant Art page:  http://joteivv.deviantart.com/art/Jason-Todd-Ongoing-Petition-186512870 She collected 72 names and sent it off to DC.  

Another fan has started a second petition, with this great art, to ask DC to publish an ongoing comic series that is centred on Jason or a mini-series and is asking for it to be written by Judd Winick.  It's on her Deviant Art page here: 
    http://jiuge.deviantart.com/art/Jason-Todd-Ongoing-Petition-200243636     

If you're on Tumblr, you can also spread the word by reblogging this:  http://fuckyeahjasontodd.tumblr.com/#3735291495

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By entropy_aegis

If DC was really that interested they would have done so,i mean steph brown got her own comic.
    RedHoodJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RedHoodJT
    Jason will be getting his own series. Its takes a bit of time for them to set it up. It will happen though. Especially with all the fans of Jason now. It would make more sense to give him an ongoing then only do three issues here and three issues there oh lets throw in a minis series here and now we'll wait about six months then another three issues will come out featuring him. Its lame and extremely retarded. Didio has no business being top dog. He's an idiot.
    georgethecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By georgethecat
    @entropy_aegis said:
    " If DC was really that interested they would have done so,i mean steph brown got her own comic. "

Stephanie Brown is a great character and Batgirl has consistently been a fantastic book. DC is interested enough to put Judd Winick on Batman and Robin to write Jason in current continuity. But thanks once again, for your "insights."
    RedHoodsDen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RedHoodsDen

Stephanie Brown got a series because she became Batgirl, not because she's Stephanie Brown.  

There was no Spoiler book. The one identity would be weak without the other. 

If Jason Todd gets a series, it will be because he's Jason Todd.  

As to Didio, if he had it his way, Jason would've had a series in 2006. Blame Geoff Johns and editorial for making the case Dick was not a back-up Batman in need of killing. 

Though...you know....now he's a backup Batman. 

But DC's titles are just imploding right now. It's time for risks.

georgethecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By georgethecat
    @RedHoodsDen said:
    " Stephanie Brown got a series because she became Batgirl, not because she's Stephanie Brown.   There was no Spoiler book. The one identity would be weak without the other. 

Stephanie has a lot of fans: they petitioned DC over and over to bring her back from the dead and that's why the retcon happened (that she had been to Africa and not "died") . There was no Spoiler book, but she was featured heavily in Robin, almost to the point of co-starring in the book. As well, there were mini-series and one-shots featuring Spoiler. Girlwonder.org was started because of the treatment of the character. Anyways, this doesn't really have anything to do with the Jason petition. 
    RedHoodJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RedHoodJT

I'm just saying I've seen several interviews of Didio were he implies that he isn't a fan of Jason. I'm not knocking everything he does just when it comes to Jason. And don't get me started on Johns. He hates every character that has ever replaced one. I.E. Kyle Rayner, Wally West. To name a few. I'm not saying that he isn't a good writer, he is. I just don't like the fact that he takes my favorites and makes them look like dumbasses lacking the skill and talent to do their job.

georgethecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By georgethecat
    @RedHoodJT: Yeah, I know he definitely thinks of Jason as a villain. He said it on the Robin's Requiem: Tale of Jason Todd documentary on the Under the Red Hood Blu-ray. Which is kind of hilarious, because I think Didio is a villain! ;) 
    RedHoodJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RedHoodJT

Exactly. When he said that a fan walked up to him and asked for their 50cents back and he told them that he called in for him to die and he didn't get his money back so you're not either. I was like this guy is the definition of a douche.

RedHoodsDen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RedHoodsDen
    @RedHoodJT said:
    " I'm just saying I've seen several interviews of Didio were he implies that he isn't a fan of Jason. I'm not knocking everything he does just when it comes to Jason. And don't get me started on Johns. He hates every character that has ever replaced one. I.E. Kyle Rayner, Wally West. To name a few. I'm not saying that he isn't a good writer, he is. I just don't like the fact that he takes my favorites and makes them look like dumbasses lacking the skill and talent to do their job. "
    Really? I'd like to see those interviews. Don't take that as a challenge or anything I just assumed between wanting Jason to replace Grayson, featuring him in Countdown, and the original idea for Generation Lost that Didio was always trying to find a fit for Jason.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By danhimself

petitions do nothing...if you want to show support then go out and buy books with Jason in them

georgethecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By georgethecat
    @danhimself: Tell that to all the women and fans who petitioned DC to have Stephanie Brown be given a memorial, just like Jason got. A lot of these fans are already buying stuff with Jason in it, they are asking for more. 
    RedHoodJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RedHoodJT
    @RedHoodsDen:  If you have the Blue Ray version of Under The Red Hood then its the Robins Requiem: the Tale of Jason Todd. if not then I don't know how you'll be able to watch it. And I get what you are saying. I know that he is the reason that Jason was in Countdown and all that I'm just saying when he said that I lost a bit of respect for the guy.
    RedHoodsDen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RedHoodsDen

There's a certain bullshit you have to accept when it comes to DC talking about  A Death In The Family. Rather than admit what it was, a thrillkilling of a child spectacle to boost sales and play into a "real world" direction that they were going in, which even included the sensationalism of a KGBeast attempted Reagan assassination [particularly bad taste when the man had already been shot], and the leader of the Iran ordering the Joker to make a hit on the UN. This same company today, never had the balls to address 9/11 in their books. 

They will never call the stunt what it was, a snuff comic book featuring the murder of a little boy. A ...little...boy.

They will always maintain the fans didn't like him. All 9 issues Starlin wrote, even before their stunt began made the fans blood boil so much, DC was doing them a service with the phone poll.  

It was 1989 and they wanted to play into lone vigilante of the movie, and the big bad Nicholson Joker coming out. There was no Robin. The Dark Knight Returns possible dark future could be played into and the Death of Robin would be great stunt to boost sales during the ensuing Batmania.  

But you have to sort of swallow the bullshit, when in that video you have the old timers talking about how they were justified or even the new guys towing that line about how "DC listened". It's the same reason you have Winick arguing that inconsistency is just so awesome for Jason. That it's great all those other stories have made it impossible to define him well and that obviously we need to make Grant's Jason a part of him, because obviously Grant never fucks up. Corporate bullshit. People saying what they're "supposed to say".  

HOLY SHIT! DIDIO REFERENCES MY POSTCARD IN IT?!!!!  I just found this transcript of the vid

DD

: I just got a postcard in the mail, which apes one of the Jason Todd covers, the Red Hood covers. What they did is they have Jason Todd holding the Red Hood. And in the original picture, there’s a reflection of Batman’s face and actually they superimposed my face in the reflection, saying, “No, I’m not a villain, make me a hero again!”      

It was our Christmas card to him, and Dan got more like 40 from around the world. And actually I argue he can be a protagonist as an anti-hero. Not a hero.

No Caption Provided
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By daredevil21134
    @RedHoodsDen said:
    "There's a certain bullshit you have to accept when it comes to DC talking about  A Death In The Family. Rather than admit what it was, a thrillkilling of a child spectacle to boost sales and play into a "real world" direction that they were going in, which even included the sensationalism of a KGBeast attempted Reagan assassination [particularly bad taste when the man had already been shot], and the leader of the Iran ordering the Joker to make a hit on the UN. This same company today, never had the balls to address 9/11 in their books. 

They will never call the stunt what it was, a snuff comic book featuring the murder of a little boy. A ...little...boy.

They will always maintain the fans didn't like him. All 9 issues Starlin wrote, even before their stunt began made the fans blood boil so much, DC was doing them a service with the phone poll.  

It was 1989 and they wanted to play into lone vigilante of the movie, and the big bad Nicholson Joker coming out. There was no Robin. The Dark Knight Returns possible dark future could be played into and the Death of Robin would be great stunt to boost sales during the ensuing Batmania.  

But you have to sort of swallow the bullshit, when in that video you have the old timers talking about how they were justified or even the new guys towing that line about how "DC listened". It's the same reason you have Winick arguing that inconsistency is just so awesome for Jason. That it's great all those other stories have made it impossible to define him well and that obviously we need to make Grant's Jason a part of him, because obviously Grant never fucks up. Corporate bullshit. People saying what they're "supposed to say".  

HOLY SHIT! DIDIO REFERENCES MY POSTCARD IN IT?!!!!  I just found this transcript of the vid

DD

: I just got a postcard in the mail, which apes one of the Jason Todd covers, the Red Hood covers. What they did is they have Jason Todd holding the Red Hood. And in the original picture, there’s a reflection of Batman’s face and actually they superimposed my face in the reflection, saying, “No, I’m not a villain, make me a hero again!”      

It was our Christmas card to him, and Dan got more like 40 from around the world. And actually I argue he can be a protagonist as an anti-hero. Not a hero.

"

cool
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Primmaster64

Wasen't Johns the one that brought back the Silver Age?

RedHoodsDen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RedHoodsDen

I keep telling you guys. The petitions are cute but they remember the propaganda.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By Caligula

not to be a bubble buster here but you may need a lot more than 72 names....

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By TheCrowbar

Not to burst this bubble further, but it looks more like DC is downsizing a new series isn't in the stars.

RedHoodsDen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RedHoodsDen

I'm not gonna lay Jason's fate with the Freedom Fighters and Doom Patrol boys, or Magog,   

You guys really expect me to believe that hundreds of people screamed about Stephanie Brown's murder?   
    HEAT was basically 50 people. This isn't an industry that needs tremendous noise to react. Just a strong message.

It was fans that told DC "You know, Barry Allen would be relevant again. CSI and all that" and then you hear it come out of editorials mouth at cons a couple years later. 

A good idea that gets in their heads is something they'll publish.  The message just needs to be recieved.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By Caligula
    @RedHoodsDen: I think you underestimate Stephanie's fan-base.
    RedHoodJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RedHoodJT
    @Primmaster64:  Unfortunately yes it was Johns.
    RedHoodJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RedHoodJT

It doesn't make any sense to me. don't get me wrong I like that Stephanie is Batgirl. She is a pretty cool Batgirl. But what happened to her wasn't really any different than what happened to Jason. I mean she was tortured by Black Mask and then "killed." Jason was tortured by the Joker then blown up and killed trying to save his mother from the blast because Joker double crossed Jason's mom. So if a bunch of people reacted poorly to the death of Stephanie and she got her own book. My question is where the f@#k is Jason's own series?

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By Primmaster64
    @RedHoodJT: Goddammit...Wonder why?
    RedHoodsDen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RedHoodsDen

@Caligula said: 

" @RedHoodsDen: I think you underestimate Stephanie's fan-base. "

I don't think I do. Because it's not me taking a shot at them. I'm saying I think those two fanbases are comparable but Stephanie got a series when she became Batgirl. That's when she hit the big leagues. Jason has another side to that. He's notorious as Jason Todd.  But when he became the Red Hood it all gel-ed.

My point about these movements in fandom is they're never that big but they can make enough noise to get noticed. But they're never epic. 
     Remember when Didio asked for 600 postcards to get Wonder Woman renumbered?  They supposedly got 1000... The photo of all the postcards in the DC office where many of the postcards appeared to have the same  "600" handscrawled on them, and when zoomed they felt rather "cloned" in photoshop and there were certainly under 300 postcards pictured, forget 600 or a thousand. Surely not a case of enraged fans, but it speaks volumes about trying to get the fans to do anything, a generation of internet based fans to go write physical letter to a company that discontinued the practice of publishing them years before. 
    georgethecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By georgethecat
    @RedHoodJT said:
    " It doesn't make any sense to me. don't get me wrong I like that Stephanie is Batgirl. She is a pretty cool Batgirl. But what happened to her wasn't really any different than what happened to Jason. I mean she was tortured by Black Mask and then "killed." Jason was tortured by the Joker then blown up and killed trying to save his mother from the blast because Joker double crossed Jason's mom. So if a bunch of people reacted poorly to the death of Stephanie and she got her own book. My question is where the f@#k is Jason's own series? "
    It actually wasn't just about Stephanie being killed. It was, but what I mean is that the fans were upset because she was made Robin only to be killed and it was one more fridging of a female character to add angst for a male character (Tim) and the torture was hyper sexualized. (Though, Jason's was actually pretty sexualized, too! Joker talks about giving Jason a "spanking" and that he's been a "bad boy" -- that was even used in Under the Red Hood -- Joker calling Jason pumpkin and lampchop. That creepy scene where Joker leaves the warehouse seems a little rape-y. And then of course, there's what Frank Miller wanted to imply in The Dark Knight Returns....)  

More than anything, what it was really about was that a female Robin was killed and she did not receive the same status in death as a male Robin. But no, there weren't hundreds of postcards sent in. It was probably 100. But they set up a website and kept pushing the issue, especially from a feminist standpoint. (The fridging, the torture session, the lack of a memorial). And they did a petition as well, IIRC.  

And no, the first petition doesn't have *that* many names. But, it was also 72 people who were willing to give their names -- not everyone is willing to do that. And not to fault the fan who did the first petition, but I don't think it was available for a very long time before she sent it off to DC. 
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @georgethecat said:
    " @danhimself: Tell that to all the women and fans who petitioned DC to have Stephanie Brown be given a memorial, just like Jason got. A lot of these fans are already buying stuff with Jason in it, they are asking for more.  "
    did steph get one?
    @RedHoodsDen said:
    " @RedHoodJT said:
    " I'm just saying I've seen several interviews of Didio were he implies that he isn't a fan of Jason. I'm not knocking everything he does just when it comes to Jason. And don't get me started on Johns. He hates every character that has ever replaced one. I.E. Kyle Rayner, Wally West. To name a few. I'm not saying that he isn't a good writer, he is. I just don't like the fact that he takes my favorites and makes them look like dumbasses lacking the skill and talent to do their job. "
    Really? I'd like to see those interviews. Don't take that as a challenge or anything I just assumed between wanting Jason to replace Grayson, featuring him in Countdown, and the original idea for Generation Lost that Didio was always trying to find a fit for Jason. "
    Ofcourse he was,didio is why jason even came back.
    @RedHoodsDen said:
    "Stephanie Brown got a series because she became Batgirl, not because she's Stephanie Brown.   There was no Spoiler book. The one identity would be weak without the other.  If Jason Todd gets a series, it will be because he's Jason Todd.  As to Didio, if he had it his way, Jason would've had a series in 2006. Blame Geoff Johns and editorial for making the case Dick was not a back-up Batman in need of killing.  Though...you know....now he's a backup Batman.  But DC's titles are just imploding right now. It's time for risks. "

So dick should be killed?i guess that's DC's best idea for jason .
    RedHoodsDen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RedHoodsDen

Well entropy I really didn't see any excerpts from Didio that really bugged me so I'm not sure what he meant. I saw him say he sees Jason as a villain but that's about it and it's normal for editorial to tow those lines with current directions. It's not necessarily what they really think. Same as with Hal during the Emerald Twilight years, editorial hammered away what a horrible, crazy man Hal Jordan was. 

I'm not arguing Dick should be killed by any means. He's an icon as the Robin.  I'm just not really impressed by anything I'd read of Nightwing in the last oh, 15 years. But my point was editorial was considering it because he was hum-drum, a backup Batman [their words]. Now he is what they felt was his weakness. I don't know if it's a victory or a sad admission.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @danhimself said:
    "petitions do nothing...if you want to show support then go out and buy books with Jason in them "
    Agreed.
    @RedHoodJT said:
    "Exactly. When he said that a fan walked up to him and asked for their 50cents back and he told them that he called in for him to die and he didn't get his money back so you're not either. I was like this guy is the definition of a douche. "
    So he should have prevented jason's return?or start giving money to all the voters from more than 20 years agao,BWHAHAHAHA.if anything the idiot asking for his cents should have been smart enough not to ask a question like that.

@georgethecat said:
    " @entropy_aegis said:
    " If DC was really that interested they would have done so,i mean steph brown got her own comic. "
     Stephanie Brown is a great character and Batgirl has consistently been a fantastic book. DC is interested enough to put Judd Winick on Batman and Robin to write Jason in current continuity. But thanks once again, for your "insights." "

Dc put winick on the book cause tomasi got delayed,it happened before and they got cornell.after brightest day ends tomasi will be on full time. 
    and i believe that winick and daniel were supposed to do rotating arcs on the main batman but winicks long shadows got a lot of crap ,while daniels life after death recieved somewhat more praise ,even the rookie writer edged out winick.(though i'm not fully sure of this). 
    if you ask me winick is the reason why DC is reluctant to give jason a book.but who knows wait and see after generation lost ends.
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @RedHoodsDen said:
    "Well entropy I really didn't see any excerpts from Didio that really bugged me so I'm not sure what he meant. I saw him say he sees Jason as a villain but that's about it and it's normal for editorial to tow those lines with current directions. It's not necessarily what they really think. Same as with Hal during the Emerald Twilight years, editorial hammered away what a horrible, crazy man Hal Jordan was.  I'm not arguing Dick should be killed by any means. He's an icon as the Robin.  I'm just not really impressed by anything I'd read of Nightwing in the last oh, 15 years. But my point was editorial was considering it because he was hum-drum, a backup Batman [their words]. Now he is what they felt was his weakness. I don't know if it's a victory or a sad admission. "

The nightwing series had really good arcs and writers at first.it was around the devin grayson/bruce jones era that te character got crap,winicks outsiders added to that. 
    he's badass as batman,look no further than batman and detective comics.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By daredevil21134
    @entropy_aegis said:
    "@RedHoodsDen said:
    "Well entropy I really didn't see any excerpts from Didio that really bugged me so I'm not sure what he meant. I saw him say he sees Jason as a villain but that's about it and it's normal for editorial to tow those lines with current directions. It's not necessarily what they really think. Same as with Hal during the Emerald Twilight years, editorial hammered away what a horrible, crazy man Hal Jordan was.  I'm not arguing Dick should be killed by any means. He's an icon as the Robin.  I'm just not really impressed by anything I'd read of Nightwing in the last oh, 15 years. But my point was editorial was considering it because he was hum-drum, a backup Batman [their words]. Now he is what they felt was his weakness. I don't know if it's a victory or a sad admission. "
    The nightwing series had really good arcs and writers at first.it was around the devin grayson/bruce jones era that te character got crap,winicks outsiders added to that. he's badass as batman,look no further than batman and detective comics. "

I liked Grayson when he was Nightwing
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @daredevil21134:
    He had a badass costume and style but that's what got overplayed later on in the comic. 
    as batman there is more emphasis on the superhero in him.
    RedHoodsDen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RedHoodsDen

I read the Chuck Dixon stuff. It just never worked for me. Tad kinda cracked me up though. 

Tony Daniel- great penciler, terrible writer. I don't see much more to his stuff other than that he plays the fan favorites card and tries to tie all his stuff into either O'Neil, Adams, Miler, or Loeb. If he brings back Gilda Dent next arc...wow...  And if the Reaper wasn't enough? Now a drop of lazarus pit now can resurrect the dead Sensei? Oye! Catgirl! 

Scott Snyder's great but that's all about Jim Gordon Jr. being a little psycho. What was up with the dude in iron lung 2 issues back though?

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By entropy_aegis

Eh daniel is improving,and recycling old stuff/paying a homage is better than just flatout using old stuff(cough dark knight). 
    the grayson/dealer fight rocked though. 
    and WTF happened to the site some four hours ago?
    RedHoodsDen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By RedHoodsDen

Top Men are aware... 

TOP...MEN...

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By daredevil21134
    @RedHoodsDen said:
    "Top Men are aware...  TOP...MEN... "

lol
    RedHoodsDen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By RedHoodsDen

Okay Hoodies, what if I told you we could get Mr. Lou Ferrigno, TV's Incredible Hulk to record a special video birthday greeting for Dan Didio...and also include a request for a Red Hood series in it?  

This is bwahaha mind you.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By daredevil21134
    @RedHoodsDen said:
    "Okay Hoodies, what if I told you we could get Mr. Lou Ferrigno, TV's Incredible Hulk to record a special video birthday greeting for Dan Didio...and also include a request for a Red Hood series in it?   This is bwahaha mind you. "

interesting
    RedHoodJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By RedHoodJT
    @entropy_aegis:  I never said he should have prevented Jason's return. What I think he should have told that fan was "Sorry kid or guy heroes die in comics all the time and are brought back too bad you wasted 50 cents get over it."
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By daredevil21134

lol

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.