Follow

J. Michael Straczynski

Person » J. Michael Straczynski is credited in 789 issues.

J. Michael Straczynski is an American born writer. He is the Creator of Babylon 5. Straczynski's work at Marvel includes Amazing Spider-man, Fantastic Four & Squadron Supreme. His work at DC includes Superman, Wonder Woman, the Superman: Earth One books, and Before Watchmen: Nite Owl, Dr. Manhattan, and Moloch.

Interview: J. Michael Straczynski Talks SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE Volume Three

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Earth One books gives writers a chance to flesh out characters in a new way. This allows both new and old readers to simply dive in and enjoy the stories. With a character like Superman, we've seen over seventy-five years of history. J. Michael Straczynski has now written three volumes with Superman. This isn't exactly the Superman you've known before. While, at its roots, it's the same character but Straczynski is adding a nice touch with his version.

The latest book, Volume 3, is on sale today. We spoke with Straczynski about creating a different version of the Man of Steel.

No Caption Provided

COMIC VINE: What goes on in your mind as you sit down to create new characters and a different take on the iconic Superman universe? Pure enjoyment? Pressure?

J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI: For me, it's pure, unabashed pleasure. Writing is supposed to be fun, because if you're having fun, then the reader will have fun. If you're writing with mittens on, or boxing yourself in out of fear of making a mistake, it seeps through in the final product. At the same time, it's a delicate dance to dance; you don't want to regurgitate what you grew up with, because what's the point, and you don't want to go the opposite way from what was done before just to be contrary, because both of those will produce something that's more reactionary than creative. So for me, regardless of how iconic the character is, the question is, who is this character when the lights are off, his eyes are closed, and his thoughts turn inward? What formed his personality? What does he aspire toward, what does he fear, what does he hope for? Start with those questions, and you'll rarely go wrong.

CV: How much fun is it to write Alexandra and Lex Luthor?

JMS: That's just been a hoot. Giving Lex a wife who is as sharp as he is, albeit in somewhat different disciplines, makes for a terrific pairing. There's something very much fun and very much alone about knowing you're the smartest person in the room...until the day you discover there's someone else in the room as smart as you are, and that person is, to you, the most beautiful thing in the world, because you're not alone anymore. We pick up Lex at a crucial moment in his life, he can go either way, toward the dark or the light...and I think there are going to be some surprises here in terms of which way he goes in the end.

No Caption Provided

CV: What made you decide to go with creating and using Lisa Lasalle, Clark's neighbor, as a close friend to Clark instead of using an previously existing character?

No Caption Provided

JMS: Again, do you want to just recycle characters, or create something new? All the other key characters are there -- Lois, Jim, Perry, Lex, and so on -- so why not bring in someone new? Bear in mind also -- form following function -- that Clark is newly arrived in Metropolis. He doesn't really know anyone there yet, hasn't had the chance to form friendships. He gets to know Lisa because she's in the next apartment down the hall and keeps nudging her way into his world. Remember also that Clark is someone who's had to keep secrets and keep a distance his whole life, so his friend-making skills aren't necessarily the best.

Which goes to the Lois/Clark dynamic. Some folks were bugged by the fact that Lois and Clark didn't become a romantic item in v1. But I think Clark has to earn that relationship, he (as himself or Superman) can't just fall into that immediately. As Clark, Lois would be suspicious of this guy who came out of nowhere to get the interview of the century, and as Superman, she would have to be cautious because he's the story, and you have to maintain a certain journalistic distance to remain objective in your reporting. Clark/Superman needs to earn her trust, and later, her affection. So that's where Lisa comes into the picture, at least for now.

CV: You've written the regular Superman before. Is it easier to write this newer version with a different attitude rather than the typical "boy scout" version we've seen for over seventy-five years?

JMS: When I did the Grounded storyline, before the first E1 book took off and DC suggested I give v2 my full attention and let others proceed with the monthly book, you can kind of feel the seventy-plus years of kid-gloves with which the character has been written. You feel yourself having to constantly elbow your way through the close walls to create room for character stuff, so yeah, having a situation where I can create something that's free of that continuity is cool. That said, however, it's the rules that makes basketball interesting, so you have to embrace that challenge and run with it.

No Caption Provided

CV: It seems in many tellings of Superman's story, his parents (Jonathan and Martha) end up dying. (Provided she survives Volume 3), how important is Ma Kent to your version of Superman?

JMS: I think she's very important, and would like to keep her around as long as I can. She gives Clark an emotional foundation that he can get nowhere else...she's the one person (thus far) that knows his secret, and to whom he can talk about all of the things he's going through. She's also what he fights for. There's a massive fight in v3 that's pretty intense...but then when the antagonist gets a possible handle on where Clark's mother might be, that's when he goes right over the edge and goes at this guy full tilt.

CV: How did Superman's big nemesis in this volume get designed? Did you give Ardian Syaf any input or specifications?

JMS: I had some vague notions, but pretty much all the credit has to go to Ardian on this. I think he looked a bit to the last Superman movie for some broad strokes facially, then went off on his own.

CV: Can we assume (and hope) you have even more Superman Earth One stories in mind after this?

JMS:Dan DiDio at DC has said I can continue to write these books for as long as I want, and I'd love to continue to do more of them. Because honestly, how often does a chance like this come along in life?

SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE Volume 3 is on sale now in comic shops and everywhere on February 10.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I didn't even know there was a volume 3, I have to get this now.

Avatar image for medulaoblaganda
    medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingimmortalman: I updated the last part. It is on sale in comic shops today. Comes out everywhere else next Tuesday.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First two were awesome. (And Batman, too!) I'll be getting this.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

I'm probably gonna be bashed for this......

JMS wrote Superman?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7 the_stegman  Moderator

Grabbing it!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
    deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Super(pun intended) article. Can't wait for this. Screw the haters this is easily one of my favourite superman iterations on the market.

movieartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By movieartman

guys someone please post images of zod from the book here in the comments

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First 2 were great will need to pick this up, glad they said they will continue to make more. Earth One has been pretty solid so far.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to try to review this since I got to read it early. I will say I liked it and liked it more than Volume 2.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am so gonna pick this up.

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man said:

I'm going to try to review this since I got to read it early. I will say I liked it and liked it more than Volume 2.

But did you like it more than Volume 1?

What is your order for the books? From best to worst.

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The red drawls! Noice.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
    FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@edblank: lol, I thought I was the only one who kinda liked the undies

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be picking this up for sure.

Dedpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Keep them coming! I can't wait for Batman Vol 2 and Teen Titans Vol 1

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really liked the first one and the second was alright so i'll give this a try.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
    deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been waiting for this one for a while. Volume 2 was excellent, really got me interested in Parasite.

Avatar image for medulaoblaganda
    medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'm getting this as soon as I get to my LCS!

cmd735

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love earth one so much

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By redwingx

I like the suit honestly.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait to pick this up.

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@punyparker: yes. He was actually the last writer to write Pre-New 52 Superman. He wrote the notorious Grounded story arc

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super(pun intended) article. Can't wait for this. Screw the haters this is easily one of my favourite superman iterations on the market.

Haha once the haters read this volume they'll agree with you ;)

@anjales said:

@punyparker: yes. He was actually the last writer to write Pre-New 52 Superman. He wrote the notorious Grounded story arc

He only wrote the first six or so issues.(The part which everyone liked) Then Chris Roberson took over from him.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

SUPER!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.