Hello. Talking about Irredeemable 1-17

Avatar image for captain_marvelous
    Captain_Marvelous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So this is my first blog post and I'm thinking about making my blogs mostly about what I'm currently reading. To start, I've been reading Irredeemable for the past couple of days and I just want to give my thoughts on it so far. Reading this really made me remember how much I love Mark Waid's writing.  
    I like everyone in this book. The Plutonian does a good job of being a Superman-clone without necessarily "feeling" like a Superman-clone. I love that he is so unpredictable and the fact he really does feel like power unleashed. I like the motivation that he has a need to be loved by everyone and the fact that his powers are basically overwhelming him because he can't please everyone. It doesn't devolve to him being a spoiled brat with God tier superpowers *cough* Superboy-Prime*cough*Vulcan*cough*. I also have just some sympathy for him even though he does some seriously messed up stuff in this book.
    As for the rest of Paradigm, Qubit has to be my favorite character in this book. He reminds me of Dr. Who. I like how he is the only one still willing to save Plutonian while everyone else on the team is dead-set on killing him. His powers are cool (I'm always fond of tech powers) and the fact that he doesn't always think things through makes it interesting whenever he makes a mistake like building robots that think like a psychotic genius killer.  
    The twins were interesting but some things confused me. You have Scylla, who came off as the hot-headed and careless brother; then you have Charybdis, who came off as the more cool-headed and careful type. But when Scylla dies, there seems to be a 180 degree character shift in Charybdis (or the Survivor as he's now called). The twins shared their power but when one dies, the other gains the full power. I could maybe buy that the sudden power makes him more hotblooded, but demanding that the people cheer for him after announcing that he's going to take down the Plutonian. BIG red flag right there. He has mellowed out since that issue but he may be someone to watch out for. 
    Kaiden has a power that I've never seen before. She can call the ghosts by reciting their stories. At first it seems that she can only call spirits from Japanese legends, but then she calls the spirits of her dead teammates. I love that sort of thing where the hero finds out they're a lot more powerful than they originally thought. She has been in the background for a while now but after discovering her new power I'm sure she's going to be a heavy hitter soon. 
    Now onto Gilgamos and Bette. I don't really hate Gilgamos, but he stirs up absolutely no emotional connection for me. I felt no emotion when his wings were ripped off nor when he found out that Bette cheated on him. Probably the only thing that aroused any interest was when he escaped the army prison by having visions of Alexander the Great. As for Bette, she's basically the scapegoat that everyone is placing the blame on for keeping the secret for stopping the Plutonian when his initial rampage began. It kind of seems that so far she is being set up to do something big to redeem herself, but I still haven't caught up so I'll have to see. 
    So to draw this post to a close, I'll talk about plot. This story is nowhere near ending anytime soon and I like that. Seeing Paradigm on the run and trying to find information on the Plutonian to beat him kept it really suspenseful to watch. Also when they try to find different ways to hurt him was fun to watch. From searching for his arch-nemesis Modeus, to getting the candle wax bullet, to using the Survivor and a Demon to try to take him down. I'm interested in seeing what Waid will come up with next. I also look forward to checking out the sister book: Incorruptible. Hero's becoming villains is a cool idea, but the Villains turning good piques my interest a lot more.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.