Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11210 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

Thor V Iron Man? Why

tylertothemax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have no idea why so many people think Iron Man would beat Thor.
    Is it because of The Avengers movie? Thor would spank Iron Man.
    I mean...... he can swing Mjolnir faster than the speed of light.

FiMFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who has been telling you Iron Man beats Thor?

Nightwing4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The Avengers movie was not kind to Thor. The opening scenes of Thor's movie had him soloing hundreds of frost giants effortlessly. Then in Avengers, he's jobbed big time. Not that I'm too upset, otherwise he'd have made Hawkeye, Widow, Cap, and Iron Man pointless.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Avengers movie was not kind to Thor. The opening scenes of Thor's movie had him soloing hundreds of frost giants effortlessly. Then in Avengers, he's jobbed big time. Not that I'm too upset, otherwise he'd have made Hawkeye, Widow, Cap, and Iron Man pointless.

This, they needed to make Tony Look good as he is the star of the franchise. Lets not forget, that with Bruce playing second to Tony's in the lab, they needed to give hulk a boost too since he is one of their top characters and needed a showing to dwarf all that drama that was going on with his ex-actors.

Granted the Frost giants didn't exactly have any high showings either, and Thor didn't look like he really wanted to hurt Tony.

JJ62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By JJ62

Thor would destroy Iron Man, HANDS DOWN!

I actually like Iron Man as a character better than Thor, but I'm not letting that blind me to the facts. Facts are, Thor is leagues stronger, can fly faster, and has much more powerful abilities.

Avatar image for thegodofthunder
    TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheGodofThunder

I actually though Avengers did a decent job showcasing thor. He totally manhandled Iron man WITHOUT mjolnir and had a very good showing against Hulk, again partially with some h2h, despite holding back. Only people who are ZOMG HULKZ ANZ IRONZMANZ!!!!! thought that iron man and hulk whooped his behind.

GunGunW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GunGunW

Thor beats Iron Man, but Iron Man is massively a better character.

For the record, how many people think Batman beats Superman? It's the same thing

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 2

@nightwing4 said:

And Iron man wouldn't have solo'd all those Frost Giants? They weren't impressive IMO. There's no way Thor is soloing the invasion.

I don't think he was jobbering in Avengers, just reduced his role. He didn't want to fight Hulk, he didn't want to fight Loki, he prefers to handle fights in a more physical so that's why he was clubbing with his hammer. Those characters listed always seemed out of place anyway, while the obvious heavy hitters of the team were Thor, hulk, and Iron Man who could have taken care of bidness alone.

@jj62 said:

I actually like Iron Man as a character better than Thor, but I'm not letting that blind me to the facts. Facts are, Thor is leagues stronger, can fly faster, and has much more powerful abilities.

The facts are that Tony was joking around and still did pretty well against Thor, all things considered. And while Thor is stronger, and might have better abilities, I noticed you overlooked the enormous gap Stark has over him. Thor's not a smart fighter at all.

I actually though Avengers did a decent job showcasing thor. He totally manhandled Iron man WITHOUT mjolnir and had a very good showing against Hulk, again partially with some h2h, despite holding back. Only people who are ZOMG HULKZ ANZ IRONZMANZ!!!!! thought that iron man and hulk whooped his behind.

Where was Stark manhandled? ROFL Cause part of his suit was crushed? Thor being the dumb-dumb that he is powered Iron Man's suit to a level Stark didn't think possible, then Thor was embarrassed after being blown back by Cap's shield. Did Thor manhandle Loki when he fell for the same trick a second time? lol

@gungunw said:

For the record, how many people think Batman beats Superman? It's the same thing

Yeah, it's not like Batman has ever defeated Superman before.

GunGunW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanni15 said:

@nightwing4 said:

And Iron man wouldn't have solo'd all those Frost Giants? They weren't impressive IMO. There's no way Thor is soloing the invasion.

I don't think he was jobbering in Avengers, just reduced his role. He didn't want to fight Hulk, he didn't want to fight Loki, he prefers to handle fights in a more physical so that's why he was clubbing with his hammer. Those characters listed always seemed out of place anyway, while the obvious heavy hitters of the team were Thor, hulk, and Iron Man who could have taken care of bidness alone.

@jj62 said:

The facts are that Tony was joking around and still did pretty well against Thor, all things considered. And while Thor is stronger, and might have better abilities, I noticed you overlooked the enormous gap Stark has over him. Thor's not a smart fighter at all.

@thegodofthunder said:

Where was Stark manhandled? ROFL Cause part of his suit was crushed? Thor being the dumb-dumb that he is powered Iron Man's suit to a level Stark didn't think possible, then Thor was embarrassed after being blown back by Cap's shield. Did Thor manhandle Loki when he fell for the same trick a second time? lol

@gungunw said:

Yeah, Batman hasn't ever defeated Superman in a canon story before.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gungunw: Batman beats Superman all the time on the Battle forums. Batman can defeat Supes if he wanted to, just like Superman could kill Batman.

JJ62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanni15 said:

@jj62 said:

True, I mean he's been outsmarted by Stark, Loki and even Cap. But I still feel that Thor takes the vast majority, because he does have a wider range of abilities. But, your'e right I overlooked that. Iron Man is a genius who (although cocky) is quite calculated. But Thor simply outclasses him in everything else..

JJ62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JJ62
    @gungunw said:

The big difference with that is:

Superman > Thor

Iron Man > Batman

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@jj62 said:
    @gungunw said:

The big difference with that is:

Superman > Thor

Iron Man > Batman

Bahahahahahahahha.

Anyway, Iron Man can beat Thor because Iron Man has BS plot powers. ANTI-MAGNETISM ARMOR.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even after Thor and Iron Man's 'scuffle' in Avengers, Thor still has no problem saying 'You humans are so puny. And tiny.' to Tony and Cap.

lantian1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lantian1

Not to mention Thor never unleashed lightning in Avengers like he did on jotunheim.

He does care about Earth so didn't unleash power that would have destroyed New York quicker than the nuke

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tylertothemax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By tylertothemax

@fimftw: all things considered, Thor is practically invincible according to the Marvel Wiki, and what I have personally read through comics.

tylertothemax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tylertothemax

@nightwing4: ccompletely agree. The viewers are gravitated to Tony Stark, therefore the studio has to buff him and nerf Thor.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@fimftw said:

youtube commenters, who think they know facts about the comics just because they seen a movie.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By THORSON

@xanni15 said:

@nightwing4 said:

@jj62 said:

@thegodofthunder said:

@gungunw said:

Messed up.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Xanni15

@thorson said:

@fimftw said:

youtube commenters, who think they know facts about the comics just because they seen a movie.

They're the worst, people making a living trolling comment sections. Yuck!

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#22  Edited By lorex

I don't think Iron Man could beat Thor at all. In the Comics there is a wider gap then in the movies. The example many see to go back to is the Avengers movie. Yes RDJ is the headliner and needed to look good but the way I see it is Iron Man did well but you could see that if it had continued much longer Thor would have caused so much damage Tony would no longer be able to protect himself, let alone attack. Also I dont think the Thor v Hulk was unkind to Thor. Its clear to me he was trying to reach the man behind the beast not fight him all out.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
    deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor was only holding back against Iron Man to not kill him. He didn't go all out against Hulk either because of the amount of S.H.I.E.L.D personnel onboard the Helicarrier. if he'd summoned Lightning,everyone would've been fried. However we saw him take down many enenmies when he lit up lots of Chitauri and at least 2 of those Space-Whales(were they Leviathons?) as they were coming out of the portal. He was shown as extremely powerful. He used his powers to his full potential in Jotunheim because there we no innocent civilians in sight.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanni15: " while the obvious heavy hitters of the team were Thor, hulk, and Iron Man who could have taken care of bidness alone."

none of his weapons did anything against the larger guys lol, he literally had to fly inside one to kill it lol. Handling it alone BARELY.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:

@xanni15:

" while the obvious heavy hitters of the team were Thor, hulk, and Iron Man who could have taken care of bidness alone."

none of his weapons did anything against the larger guys lol, he literally had to fly inside one to kill it lol. Handling it alone BARELY.

ROFL!

None of his weapons did anything but he killed them, so his weapons obviously did do something. lol I think what you meant to say was that his weapons couldn't penetrate the outer shell, but that doesn't matter since he found a way to get inside and kill it. Before any of the other Avengers showed up Iron Man was handling the entire invasion by himself, while Thor was obsessing over Loki, Banner was in route on his moped, and Cap and the two love birds were flying in.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanni15 said:

@w0nd said:

@xanni15:

" while the obvious heavy hitters of the team were Thor, hulk, and Iron Man who could have taken care of bidness alone."

ROFL!

None of his weapons did anything but he killed them, so his weapons obviously did do something. lol I think what you meant to say was that his weapons couldn't penetrate the outer shell, but that doesn't matter since he found a way to get inside and kill it. Before any of the other Avengers showed up Iron Man was handling the entire invasion by himself, while Thor was obsessing over Loki, Banner was in route on his moped, and Cap and the two love birds were flying in.

Ok my mistake, none of his weapons did anything against the OUTTER shell, he flew inside of one blew it up, including himself then bashed into the pavement and bus stop. That's practical. Imagine handling the rest the same way repeatedly...How long do you figure it would take for his shields to drop, blowing himself up and smashing into the ground over and over

And I don't know what you mean handling it by himself, they all left the helicarrier at the same time and took to different areas of the city. I am not saying Ironman, he did a lot I just don't think he could have handled that by himself, considering by the end of the movie his armor was running on like 5% power.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:

Ok my mistake, none of his weapons did anything against the OUTTER shell, he flew inside of one blew it up, including himself then bashed into the pavement and bus stop. That's practical. Imagine handling the rest the same way repeatedly...How long do you figure it would take for his shields to drop, blowing himself up and smashing into the ground over and over

And I don't know what you mean handling it by himself, they all left the helicarrier at the same time and took to different areas of the city. I am not saying Ironman, he did a lot I just don't think he could have handled that by himself, considering by the end of the movie his armor was running on like 5% power.

I'm not saying that Iron Man could have defeated them all by himself, just that without Widow, Cap, and Hawkeye, the heavy hitters of the Avengers (Thor, Hulk, IM) could have. Sure, the casualties would have been greater but the invasion would have been stopped.

They may have left at the same time, I don't recall, but Iron Man got to the city fast enough to trash talk Loki, change suits, and do some major damage to the invasion forces, all before any other Avenger showed up. I agree that Stark couldn't have done it by himself, but Stark deserves to be mentioned along side Thor and Hulk and the heavy weights of the Avengers.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

I always think of the Avenger's heavy hitters as equal in their overall power. Whether it be through brute strength, supernatural powers, intellect or leadership, they all possess equally important skills. That's why, together, they are the Earth's Mightiest Heroes and always find a way to beat the odds. That is why we all enjoy them so much.

Now that I got that out of the way, Iron Man knocks Thor out into an Odin sleep.

The_Thunderer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By The_Thunderer
    @extremis said:

I always think of the Avenger's heavy hitters as equal in their overall power. Whether it be through brute strength, supernatural powers, intellect or leadership, they all possess equally important skills. That's why, together, they are the Earth's Mightiest Heroes and always find a way to beat the odds. That is why we all enjoy them so much.

Now that I got that out of the way, Iron Man knocks Thor out into an Odin sleep.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Yeah, I don't think Tony's winning this one.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

Iron-man can beat Unworthy Thor, I'm sure. But he is not winning against Worthy Thor.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Iron Man outside if some stupidly haxed and PIS armor and prep should never beat Thor especially in a random encounter. King Thor handled that encounter well and so did JMS as well. Thor holds back...if he wanted to he could obliterate IM.

Noone1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This ^

Although Iron Man would put up a great fight every time.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SC  Moderator

@whoisthebest said:

Said like a true fanboy..

Hello. Avoid above, generally try to avoid throwing personal insults or accusations around please. Try and stay civil with your fellow CV users.

Thank you and take care.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.