Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11204 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

Off My Mind: Iron Man 2 Alternate Opening

• 62 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided
    Iron Man 2 is coming out on Blu-ray next week and through the miracle of youtube, one of the features has surfaced, the alternate opening of the movie. This opening begins on the plane right before Tony Stark jumps out for his little stage performance, similar to what we saw in theaters. You might recall a scene in the trailers where Stark is talking to Pepper Potts before jumping. He asks for a kiss, she kisses his helmet and throws it out the plane. Stark jumps out and tells her she 'completes' him. This footage contains that sequence. But that's not all. 

Back in February 2009, I reported that  Production Designer J. Michael Riva got to design a toilet that Tony Stark "pukes in." This was before we had any real plot information. I thought we'd really be seeing the Demon in a Bottle story. When the movie came out, I didn't see Tony Stark, in the armor, puking in a toilet.  

While we did see some tiny elements of Tony's drinking problem, would starting the movie out like this have been a good idea? 
     == TEASER == 
    No Caption Provided
    Even though I was looking forward to this scene, I do think it's better that it didn't start out like this. What we saw in theaters had a more powerful touch to it. It is nice seeing Tony and Pepper bicker but when she mentions that "You look like you look everyday, like you have a hangover," that knocks down Tony's character a little. 

Tony's drinking problem may make his character a little more human but let's be honest, seeing (and hearing) the main character vomiting in the opening credits makes it a tiny bit hard to want to root for them. At least that's how it is for me. Starting things out with Tony already drinking heavily (he did drink a little in the first as well) would make it harder for him to step up and be the hero to 'save the day.' This is the guy that is supposed to be involved with forming the Avengers. Even though we've seen a drunk Tony Stark in the Ultimates version, I don't know how that would come across in the movies. 

Will we ever fully see the Demon in a Bottle story? Do we really need to? Perhaps after The Avengers, if there's an Iron Man 3, they can explore Tony's drinking problem and fall from grace. It could provide some more entertaining moments but honestly, I don't really need or want to see a drunk Iron Man. I want to see Iron Man kicking major butt. To me, that would be more memorable. 

Here is that clip I mentioned from youtube. I'm not sure if it will get pulled or if the user has "permission" to post, as studios sometimes do. Check it out while you can. Do you think this would've changed the feel of the movie?

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Tony was already at his most douchey in this film, dropping the vomiting was the right decision, imo.

Dark Walker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Dark Walker

We did see a drunk Tony in the movie though, at his party he was piss drunk...literally...remember the bit he did with "going" in his suit and how it recycles or something.  I agree with seeing or hearing him puke in the opening, not a good way to start out a superhero movie.  Myself I totally expected to see a drunk Iron Man in the second movie, its...dare I say...part of his character.  Not so much not but at one time.

ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By ShirEPanjshir

I agree. Only the comic book fans who know Tony's story would've 'appreciated' this opening scene. But the general audience would probably be like "what the f...", some of my friends already had some objections with the drunken Tony at his party scene. So I'm guessing this probably would've gone over a lot worse to them.

This is, after all, a superhero movie. Besides, a lot of people were already complaining that Tony was too douchy and too irresponsible in this movie.

wingster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By wingster

It was the right decision to leave this scene out. Also, Paltrow rocks as Pepper!

Gunslinger6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Gunslinger6

I didn't like this scene, it's good they left it out. I liked the end of it the we saw in the trailer, they didn't have to cut out Tony's and Pepper's small talk

NexusOfLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NexusOfLight

I thought it was funny and would have loved to've seen that opening, but it goes without saying that it would've gotten a lotta heat. I would love to see the demon in a bottle thing explored through Marvel's movieverse because I think it's a powerful story to see a "super hero" battle something more real than "super villains." Sure, kicking butt is always fun to see, but kicking a bad addiction is somethin' that really gets to a lotta people on more than one level.

ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ShirEPanjshir
    @NexusOfLight said:
    "I would love to see the demon in a bottle thing explored through Marvel's movieverse because I think it's a powerful story to see a "super hero" battle something more real than "super villains." Sure, kicking butt is always fun to see, but kicking a bad addiction is somethin' that really gets to a lotta people on more than one level. "
    Agreed. But using this opening sequence would've been a rather bad start for the movie. 

I agree that they should go further on the demon in a bottle story line. It humanizes the great Tony Stark a whole lot. But I think it will work better the way they're doing it now. They showed a casual drinking Tony in the first movie. They showed a drunk Tony Stark at his party in the second ( making himself completely look like an ass ). I'm guessing they might go deeper into his drinking problem in the third movie. This is kind of easing the audience into his problem ( the same way this problem creeps up on people, they think they control it and before they realize it, it controls them ) instead of just dropping the bomb on them and showing a superhero falling from grace even before he actually rises to it.
    Ciffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ciffy

Just want to add something as someone who's not hella into comics like most of you probably are. Not knowing about the Demon in a Bottle story that some of you have reference and only passively knowing about the character alcohol problems, watching this sequence to me looked like nerves more than being drunk.  Granted, Pepper talked about him being hungover twice but with the lead in to the actual opening, he doesn't act drunk that I remember once he lands, which leads further credence to him just being nervous.  Now that's probably not in his character to be nervous, which makes it good that it was dropped, just wanted to throw another opinion out there from someone who's probably more of a mainstream fan and less comic book geek.

Blackestnight1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Blackestnight1

i agree with gman im glad it was cut

LassieOfDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LassieOfDoom

You know, there's ONE reason I would have liked to have that scene in the opening: Until the moment where you actually can see him puking, his... strange... vomit-noises... you know... They could be the sound of someone being tortured. Viewers would have anticipated to see something like a torture scene and then they see Tony dancing the One-Too-Much. And, in my opinion, it somehow would have matched to the otherwise dry sense of humor of this movie.

roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By roadbuster

Other alternative takes... 

The opening in the article, while cute, wouldn't have fit the flow of the film they ended up with.  The intimacy and flirtation between Tony and Pepper would make him even more off putting as a protagonist when he pushes her away or chases skirts.  The toilet would act as an overly aggressive alcoholic red herring even before we were into the film (that is, people would make snap judgments about him rather than the ambiguity of "blood toxicity" before the ambiguity is cleared up... and for the less critical audience members the drunken party would have cemented their opinion). 

Really, in terms of character, the only thing Tony has going for him is humor and sympathy (and even the latter is a struggle even if Tony's dying... basically the only thing that excuses his behavior in the least- the audience is already confronted with a person that has it all in terms of power, wealth, fame, popularity, and relationships... and trying to feel sorry for a man pissing it all away is a stretch) so avoiding robbing the audience of that right away is on the safer side.
    ComicCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By ComicCrazy

I like the final cut of the movie and after watching that clip I'm glad they didn't put that in.
    Lustwish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Lustwish

oh yeah I agree.  Wasted film, save it for the dvd lol. 

Avatar image for the_cyan_lantern
    The Cyan Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14  Edited By The Cyan Lantern

It's hard to stress a story based on alcoholism when millions of children under 13 are going to see the film but I'd love to seen it in the movie.

Adam Michaels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Adam Michaels

I think if they do go for Demon In a Bottle, they're working towards that beautifully. Instead of just turning him into a drunk overnight, they're building towards it. It's more of a natural progression than it suddenly being forced down our throats.  

And I think that it would make A LOT of sense if Tony succumbs to alcoholism after his adventures in Iron Man, Iron Man 2, and The Avengers. Everybody deals with their issues differently, Tony turns to drinking.  

I'd definitely be down for a Demon In a Bottle as a theme for Iron Man 3. It doesn't need to be specifically a copy of the comic arc. But it can definitely be a heavy influence. 

This is what could set IM3 apart from the others, Tony Stark is in a dark place and it can have a more serious tone than the previous films. He'll obviously never lose his sense of humor and his charm. But to have him be a little more dark in this film would be great. And if RDJ is still around for that one, I'm more than 100% sure that he can pull it off.
    SUPER-MAN 23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 789

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By SUPER-MAN 23

I agree with G-Man. I'm glad that scene was cut. 

Oh and also. I thought Robert Downey Jr. gave up drinking? Do actors actually drink beer in movies? Or is it some fake non beer drink.

Sobe Cin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Sobe Cin

I would have lost all respect had that scene been in the actual movie. It would detracted from the story. But it does give a better understanding to why pepper kissed the helmet instead of him.
    TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TwoLines

I wouldn't mind, he doesn't seem douchey after that to me. At least not MORE douchey.
    Alcoholism and drug addiction are very interesting when it comes to super heroes.
    Would like to see more of that.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#19  Edited By ImperiousRix

I think that opening would've set up the wrong tone for the rest of the movie.  I mean, I know Iron Man is a more comedic superhero movie that most, but it kinda hurts the character if you put him in such a state within the first 2 minutes of the film. 
    And I think Stark's drunkness was explored enough in this movie.  It might not have explicitly said that he's an alcoholic, but it questioned whether or not he indulges a bit too much.  People have mentioned the peeing in his suit thing, but also just the fact that he and Rhodey actually come to blows shows just how far he's fallen. 
    It's not HUGE drama or the most serious portrayal, but again, Iron Man is a tad more light-hearted than a lot of superhero movies.  

The Kraken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The Kraken
    @NexusOfLight said:
    " I thought it was funny and would have loved to've seen that opening, but it goes without saying that it would've gotten a lotta heat. I would love to see the demon in a bottle thing explored through Marvel's movieverse because I think it's a powerful story to see a "super hero" battle something more real than "super villains." Sure, kicking butt is always fun to see, but kicking a bad addiction is somethin' that really gets to a lotta people on more than one level. "
    Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#21  Edited By Decept-O

Definitely a good decision not to use that opening for the movie.   

Even when Stark was a bit tipsy in his home throwing the party, there were a few groans and "oh no's " from people in the movie theatre.  Don't think people who aren't familiar with the "Demon In the Bottle" story would appreciate Tony Stark being more of a lush than what he is.   

There are hints it is quite possible IM 3 may delve into Stark's drinking problem.  However I hope they don't go that route.  That storyline for Iron Man in the comics was a mixed bag.  It was simply Marvel wanting to add more drama and the "human element" to its characters as is Marvel's trademark.  

I also have to agree, I am not too keen on seeing Stark's drinking problem in the movies.   
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sora_thekey

Now it makes sense why she didn't kiss him... 

Still I think that "Go get 'em boss" scene looked cool... take out the puking but leave that!!

Jynxnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jynxnet

I had wondered about the differences between some scenes in the trailer and actual movie, I remember thinking what ever happened to that "you complete me" thing from the trailer after the movie was over. The puking thing would have been to much but I guess without it the helmet toss does not make as much sense so it is probably for the best that it didn't make its way into the movie. 

~Jynx

SuperJam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SuperJam

Iron man 2 was actually too slow moving for me. But i still liked it!

Dr. Detfink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#25  Edited By Dr. Detfink

Sly Stallone once said, he regretted Rocky V because people don't want to see their heroes humanized. I thought that scene of a super hero as a big mess at the beginning would have changed the tone of the film to a more serious matter of how effective would Favreau deal with alcoholism. Since Marvel has toys to sell, you're not going to see that and the DJ scene said all there was to be said. 

I'm content with Iron Man 2...It's just something they left out because of the nature of the film and that's fine.

weapon154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By weapon154

Wow... how pathetic!

GT-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By GT-Man

WTF
    Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

I think from the beginning I would have been looking at him from a distance thinking he is wrong and not the hero and shouldn't have the suit, especially during the meeting with the senator or whatever it was.  I would have been thinking, what a jerk he is, and not how he is right.

Blindside002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Blindside002

I thought it was funny as hell and loved the scene, but I don't think it worked as an opening scene, should have had something before it like a party scene that led up to his being drunk.

BuddyBulson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By BuddyBulson

Im a fan, i think its a great fast paced  opening, & sums up t who ton stark can be and throws you right into the mix. i think they should have kept it, but everyone has their own thoughts, thats just mine.

Duo_forbidden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 604

#31  Edited By Duo_forbidden
    @SUPER-MAN 23 said:
    " I agree with G-Man. I'm glad that scene was cut.  Oh and also. I thought Robert Downey Jr. gave up drinking? Do actors actually drink beer in movies? Or is it some fake non beer drink. "
    Its usually water or something to make it look like alcohol. Sometimes the same thing with cigars and cigarettes-they replace the nicotine and tobacco with something herbal.  

But I agree that it was right to cut that scene out. I really wish they didn't cut the scene when Tony is talking to Pepper on the aircraft though.
    Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#32  Edited By The Impersonator

I haven't read Iron Man comics lately, but I was wondering that Tony's drinking problem leads to the fact he is stressed out when he handles so many things. Since he's smart and all. Not only he's responsible for his company, he saves people as well. I also noticed this in Logan's character. He also drinks but his reason was different. He drinks because he went through a lot killing people at what he does best.
    Dr. Maxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33  Edited By Dr. Maxwell

Good scene would have good later in the film or whatnot, probably would have gotten tons of flack if it was actually put in the movie, bla bla bla alcohol bla bla bla children bla bla bla bad example

Mumbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Mumbles

meh...either way the movie wasn't great....i have to watch it again on dvd, maybe its better then i think.

alicemalice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By alicemalice

If his alcoholism was dealt with more in the movie this would have fit, otherwise it might have felt like a dropped ball.  The way the one scene was set up in Iron man 2 at the party will be a good lead in just in case they do a demon in the bottle story.  

but dear lord have we all been there...and then jumped out of an airplane in an armored suit.

vicsrealms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By vicsrealms

Lol, reminded me of that part in the DVD "Bill Cosby Himself," when he is describing what some people call fun.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#37  Edited By cbishop

Nah, this didn't need to be in a movie.  I liked the "Demon in a Bottle" story, but that's not for the movies.  If there was an Iron Man TV show, there would be room to explore that topic, but it shouldn't be in the movies (more than it already has been).

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Bruce Vain

I personally preferred this opening than the one they used in the theatres. I wish they didn't exclude it. The movie was good but there were a few things I wish they different like have Mickey in it ALLLLOT more , should've just called him Crimson Dynamo since his final look DID NOT look like his comic book counterpart (Whiplash's newest look) . It basically looked like Dynamo's suit with whips & not being red. There were no mention of the 10 Rings or hints of the Mandarins presence like in the first one or like Jon said he would've done. I loved the movie just wish they did a few things differently.
    Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

Might have been a bit much, hope it's on the DVD though

greenenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By greenenvy

Na because if its on the DVD then fine. 

hdorman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By hdorman1

not the greatest opening i have to say

LP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By LP

It didn't need that.

mickoreo_LZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mickoreo_LZ

I think showing Tony with a drinking problem wouldn't have fit the fell of the second film. However, alcoholism would bring more of a human element to a future Iron Man film if they handled it right. Audiences love a super hero that feels real, and part of being real is having demons and being able to overcome them.
    Avatar image for reversenegative
    ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#44  Edited By ReverseNegative

Probably a good thing they changed it.

Avatar image for harleenquinzel10
    harleenquinzel10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By harleenquinzel10

im  glad they changed it, the opening needed to be as explosive and eye catching as it was.
    difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By difficlus
    @hdorman1 said:
    " not the greatest opening i have to say "
    agreed...
    Aleryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Aleryn

AWESOME.

DarkSyde79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By DarkSyde79

I was a slow build but I enjoy’d this scene. For us comic book fans who know about the “Enemy In The Bottle” storyline for Tony, this woulda hit home off the bat. But for the masses who didn’t know, it was better to gloss over it and us fans knew that they where eluding to it throughout the film. Thank goodness for Blu-ray extras… 

kimeraevet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By kimeraevet

I was actually looking for this scene when I went to the movies. Quite a disappointing initial five minutes. Still, It wouldn't have ruined the movie for me. The guy is a drunk who runs around playing super hero because he feels guilty about what his playboy nonchalant antics got him into. And he was only a prick in Iron Man 2. He was a douche bag in the first one. Bring on the substance abuse Tony. I love my movies to have an in depth character assassination and resurrection.

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#50  Edited By Deadcool

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO that was awesome, and funny, I laughed a lot WHY GOD?, WHY?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.