Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11208 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

New IRON MAN BY DESIGN Covers

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here

No Caption Provided

As far as concept for month-long cover themes go, I have to say that April’s IRON MAN BY DESIGN has to be the most “high concept.”  I remember DC did a month of FACES OF THE DCU covers back in the 90s and that was simple.  Every cover was a headshot of one of a character. If I grasp this concept correctly, these are supposed to be depictions of alternate reality version of Shellhead with the time and setting tangentially determined by that of the title. Did I get that right? Take at look at these covers for DARK WOLVERINE #85, X-MEN LEGACY #235 and WOLVERINE ORIGINS #47, which are by Skottie Young, Dave Johnson and Humberto Ramos, respectively. For good measure, I've also thrown in the movie tie-in covers for INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #25 and BLACK WIDOW #1. 

So my guess is that DARK WOLVERINE’s Iron Man is a samurai because Daken’s from Japan and WOLVERINE ORIGINS’ Iron Man is a Mesoamerican mural because the title takes place largely in the past, but I’m a little stumped about the MARS ATTACKS look of the X-MEN LEGACY cover. Does it have something to do with the Shi’Ar?

No Caption Provided

The theme IRON MAN BY DESIGN immediately draws my mind to all the HGTV shows that my Mom’s so addicted to.  I suppose it WOULD be intriguing to see how Tony Stark could redecorate his home on camera for under $500. Considering that the guy forged a high-tech death machine in a cave with only rocks and scrap metal, I suppose there really IS no limit on what he can design on a dime.  I remember that oddly-conceived crossover Marvel did with Guiding Light, a while back. Would it be too far out of the question… would it be too CRAZY…. to suggest a similar crossover with HGTV?

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia.   Watch out for the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover collection this March - - available for pre-order now on Amazon.com.

Avatar image for dementedtheclown
    dementedtheclown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By dementedtheclown

lame

thetitan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By thetitan0

i only like the samurai one, they aren't as good as the other ones.

starz007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By starz007

Love the Wolverine Origins one.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#4  Edited By xerox_kitty
    G-Man reported this, and I loved it at the time.  However, it really REALLY reminds me of the Wolverine 'art appreciation' covers from last year. 

Hulk #11 Wolverine Variant
    Hulk #11 Wolverine Variant
    Avatar image for hero_vs__villian
    hero vs. villian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By hero vs. villian
    @xerox-kitty:
    Yeah, I know, and also, the Black Widow, and Invincible Iron man #25 Varant's, to me, it's like Joey Q. said:"I'm too lazy to get an artist to do a variant. AH! Lets rip off the movie posters, like the variant for Invincible Iron Man #1". :)
    ZORN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By ZORN
    @dementedtheclown said:
    " lame "
    I have to agree with you.
    cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By cmaprice

The movie picture ones are hella lame.

RedK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By RedK

The Samurai one reminded my of this, which i came across the other day on by some guy on deviantart. 

Samurai Doc Doom.
     Samurai Doc Doom.
    have to give the props on this and some of his other stuff like the JLA heres a link you should check this guy out.
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By sora_thekey
    @xerox-kitty: Yeah it reminded me of that and these:  

I guess Iron Man is the next character to be splattered all over the Marvel U, just like Wolverine and Deadpool were...
    KRYPTON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By KRYPTON

HGTV? like Home, garden, television

Avatar image for mr_hulk_smashin__
    Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

@KRYPTON said:
    " HGTV? like Home, garden, television "
    Home AND garden television
    ElJuano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By ElJuano

When I was like 12, i remember seeing a cover to Iron Man, don't remember the ish #, but I do remember the cover was well lame. Compared to the Return of the Jedi poster and Top Gun poster and all the other really cool posters being displayed across the street in a corner video store, the comic looked dull in comparison. That day I thought how cool it would be to have a comic book cover that rivaled any movie poster.. Better yet what if the comic book was made into a movie, a GOOD movie one worthy to be synonymous with its comic book counterpart. That day is here, and now ppl are calling the covers LAME? Woah let's forget it wasn't too long ago that movies that were adapted from comic books were laughable at best. Even if and when the covers displayed pictures and/or artwork from the movie one could only hide their heads in shame. Redundant, yes i will give you that, but not lame. This is by far one of the coolest things I've seen all day !

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Yung ANcient One

we need more of those... i love DP... and Iron Man Getting his own is cool... but we need more...

they're SOO Effing COOL

Avatar image for dementedtheclown
    dementedtheclown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dementedtheclown
    @ElJuano said:

" When I was like 12, i remember seeing a cover to Iron Man, don't remember the ish #, but I do remember the cover was well lame. Compared to the Return of the Jedi poster and Top Gun poster and all the other really cool posters being displayed across the street in a corner video store, the comic looked dull in comparison. That day I thought how cool it would be to have a comic book cover that rivaled any movie poster.. Better yet what if the comic book was made into a movie, a GOOD movie one worthy to be synonymous with its comic book counterpart. That day is here, and now ppl are calling the covers LAME? Woah let's forget it wasn't too long ago that movies that were adapted from comic books were laughable at best. Even if and when the covers displayed pictures and/or artwork from the movie one could only hide their heads in shame. Redundant, yes i will give you that, but not lame. This is by far one of the coolest things I've seen all day ! "

Lemmie Reiterate, Lame. 

Cool Idea, To Have A Bunch Of Ironman Suits, Threw Different Ages n All, Poor Execution
     The Xmen Legacy One Is so-so, The Wolverine Origins Is Sumwhat Decent Yet Confusing, and The Dark Wolverines Samurai Ironman Has A Mustache...

Im Not Sure How The Movie Ones Fit Into This Theme, But To Me Makes It Look Like A Mini Comic I Should Get Free At The Theater Or In A Box Or Cheerios. 
    Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gregomasta

I like em.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.