Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11209 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

Marvel Next Big Thing: INVINCIBLE IRON MAN with Bendis, Marquez, Brevoort, and Alonso

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Last weekend we heard the news about Brian Michael Bendis and David Marquez jumping on the relaunch of INVINCIBLE IRON MAN this fall. When SECRET WARS ends, every title will jump forward 8 months. All books can hit the ground running and set up new mysteries and villains.

Marvel held a press conference with the creative team to discuss what's coming up.

No Caption Provided

Justin Ponsor will also be coloring the series marking a reunion of the MILES MORALES, ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN creative team. Tom Brevoort will be editing.

It was mentioned that the fact that Iron Man was front and center in both of the All-New, All-Different Marvel promos was a deliberate choice. Every year around this time Marvel releases a promo with characters readers should keep an eye out for.

No Caption Provided

All-New, All-Different Marvel is going to unleash some changes in the Marvel Universe. They are "all in" with Iron Man now.

David Marquez, who drew the new designs with colorist Matthew Wilson, was asked if he had any favorites.

"I'm partial to Miles and seeing him in there. Also, getting to design the new Iron Man armor. I love that one and also the new Wolverine."

This marks Brevoort's return to editing Iron Man since Marvel Now. He used to edit it years back. He was asked what made this creative the team the right choice.

No Caption Provided

"As Brian will tell you, I've been trying to talk him into doing Iron Man for a long time. Really going back to, I guess, the early days on AVENGERS. It wasn't even AVENGERS that put the bug in my head. It was Brian's DAREDEVIL run. He took the Matt Murdock character, a character for who there'd been a bunch of big important classic DAREDEVIL runs before that point. He took that character and pushed him into new territory and found new things to say about him and new ways to express him and the world he lived in. He was great on that run with being able to constantly surprise me just as a reader. I thought these were all traits that would be useful in the world of Tony Stark.

David's work I've loved since the FANTASTIC FOUR SEASON ONE that he did. I think he's got a great super-slick, super-clean style. He's a terrific storyteller, does terrific page layouts and character composition. You can really see it in the design of the new Iron Man armor."

There was talk on the new Iron Man armor. It's sleek but you can immediately recognize it's Iron Man. The suit can create different things, including a sword of sorts. They wanted the armor to be new and fresh. It can also transform into whatever situation they require at the time. There was also the idea about technology getting smaller, slimmer, and lighter over time. Marquez didn't want it to be too busy with too much detail. As the series progresses, there will opportunities for the armor to do different things. Artist will be able to be creative with the design.

Bendis brought up how we've seen in many recent runs, including the movies, where Tony has called up all the different armors. But with the advancement of technology, why not have an armor that can do it all. Bendis also claimed it will still have the roller skates.

No Caption Provided

At a recent Marvel retreat, they went through all the characters and asked, besides the fact that Marvel owns the characters, why do they publish them? What are they about? They want to break the characters down to who and what they are. Tony is a boy with a toy. He's like a teen with his hot rod.

With the story, one of the things they'll look at is from Kieron Gillen's run where it was revealed that Tony was adopted. The book is sort of a new start and beginning for Tony. They'll delve into the mystery of who are his birth parents? Adoption is a big part of Brian’s non-comic life. He always shied away from the idea but loves what Gillen set up. There’s a new armor but it’s almost like there’s a new man as well. What made him who he is?

There will be a "major Marvel player" on the last page that will be a "whopper and a doosey." It will mark a dramatic change in the Marvel Universe. We'll also see Tony try to grow up and have an actual relationship. He may have met his match and a women, for him, worth growing up for. There will also be a new surprising supporting cast member who is a major Marvel character who hasn't been in Tony's life before.

No Caption Provided

Press Questions

QUESTION: With the adoption angle, is Arno Stark going to be in the book?

BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS: Yes. There's some things I'm just going to be yes or no or coy about. Not only do I not want to spoil SECRET WARS, there's other things in other books and tie ins that I don't want to either.

QUESTION: What about Tony's new supporting cast?

BENDIS: Again, I gotta be a little cool here because of SECRET WARS and other things. As I said before, there'll be one new member of the team that's someone you've seen in other books but not in Tony's book. The new A.I. of the armor is quite sassy. Tony kind of developed it to challenge him intellectually and morally. Their conversations will be a lot of fun. There are other elements that'll be coming in. By the end of issue #2, you'll see a lot of the pieces have come together and go, "Wow, look at all this new shit for Tony to do."

QUESTION: Tom Taylor just wrapped up SUPERIOR IRON MAN. How directly does that series feed into this one in terms of his personality? How much are you building from that?

BENDIS: I've been on top of this since he started SUPERIOR. Everything from there will be touched upon. The choices being made in our book are because of things that have happened in there. That's kind of all I can say at the moment. Nothing that has gone on in Tony's life in continuity will be ignored or pushed aside. This is a brand new chapter in Tony's life but it's because he's gotten to a place where he needs a new chapter.

QUESTION: Will we see in your book or elsewhere the resolution of Future Tony you set up in AVENGERS? Is that something we'll see soon or is that still to come?

BENDIS: Still to come but there's other things that I've danced around in other books. Like I've shown a future where Tony is the Sorcerer Supreme. All that is coming. There's a lot of interesting paths for Tony to go down.

QUESTION: How long will the first arc be?

BENDIS: Not unlike my work on SPIDER-MAN or DAREDEVIL, I think you're going to look at a big multi-year storyline that is easily digestible in chapters. As one drama brings itself to conclusion, I like that another one pops up. This is the genius of Stan Lee. The story keeps going. Tony has so many balls in the air so even if he knocks down one villain, there's another one coming.

QUESTION: Brian, you're known for doing the occasional crossovers, do you have any plans to cross this over into other books?

BENDIS: Not at the moment but there's a lot we're working on. One of the reasons I wanted Tom shepherding this along is because Tony is so involved in so many aspects of the Marvel Universe, the least of which are the Avengers, I just wanted to be sure you felt all of that going on in the book itself. One of the reasons I'm excited about doing Tony's book is because every time I've written Tony, it's been part of a big event or he's been part of a big team. I've had some personally great moments with the character, like CIVIL WAR: CONFESSION, the idea here is to really to get under Tony's skin and examine Tony. You will feel his place in the Marvel Universe but I want these storylines to stand on their own. I think that's what fans of Tony want in this book. It's what I want.

No Caption Provided

QUESTION: Before SECRET WARS, we saw Tony locked in combat with Steve Rogers. Are we going to see any of that played with in the new book?

BENDIS: Yes. I like their relationship. I think they bring out the best in each other and sometimes challenge each other in the way others do not. I think with Steve's status quo being what it is, their relationship has new layers to discover.

QUESTION: Any teases for the villains we'll see.

BENDIS: We'll have some brand new technological villains, some people who have created tech way beyond what Tony has. We also have some...organic or mystical types of villains. It'll be something harder for technology to deal with. With futurists, there's always the fight with how they think the world should be. Basically, Tony needs his Magneto. Someone who doesn't believe in things differently, they just have a different way to go about it. All these ideas are very exciting for me.

QUESTION: If this is your Iron Man 4, does that mean you guys might be introducing the Marvel Comics version of Trevor Slattery?

BENDIS: [laughs] Yes.QUESTION: Where did the idea come to bring back the idea of including INVINCIBLE in the title?

BENDIS: That was all Tom.

BREVOORT: I'm an old guy, I'm a 70s guy. To me, that was always the book. All through that era, there was that one line. It's what I think of, at my core. He's Iron Man. At the same time, one of the things I asked for when we were designing the suit was that we go back to its core form with red and gold. Having been away from it for a while, all of a sudden it looks new and exciting. To me, it's just as much a part of the book as AMAZING is to Spider-Man or INCREDIBLE is to Hulk. So we're going back to INVINCIBLE IRON MAN.

BENDIS: I didn't tell Tom this but when I wrote the first issue, I just wrote "Iron Man" on the script. By the second issue, I knew it was going to be "Invincible Iron Man" and I changed it. And it did, it looked good.

QUESTION: Now that the Ultimate Universe is no more, are we going to see the police detectives that look suspiciously like Brian Michael Bendis and David Marquez in INVINCIBLE IRON MAN?

BENDIS: Honestly we thought it was cute. We made a huge mistake. We found out Disney now owns us, lock, stock, and barrel. Detectives Marquez and Bendis will be showing up in episodes of Jessie and Phineas and Ferb...it's, you know. And in Star Wars! I found out we'll be in Episode VIII.

Also, since we announced it at the convention last weekend, a lot of people have been guessing who the biological parents of Tony are. I'm very interested in all of them. As I said at the convention, it is Thomas and Martha Wayne. Don't let the fact that I'm spoiling it here take away from any enjoyment you have with the book.

INVINCIBLE IRON MAN will be on sale in October. Stay tuned for more announcements later this month and heading into San Diego.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BR_Havoc

Did anyone actually like Gillen's run? The issues I read where not very good and I'm kind of confused as to why they did not want to just start fresh.

Marvel loves to skip over things Ant-Man for instance has not referenced the FF or Young Avengers nothing and both of those stories where liked.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@br_havoc said:

Did anyone actually like Gillen's run? The issues I read where not very good and I'm kind of confused as to why they did not want to just start fresh.

Marvel loves to skip over things Ant-Man for instance has not referenced the FF or Young Avengers nothing and both of those stories where liked.

Nope, have nit met one person who liked it, or read any favorable reviews

Yeah it feels like the Scott who's in Ant-Man just appeared out of nowhere (or he's O'Grady pretending to be Scott)

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@br_havoc said:

Yeah it feels like the Scott who's in Ant-Man just appeared out of nowhere (or he's O'Grady pretending to be Scott)

I know right, It's the only thing I dislike about Ant-Man he just seemed to show up Cassie seems to have no powers or has never been in the Young Avengers and what the hell happened to Darla? She was dating Scott even in the issue of Avengers World when Cassie came back to life.

In all honesty I think of it more as Boomerang pretending to be Scott.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Mark_Stephen

I wonder how evil Bendis will write Tony. He's twisted characters before, but Tony is so twisted now there's no real way Bendis can destroy him further.

Hiddenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hiddenlight

I'm hyped for that armour and for Secret Wars to end. It's a nightmare, but a delightful nightmare and I really want to know what will happen next.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7 dernman  Online

Man I was hoping this "reboot" whatever they call it would erase some of the stupid stuff that's been happening like Tony not being the biological son.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: At this point we can't be sure that he's not Steve's long lost son by the daughter of the Red Skull.

Tony_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Iron Man has been in desperate need of a new team since the Gillen run. It was so boring and Greg Land is just terrible.

Superior Iron Man was fun but we only got 9 issues out of it in 8 months.

Koop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm actually really looking forward to this book. Everything I've heard so far has been making me more excited for it.

JewishDork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

It will be hard to beat Fraction's run on Invincible Iron Man. That run was a whole new level for Iron Man that Kieron Gillen did not even come close to. Glad that Bendis is staying with his Ultimate Spider-Man artist. Should be a fun book.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@koop said:

I'm actually really looking forward to this book. Everything I've heard so far has been making me more excited for it.

Avatar image for harmanswoodscpj
    harmanswoodscpj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ostyo: except when he writes cosmic stories lol

mdamasco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mdamasco
    ShadowLife248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Why does his lower body look so flat? Is an armour, not a cardboard. Wish they added more lines around leg and chest. It's David choice not to be so detail, then his lines and colorist have to make sure it looks good. Otherwise, looking forward to the idea his new suit can transform into any weapon or tool needed for the situation.

Avatar image for oldschoolavangers
    OldSchoolAvangers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hank Pym will be the father of Tony Stark.

Wait and see.

GokaiFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds good to me BMB. I just don't understand how any suit, even a transformers suit, could be superior to the Endo-Sym armor. Plus the glowing blue-red lighting on silver just looks too sexy. I think they're f**king up by replace that suit. Seriously, Endo-sym is to Tony Stark as the Black suit is to Peter Parker. Bada$$.

MachoMustachio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't like it at first but, I really starting to like the new armor design more and more. It's also kinda cool that their making the armor basically just like the Blue Beetle scarab (or like the Bleeding Edge armor I guess). I am just worried to see what the All New All Different version of Hulk (although if its a hulked out Amadeus Cho like I suspect then I am okay with that, as long as its temporary) and what presence if any the X-Men will have (the presence of the Wolverines means nothing, just Wolverine)

Dalwih

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah yeah Invincible Iron man that's all cool but....

I want to know more about Spider-Man. >.> You can try to change who your poster boy is but we all know who it will always be.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I love Tony's new armor, looks so freakin' awesome!

MyNameIsWill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koop said:

NickInACage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@br_havoc said:

I actually liked it a lot, up until the point that Malekith showed up

XavierMarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@br_havoc: I liked some aspects of Gillen's run such as Iron metropolis, I even liked Arno and think he'd make an excellent villain for Tony. Like Bendis mentioned Tony needs a Magneto and I could see Arno in that role. One thing that annoyed me was the whole Tony is adopted thing. It makes no sense with how similar Tony is to Howard not only in thinking but appearance. A secret brother ok being adopted bad idea.

yasbinfirnas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright. Only because I dig the new art by Marquez will I give Invincible Iron Man a shot. Honestly, the past few years haven't been good for shell head. The Marvel Now run was mediocre, and superior Iron man was rubbish. He was rubbish in Axis and he was rubbish after.

bdelve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New slim suit - with a sword. Hmm...where have I seen this suit before? Oh yeah...

No Caption Provided

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The more they distance themselves from the god-awful Superior Iron Man the better honestly. God that was a disaster. And I am still wondering how they will tie things together with previous universe is destroyed and yet they say they will touch upon things that happened from those books even though the character might not be the same !. I mean unless Doom hits the Reset button on Battleworld...

I think these teasers makes me even more confused on how they will handle the end of Secret Wars...

GokaiFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By GokaiFire

Superior Iron man is the best Iron Man series in 20 years.

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why does his lower body look so flat? Is an armour, not a cardboard.

Why does the whole thing look flat? I'm so not a fan of whatever kind of art Marvel puts out these days...

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@shadowlife248 said:

Why does the whole thing look flat? I'm so not a fan of whatever kind of art Marvel puts out these days...

It looks flat because it's being drawn from straight 90 degree angles for reference. Look at the first image of the article and it's obviously normal proportions.

Dedpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So anime version of the Modular Armor, or Modular Armor 2.0

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gokaifire: Everyone loves Tony as evil, why don't they just make him a permanent villain?

ShadowLife248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drellassassin:

@bl00dwerk said:
    @shadowlife248 said:

It looks flat because it's being drawn from straight 90 degree angles for reference. Look at the first image of the article and it's obviously normal proportions.

Woah there, Marvel has a LOT of great artist okay.

GokaiFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GokaiFire

@mark_stephen: Well I don't think he is evil. Just morally grey.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Mark_Stephen

@gokaifire: As a long time Iron Man fan I've tried to look at it that way but I just can't. Once I realized and faced up to the fact that there was nothing that Norman Osborn did as head of HAMMER that Tony didn't do first as head of SHIELD (with the exception of tricking She-Hulk into bed and then rendering her powerless, dumping her in New Jersey, why she ever spoke to him again is in my opinion evidence of the fact that guys write comics for guys, no woman I've ever shown the issues too has evidenced anything but disgust for him and disappointment in her) I had to accept that the hero I knew of old was now only a part time hero, if that. They might write him as a hero for a few issues or maybe even a year, but in my opinion Tony is the marvel ideal: A man who can do what he wants to who he wants and get away with it.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The Tony Stark adoptions story was complete garbage. Just keep his parents as Howard and Maria Stark.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This should actually be pretty good. It seems like they are going to make Iron Man similar to bleeding-edge in that he can "tranform" his armor into whatever he needs it to be. I'm also more confident now that Brevoort is working with Bendis because he did an amazing job in "Iron Man: Extremis."

Should be interesting for sure.

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that ironman looks gay.... seems like theyre prepping the public for tony's coming out of the closet revelation

exactly i hope marvel completely fails just because i know marvel is gonna make the character a *********************

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Cream_God

Lets see what PR stunt they pull with this run

Degalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Degalon

@bdelve said:

New slim suit - with a sword. Hmm...where have I seen this suit before? Oh yeah...

No Caption Provided

I was thinking the same exact thing. "So Tony is Gray Fox now?"

They literally just copypasted the costume from Metal Gear and painted it in Iron Man colors.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cgoodness: my money is on transgendered. He looks male but is a lesbian female on the inside.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.