Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11204 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

Is Tony Stark Buff?

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Captain13

Is he, since he doesn't have to be?

G'bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By G'bandit

I don't think so. Hes a bit in shape but not buff

It is a bit strange since he drinks and is a spoiled brat but in the comic world you can eat, drink and be a spoiled brat without gaining a pound.

ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By ShirEPanjshir

He is fairly muscular but nothing like Batman etc. ( kind of also depends on who's drawing him :) but Tony isn't extremely muscular like Batman, Captain America, etc. )
    And as said; he doesn't have to be, especially now with the Extremis which enhances his entire body, thus his strength too.

Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By Chaos Burn

He isn't a buff guy, but he is physically fit, I think Cpt. America gave him some h2h combat lessons too

Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Precise

Not for superhero standards no. He's muscled though.

No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By 123422

Not exactly buff, just physically fit (not like he needs too much muscle anyways)

The Mango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By The Mango
    @G'bandit said:
    " I don't think so. Hes a bit in shape but not buff  It is a bit strange since he drinks and is a spoiled brat but in the comic world you can eat, drink and be a spoiled brat without gaining a pound. "
    He hasn't drank in like 5 years
    Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Icon

He would have to be in good shape, just like any pilot, as he has to withstand serious g-forces as he flies. Also, he does training for combat. He just isn't a body-builder or anything like that. 

Ston3face

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Ston3face

no, he's all messed up.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By ComicStooge
    @G'bandit:
    Tony has had a drink in years...
    EpitomeofCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EpitomeofCool
    @Chaos Burn said:
    " He isn't a buff guy, but he is physically fit, I think Cpt. America gave him some h2h combat lessons too "
    good point.
    Antiochus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Antiochus
    @G'bandit: 

Oh come on.  Tony Stark did not drink a drop of alcohol in several years!  Its been decades since Demon in a Bottle, can we please move on people?
    G'bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By G'bandit
    @Antiochus:  Yeah next I'll have to get over him betraying everyone in Civil war right? NO!
    Antiochus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Antiochus
    @G'bandit: 

Not really the same issue now is it?   There is already plenty of threads about the value of the pro-reg position during the Civil War, so Im not going to go over that again in this thread.   I will simply sum it up by stating that I still don't see why Tony Stark is the only character held responsible over this, especially when about half of the superhero community agreed with him and actively supported him at one point or another.

But the fact to the matter is that the generalisation of Tony Stark as a drunk hedonist is getting old.  The main version of this character got over this problem during the late 70s and early 80s.  This is 2010, and to still see alcoholism as being one of the main caracteristics of this character is quite unfair.  Actually, the last time alcoholism was an issue for Stark, it was when people in his entourage had the problem (Ms.Marvel) and he helped them getting rid of it. 

He is in shape, and for good reasons.  He is physically active, learned to fight from the best and has since been enhanced by the extremis system .
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#15  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Tony was never out of shape...not even when he was an alcoholic.

Antiochus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Antiochus

Yeah, but even then he happened to be a superhero who was phisically active.  This never really changed... 

Before that, well he was a young man who stayed in shape...  

Im not sure there is much to this.  Im just saying that the whole  ''Tony Stark is a drunk" thing has been old for decades now...

G'bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By G'bandit
    @Antiochus:
    He was the one behind it all! He manipulated the system and the rest thinking it was the right thing they fallowed.  

There were others as well but he was the big stone holding the pieces. 

Lead by example:A story.

Spider-man, Spider-man! I like to Swing around cause Im spider-man-
     Spider-man, Spider-man! I like to Swing around cause Im spider-man-

Suddenly

Oh, hey Spidey! Listen I need a tool to help me convince everyone registering is the way to go! Can you take off yor mask for me?
    Oh, hey Spidey! Listen I need a tool to help me convince everyone registering is the way to go! Can you take off yor mask for me?

Ok, Tony, buddy old pal, I'll take off my mask! You're the best! I trust you :D
     Ok, Tony, buddy old pal, I'll take off my mask! You're the best! I trust you :D

For helping me Spidey you'll get a new suit and I'll take care of aunt May and that cupcake of a-- I mean your wife :D
     For helping me Spidey you'll get a new suit and I'll take care of aunt May and that cupcake of a-- I mean your wife :D

Wow, thanks! I feel a lot better! I'll tell everyone how cool of a guy you are! Is not like you'll betray me and leave me nearly dead because the suit is programmed to shut down at you command or anything. You're a good friend :)
     Wow, thanks! I feel a lot better! I'll tell everyone how cool of a guy you are! Is not like you'll betray me and leave me nearly dead because the suit is programmed to shut down at you command or anything. You're a good friend :)

Then what happened?

Anyone saw the license plate of that beating they gave me?
     Anyone saw the license plate of that beating they gave me?
    Antiochus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Antiochus
    @G'bandit: 

Yeah, that’s a massive oversimplification of everything.  Stark's role in the implementation of the SHRA is overestimated.  The guy fought it tooth and nail in courts while others stayed on the sidelines, heck; he even hired criminals to prove a point in front of the Congress.  The bill was not his invention, he was its main legal opponent.  He just saw (and rightfully so) that there are legal ways to fight a bill.  It was a rational that was picked up by She-Hulk among others.  Saying that its all his fault is ridiculous, especially when you consider that the bill was massively popular among the population.

As for Spidey, you just avoid mentioning that he’s the one who left Tony and then act surprised when Stark decided to stop someone from obtaining his tech to use against him.  Big surprise considering that fighting unwanted appropriation of his designs is one of Stark's main defining features since... well ever!   

Not to mention that the underhanded tactics of that conflict where not exclusive to Stark.  Just think of the two major fights of the war, during which, on both occasions, Cap started beating on Stark in a suit that was just as deactivated as Spidey's suit (heck, he was trying to kill Iron Man and was only stopped by an angry populace who was siding with the eeeeevil Tony Stark).  But no one will ever bash on Cap over this since he can do pretty much anything he feels like and he will be raised as a paragon of morality.   What about Spidey, who was so obsessed with winning that he was actually baffled when he saw the damage his little rebellion had caused at the end of the war?

Iron Man is a practical scapegoat.  Right now, he is the only person who is still held accountable over the Civil War.  Everyone else either gets a pardon because people assume they were mischaracterized or people simply forget their entire participation because they were not technically as high ranked as Iron Man was.    Now that its over and buried, stop using that corpse on every single debate on Shellhead.   The guy has huge issues, but to see him as Satan and to state that he can't possibly be in good shape because of those issues (which is no longuer true since the 80s) is getting really old.
    Tem Borjigin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Tem Borjigin

During the Bob and Dave run, Stark was extremely pumped. We're talking Conan or bigger. And no, I'm not exxagerating, take a look at some of the art when Tony would do things like jogging topless during the Bob and Dave run. He was frikken HUGE! Really musclebound.

ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20  Edited By ShirEPanjshir
    @Antiochus said:
    " @G'bandit:     Yeah, that’s a massive oversimplification of everything.  Stark's role in the implementation of the SHRA is overestimated.  The guy fought it tooth and nail in courts while others stayed on the sidelines, heck; he even hired criminals to prove a point in front of the Congress.  The bill was not his invention, he was its main legal opponent.  He just saw (and rightfully so) that there are legal ways to fight a bill.  It was a rational that was picked up by She-Hulk among others.  Saying that its all his fault is ridiculous, especially when you consider that the bill was massively popular among the population.  As for Spidey, you just avoid mentioning that he’s the one who left Tony and then act surprised when Stark decided to stop someone from obtaining his tech to use against him.  Big surprise considering that fighting unwanted appropriation of his designs is one of Stark's main defining features since... well ever!      Not to mention that the underhanded tactics of that conflict where not exclusive to Stark.  Just think of the two major fights of the war, during which, on both occasions, Cap started beating on Stark in a suit that was just as deactivated as Spidey's suit (heck, he was trying to kill Iron Man and was only stopped by an angry populace who was siding with the eeeeevil Tony Stark).  But no one will ever bash on Cap over this since he can do pretty much anything he feels like and he will be raised as a paragon of morality.   What about Spidey, who was so obsessed with winning that he was actually baffled when he saw the damage his little rebellion had caused at the end of the war?   Iron Man is a practical scapegoat.  Right now, he is the only person who is still held accountable over the Civil War.  Everyone else either gets a pardon because people assume they were mischaracterized or people simply forget their entire participation because they were not technically as high ranked as Iron Man was.    Now that its over and buried, stop using that corpse on every single debate on Shellhead.   The guy has huge issues, but to see him as Satan and to state that he can't possibly be in good shape because of those issues (which is no longuer true since the 80s) is getting really old. "
    QFT. I too, am getting pretty tired of people still blaming Stark for the entire Civil War and for his drinking problems.
    Leegar88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Leegar88
    @ShirEPanjshir:  I second that, good post antiochus.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Mercy_

Fix

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

(Fix)

Susanoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Susanoo
    @Antiochus said:
    "@G'bandit:     Yeah, that’s a massive oversimplification of everything.  Stark's role in the implementation of the SHRA is overestimated.  The guy fought it tooth and nail in courts while others stayed on the sidelines, heck; he even hired criminals to prove a point in front of the Congress.  The bill was not his invention, he was its main legal opponent.  He just saw (and rightfully so) that there are legal ways to fight a bill.  It was a rational that was picked up by She-Hulk among others.  Saying that its all his fault is ridiculous, especially when you consider that the bill was massively popular among the population.  As for Spidey, you just avoid mentioning that he’s the one who left Tony and then act surprised when Stark decided to stop someone from obtaining his tech to use against him.  Big surprise considering that fighting unwanted appropriation of his designs is one of Stark's main defining features since... well ever!     Not to mention that the underhanded tactics of that conflict where not exclusive to Stark.  Just think of the two major fights of the war, during which, on both occasions, Cap started beating on Stark in a suit that was just as deactivated as Spidey's suit (heck, he was trying to kill Iron Man and was only stopped by an angry populace who was siding with the eeeeevil Tony Stark).  But no one will ever bash on Cap over this since he can do pretty much anything he feels like and he will be raised as a paragon of morality.   What about Spidey, who was so obsessed with winning that he was actually baffled when he saw the damage his little rebellion had caused at the end of the war?  Iron Man is a practical scapegoat.  Right now, he is the only person who is still held accountable over the Civil War.  Everyone else either gets a pardon because people assume they were mischaracterized or people simply forget their entire participation because they were not technically as high ranked as Iron Man was.    Now that its over and buried, stop using that corpse on every single debate on Shellhead.   The guy has huge issues, but to see him as Satan and to state that he can't possibly be in good shape because of those issues (which is no longuer true since the 80s) is getting really old. "

Very nice post... but it's still in his fault that he didn't join Caps side.
    batman_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By batman_is_god

Iron Man and Green Lantern 

2 superheroes that have no reason to have bowflex bodies, but do anyway.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By daredevil21134
    @batman_is_god said:
    "Iron Man and Green Lantern  2 superheroes that have no reason to have bowflex bodies, but do anyway. "

@batman_is_god:
    lol
    The_Warlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By The_Warlord

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.