Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11210 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

Iron Man 3 Gets a Release Date

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here
      Coming spring 2013!
     Coming spring 2013!

Yesterday, we learned that Disney would finally be keeping it all in the magic kingdom, so to speak, by distributing Marvel movies domestically from here on out. Now, Slash Film's got the first release date from this new arrangement - -  May 3, 2013 for IRON MAN 3. While there have been talks about Tony Stark ridin’ solo again after this team effort in AVENGERS, this is the first official statement to confirm so. To review, that means 2011’s for CAP & THOR and 2012’s for THE AVENGERS (and the Maya apocalypse) while 2013 looks to be all for shellhead.

Oddly enough, I remember hearing some talk a while back that Marvel didn’t make the first IRON MAN with the idea that it’d become a series of its own. It was just intended to help set up the eventual AVENGERS movie. When it proved to be such surprise hit, they realized there was enough demand to make it a series of its own.

I’m curious how a third solo movie’s going to fit in the “latticework” of the AVENGERS’ greater storyline. Basically, Earth’s Mightiest assemble to take on a greater threat, than Tony goes off, does his own thing and comes back for more a couple years later? I suppose it shouldn’t be hard to grasp, at all - - this is a weekly occurrence in the comics. Tony basically fights Kang in the future during the work week, then goes home to brawl with Detroit Steel and the Hammer Girls on the weekends.

What could it be about, though? I’d say it’s one word, three syllables...   

MAN-DA-RIN.    

Favreau’s been saying from the beginning that he wanted to that evil Chinese wizard to bedevil shellhead. He figures audiences will be able to accept magic rings by movie #3 the same way they could buy Emperor Palpatine shooting lightining in RETURN OF THE JEDI.  And he has been dropping plenty of 10 Rings hints throughout the series, hasn't he? 

Also, anybody hoping for a version of “Demon in a Bottle” shouldn’t hold their breath. The drunk partying in IM2 is more-than-likely all we’re going to get for that.

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of   HYBRID BASTARDS!  &   UNIMAGINABLE . Order them on Amazon   here   &     here .

Comicgirl93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Comicgirl93

I am so lucky to be the first one to comment on this! WOW! This will be sooo exciting!! I can't wait for The Avengers movie, the Captain America movie and the Thor Movie and most of all Iron Man 3! I think it will be a big hit and really good! Iron Man 2 was good so I believe Iron Man 3 will be just as good as well! This will be worth waiting for! I'll be excited to go and see it when it comes out to theaters!! :D

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cattlebattle

There's no way It could be a bad guy stealing his tech and building his own suit to combat Iron Man..................oh wait. 
    Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Methos

hmmm, interesting... 

Well, from what they've done with Iron Man and IM2, i've got faith they'll pull this one off as well 

M

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Magian  Online

A bit long but I understand. Now I have time to see the second movie.

Avatar image for superagentdeadpool
    SuperAgentDeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2013?! But the world is ending in 2012!
    Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Moomin123

I was hoping Mandarin would be the villain in Iron Man 2, but I guess him being in Iron Man 3 will make a bigger payoff. I hope they get Chow Yun Fat to play him.
    Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jordanstine

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Gambit1024

Woo!!! Bring on the Mandarin please ^_^

mickoreo_LZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mickoreo_LZ

Hopefully they do Iron Man 3 better than they did Iron Man 2. It was kinda disappointing IMO. Whiplash got all of 25 minutes of screen time and the "big" final battle lasted 10 seconds. Lame
    Hellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hellos
    @mickoreo_LZ said:

"Hopefully they do Iron Man 3 better than they did Iron Man 2. It was kinda disappointing IMO. Whiplash got all of 25 minutes of screen time and the "big" final battle lasted 10 seconds. Lame "

It was much longer than 10 seconds.
    EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EnSabahNurX

Well the mandarin concept from the iron man armored adventures could work, the rings arent magic but ancient tech hidden amongst the ancient civilizations, i just don't think magic will make sense with the last two movies. Besides i rather see a more human less pointy elf eared mandarin

ckal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ckal
    The Hobgoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13  Edited By The Hobgoblin

If Iron Man can co-exist in the same universe as the mythological Thor, then I don't see why the Mandarin can't have magical rings; he shouldn't need re-imagined. Science vs. Magic would be a perfect theme for Iron Man 3.

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jordanstine
    @ckal said:

"Disney just said they want the Marvel rights back from Fox and Sony.
    Here's the article.  

"

Here's that article: 

Disney want the rights back to Fantastic Four, X-Men, Daredevil and Spider-Man but it might not be that easy despite the fact that their lawyers are apparently looking through their agreements for some sort of loophole.

There are four Marvel franchises that Disney does not control and word is they want them back. Three are controlled by 20th Century Fox and one by Sony.

Insiders are telling IESB Disney would love to get Fantastic Four back under their control and that this series, above all, fits the Disney mold the best being the first superhero family.

While Daredevil isn't considered a first tier character, the Mouse House wants Matt Murdock and his alter ego Daredevil back under the control of Marvel Entertainment.

Disney will never and I mean never, ever, not in a 100 years, get this property back under the control of Marvel Entertainment, just not going to happen. Fox owns all of these properties for perpetuity, in other words, for-ev-ver....for-ev-ver...

Word on the street is Fox has made it very clear that they will not let go of any of the properties under their control for any live action medium.

We've also been told that if it ever came to the point where they were going to lose any property they own because of failing to have a movie in production, they would simply produce a low budget, straight-to-DVD feature and stick it in any theater to fulfill their theatrical release clause.

So what about Sony's Spider-Man franchise? Same thing as the Fox deal, the contracts protect the studio 100% but they do have to continue to make movies with the Marvel characters on a regular basis. Spider-Man is not going anywhere, that also includes Venom.

Bottom line, the Sony and Fox contracts are rock solid. They will both keep their respective properties under their control. But you can be sure because they have plenty of money to spend, Disney will still have those Mickey Mouse lawyers looking for a loop hole....and to that I say, good luck!

As I'm sure you'll agree, it's a real pity that Fox and Sony have such a tight grip on these characters especially as the former are well known for making awful movies based on the Marvel superheroes they hold the rights to. I'd love to see Spider-Man teaming up with Daredevil or the Fantastic Four in a shared universe and find it hard to imagine just how amazing it would be to see characters like them given the big screen treatment they deserve from Marvel Studios! Be sure to share your thoughts on this in the usual place!    
    leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15  Edited By leokearon

I would love a version of Armour Wars, which was brought up briefly in Iron Man 2
    Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Decept-O

Guess I'm in the minority when I say I really don't like Mandarin and don't want him as a villain in IM3.  Oh, well.
    Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

well I am going to have to put this date on my calender

Red Rum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Red Rum

I wonder how Tony's next adventure will fare, seeing as he now knows that magic exists after working with Thor in the Avengers.

Mumbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mumbles

sweet

Sobe Cin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sobe Cin

can he fight a non-tech villain please. I'd like to see the Donny Gill Blizzard on the big screen. Gill could work for Manderin or Hammer or whatever. And where were the ten rings in Iron Man 2- that seemed to fade into obscurity with the second movie.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By InnerVenom123

Fing Fang Foom and Mandarin.

Avatar image for journey_into_chaos
    Journey Into Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@SuperAgentDeadpool:  sure it is... 

As for the movie i guess this is good news..
    Ry Fryy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Ry Fryy

"(and the Maya apocalypse)"

Boooo.. :P

warcorpse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By warcorpse

It could be western technology vs eastern magic

Avatar image for the_nightwalker
    the_nightwalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By the_nightwalker
    @Hellos said:
    " @mickoreo_LZ said:

"Hopefully they do Iron Man 3 better than they did Iron Man 2. It was kinda disappointing IMO. Whiplash got all of 25 minutes of screen time and the "big" final battle lasted 10 seconds. Lame "

It was much longer than 10 seconds. "

and yet it still sucked just as much if not more than Helios said
    Pizawle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By Pizawle

Please be better than 2. 

Invincible Iron-Man Annual #1 portrayed Mandarin so well. It made me truly hate a fictional character. They should definitely use that as a guide.

Hellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hellos
    @the_nightwalker said:
    "and yet it still sucked just as much if not more than Helios said "

If you thought the final fight in the film that had Iron Man and Warmachine tearing apart the drones sucked I am somewhat baffled.
    Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Video_Martian

They need to use the Mandarin for Iron Man 3, DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheMess1428

How come I don't remember anything about 10 rings in the first two movies?

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By They Killed Cap!

If they did mandarin right... it would be amazing.
    Meteorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#31  Edited By Meteorite

Bout time Mandarin appeared

Avatar image for andrea_mendoza1997
    andrea_mendoza1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Cant wait!!!! the actor in movie 1 & 2 really looks like the tony stark in the animated series and marvel comics  !!

G Bird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By G Bird

Please no Mandarin!

Tem Borjigin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#34  Edited By Tem Borjigin
    @Tom Pinchuk said:
    "
      Coming spring 2013!
     Coming spring 2013!

MAN-DA-RIN.    

Favreau’s been saying from the beginning that he wanted to that evil Chinese wizard to bedevil shellhead."

The Mandarin is NOT A WIZARD! The Mandarin is a martial arts grandmaster and a mad scientist.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.