Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11201 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

IRON MAN 2 TV Spot

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here

She's from Rush-ah, y'all.
     She's from Rush-ah, y'all.

If you decided, so flippantly, to blow off watching the Kids Choice Award that Kevin James hosted Sunday, you missed a new IRON MAN 2 spot that’s got some things many fans have been itching to see. In addition to more footage of War Machine in action and Tony Stark chilling in a giant doughnut, this spot’s got Scarlett Johannson speaking for the first time as Black Widow. And, if my ear serves me true, she doesn’t have a Russian accent! 

* GASP * 

The prez of Daredevil's fan club, everyone.
     The prez of Daredevil's fan club, everyone.

You know, as we’ve been leading up to this, I’ve thought it would be funny if Marvel ended up approaching the accent the same way the Russian’s accent was approached in the Thomas Jane PUNISHER. See, “Big Daddy Cool” Kevin Nash isn’t a trained actor. I’ll always know and love him as Diesel, but something tells me the guy wasn’t about to take classes to learn how to talk like comrade outta St. Petersburg. So that left the filmmakers with a dilemma, right? Do you try to make Nash speak with a Russian accent? Do you make a character called “The Russian” speak like a good ol’ boy from the U S of A? What do you do?

In that case, they just didn’t let the man talk. Obviously, that approach would be HORRIBLE for the Black Widow here, but the prospect tickles me, never-the-less. Imagine all the hype, all the hoopla, and she doesn't say a word.

Thank you for your tag-team assistance.
     Thank you for your tag-team assistance.

Considering that this was dropped at an award show, I was fooled for a second - - just an itty bitty second - - into thinking that the whole thing started with Shellhead dropping down onto the Kids Choice stage and presenting it himself. That would make the audiences go nuts, wouldn’t it? Again, I can’t help but further the connections to pro-wrestling and recall that one WCW event where ROBOCOP stomped up to the ring and gave Sting some illegal assistance. What do you think? Would that work on a May episode of Raw? Just have War Machine pop out from under the ring to give the Undertaker a steel chair shot?

Alright, enough of my blather. Enjoy the TV spot…  

== TEASER ==

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia.   Watch out for the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover collection this March - - available for pre-order now on Amazon.com.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By sora_thekey

I am kind of dissapointed with the accent, but I mean a spy must know how to change her accent for spy-ness activities... so it makes sense!     
    Knox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Knox

Does she have a russian accent? because her sentence was too short to hear it properly

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc7df6492da
    deactivated-5ffc7df6492da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 2

Ha she already said more lines then Ryan Reynolds did in Wolverine

SUPER-MAN 23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 789

#4  Edited By SUPER-MAN 23

Why can't Scarlet Johannson say things in Russian? Isn't that why they are called actors.

Blindside002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Blindside002

I heard no accent....and that makes me very disappointed...if she doesn't have one I'm afraid that this movie will have already taken a hit on my part. RDJ though I'm certain will do an amazing job so I'm not worried about that, but to have such a flaw with Black Widow isn't something people can just look over.
    E.I.S.A.M.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By E.I.S.A.M.

BOOOOO! No accent! Lazy Acting!

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Bruce Vain

It sounded like she had a liiiiittle of an accent at the end of the sentence , but it didn't sound like a great Russian accent. 

I tell what really disappointed me was when Colossus in the X-Men films didn'a have an accent at all. They got the perfect guy for Pieter , but when he didn't have that accent it bummed me out. It's not like it's a hard accent to pull off either. Just like Pyro not having an Aussie accent in the films .Storm had in accent in the first one , but yet then loses it in the next ones ?? Lol - Grant it it sounded like crap , but still lol
    robokungfu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By robokungfu

Either she doesn't need it or this is all an elaborate and sexy rouse by Scarlett.  In any case is this a reason for us nerds to get our feathers ruffled?   
    I did wish Kevin Nash got to say "The Russian will do the killing and you do the driving then we go for milkshakes, yes?"

MemnochZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MemnochZERO

I really don't see the big deal about Black Widow NOT sounding like she's just landed in America with a heavy accent. More than half the time accents on film turn out like horrible impressions anyway.
    robokungfu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By robokungfu
    @MemnochZERO said:
    "
    I really don't see the big deal about Black Widow NOT sounding like she's just landed in America with a heavy accent. More than half the time accents on film turn out like horrible impressions anyway. "
    Indeed!  It would probably be just a "Moose and Squirrel!" accent anyhow that no one could take seriously.  She makes up for any and all accent issues for me with that swinging DDT she did in the trailer.  
    Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jordanstine

BW:
    BW: "Yello Miztah Stahk! I mean... Hello Mr. Stark!" TS: "Hold on! You said you're an American country girl named Daisy Jo! Did I just hear a Russian accent!? BW: "Of course not! I really am an old fashion Amerian country girl! I'm not like some kind of Russian Spy or anything." TS: "Well, your American accent sounds normal... but I don't know if you're really American..." BW: "Well uh... why don't you just say bye to yo peeps, take me back to yo crib, hit me up, and I'll give you some bootylicious!" TS: "Fo'sho, fo'sho!"

Before I reserve judgement...  

1) Maybe Black Widow's "Americanized" accent is part of an undercover rouse to get Mr. Stark fooled thinking she's just a regular home-girl and not part of a Russian spy-a-majig.  You never know.  The whole story isn't told on just one scene.

2) What is Black Widow's back story in this movie? I.e. was she born in Russia, but raised here in the U.S.?    

Besides, this is Marvel Studios directing; they directly know their stuff.  This ain't Fox or Sony.

Avatar image for mysteriomaximus
    MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By MysterioMaximus

I might get some crap for this, I am really excited for the film, but this TV spot didn't make the film look all that amazing IMO. Not like the trailers anyway...I thought this made it look downright corny!

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AngelFrost

I knew ScarJo would screw Black Widow up. ¬_¬  she sounds so 'common' and skanky.  
    I wouldn't have even minded a British Accent for BW if Emily Blunt had played her.  (YES, I'M STILL BITTER.)

Crazy Pan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Crazy Pan

Maybe she TRIED a Russian accent and failed at it...then by the time she revealed she can't talk in an accent they were all "Well crap we already signed the contracts and everything...can't replace her now..." so they just had to deal with it. Honestly, I'm upset about it HOWEVER I would rather have an American accent over a BAD Russian accent. Would you agree?

Tainted-Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15  Edited By Tainted-Cell

When Iron Man 2 was presented at ComicCon last year, Scarlett Johansson was asked if Black Widow would have a Russian accent.

Her exact response was this: "I will say that she is covert, and that she blends in, you know, it's not like she comes onto the scene and they're like: 'who's that Russian chick?' No. I think that would be a little bit of a dead giveaway. I don't know how covert you would be if you were tolkeen likah dees. [Laughs] But I would've if I had to have."

Which, you know, is easy for the production - not having to worry about getting it a certain way, and isn't TOO much of a cop-out considering she IS a trained SHIELD agent. I'm sure at some point in the movie there may or may not be a dub when she does speak in actual Russian.

@AngelFrost:
    "Looks like the fight's coming to you." How does that sound "skanky?" You're not too wild about Scarlett Johansson, obviously, but that's a little hateful, don't you think? And after seeing Wolfman, I'm pretty sure Emily Blunt wouldn't have given a better performance.

Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By Moomin123

That was cool, but Scarlett Johannson still sounded a little bit American.
    AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AngelFrost
    @Tainted-Cell:  The whole point was to be hateful!  lol.  - I'm not exactly thrilled with ScarJo,  When she says  "Looks like tha' fights commin' ta you"   -  she sounds like a New York/Tennesse Chick  ...   She doesn't normally sound like that, so god knows what accent she was trying to immitate.   Emily was good in the Wolfman!  :O    
    Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#18  Edited By Illyana Rasputin

If they did not give Black Widow a Russian accent, I would be disappointed.

Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#19  Edited By Illyana Rasputin
    @Bruce Vain said:
    " It sounded like she had a liiiiittle of an accent at the end of the sentence , but it didn't sound like a great Russian accent.  I tell what really disappointed me was when Colossus in the X-Men films didn'a have an accent at all. They got the perfect guy for Pieter , but when he didn't have that accent it bummed me out. It's not like it's a hard accent to pull off either. Just like Pyro not having an Aussie accent in the films .Storm had in accent in the first one , but yet then loses it in the next ones ?? Lol - Grant it it sounded like crap , but still lol "
    I noticed Storm's increasingly vanishing accent, too. That was lame.
    camodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By camodude

most likely a russian accent throughout the movie just not in that one clip

BaronVonDredd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By BaronVonDredd

B to the U to the L to the L to the $#@%!!!!!!!

Dipic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dipic
    @Crazy Pan said:
    " Maybe she TRIED a Russian accent and failed at it...then by the time she revealed she can't talk in an accent they were all "Well crap we already signed the contracts and everything...can't replace her now..." so they just had to deal with it. Honestly, I'm upset about it HOWEVER I would rather have an American accent over a BAD Russian accent. Would you agree? "
    Uh, isn't that what casting auditions are for? Why would they cast her for the part without seeing if she could do a Russian accent unless they decided ahead of time that they didn't care if she had one or not.
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By goldenkey

Can't wait.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#24  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @AngelFrost said:
    "I knew ScarJo would screw Black Widow up. ¬_¬  she sounds so 'common' and skanky.   I wouldn't have even minded a British Accent for BW if Emily Blunt had played her.  (YES, I'M STILL BITTER.) "
    Lol, how did that sound "skanky?"
    Nyogtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Nyogtha
    @MemnochZERO: AMEN!
    mrduckluck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mrduckluck

rhodie is using 2 armors in these tv spot

Avatar image for captain_amerika
    Captain Amerika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Captain Amerika

She would be the worst spy in the world if she could not hide her accent. Should American spies that went to Germany in WWII keep their southern aww shucks toe-kickin' accent when trying to pass as a German factory worker? A particular scene in Inglorious Bastards with Brad Pitt comes to mind when thinking of such a thing.  

If Scarlett had an accent in the movie, it would be stupid. Plus, I am not even sure that Black Widow has an accent in the comics anyway. I certainly would not think so for her undercover years. 

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By Yung ANcient One

I dont want to see anymore SPoilers... AKA Trailers...

Crazy Pan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29  Edited By Crazy Pan
    @Dipic: I dunno. Mebbe she just flashed her boobs and they were like "okay she's in" before they checked her accent :D That's REALLY what the casting auditions are all about after all :P
    Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bruce Vain
    @Illyana Rasputin said:
    "If they did not give Black Widow a Russian accent, I would be disappointed. "
    You and me both. I don't wanna be disappointed again like I was with Colossus not having it.  

And with Storm for Halle being an Oscar winner should've done a better job with that accent. I know Angela Bassest would've done a far more superior job than her.
    @AngelFrost:
    I still want Emily Blunt damn it or hell Stana Katic (Stiletto & Spirit) would've been good. 

Avatar image for flash_wildblaze
    Flash Wildblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Flash Wildblaze

well she is a spy so she could be trained to have a perfect american accent at least thats how i would explain it in the movie

mattbryce2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mattbryce2000

accents are easy to imagine, but seeing them translated to film can be really really lame. maybe they opted to just not give her an accent to keep it from messing up the film if it goes wrong. even the best actors aren't perfect with their accents. although, some people can pull it off. i personally would rather see a good actress with a normal accent, then a not-so-good actress with a good russian accent. or maybe it's all a cover and she speaks with a flawless accent throughout the film. no matter what, i will be there on opening night so i might as well love what they gave me, even if it means ignoring minor details that are left out. i don't hear alot of grief over the fact that sam rockwell is about 30 years too young to play justin hammer. so just enjoy it for what it is. (sorry for babbling. i just love scarlett johansson)
    PeteyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By PeteyParker

Hey  Doc Ock, Storm, and Colossus didn't have accents.......so NOW its gonna start making Marvel movies suck?    

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By SevanGrim

i think she could have learned a ruskie accident. dialect coaches can work you through each scene if the need to. 
     but at the same time, i always find it lame that spies dont drop the one thing that can trace them all the way back to their exact foreign town, so this COULD be there way of saying shes a bad ass spy.
     ...but its probably just laziness. no one seems to think like i do...

moxie-lane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#35  Edited By moxie-lane
    @sora_thekey:
    If she doesnt have an accent maybe its an under cover thing right now. she might have an accent later on like shes an under cover spy a lot of accents to master. Plus if shes suppoed to be like an american why would she have a russian accent. it might be later in the movie reveiled when shes talking to her comrads

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.