Follow

IDW Publishing

Publisher »

IDW Publishing (Idea Design Works, LLC) is a comic book publisher known for Steve Niles’ horror title 30 Days of Night. It has grown to include both original series as well as licensed property.

Advanced Review: Train Me, Gamble

Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided
    When the galaxy’s most-feared hero, Andrew Smith, is asked to stop a diabolical warlord, he has to own up to the fact that he doesn’t actually know how to fight and seek out the training of Gamble, a legendary immortal fighter.

The Good 

Rocky meets Star Wars is an inherently-appealing  concept for a comic and I was charmed by the whole notion of a giant monster having to, at last, live up to this heroic reputation circumstances had undeservedly awarded him. The first third of this OGN (the first issue) is actually pretty tight with some fun, if light, poking at the tropes of space opera. 

The Bad 

The art’s really all over the place. Some pages and panels have lavish detail and professional levels of rendering; others seem like there wasn't enough time or interest put in to properly render backgrounds or even keep perspective in line. The writing really suffers from the same problem.  It starts off quite tightly, then gets steadily buried in a mess of long monologues that could've really benefited from trimming. 

The Verdict - 2.5/5 

In both positive and negative ways, this OGN feels like a promising ashcan you’d pick up in artist alley at a convention.  If it were tightened and some of the excessive monologues were shortened, it'd be a solid 22-pager. There’s definitely raw talent  here and an earnest sincerity to the work that's hard to resist, but it’s much rougher than anything I’d everexpect out of IDW.  I feel like the team behind this is going to produce some good comics, but they still need a couple years of practice to sharpen their work.
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By The_Ghostshell

You lost me at "Rocky meets Star Wars."

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Mercy_

Fix

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mercy_
    @aztek the lost said:
    " @The Dark Huntress said:
    " Fix "
    everyone knows you only "fix" these to get your post count up...TROLL! you probably broke them in the first place! "
    Pfft. I fix them because I have slight OCD and they irritate the crap out of me. There are tons of other things that I could be doing to get my post count up. 
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mercy_
    @aztek the lost: you sure are
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mercy_
    @aztek the lost: something meaningless
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mercy_
    @aztek the lost: desperate plea
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mercy_
    @aztek the lost: THAT'S AN ABUSE OF YOUR MOD POWERS! I'M TELLING ON YOU!!!!
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mercy_
    @aztek the lost: O_O

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.