Follow

Icon

Character » Icon appears in 106 issues.

Icon is the superhero persona of Arnus aka Augustus Freeman, and member of the Terminan alien race. He crash-landed on Earth in the American South in 1839; Raised as a slave, but escaped through the Underground Railroad. Following a series of events, Augustus decides to become a Superhero, and eventually joins the Justice League, after being drafted by Superman.

How Icon should be reintroduced

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Being built in the same archetype, Icon obviously has many face value similarities to Superman. Due to this, many may feel that he is too redundant to be in the same universe. Many who are ignorant of him simply write him off as a "Black Superman". Upon pondering, this creates a perfect challenge for a Geoff Johns-esque revamp!

Let the first arc be not so much an origin so much as a "response" to the first adventure of Icon and Rocket. Similar to how Johns' Aquaman run has addressed many of the ignorant assumptions on that character, an Icon mini or backup could help to due the same for Icon. Have the news refer to him as "the black Superman" of Dakota City, with reporters asking him if he is a member of Superman's race.

Though many Milestone books did not feature race as a prominent issue (as opposed to what many ignorant detractors believed), Icon was definitely a book that dealt with race issues, class warfare, conservatism, rising up out of the ghetto, minorities within minorities, and clashing ideologies. THE CONTROVERSY ALONE COULD SELL A BOOK, DC!!!! Namely the fact that not only would a comic book, a medium whose creators are usually more liberal, is coming from a more conservative standpoint, but the fact that it's a black character whose voice is saying these things. Icon himself could question why he has to be the "Black man's Superman" and what that truly means. If done well, it could easily elevate the book beyond just "big dumb punching" and into something great.

Another area that Icon desperately needs in terms of definition is a real rogues gallery. Though he had a few foes, Icon mainly fought other people's villains, such as Holocaust. Give him enemies! Have villains who just happen to want to fight Icon, have villains who may happen to be racist, have villains who are also black! The other black villains could either be gang member bang babies, or people who actually think that Icon isn't black enough (going back into the race issues).

Seriously, DC is sitting on a goldmine when to it comes to Icon and other characters.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 48

#2  Edited By Black_Claw

@jointron33: Dude, having Icon going through a situation similar to Aquaman sounds like a perfect idea! No screw it, all these ideas sound awesome, and I would love nothing more than see Holocaust be Icon's arch enemy.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_claw: DC is sitting on a goldmine. I guess all that talk of diversity was bs

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_claw: DC is sitting on a goldmine. I guess all that talk of diversity was bs

Of course it was, why do you think they gave their minority characters awful creative teams for their on goings and pushed one minority to be among the big 7 only to make him the team bus?

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I have the entire Milestone collection its really sad that DC is just sitting on so many great characters.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jointron33

They only care about minorities if they're ghey. And Cyborg is just a warp flute from super Mario bros 3

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They only care about minorities if they're ghey. And Cyborg is just a warp flute from super Mario bros 3

Well when a milestone fan asked one of the higher ups at DC if they going to do anything interesting with other Milestone characters at a panel last year he said "Me and Geoff actually had a talk about that, stay tuned for 2013". There might be hope but I wouldn't hold my breath.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms__omega: I still have faith that one day DC will see the potential waiting to be unleashed (and if they do, let's pray they won't get a tool like Scott McDaniel to be in charge).

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im very interested in DC doing this. I love Milestone characters and their stories, and I want them near the forefront. I think Static is the Rosetta Stone, get him right, and it opens a brand new world of stories.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo: as long as they get a creative team that actually knows what the hell they're doing this time then sure.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_claw: Christopher priest on writing, Sami basri on art

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jointron33: can you think of some good villains to be a part of his rogues gallery other than Holocaust?

FridgeRaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FridgeRaider

Have it start off where there is a war within the cooperative and Icon is called to bring peace.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Not gonna lie, I would love to see some kind of arc with Superman, Shazam, and Icon just duking it out for a bit. I think that could be a cool way to introduce him. Maybe he's bitter over being considered a "black Superman."

I just wanna see them duke it out.

SuperDoahBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@jointron33: Judging off of how they handled Static, I'm all but convinced that DC is unable to handle any Milestone characters. But I would love to be proven wrong.

I do agree that a good starting point would be to develop his rouge gallery, and instead of just retelling his origin a better idea would be to acknowledge his time in Milestone's Dakota.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.