Follow

Hulk

Character » Hulk appears in 7771 issues.

After being bombarded with a massive dose of gamma radiation while saving a young man's life during an experimental bomb testing, Dr. Robert Bruce Banner was transformed into the Incredible Hulk: a green behemoth who is the living personification of rage and pure physical strength.

Why is it so hard to write a decent Hulk comic?

OldBoy93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

thoughts?

Schwarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's really not hard. The problem is that Marvel is lacking the talent to do so or that there is a bit too much pressure on the writers from Disney/SJWs and those kind of terrorist groups. Marvel is too entangled in the politics to do anything good right now.

Avatar image for atheistknowledge
    AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Many writers miss the whole point of Hulk or focus on one thing while ignoring the other. Hulk is a complex character but it shouldn't be that hard to write him, after all Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde as well as Frankenstein have existed for well over a century.

OldBoy93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By OldBoy93

@atheistknowledge: Yeah, Hulk is not a real superhero, he's more similar to Universal monsters

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RabumAlal

Because he is boring.

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
    BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Many writers miss the whole point of Hulk or focus on one thing while ignoring the other. Hulk is a complex character but it shouldn't be that hard to write him, after all Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde as well as Frankenstein have existed for well over a century.

My thoughts exactly

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

Pretty much. They lack the knowledge of the character, simply don't get Hulk/Banner, or don't care for the character and the fans/readers. And it doesn't help that Axel Alonso (along with many of the editors/executives and writers) is one of the main (possibly the main person) on this diversity for the sake of diversity kick that Marvel Comics is on right now.

This blog post, written by Gary M. Miller, pretty much sums it up.

http://www.delusionalhonesty.com/2016/07/mortem-viridi-civil-war-ii-3-dissected.html

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Cause writers go back to some status quo I'm honestly not sure ever existed about Banner being a weak victim and Hulk a stupid monster. I guess to be fair Duggan didn't, but the super smart Doc Green does seem like a purposeful aversion of the monster created under the assumption Hulk had never been anything else before, plus his comedic style might have led to a bunch of laughs, but ultimately doesn't fit the Hulk.

@greenscar1990: Alonso is also the biggest bigot at marvel, who has pretty much made clear on the social made he considers diverse characters new or old bad and does changes mostly to piss people off since it gives him a kick to have that kind of influence not to represent anyone.

bonifidehustla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@schwarz said:

It's really not hard. The problem is that Marvel is lacking the talent to do so or that there is a bit too much pressure on the writers from Disney/SJWs and those kind of terrorist groups. Marvel is too entangled in the politics to do anything good right now.

Funny how they talk about diversity yet they changed Ancient One in Dr. Strange. I will not be fooled by that bs excuse about it being because of Tibet so they can't have an asian. lmao. Funny thing is Hulk should be one of the easiest comics to right. I mean you can choose any persona you want and just roll with it and make sure he smash. I wish he would meet all his personas and decide which one to do at that time period.

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
    deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

Writers who have bothered to check hulks history and go beyond the smashing have done pretty well. Others usually go with what they see, which is a one dimensional image of a green giant causing chaos.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

The problem most of the times is with what Marvel actually want from the character. They want him to be a complex characters because of his significance but when he is written right they are not delighted with the results. What they mostly like is a one dimensional wrecking ball that they can use to fight other heroes or to be the common enemy of all good guys.

Avatar image for medulaoblaganda
    medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think i said a long time ago that one day the hulk popularity will die off in comic wise. am not happy at all. hulk his one of the earliest founding member of the avengers. it shouldn't be had to write hulk . create a new villain far stronger than hulk. let him explore in space or something. him and drax the destroyer could team up and fight thanos. make the hulk a matured hulk. a hulk that doesn't talk too much. old man logan type of personality and mix with ROAR fill into the hulk character. just saying. they killed off sentry because he his too powerful, now they killed off hulk because he his too powerful i guess. might be wrong. the hulk could have his own group members as well to fight cosmic beings. even if they killed off hulk because he is too powerful or watnut. superman is OP as well yet he is doing so well in comics. this is the reason why am leaning on DC comics nowadays.

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@medulaoblaganda:

It's not a case of Hulk/Banner's popularity dying, as the character is still one of the main A list characters and highly popular. Nor is it that Hulk is too powerful, for if that were the case lots of ultra powerful heroes and villains who're extremely would be getting shelved. No, it's Axel Alonso and the editors/executives/creative teams at Marvel who are forcing this angle on fans/readers just because they can.

Unfortunately for them, and most fortunate for us, it is doomed for failure and will come back around to bite them hard in the ass once this is all said and done. What is needed in new creative teams, new writers who truly love and understand our characters. A writer who actually gets Banner/Hulk.

Avatar image for medulaoblaganda
    medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greenscar1990: i don't even know who axel alonso is at all. i will look him up online. like i said again, the hulk will be back again. am a huge hulk fan.

bonifidehustla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Funny thing is they pushing Chulk so hard he's flopping in games. Even people who don't read comics and just play the games don't like him. People hated him in Future Fight and hated his smug so much they begged Netmarble to change it.

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 thedailybagel  Moderator

I think it's sometimes a case of too much creative freedom. It's not like batman, superman or thor where these characters have set personalities and a very good rogues gallery. Writers can write hulk and banner in basically any way they choose to, for example Paul Jenkins banner, Jason Aaron's banner and paks banner may as well be completely different people. It just so happened that paks worked better.

It's not always the talent, writers like waid, aaron and duggan are all fantastic in some cases, they just didn't do enough research into the character and their interpretations of banner and hulk were just less interesting than paks or bruce jones for example.

From my point of view, writers who put lots of effort into researching hulks lore/stories tend to write him FAR better. As well as having completely original ideas as opposed to retreading old ones. Pak did that excellently imo. I'd love for hulk to just go into space again and go from there.

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GreenScar1990

@ready_4_madness:

Ignorance of Banner/Hulk, nor stupid assumptions/claims from those like you, do not make him a terrible character or entail bad storytelling.

OldBoy93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not hard. Peter David it. Other writers have had good stories for him. It's the overall lack of talent and misunderstanding of Hulks character

OldBoy93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GreenScar1990
    @oldboy93 said:

@ready_4_madness: That's probably Superman

Yep. Overrated and overvalued. His biggest enemy is a bald, billionaire human creep and a Hulk knock-off with spikes. And wasn't Superman just recently killed off? Why, yes! Not surprising, even if it was the New 52 version. Then again, not much you can do with a cape-wearing, boy-scout these days.

OldBoy93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bonifidehustla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldboy93: loool Superman Rebirth book is one of the best books in the Market right now. Where's Bruce Banner?

Over 75 years and they still have great stories to tell. They've already ran out ideas with Hulk so they made a new one and killed the original with Hawkeye. Superman is arguably the best superhero, this is no debate.

Best superhero to you? I'm pretty sure that was in the past not now. Also Green Latern book is the best out of the rebirths. Action Comics been bad in most of the issues. Plus Hulk is not really a superhero tbh. Captain America is a superhero. Hulk is an anti hero that usually at the right place at the right time.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn look at all the published writers saying how easy it is to write. :P

bonifidehustla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bonifidehustla: "superman is ONE of the best books in the market right now" Rebirth as a whole has been great. Action Comics has been well received so I guess you're speaking for yourself. I fail to see what makes him great.

Not speaking for myself most people says Action Comics is the weakest and that the recent issue was good. They also say Green Latern is the best out of the Rebirth Line up and the Batman one.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.