Follow

Hulk

Character » Hulk appears in 7765 issues.

After being bombarded with a massive dose of gamma radiation while saving a young man's life during an experimental bomb testing, Dr. Robert Bruce Banner was transformed into the Incredible Hulk: a green behemoth who is the living personification of rage and pure physical strength.

Why a Hulk TV Series could work better than a Hulk film

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Edited By Bezza

Ok, let me declare an interest here. I was a wee child when Bill Bixby and Lou Ferringo burst onto our TV screens and that series is the reason why Hulk became my favourite character. It remains the only successful non animated TV series featuring a single Marvel character (the 70s Spiderman series lasted but one season) and has dated better than some other 70s TV shows (WW anyone?). Neither of the Hulk movies to date has been a commercial success. Ang Lee's art house effort followed a disappointing Daredevil early in the Marvel cinematic story and was perhaps a bit left field to be universally popular. The second Hulk film had some good moments, but lacked star quality, with Ed Norton not really convincing that well. Its a shame because the core elements were there, with an Abomination giving a super climatic battle, but for me the Ed Norton Hulk needed to do some weight training, as only at the end of that film did he show the true power of a Hulk! The Ruffalo Hulk has been a major success and had most of the funniest moments in the Avengers movie, but doubt still lingers as to whether another Hulk movie would deliver. So, with DC showing that a TV series can be successful, with their Arrow and Flash programmes, would a Hulk TV series actually be more sensible and replicate the success enjoyed by the original? Here's why I think it might. A key component of a good Hulk story is the relationship with Bruce Banner and the Hulk and it would be possible to build stories exploring that relationship in a TV series. The Hulk works well on screen when the anticipation builds in advance of Bruce "hulking out". Again this would be a core component of a TV show. The Hulk sometimes lacks a convincing villains roster, but it would be an opportunity to gradually introduce the Leader, Ross, Modok etc...Finally, the story of Hulk is essentially a greek tradegy, a modern day Jekkyll and Hyde tale and this might work better in gritty weekly episodes than in one of Marvel's movies, with their need to be bouncy and witty. Anyway, those are just my thoughts, obviously I would love to see a Hulk movie like anyone else, but a TV show, that could really work!

No Caption Provided

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1 thedailybagel  Moderator

@bezza: allot of that could work but a major downside is that a hulk tv series would require amazing special effects. And even by todays standards special effects aren't exactly revolutionary on the small screen *cough* arrow season one episode one explosion *cough*

Avatar image for underdogsupporter
    UnderdogSupporter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I think they already have a Hulk TV series but its animated. I agree with Thedailybagel that a live-action Hulk TV series would require a lot of special effects and depending on the budget, might pose an issue for the series in the long run.

Hulk would need to be written well if this series is to be successful.

ilikedonuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By ilikedonuts

Yep, a live-action TV show of Hulk would be great. An' could be done too. Anythin' is possible as long as ya want an' believe enough.

I'm more of a comics person though, but TV shows are great too.

Avatar image for atheistknowledge
    AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have 2 words for you my friend... special effects.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistknowledge:

good point, but Flash is doing fine in that department and he relies on effects a lot!

Avatar image for atheistknowledge
    AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza: Yes but Flash is still a human in a costume, the special effects come when it involves him using his speed. Hulks whole existence can not be done without special effects, he is entirely made out of CGI even if he did nothing but sit down and talked, let alone smash stuff.

bonifidehustla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they already have a Hulk TV series but its animated. I agree with Thedailybagel that a live-action Hulk TV series would require a lot of special effects and depending on the budget, might pose an issue for the series in the long run.

Hulk would need to be written well if this series is to be successful.

I hate that abomination cartoon.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bezza

@bezza: Yes but Flash is still a human in a costume, the special effects come when it involves him using his speed. Hulks whole existence can not be done without special effects, he is entirely made out of CGI even if he did nothing but sit down and talked, let alone smash stuff.

True, and it will be interesting to see how they do Grodd in the Flash series, as essentially he will have to be a CGI type character. Anyway, at the rate technology is improving I reckon they could do a Hulk series before too long and make it look convincing!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.