Follow

Hulk

Character » Hulk appears in 7771 issues.

After being bombarded with a massive dose of gamma radiation while saving a young man's life during an experimental bomb testing, Dr. Robert Bruce Banner was transformed into the Incredible Hulk: a green behemoth who is the living personification of rage and pure physical strength.

Mark Ruffalo Reveals Universal Owns Rights to Hulk Solo Films

• 79 results
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided

Since the Marvel Cinematic Universe has kicked into full gear, we've seen Captain America, Iron Man, and Thor all have multiple films, and while the 2008 film The Incredible Hulk was the second film in the MCU, many are wondering why there hasn't been a sequel.

In an interview with Collider, Mark Ruffalo, who plays Bruce Banner in the upcoming Avengers: Age of Ultron, revealed that Marvel doesn't own the rights to a solo Hulk film and that's why he can't go out and smash on his own:

As far as a Hulk movie, a standalone Hulk movie, Marvel doesn’t really have the rights to that yet. That’s still Universal’s property, so there’s that issue. That’s a big impediment to moving forward with that. Now I don’t think that’s insurmountable, by the way, but I don’t know where it’s going from here for me.

Ruffalo has four films left on his contract and that he could do more as well, depending on what is needed from him. He's not sure if he's going to be in Captain America: Civil War as of yet but there is a possibility of him being in that film or another character's solo film as well.

This is quite the bummer for Hulk fans seeing as interest in the character has really taken off since the last Avengers film. Could Marvel and Universal work out some sort of deal just like Marvel and Sony did for Spider-Man? What do you think?

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I really hope they manage to either get the rights back or strike a deal with Universal. I need more Hulk in my life.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#2  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Wait, then how does The Incredible Hulk fit into the MCU? If Universal owns the film rights to the Hulk, how was Marvel able to produce that film or even use Hulk in The Avengers to begin with? Something doesn't add up with this statement.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

noooooooooooooooo

why universal whyyyyy

~MiB

Avatar image for atheistknowledge
    AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's kinda weird... Marvel has the right to use Hulk in any other movie except his own solo one. Not sure how that makes sense also there has been this just recently.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for handofprometheus
    HandOfPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I did not know Hulk had different rights for films damn Marvel who else you barely have control over?

Scarlet_Rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, then how does The Incredible Hulk fit into the MCU? If Universal owns the film rights to the Hulk, how was Marvel able to produce that film or even use Hulk in The Avengers to begin with? Something doesn't add up with this statement.

By my best guess it works like Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. By being attached to the Avengers Marvel is able to use him. What I wonder is if Universal is able and willing to try to make solo Hulk movies unattached to the MCU, and if so will they bomb?

UltimatePower6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Man I feel like I just got slapped for not noticing something that was right in front of my face. I just assumed Hulk transferred to Marvel.

Avatar image for timelordscience
    TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

interest in the character has really taken off since the last Avengers film

Has it? Are his comic sales better than they were prior?

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

I find it interesting that amid all of the fans constantly demanding a Hulk movie that Feige or someone else at Marvel didn't just tell everyone that Universal still had the Hulk rights. It would've quieted a lot of the frustration from Hulk fans that want to see him get more solo films. In any case, I'm not a big fan of Hulk so whether he gets a Planet Hulk film or not really doesn't impact me. His appearances in the Avengers movies are probably enough for me.

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Well, that explains it, somewhat anyway.

Avatar image for journey_into_chaos
    Journey Into Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@atheistknowledge: lol. I think it would be too chaotic. We don't want the sh'iar getting pissed off.

butters911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im suprised Universal isnt at least trying to make a solo Hulk film. They are doing that old monsters cinematic universe, aren't they? they could add Hulk to one of those.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait what? Since when?

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Go on Disney buy back Hulk and get Namor while you're at it.

Gotham331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here comes the end of hulk comics

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer said:

By my best guess it works like Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. By being attached to the Avengers Marvel is able to use him. What I wonder is if Universal is able and willing to try to make solo Hulk movies unattached to the MCU, and if so will they bomb?

But the 2008 Incredible Hulk was produced by Marvel Studios and distributed by Universal, I agree with War Killer something is wrong with this statement, I think universal only owns the distribution rights for a solo Hulk movie, if not he couldn't appear in marvel studios movies and the MCU like he said, because Universal would own the property, and Marvel would have to make a deal with universal like they did with Sony for Spider-Man, and if Universal really owns the property why don't they made Hulk movies like Sony did with Spider-Man? Spider-Man couldn't appear in the MCU before the Sony Marvel deal, Hulk and Universal are a different scenario from Sony and Spider-Man for sure...

Disney doesn't green light any Hulk solo movie because they don't want Universal making the distribution of their properties...

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

@asgaard said:

@risingbean said:

@war_killer said:

But the 2008 Incredible Hulk was produced by Marvel Studios and distributed by Universal, I agree with War Killer something is wrong with this statement, I think universal only owns the distribution rights for a solo Hulk movie, if not he couldn't appear in marvel studios movies and the MCU like he said, because Universal would own the property, and Marvel would have to make a deal with universal like they did with Sony for Spider-Man, and if Universal really owns the property why don't they made Hulk movies like Sony did with Spider-Man? Spider-Man couldn't appear in the MCU before the Sony Marvel deal, Hulk and Universal are a different scenario from Sony and Spider-Man for sure...

Disney doesn't green light any Hulk solo movie because they don't want Universal making the distribution of their properties...

Yours is the only explanation that makes sense to me about this.

To be honest though, I find it hard to take an actors word on anything, especially something like this, which really isn't something any actor or actress is heavily involved in. This isn't to say that I think he's lying, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's just repeating hear-say. Personally, with this now being out there, I'd like to see Marvel officially state what is really going on in terms of Hulk's solo movies and whether Universal is the reason why we haven't seen one since 2008.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^^^^ this person gets it

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Asgaard

@war_killer said:

@asgaard said:

@risingbean said:

@war_killer said:

Yours is the only explanation that makes sense to me about this.

To be honest though, I find it hard to take an actors word on anything, especially something like this, which really isn't something any actor or actress is heavily involved in. This isn't to say that I think he's lying, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's just repeating hear-say. Personally, with this now being out there, I'd like to see Marvel officially state what is really going on in terms of Hulk's solo movies and whether Universal is the reason why we haven't seen one since 2008.

I Agree again with you, Ruffalo misunderstood something that Feige told him in some party connected with Avengers 2, we will see soon clarifications from K. Feige in Avengers 2 interviews before that movie is released...

No Caption Provided

Link Not official source, but also points our explanation for Ruffalo words...

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By kgb725

Buy back Hulk and Namor and add Namor to the defenders

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm happy that F4 and X-Men are outside the MCU, but this sucks. The Incredible Hulk was my favorite film of Phase 1 and I would have liked to see another one day.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This makes me sad...

deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

Not surprised that Universal owns the rights to The Hulk. That's where the television series was back in the day. It makes sense now. The series did well enough, including three television films. The two feature films under-performed. So Universal would have to see a green dollar sign to green light another Hulk film. Marvel may need to approach The Hulk like Spider-Man.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

So when they get it back they will do a Planet Hulk movie and it will finally cement the PH/WWH personal as the forever status quo. I accept this.

GrimoireMyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guess its going to take a bit longer to get another solo Hulk movie.

Ducey13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My thoughts as well. The Incredible Hulk IS canon for the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It was produced by Marvel Studios and Distributed by Universal. Why can't they just do the same deal again?

MachoMustachio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@syncig: probably because they are now in a position to make a solo Hulk movie and they revealed it now so that fans will put pressure on Universal which will make them more willing to make a deal with Marvel.

As awesome as the MCU universe is, it sucks that Hulk is the only of the core four Avengers (and my favorite Avenger/one of my favorite Marvel characters) without any solo movies. This error must be remedied post haste or else HULK SMASH UNIVERSAL!

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

well THAT explains it!

Kokemabb200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@timelordscience: The Indestructible Hulk was selling well or at the very least was well received, but I think sales dropped a bit after "Doc Green" became a thing

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

marvels characters movie deals are all screwed up.

juanclunac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, maybe is for the best if there has not been a hulk movie yet, I mean its a difficult character to portray in the big screen, and the last two hulk movies weren't so good if I may say so. Also correct me if im wrong but hulk with edward norton is accounted in the MCU.. or i think so.. :P dont smash me if I'm wrong.

Kokemabb200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ducey13 said:

@war_killer said:

My thoughts as well. The Incredible Hulk IS canon for the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It was produced by Marvel Studios and Distributed by Universal. Why can't they just do the same deal again?

Because Hulk features before the Avengers were never really met with much critic or fan support. I figure they let Marvel produce it because they figured it would be a marginally profitable venture and had the projected profit split evenly.

However, since Hulk in the Avengers has been so well enjoyed they probably figure that a Hulk solo movie would rake in a significant amount of money and are probably strong-arming Disney/Marvel for a higher percentage of the earnings or full merchandise profit or something else along those lines.

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
    deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

So they kept this classified and they decided it was a good idea to reveal it a few days before AoU.

You're so evil sometimes Marvel

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

We need another standalone Hulk film.

But I don't mind if he appears in other Marvel films, provided his role and impact is rather significant/very important.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

@machomustachio: He does have a solo movie. The Incredible Hulk with Edward Norton is part of the MCU.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Don't give Disney any ideas....

playhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#44  Edited By playhouse

Uni doesn't own the production rights to the Hulk. Marvel does. What Universal has are the distribution rights, which is why they distributed 'The Incredible Hulk' even though it was produced by Marvel Studios. Disney has to determine whether or not they want to share those distribution revenues or pay off Universal for them. Unless they feel they can make a killing with a solo Hulk movie, which hasn't proven to be the case, I don't seem them making any deal any time soon.

So, Marvel can make a Hulk movie any time it wants. It just has to use Uni to distribute the film instead of Disney.

bonifidehustla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@timelordscience: The Indestructible Hulk was selling well or at the very least was well received, but I think sales dropped a bit after "Doc Green" became a thing

Maybe at the begging but when Waid started doing some crazy BS his sales went down and he was basically fired from Hulk.

Kokemabb200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Kokemabb200

@bonifidehustla: I know I'm a minority but I really don't like what Waid has been doing recently. Especially with Daredevil, I thought everyone else enjoyed the "risks" he was taking.

Regardless, after Secret Wars the whole Marvel status quo will be restored so in the long run its not that big of a deal.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well that blows

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@kgb725: I hope your just playing around

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What?

Beata

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.