Follow

Hulk

Character » Hulk appears in 7765 issues.

After being bombarded with a massive dose of gamma radiation while saving a young man's life during an experimental bomb testing, Dr. Robert Bruce Banner was transformed into the Incredible Hulk: a green behemoth who is the living personification of rage and pure physical strength.

Is there any suspense in Hulk fights anymore?

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By seekquaze

It seems under Pak everytime I turn around there is either some new comment or new feat to showcase how much greater the Hulk is than everyone else.  Anytime I flip through a book with him in a fight the Hulk never comes across really challenged or in danger of losing.  He gets attacked than just powers on through whatever is attacking him healing in the process.  I can't recall the last time he ever seemed to struggle in a fight.  Even the fight against Zeus, which raised many Hulk fans ire is called into question because apparenlty the Hulk "wanted to lose."

So, is there any suspense in his fights anymore or are Hulk's victories a done deal?

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

Nope I agree with you, they are pretty much a done deal. Alot of Hulk's enemies forget they have advantages over the Hulk and decide to play his own game with a face punching contest due to plot mainly, Sentry and Thor being more of the well known ones. It's basically been the same story for the past well Hulk's entire career. I think under Pak namely WWH, I liked the story, it was a fresh change IMO. Giving the Hulk a little more character depth with Caiera and Skaar and him becoming a king it was something different than, angry nerd angry cause picked on, angry nerd must hurt people. Oh angry nerd chased by military, must hurt military cause they make angry nerd, angrier.  He gets pissed, he fights, he heals, he gets angrier, he smashes, he wins. I like the Hulk, i liked his concept, but his stories have just gotten stale IMO, nothing really is a challenge anymore and if it is, they dumb down the challenger so Hulk can beat them in a brawl. It's one of the reasons I don't read his comics anymore.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

i've said it several times on this site and i'll say it again, the Hulk is the biggest walking P.I.S machine around

MrSeaman70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MrSeaman70

Hulk is the ultimate winner... You can save lots of $$$ if you skip every single issue of Hulk and just buy the finale if Marvel ever decides to axe the series :)
    gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By gravitypress

Poor writing of villains across Marvel.

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#6  Edited By AssertingValor

I don't think his origin suits his power....  thats his problem.....................
    Avatar image for iknoweverything
    IKnowEverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By IKnowEverything
    @The Stegman: YEP
    seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By seekquaze
    @ebuchanan
    What do you think would be more appropriate? 
    AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#9  Edited By AssertingValor
    @seekquaze said:
    @ebuchanan:  What do you think would be more appropriate? 
    anything that is more convincing......................................
    RedHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10  Edited By RedHulk

Red Hulk has continued to outsell the Green Hulk since his debut... and many readers of the big red have admitted to never caring that much for Banner's Hulk.  Taking some time to analyze why might bring some answers..
    seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By seekquaze
    @RedHulk
    Do you have an opinion as to what it the reason might be?  Maybe due to the Red Hulk once after the initial arc has not been portrayed as so invincible?
    RedHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#12  Edited By RedHulk

One of the main problems is with the original, most popular, and most well known Hulk personality: the unintelligent one.. where he has the mind of a child. That's what the casual reader is familiar with. In battle, all Hulk has is the brawn to survive. He has no wits or any other skills. But "the madder he gets, the stonger he gets" which lets the reader know he'll eventually win. After a while, this can get tiresome.

When it comes to Red Hulk, he is obviously not "the strongest one there is".. which is why he's on Steve Roger's redeemer program and not running the White House. But beyond that, Rulk is always Ross, and he has a tactical mind and military training he uses to outsmart enemies... a mind he just used in the latest Hulk issue against Modok and Zzzax... not to win the battle... but just to survive it.

But when we're talking incredible, almost unmatchable power of a Hulk, it all comes down to the man that wields it.  As mentioned in one of the above replies, many see Banner as a boring "nerd", a victim who just happens to be one of the smartest men in the world. Sort of like a Bill Gates personality. Not very interesting as a man.

Ross on the otherhand, people have found very interesting. He's cocky, brash and thickheaded. A military mind so strong in his views.. which allowed him to justify in his mind that taking over the county to fix it was the right thing to do. He's very flawed.. with old prejudices.. which inspires him to say things like to a long haired villain... "get a job hippie".

So there ya go.  Just my two cents.... :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.