Follow

Hulk

Character » Hulk appears in 7771 issues.

After being bombarded with a massive dose of gamma radiation while saving a young man's life during an experimental bomb testing, Dr. Robert Bruce Banner was transformed into the Incredible Hulk: a green behemoth who is the living personification of rage and pure physical strength.

Hulk story arcs...

Adam Michaels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Adam Michaels

I have to say, I haven't read all the Hulk books and am not all that familiar with past story arcs. I'm reading from Marvel Comics from the 60s and forth to do it properly and in order (I got a long way to go).  

Anyways, for those who have more experience reading Hulk, is it fair to say that this character has been getting bigger storylines now more than ever? Whereas Spider-Man, X-Men, and Fantastic Four could have their popular story arcs go as back as the 70s and 80s, Hulk has been starring in some big events more in recent years than ever before.  

While the entire Marvel universe shared Civil War, Hulk was off-world starring in his own arc: Planet Hulk. Then when he returned, he starred in his own arc again: World War Hulk. Despite others in the Marvel universe taking part in the story, Hulk is the lead character in all this. Now, although people are getting bored with it, the whole Red Hulk storyline did indeed start off real exciting.  

Now the Hulk family is getting multiple books: Hulk, Incredible Hulk, Skaar: Son of Hulk, and Incredible Hercules is always considered in the Hulk family of books.  

Anyways, is this really the time when Hulk is being given a more prominent role in the Marvel universe than ever before in the character's history?

Drafta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Drafta

Definitely.  Hulk is kind of going the way of Spiderman after his movies starting coming out.  But eventually this will all settle down, Banner will be featured in a boatload of comics, but he won't really play as big of a role in things that he currently does..  The only setback for Hulk is that I don't think he has quite as many fans as Spidey.

But, I'm usually wrong, so whatever.

Adam Michaels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Adam Michaels

I think the sales are proof of Spidey having more fans than Hulk. Although that's only counting the ones that actually buy comics. There could be countless others who don't buy the books, but get them off the net instead and can be "unofficially" counted as Hulk fans. 

Anyways, I always liked Hulk. But I'm a big Marvel fan and can find a spot for almost all its heroes in my heart. Whether they play big or small roles in the Marvel universe. 

But it would be fun if Red Hulk would revealed because from what I read in Wizard Magazine, comic shop owners around North America report that the story started real hot and fans were eager for the next issue. But with Rulk still a mystery, people's interest in the story declined and the sales dropped.  

I can be patient enough to wait and see when Loeb chooses to reveal who it is, but I think it could have been more epic if it was in Incredible Hulk #600. That ended up being just some regular issue that didn't resolve anything. It even had Spidey kind of step in and star in it more than anything. Which, as much as I love Spidey, I feel he had no real business in there.  

Now they're putting together a whole Hulk war that will include all the Hulks (Hulk, Red Hulk, She-Hulk, Red She-Hulk, Skaar, and Lyra). That should provide another Hulk story arc for the foreseeable future. Which could potentially be added to the list of recent popular Hulk story arcs.
    Adam Michaels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Adam Michaels
    @Truex said:
    "I never hated a Hulk comic until Loeb took over and created Rulk. If you want Hulk at his best then you need to read Peter David's run. "

I'll work my way up there. Like I said, I'm reading the 60s books now. I'm still at the first 6 issue Incredible Hulk that was Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. 

But the same issue of Wizard Magazine I mentioned before had a small article concerning the title's top 10 best writers throughout the years. Peter David was listed as #01. The list is as follows if you're interested: 
    01. Peter David 
    02. Sal Buscema 
    03. Greg Pak 
    04. Herb Trimpe 
    05. Gary Frank 
    06. Dale Kleown 
    07. Todd McFarlane 
    08. Bruce Jones (a mix of BRUCE Banner and Rick JONES? I know... lame) 
    09. Ed McGuinness 
    10. Bill Mantlo 

So I'm looking forward to learning more about Hulk as the readers did as the series went on. And I'm looking forward to reaching Peter David's work on the series.
    Avatar image for spiderulkerine91
    Spiderulkerine91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Spiderulkerine91

What shud I read after Hulk #12 to follow the red hulk storyline?
    easywolf32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.