Follow

Hulk

Character » Hulk appears in 7769 issues.

After being bombarded with a massive dose of gamma radiation while saving a young man's life during an experimental bomb testing, Dr. Robert Bruce Banner was transformed into the Incredible Hulk: a green behemoth who is the living personification of rage and pure physical strength.

Has Hulk ever caught Thors hammer in Midswing?

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Manchine

Just wondering if he has ever caught it like Superman did in JLAvengers.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By cattlebattle

Cattlebattle has heard your cries of inquiry.............

No Caption Provided
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Gambit1024

@cattlebattle: Who wrote that?

He really shouldn't be able to... The reason why Superman could do it is because he's worthy.

Avatar image for royale_with_cheese
    royale_with_cheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@cattlebattle said:

No Caption Provided

Samson: I...can't believe this.

A comic book reader from the future decided to travel into the past and change the course of comics for the better.

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Manchine

How about anything recent like last 20 years.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cattlebattle
    @Gambit1024: LOL, I have no idea
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#7  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @cattlebattle said:

No Caption Provided

@Gambit1024 said:

Who wrote that?

He really shouldn't be able to... The reason why Superman could do it is because he's worthy.

Just to be that guy that clarifies things, its a dream sequence. 
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#8  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @Manchine said:

There was a story called something like The Hulk: Let The Battle Begin. Hulk sort of grabbed Thor's hand and used his hand to stop the blow and hit Thor in the face with it. If your a huge Hulk fan who hates Thor is probably worth finding,  but I personally didn't really like it and i even got to speak to the writer and he was sort of a Hulk fanboy. He sort of sounded like a Battles poster with a Hulk avatar and Hulk username - just... very strange. He did add that originally Thor beat Hulk up more but that part was cut.  

Anyway hope that helps. 
    Watcherg6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Watcherg6

@Gambit1024: I have to disagree, I think catching it midswing, is not the same has Lifting it. If he is catching it, while thor is holding it, then it'd be like lifting thor and throwing him, and the Hulk can pick up Thor.

If Thor were to let it go, then... it would drop.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Deranged Midget

Without PIS, no he hasn't.

Watcherg6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Watcherg6

1988 The Incredible Hulk Returns Made for TV movie, the Hulk stops thor hammer, and Picks him up, while thor has the hammer

silverlord90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By silverlord90

@Gambit1024 said:

No, he is not worthy. he just caught it in middle air. i've been told that Thor can let you lift Mjolnir if he wants to.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By ReVamp

@Manchine said:

I believe so, yes. There's a particular scan I'm thinking, but its PIS.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gambit1024

@silverlord90 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

No, he is not worthy. he just caught it in middle air. i've been told that Thor can let you lift Mjolnir if he wants to.

-Superman or Hulk?

-You've been told wrong. Nobody is allowed to lift Mjolnir unless it deems you worthy.

silverlord90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By silverlord90

@Gambit1024 said:

@silverlord90 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

-Superman or Hulk?

-You've been told wrong. Nobody is allowed to lift Mjolnir unless it deems you worthy.

None of them. seems like Thor granted Supes the power to do it, i don't really know how sup lifted it. but he is not worthy.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Gambit1024

@silverlord90 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@silverlord90 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

-Superman or Hulk?

None of them. seems like Thor granted Supes the power to do it, i don't really know how sup lifted it. but he is not worthy.

Superman was able to lift it on his own, without Thor's so-called permission. He is certainly able to lift it, and has already done so.

silverlord90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By silverlord90

@Gambit1024 said:

@silverlord90 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@silverlord90 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

-Superman or Hulk?

Superman was able to lift it on his own, without Thor's so-called permission. He is certainly able to lift it, and has already done so.

He is worthy no more.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Gambit1024

@silverlord90 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@silverlord90 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@silverlord90 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

-Superman or Hulk?

He is worthy no more.

With the New 52? That's yet to be determined. I doubt we'll ever get confirmation on that anytime soon. But my point is, that pre-Flashpoint, Superman had that ability.

silverlord90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By silverlord90

@Gambit1024 said:

@silverlord90 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@silverlord90 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@silverlord90 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

-Superman or Hulk?

He is worthy no more.

With the New 52? That's yet to be determined. I doubt we'll ever get confirmation on that anytime soon. But my point is, that pre-Flashpoint, Superman had that ability.

No, no. before the crossover ends superman tries to hand Mjolnir to Thor and he can't lift if. Many people say because he wasn't fighting anymore. supes is a protector not a warrior, that made him unworthy. I don't know why actually, but New 52 has nothing to do, he was never compltely worthy

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Gambit1024

@silverlord90 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@silverlord90 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@silverlord90 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@silverlord90 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

-Superman or Hulk?

He is worthy no more.

No, no. before the crossover ends superman tries to hand Mjolnir to Thor and he can't lift if. Many people say because he wasn't fighting anymore. supes is a protector not a warrior, that made him unworthy. I don't know why actually, but New 52 has nothing to do, he was never compltely worthy

I'll have to reread it then. JLA/Avengers, correct?

silverlord90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By silverlord90

@Gambit1024 said:

@silverlord90 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@silverlord90 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@silverlord90 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@silverlord90 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

-Superman or Hulk?

He is worthy no more.

Exactly.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By PowerHerc

No, the Hulk hasn't ever caught Thor's hammer in mid-swing . . . yet.

tyciol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By tyciol

Assuming the magic of the hammer indeed prevents anyone unworthy from lifting it, no matter how strong they are, what are the physics in regard to what happens when someone tries to...

Like if the hulk were trying to lift the hammer on some soft earth, sand, etc. would his feet sink into the ground until it was like he was at the top of a deadlift (hips locked out) except the earth would be supporting the hammer I guess...

Which begs the question, if the hammer landed on the beach and that beach was Sandman and he made the part it landed on into his hand, could he not assume a posture as if he had lifted it....

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By SoA

@cattlebattle said:

No Caption Provided

:)

StNicholas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By StNicholas

The Hulk stopping Mjoliner, Thor's hammer, mid-swing is possible; considering Hulk can throw Thor around. But, if Thor wasn't wielding his hammer, would Hulk be able to pick it up? He may not be "worthy", but he may be mad enough to!

Fifthchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Fifthchild

@PowerHerc said:

No, the Hulk hasn't ever caught Thor's hammer in mid-swing . . . yet.

He has more or less though it was one of Thor's equivalents, Red Norvell. The Merged Hulk palmed the hammer and shoved the handle back into Norvell's gut. Did it much more casually then Superman did.

Rulk caught the hammer when he fought OdinPowered Thor.

Surfer caught the hammer when they fought recently though IIRC he needed two hands to pull it off.

Vortex1456789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Vortex1456789

The only time Iv'e ever seen hulk pick up Thor's hammer was in Journey into mystery #112 when Odin lifted all of the enchanments from it at Thor's request for five minutes, in fact Hulk nearly broke the hammer during that time, it was only due to the fact that Odin had put the enchantments back on the hammer in time that Hulk was not able to break it.

Also Grog a minion of Seth, the god of death was able to lift the hammer in Thor #396-397 1998 and thus was due to Balder the Brave having to use all of Thor's power to help in defense of Asgard against Seth.

The number of people other than Thor that have been able to lift the hammer is very few and here are a list of them

Beta Ray Bill Thor #337,1983

Dargo from the future Thor #384,1987

Steve Rogers Thor#390

Superman JLA/AVENGERS #4

Yes superman was able to do it briefly in that issue but could not do it after the battle.

theMightyMODOK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By theMightyMODOK

@Gambit1024 said:

@silverlord90 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@silverlord90 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@silverlord90 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@silverlord90 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

-Superman or Hulk?

He is worthy no more.

What about INJUSTICE Gods among us?

Now he is so not worthy...

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#29  Edited By Teerack

1) In zero gravity, even Thor's hammer would be weightless and hulk would be able to wield it.

2) If Thor's hand were touching any part of the hammer, even the leather part, it would be movable and thus Hulk would be able to use it against him. For example, if Thor was touching the leather strap, the Hulk could use the hammer against Thor.

3) If the hammer was already being summoned to Thor's hand, the Hulk could catch it on the way and redirect the force. Thor would technically still be in control, but Hulk would have more leverage to resist Thor's control over the hammer

Fifthchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Fifthchild

Just for clarity, since the thread got bumped here is Hulk palming Red Norvell's (a Thor equivalent) hammer and then shoving it back in his face more or less. Poor quality scan but hey:

No Caption Provided

Has to be said though - at this stage the list of people who have pulled off a similar feat is getting kind of longish. Count Nefaria, Superman, Rulk, Silver Surfer (two hands and on the handle rather than the head of the hammer).

Still, this one was done pretty casually.

Avatar image for deactivated-65397ac992998
    deactivated-65397ac992998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Outside of dream sequences, no. The only time Hulk’s grabbed Thor’s arm during a fight was in HLTBB which is complete PIS unless you think Thor’s an idiot who will just let himself be hit while he’s holding on to the weapon being used against him. Every fight Thor and Hulk have ever been in both against each other and against other characters is a direct rebuttal to that comic! It also opens a up two plot holes: 1: why hasn't someone tried to grab his arm and beat him with it, if it's really easy to beat him then why hasn't some other Asgardian Warrior tried that on him in a sparring match when he was much younger, weaker, and less experienced? And 2: If Hulk could easily do that then why hasn't he been able to do that again to Thor or any of the weapon wielding enemies who have been directly compared to Thor like Hercules or Executioner?

Avatar image for deactivated-65397ac992998
    deactivated-65397ac992998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: that was a DREAM SEQUENCE! If I dreamed about beating up a Navy SEAL does that mean I’ll win the fight IRL?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.