Follow

Homosexuality

Concept » Homosexuality appears in 889 issues.

Previously a rarity in comics, modern times have since seen an increase in openly gay characters to reflect a more modern and accurate portrayal of society.

House of Gay

• 62 results
    BST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By BST

When I read the whole "DC quickly fumbles to out-gay Marvel" stories, my first thought was that these are kind of weak attempts. Sorry; Northstar is kind of lame. And DC is probably going to make someone gay that is equally lame (please not Jimmy Olsen; that would be a total cop-out). Since these attempts are kind of lame and definitely not A-list, the next move needs to be a big one. In order to out-gay DC, Marvel needs to have An Event.

House of Gay. Which is followed by the Scarlet Witch whispering "no more heteros" and the world being left with a handful of straight people.

DC couldn't possibly top that. Unless, you know, they made Batman gay.

But seriously...I love Wally West. Love him as he was, love that he was a blue collar guy, love that he was dating/married a hot Asian chick. I say, make Wally gay. And because I also love Linda, turn Linda into Liam, sexy Asian American transman and partner of gay Wally West.

Avatar image for the_man_of_yesteryear
    The Man of Yesteryear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

perfect

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#2  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

#YOLO

BST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BST

Since people are actually reading this, I'd like to clarify that I am a queer lady myself and would seriously love to see more LGBTQ folks in comics. Batwoman is currently the pinnacle of queer awesomeness in comics (even though her current story line is dragging on and making me miserable) and I'd like to see that challenged.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By joshmightbe

@BST: Actually if Jimmy came out as gay I wouldn't be surprised and it would explain so much about the silver age. He'd be what they call a submissive considering how much abuse he allowed Supes to put him through and still follow him around like a puppy.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BatteredArmor

I laughed for a good 2 minutes when I read the title of this thread.

BST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BST

@joshmightbe: I know; I'm afraid it's going to be Jimmy Olsen. I'll be honest; I've only read a few things with him in it and I'm not a big enough Superman fan to have seen how he is portrayed in any movies or shows. I don't like the idea of a weak, mostly side-lined character being gay. That just seems like a cop-out. I want another gay hero. Or, and this is super risque, a gay villain. I hate that liked Kevin Smith's pseudo-gay Joker which probably makes that a really great idea...

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cattlebattle

I have to admit, Marvel making all the straight people disappear in the vein of House of M.....would be better than half the ideas they throw out there

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#8  Edited By Joygirl

Oh my... is this serious? I'm gay-ish myself, Batwoman is one of my favorite characters, etc., but really? Out-gaying the other company? Makes it all seem so cheap. I say we let it happen naturally -- NEW gay characters. No blasting old characters with the gaygun. And please no House of Gay (except maybe in a what if... that would actually be exceedingly awesome). I also like the idea of some trans characters but, again, they should be NEW.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By KnightRise

the number of parades and ribbons would be unfathomble!!!!!!!!! if thats the only way to get wally back into comics, i guess

@joshmightbe: it cant be jimmy, jimmy has already appeared few times in he new 52, and didio said it would be someone who hasnt. im stilll leaning toward plastic man

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#10  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Joygirl said:
    Oh my... is this serious? I'm gay-ish myself, Batwoman is one of my favorite characters, etc., but really? Out-gaying the other company? Makes it all seem so cheap. I say we let it happen naturally -- NEW gay characters. No blasting old characters with the gaygun. And please no House of Gay (except maybe in a what if... that would actually be exceedingly awesome). I also like the idea of some trans characters but, again, they should be NEW.
    These comic publishers never let it happen naturally.They don't know how.DC and Marvel are going to compete with gay and minority characters and stories until the wheels fall off.
    BST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BST

@cattlebattle: Deadpool and Spiderman would get an on-going series where they were secretly straight but had to pretend to be a married couple in order to infiltrate a new terrorist organization.

THIS STUFF JUST WRITES ITSELF!

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By joshmightbe

@KnightRise: I'm not saying it would be him just that it would explain so much about Jimmy

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By cattlebattle
    @BST said:

@cattlebattle: Deadpool and Spiderman would get an on-going series where they were secretly straight but had to pretend to be a married couple in order to infiltrate a new terrorist organization.

I would read it....
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Mercy_

@BST said:

I would read the hell out of this, actually.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BatteredArmor

@cattlebattle said:

@BST said:

I would read it....

Yeah it'd be like reading Stephen Colbert's totally straight sitcom Will and Grayson about two buddies who have sex with women and then describe it to each other in graphic detail, they also visit each other in the hospital when the other gets sick.....and shower together but don't worry it's not gay at all

@Joygirl said:

No blasting old characters with the gaygun.

I'm stealing this term

No Caption Provided
    BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By BatWatch

(laughs)

The House of Gay seems to already be in affect because I think I'm falling in love with you.

agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By agent9149

All i want personally is an original gay hero or villain that is detrimental to the series...no supporting charcter, no side character, no cameos, no co-ops, there own series

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Blood1991

I always liked Northstar, but you have a point; Marvel makes several gay characters so DC strikes by making Batwoman. Then Marvel shows the first gay kiss. DC says one of their big characters is coming out, so Marvel has the first gay marriage.

Its less about making good characters and more about cashing in about being more "progressive" than the other.

BST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BST

@Joygirl: I was being a bit snarky and over-the-top in a cringe-worthy way for sure. After I Googled "Marvel DC comics gay" or something like that and read the headlines/stories that popped, the whole idea of gay characters in comics did feel really cheap. I mean, the gay wedding was announced on The View? Really? Who was that even for?!

I really do like your idea of a What If? with more gay characters. cheesy and over-the-top would be cool but you know, DC has Earth 2 as an on-going title now so maybe some of the big names really could be gay for real........in an alternate universe.

Original queer characters would be nice, though. I guess I just don't hope that high for DC and Marvel. And though it'd be cool, I don't think we'll be seeing an established character at DC or Marvel go through a gender transition anytime soon. At least not the kind I'm talking about.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#20  Edited By Joygirl

I actually am working on it (you know how people say "Don't like it? Do something about it!"). The character from my handle (Joygirl) is an OC of mine who is like, completely gay. Though, in a Batwomanesque "has a personality that also happens to include being a lesbian". But as far as DC and Marvel go, they do seem to be dropping the ball (except for the aforementioned and obvious Batwoman).

zexion_armando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#21  Edited By zexion_armando

I want more Wiccan/Hulking.

And I hope Batwoman's current story fixes itself. It started out strong, then it just dragged... then she just had to do the cliche thing.

IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By IcePrince_X

@Agent9149 said:

All i want personally is an original gay hero or villain that is detrimental to the series...no supporting charcter, no side character, no cameos, no co-ops, there own series

The Angelus current bearer Danielle Baptiste, she is with her partner here, Finch

The True Angelus
    The True Angelus
    k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By k2

LMFAO win!

Redberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Redberry

It turns out to be Alan Scott. I don't know if I should be happy or sad. On the one hand, he's from an alternative universe instead of the main one, so it was a bit of a cop-out. On the other hand, he would be the leader of the new world. This would be the first time a gay man leading the team in a mainstream comic book.

deadpool6_6_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By deadpool6_6_6

This thread is hilarious.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Rumble Man

They are okay with gay but they are still scared at transexuals

BST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BST

@Rumble Man: Yeah, I'd seriously like to see some trans characters in the mainstream comics. Are there any...? It'd be neat to actively see a character change through time within a comic.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Rumble Man

@BST: or people with other orientations, In a world of superheroes humans should be able to intermingle with aliens and machines why limit to the boring same species?

Redberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Redberry

@BST said:

@Rumble Man: Yeah, I'd seriously like to see some trans characters in the mainstream comics. Are there any...? It'd be neat to actively see a character change through time within a comic.

Technically, Xavin is a male skrull who turns into a female human to be in a lesbian relationship with another alien.

deadpool6_6_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By deadpool6_6_6

@Redberry said:

@BST said:

Technically, Xavin is a male skrull who turns into a female human to be in a lesbian relationship with another alien.

Never heard of that idea.

Redberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Redberry

@deadpool6_6_6 said:

@Redberry said:

@BST said:

Never heard of that idea.

He/She is a character from Runaways.

BST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BST

@Redberry: I gotta be honest; I've never read Green Lantern anything so I had no clue who the heck that was which was really disappointing. I kind of thought it might be someone in the Earth 2 book, though. I was just hoping it was going to be Superman or the Flash. (One can only dream of a gay Batman...)

@Rumble Man: You comment reminds me of the Marvel character, Doop. Doop is probably the weirdest example of sexuality in comics. (Doop is a mysterious green blob that is bisexual, has had both men & women attracted to it, has been with people in relationships, has been attracted to objects, etc.)

BST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BST

Oh, yeah. I had forgotten about Xavin. I haven't actually read Runaways but I think I read whatever crossover they did with the Young Avengers. I used to be really into Hulkling/Wiccan but Children's Crusade dragged on a little too long for me. What are those characters doing now, anyway?

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34  Edited By InnerVenom123

Gay Batman would be the coolest gay person ever.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Mercy_

@BST: Pleaseeeeeeee tell me you've read Secret Six.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Rumble Man

@BST: We need more of that, rather than hetero aliens because we don't even know what they like

@InnerVenom123 said:

Gay Batman would be the coolest gay person ever.

OBJECTION, that character is midnighter (batman cannot be gay, where would middy go?)

he is already established as a boy lover though

Redberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Redberry

@BST said:

@Redberry: I gotta be honest; I've never read Green Lantern anything so I had no clue who the heck that was which was really disappointing. I kind of thought it might be someone in the Earth 2 book, though. I was just hoping it was going to be Superman or the Flash. (One can only dream of a gay Batman...)

@Rumble Man: You comment reminds me of the Marvel character, Doop. Doop is probably the weirdest example of sexuality in comics. (Doop is a mysterious green blob that is bisexual, has had both men & women attracted to it, has been with people in relationships, has been attracted to objects, etc.)

I really don't want a gay batman because people would make tons of pedophile jokes. That sad thing is some people actually believed in it. I was hoping for Wally, but now that I think about it, Alan Scott is good as well. He's the LEADER of the superheroes in Earth-2. Correct me if I'm wrong, he's the first gay leader in both DC and Marvel universe. That in itself is very groundbreaking. Plus, James has Alan Scott shows affection for his boyfriend, and not one of those abstinent gays we're so used to in the media.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Rumble Man

@Redberry: UHH NO ,middy and apollo are better examples (they don't follow any stereotypes and they have a family)

BST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BST

@InnerVenom123: I feel like the only way gay Batman would go is kitschy (like 60s Batman, I suppose) and that wouldn't be doing Batman justice. I REALLY don't like the out-of-context stuff that portrays Batman as being into young boys and then having that associated with being gay. That would be horrible. Gay Batman would need to be Serious Gay Batman; Batman That Just Happens To Date Men.

Redberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Redberry

@Rumble Man said:

@Redberry: UHH NO ,middy and apollo are better examples (they don't follow any stereotypes and they have a family)

No what? What are you referring to?

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Rumble Man

@Redberry: your comment about scott being the alpha gay leader in comics ( leading gay dude)

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42  Edited By InnerVenom123

@BST said:

@InnerVenom123: Gay Batman would need to be Serious Gay Batman; Batman That Just Happens To Date Men.

Well, duh.

Redberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Redberry

@Rumble Man said:

@Redberry: your comment about scott being the alpha gay leader in comics ( leading gay dude)

I mean it in a sense that they're the leader who every looks up to for directions and advices, who is the heart of the group like Jammie Maddrox in the X-factor, Cyclops for the X-men, and Captain America for the Avengers. In the Authority, the leader was Jenny. What you're referring to is a leading man, not a leader.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#44  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@Mercy_ said:

Let me guess. You're referencing this, aren't you?

No Caption Provided

Redberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Redberry

@JediXMan said:

@Mercy_ said:

Let me guess. You're referencing this, aren't you?

No Caption Provided

Kinda creep me out. He looks like some kind of pervert.

BST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BST

@Mercy_: I actually have not.

@JediXMan: Oh, man. What was the context there...? Is this Gail Simone writing this?

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#47  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@Redberry:

Hey! That's Ragdoll you're talking about!

@BST said:

@JediXMan: Oh, man. What was the context there...? Is this Gail Simone writing this?

Yeah, it was Gail Simone. Ragdoll and the rest of the Six were kind of "helping out" in Gotham after Bruce died (without being asked). Ragdoll was basically just screwing around having fun.

BST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By BST

@JediXMan: I've been meaning to read more of Gail Simone's stuff; haven't gotten around to Secret Six yet. I'll have to check it out.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Mercy_

@JediXMan: Not referencing anything specifically, but I recommend it to everybody who's a fan of seeing organic and amazingly written LGBT portrayals in comics.

Redberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Redberry

@Mercy_ said:

@JediXMan: Not referencing anything specifically, but I recommend it to everybody who's a fan of seeing organic and amazingly written LGBT portrayals in comics.

I also like Peter David's portrayal of Rictor and Shatterstar. If only Shatterstar wasn't such a slut...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.