Follow

Hercules

Character » Hercules appears in 1962 issues.

One of six Olympian sons of Zeus, Hercules was born the savior of the Gods and mankind. Known as the Prince of Power, Hercules is one of the strongest beings in existence, an Olympian God and a modern superhero recognized throughout the world for his might. He has been a champion of mankind since ancient times and continues to defend the world in the modern age - most frequently as a member of the Avengers.

Would Apollo be a good rival/antagonist for Hercules?

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By seekquaze

Ares has traditionally fulfilled the role of Hercules's arch-nemesis.  Both have a bloodlust, love of battle, fierce warrior nature, preference for direct confrontations and brute force in combat.  Both were bred to be the champion of Olympus and via for Zeus's favor.  Hercules usually has a better moral compass and knows when to draw the line in his lust for battle.  Ares usually does not.  Despite this, I've always found Ares a bit lacking.  He usually challenges Hercules to direct battle pitting his own strength and rage against Herc.  We all know how well that turns out.  

What about Apollo though?  Would he make a better rival?  Apollo is a god more associated with intellect, law and civilization compared to impulsive, chaotic and more savage Hercules.  Apollo fights from a distance using arrows and solar blasts.  Hercules prefers up close and personal with his fists.  Apollo was one of the most popular gods in the ancient world equal to or greater than Hercules.  Nowadays Apollo is mostly forgotten or regulated to history texts compare to Herc who is more popular than ever.  At the same time both share the typical Olympian virtues/vices of arrogance and lust.

Could a good story be written of Apollo being something of an antagonist for Hercules.  I don't seem him as an outright villain, but a rival of sorts.  Apollo is miffed at being overlooked in modern times for someone he sees a clown.  He could be seeking the approval of Zeus by proving his superiority over Hercules.  Maybe Apollo was once the most favored son and now seeks to regain his status.  He could set up contests where he tries to either embarrass Hercules or prove the superiority of his mind over Herc's muscle.  I wouldn't see it as a hate-hate relationship like that between Ares and Hercules.  I would see it more of typically sibling rivalry.  They get into fights that look fierce to outsiders, but is more like brotherly wrestling.  Deep down they would still care for each other (to some degree) and not want any permanent damage done.  And could set apart their rivalry when need be.

Another aspect is direct battle between the two.  IIRC, Apollo is the only god Hercules was not given a win over.  Herc defeated a river god, Ares, Hades, and nearly beat Poseidon.  Apollo was the only god Hercules was not given a victory over due to Zeus breaking it up.  In one myth, in the first Olympic games Apollo defeated Ares in a boxing match.  So with the myths being pretty much true in Marvel, would anybody find a contest between the two worth reading about?

thoughts?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By dernman

Except for young Hercules the Tv series Apollo is seen as a good god because he is the god of the sun, healing, medicine, truth, and prophecy.

CodeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By CodeSaint

Would be a nice idea,better than Ares,Apollo has something more in his powers and intelligence to fight Herc.Ares always use brute strenght for everything,and this never works against Hercules.Apollo could be used as an Loki figure to Herc an rival that uses brains and other powers against his rival.Apollo is even weaker than Ares psycally but his other powers complete for it,he even said in Fall of an Avenger that his full powers would engulf the world.However I see Athena as more scheming counter part to Herc and more of an Loki analogue cause her plans always are made following her own will not the other gods or humans.Apollo is a good idea cause he was worshipped second only to Zeus in ancient Greece.If there's one who would be jealous of Zeus predilection to Herc in Marvel it would be Apollo.I also would like too see him against Sentry it would be intersting to see the Sun God against him.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By PowerHerc

I'd check it out and probably enjoy it, too, as long as Marvel was able to keep their fight in the realm of rivalry and did'nt make Apollo a villain (He's the God of Light and Knowledge, for god sake). Though Apollo is nowhere near Hercules in strength (and possibly stamina, too), his comparable durability and archery prowess (compared to Herc) added to his definite advantage in energy manipulation could make for an interesting bout.

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By seekquaze
    @PowerHerc: It is true Apollo is nowhere near Hercules in strength.  However, I think it would be a good opportunity to showcase something that is rarely seen in comics except with your street-level martial artists...a case of skill holding its own against strength.  I'm not saying Apollo would win or anything, but would be nice to see that some of the other gods did know how to fight.  Otherwise I could see why Hercules was so bored on Olympus.  For a guy who values his skills in wrestling as much as his strength there is not challenge for him on Olympus.  Regarding Apollo's energy powers I think they would be interesting because for once Hercules could not rely on his innate toughness to win him through.  I don't think he should be capable of shrugging off Apollo's solar blasts, or arrows easily. 
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PowerHerc

@seekquaze: I agree that Hercules would have to come up with something better than just toughness to defeat Apollo due to Apollo's solar powers and archery skillls, but Apollo would be at leat equally hard-pressed to last against Hercules on a physical level. Apollo should be a skilled warrior (he is in the myths - which Marvel seems to mostly recognize), but Hercules has fought and defeated every manner of titan, giant, monster, demon, villain, etc. over the ages while Apollo has largely lived a godly life of luxury. I think the skill and experience factors both favor Hercules. Clearly, both Hercules and Apollo each have their own advantages in a battle against each other but they could still have a very good battle if each could exploit his advantages.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By z3ro180
    @PowerHerc: if they square off appolo would last 3 maybe 4 seconds.
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PowerHerc

@Z3RO180 said:

@PowerHerc: if they square off appolo would last 3 maybe 4 seconds.

I agree. If Apollo didn't use any of his godly solar powers, Hercules would beat him down in 3 or 4 seconds.

If Apollo did use stated powers, then it would take Hercules maybe 15 or 20 minutes to finish him

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By seekquaze

@PowerHerc:

I think it depends on how good of a fighter Apollos is portrayed as. I could see him lasting a few minutes against Hercules without any of his solar powers. With them I could see him actually beating Hercules closet to fifty percent of the time.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By fodigg

Why did my mind immediately go to Hercules and wildstorm Apollo slashfic?

Edit: Also, look at that Apollo costume. It's awesome. It's instantly iconic. It's perfect. I weep for the new crappy Apollo/Midnighter costumes in the DC revamp.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PowerHerc

@seekquaze said:

@PowerHerc:

I think it depends on how good of a fighter Apollos is portrayed as. I could see him lasting a few minutes against Hercules without any of his solar powers. With them I could see him actually beating Hercules closet to fifty percent of the time.

Even with his solar powers I don't think he could win half the time against Hercules. Maybe 20% at best.

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By seekquaze

@PowerHerc said:

@seekquaze said:

@PowerHerc:

Even with his solar powers I don't think he could win half the time against Hercules. Maybe 20% at best.

The issue I would have with that is Apollo is supposed to be one of the more powerful gods and for all intents and purposes a walking sun. To me his solar powers should pretty much equal what Hercules can do in strength or at least be close to it. There was a time when Pluto could give Thor a good fight and with his other powers stand a good chance at winning. Nowadays he often comes across as a straight punching bag. We saw what Pak did to Neptune. If even when using other powers Hercules is still so far above everyone except Zeus then it is no wonder Herc was bored out of his mind on Olympus. For a guy who values his fighting skills and battle to have no one who can even give him a decent challenge would have to be close to puragtory for him. Thor at least has the nine worlds to explore and several beings who can challenge him on a regular basis to put up a good fight. Herc has zero.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PowerHerc

@seekquaze said:

@PowerHerc said:

@seekquaze said:

@PowerHerc:

The issue I would have with that is Apollo is supposed to be one of the more powerful gods and for all intents and purposes a walking sun. To me his solar powers should pretty much equal what Hercules can do in strength or at least be close to it. There was a time when Pluto could give Thor a good fight and with his other powers stand a good chance at winning. Nowadays he often comes across as a straight punching bag. We saw what Pak did to Neptune. If even when using other powers Hercules is still so far above everyone except Zeus then it is no wonder Herc was bored out of his mind on Olympus. For a guy who values his fighting skills and battle to have no one who can even give him a decent challenge would have to be close to puragtory for him. Thor at least has the nine worlds to explore and several beings who can challenge him on a regular basis to put up a good fight. Herc has zero.

Good points.

I, too, think Hercules required more challenges than Olympus could present which lead him to seek the thrill of battle anywhere and everywhere he could.

westy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By westy206

I love Herc but I think I'd like the idea of Apollo winning (even in fisticuffs) with speed and accurate hits and maybe they show off some powers we don't know he has(light speed dashes). Then afterwards Hercules decides he still needs to better him self and grows further as a character.

D3athstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By D3athstroke

Apollo should be approaching skyfather Level and be around Thanos imo.
    He was confident that he stood chance against Athena who had Thunderbolts of Zeus.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I'd check it out and probably enjoy it, too, as long as Marvel was able to keep their fight in the realm of rivalry and did'nt make Apollo a villain (He's the God of Light and Knowledge, for god sake). Though Apollo is nowhere near Hercules in strength (and possibly stamina, too), his comparable durability and archery prowess (compared to Herc) added to his definite advantage in energy manipulation could make for an interesting bout.

Yeah This

by PowerHerc

(+)

Avatar image for New_World_Order
    New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah This

by PowerHerc

(+)

This.

NostalgiaTrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seekquaze:

So this is rather interesting, as in most myths, Chiron taught Hercules... but the question that needs to be asked is... who taught Chiron? And the answer to that is Apollo. The god of the sun took Chiron as his son and raised him to be better than his nature as a centaur. He taught him music, archery, prophecy, and medicine.

I have little doubt that Apollo could subdue a demi-god like Hercules.

LeeSensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nostalgiatrip: Hercules isn’t a demigod. He’s a full god and the most powerful of Zeus’ sons.

Avatar image for asgardianweapon
    asgardianweapon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Well they have menaged to tie in the myths once. In the comics ths wouldn´t work all that much without some changes, because the gods of olympus were kind of lazily set up in the comics but it could be interesting
    Apollo with the revamp that he recently got maybe could be as strong or around the same strength and challenge Herc in different ways

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.