Follow

Hercules

Character » Hercules appears in 1962 issues.

One of six Olympian sons of Zeus, Hercules was born the savior of the Gods and mankind. Known as the Prince of Power, Hercules is one of the strongest beings in existence, an Olympian God and a modern superhero recognized throughout the world for his might. He has been a champion of mankind since ancient times and continues to defend the world in the modern age - most frequently as a member of the Avengers.

The problems with a Hercules film

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Since two Hercules films came out this year, I began to wonder more about the possibility of a live-action Hercules film and realized any such film has four major problems it would have to overcome.

1. He would have to separate himself from his mythological counterpart.

Marvel's Hercules is closer to his mythological counterpart than Thor. Thor has blonde hair, space armor, and a futuristic city. Hercules is dressed sort of what the general public thinks ancient Greece was like and Olympus is all Greek temples. The Olympians are also considered more as "gods" in popular culture than the Asgardians. So any film would have to somehow balance between keeping true to the source material while not having Herc be mythological Hercules. He would have be uniquely Marvel.

2. Hercules would have to be separated from Steve Reeves.

Marvel's Hercules look-wise is almost identical to Steve Reeves. He is still one of the most famous versions of Hercules. Any Marvel Hercules' film would have to separate itself from Steve Reeves without feeling like it was either a knock off, parody, or any other way related to it.

3. He would have to be something other than a second-string strongman.

Comic Hercules has sometimes suffered from being a second-string strongman behind Thor and Hulk. Each is about as strong as he is and uniquely Marvel. Each has established themselves in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Hercules has to fit into the films universe, or any other with those two, without coming off as redundant.

4. The greatest challenge...overcome the string of b-grade Hercules films that have tainted his image in the past.

Films based on Greek myth and Hercules specifically have suffered from being either b-grade or badly written. The original Steve Reeves' films are not too bad, but many of the follow ups leave something to be desired. Lou Ferrigno starred in a couple of incredibly cheesy, yet surprisingly watchable, films in the eighties. Hercules: TLJ was fun, but again campy. The Hercules character has appeared in a few minor roles in other questionable films ranging from made for t.v. specials or new classics (extreme sarcasm) like Immortals. This year saw two Hercules films. The heavily negatively reviewed film The Legend of Hercules and the better received yet still Hercules, which is one of the better if not Hercules film since the Steve Reeves original. While Marvel's Hercules sometimes plays the part of the buffoon and a film can be a comedy I don't think it would be a good idea for it to be too much of a comedy because people would not want to go to see it. B-films tend to have mixed results at the box office.

thoughts?

westy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@seekquaze:

1) I don't think this would be a problem, think Hancock. Have Hercules just a lazy dude in modern times fairly up to date with modern things like he is in the comics, waiting for a challenge.

2) The majority of the MCU target fanbase probably wont know who Steve Reeves is.

3) I think this a slightly silly one (no offence) but Hercules is more of a fighter/grappler/wrestler than the others. Also character is more important than powers in my opinion.

4) Very good point but people seem to trust the Marvel Logo at the moment and maybe that and an A-list actor might bring people on side.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@seekquaze:

I can see your points but I think all could easily be overcome, especially the Steve Reeves issue.

thedude4731

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By thedude4731

I don't agree any of the first comment...sorry...the second comment by westey206 made all very good points and the Hancock suggestion was something i had not thought of, but sounds really cool.

But to suggest that Marvel should not put any comedy into a Marvel movie or character would suggest to me that you have not been paying attention to whats been trending. Look at GOTG and Iron Man lots of comedy and heart, both equaling huge financial success. Even in cartoons you can see how comedy is playing a most important role. Great cartoons like Young Justice and Avengers Earths Mightiest Heroes could not find a place on TV but cartoons like Teen Titian Go, TMNT and Ultimate Spiderman are flourishing... All comedy.

If Marvel ever decided to put Herc on the big screen, I'm very confident they would knock it out of the park.

For me the Rocks Hercules fell short in that he just talked to damn much and it wasn't funny, interesting or heartfelt. Just bad acting with a weak cast (besides McShane).

I really like westy206 idea with Hancock type character but if not that, then make him an Arnold Conan the Barbarian or The Mountain GOT type character... Not alot of talking, just smashing heads and taking names.

Just my thoughts.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By PowerHerc

Hercules as a "The Mountain"-type character from Game of Thrones makes sense but I'd want Herc's 616 fun-loving personality mixed in.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.