Follow

Hercules

Character » Hercules appears in 1962 issues.

One of six Olympian sons of Zeus, Hercules was born the savior of the Gods and mankind. Known as the Prince of Power, Hercules is one of the strongest beings in existence, an Olympian God and a modern superhero recognized throughout the world for his might. He has been a champion of mankind since ancient times and continues to defend the world in the modern age - most frequently as a member of the Avengers.

In what way is Hercules better than Thor?

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Hercules is superior to Thor in hand to hand combat.

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
    deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Hercules is superior to Thor in hand to hand combat.

This

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#253  Edited By Wolfrazer

The beard.

themadsurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#254  Edited By themadsurfer

Hercules is superior to Thor in H2H (Slightly) and longevity.

Strength:they're equals.

Durability blunt force equals probably.

Durability(piercing objects) they are equals.Thor is Bullet proof Period.

Durability (energy projection) Thor by a large margin actually.

Stamina probably equal if not Thor has this.

Speed goes to Thor(at least microsecond) but he loves to brawl a lot.

Natural powers goes to Thor(Lightning, winds, god-blast)

LeeSensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255  Edited By LeeSensei

Wow. This thread is pretty old now. Anyways. Thor is better than Hercules in most ways. Hercules is his equal in strength, stamina and maybe durability and a slightly more skilled fighter, but that's it. In the comic books that is. The myths on the other hand are pretty much the opposite.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Hercules is superior to Thor in:

• Strength
    • Fighting skills
    • Drinking ability
    • Getting women
    • Stamina
    • Durability
    • Longevity
    • Sense of humor

And that's just to name a few.

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Strength
    • Fighting skills
    • Drinking ability
    • Getting women
    • Stamina
    • Durability
    • Longevity
    • Sense of humor

I actually remember your post on the first couple of pages and I still agree with you to this day.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tikhunt said:

@powerherc said:

• Strength
    • Fighting skills
    • Drinking ability
    • Getting women
    • Stamina
    • Durability
    • Longevity
    • Sense of humor

I actually remember your post on the first couple of pages and I still agree with you to this day.

No kidding? Thanks! :D

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259  Edited By seekquaze

• Strength
    • Fighting skills
    • Drinking ability
    • Getting women
    • Stamina
    • Durability
    • Longevity
    • Sense of humor

I have to disagree with strength and stamina. I have never seen anything in the comics that portrays Hercule as being greater than Thor in either of these areas. He has better fighting skills at unarmed combat, but I seriously doubt armed combat. Durability seems to be iffy. Lately, Olympians have been portrayed with a better healing factor than Asgardians. Women I agree to a point. Thor has often been shown to be able to get women, but chooses not to. I do agree with humor.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260  Edited By MakkyD

@powerherc:

I'm surprised at the people who doubt your claims of Thor not being immortal. The current Thor title often revolves around Old Thor fighting "past his prime. It's even a major factor in the book!

Though now that I look at it, this thread was probably made before it...

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

he should be able to give THOR a hard time.

Avatar image for noteworthington
    Noteworthington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262  Edited By Noteworthington

• Strength
    • Fighting skills
    • Drinking ability
    • Getting women
    • Stamina
    • Durability
    • Longevity
    • Sense of humor

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263  Edited By bigcimmerian

The ways in which Hercules is better than Thor:

1. Strength - Herc is stronger, but not by a lot.

2. Fighting skill - Herc is a better hand-to-hand fighter. Thor even admitted this.

3. Durablity & Stamina - Hercules is a true immortal; he never ages/weakens with the passage of time. Thor will/does.

4. Charm - Herc gets more chicks than anyone in the MU. Including Thor.

Whatever Thor canst do, Hercules canst accomplish more mightily!

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@powerherc said:

2. Fighting skill - Herc is a better hand-to-hand fighter. Thor even admitted this.

3. Durablity & Stamina - Hercules is a true immortal; he never ages/weakens with the passage of time. Thor will/does.

Whatever Thor canst do, Hercules canst accomplish more mightily!

Hah! Yes! Of course!

I do remember Hercules saying that. :D

darkbeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hercules is superior in strength by a tiny bit,h2h and personality,to me he's more likable.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266  Edited By bigcimmerian

@darkbeam said:

Hercules is superior in strength by a tiny bit,h2h and personality,to me he's more likable.

My favorite Marvel superhero is Thor, but I like Hercules more. Is that even possible? lol

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkbeam said:

My favorite Marvel superhero is Thor, but I like Hercules more. Is that even possible? lol

Lol!

I love this post!

westy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hercules is a better shot than Thor as he has perfect aim. He is better in unarmed combat. Hercules is a true immortal. Hercules is the ultimate womaniser of Marvel. Thor has lightning. Thor can fly because he wields a magic hammer. I don't think we should be able to bring items in for why one is better than the other, so now neither can fly. More or less everything else is equal.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

5. Got that sexy Greek Man Tan

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@westy206 said:

Hercules is a better shot than Thor as he has perfect aim. He is better in unarmed combat. Hercules is a true immortal. Hercules is the ultimate womaniser of Marvel. Thor has lightning. Thor can fly because he wields a magic hammer. I don't think we should be able to bring items in for why one is better than the other, so now neither can fly. More or less everything else is equal.

I don't recall Thor ever using a bow and arrow so I do not think we can say he has perfect aim. Hercules's immortality is little different from the Asgardians. Both live so long it is hard to tell. The other races of the nine worlds like trolls and giants have a lifespan in thousands of years at least. The Apples of Idunn are said to grant immortality so do the apples merely increase the Asgardian life for much longer than the other inhabitants or are they truly ageless? Thor has resisted attempts to age him in the past.

Thor's hammer is as much a part of him as Dionysus' wine, Zeus' thunderbolts, Odin's spear, Captain America's shield, Excalibur for King Arthur, etc. It is a symbol of his power and for all intents and purposes an extension of him. So in any discussion involving Thor it should be brought in. Whenever someone pictures Thor the hammer is always included. Also, some would dispute the amount Thor relies on the hammer to fly. In some stories Thor has been shown as hovering without twirling or riding the hammer.

Avatar image for youmessinwithme
    youmessinwithme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273  Edited By youmessinwithme

Herc is stated to be the better fighter by Thor in hand to hand combat. but Thor has better feats out side of that one competition.

their strength is equal.

and Thor also has perfect/super aim to hit fast moving objects in deep space.

Avatar image for youmessinwithme
    youmessinwithme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Strength
    • Fighting skills
    • Drinking ability
    • Getting women
    • Stamina
    • Durability
    • Longevity
    • Sense of humor

are the only ones that there is even a question about.

Olympians are supposed to be longer lived than asgardians but Thor has been shown to be completely unaged by time manipulation is some cases. and Thor is half elder god so his physiology is different and he's the sun of a true immortal.

fighting skills Thor probably has better feats but Thor admits Herc is slightly better at hand to hand combat. not armed combat.

westy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275  Edited By westy206

@seekquaze:

I've never seen Thor fly when not holding the hammer so and i'm pretty sure it's been mentioned in the comics that he needs it.

They must eat the apples ever so often for this immortality to continue i believe. Asgardians are destined to die this is a sign of them not being immortal.

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@westy206 said:

@seekquaze:

I've never seen Thor fly when not holding the hammer so and i'm pretty sure it's been mentioned in the comics that he needs it.

They must eat the apples ever so often for this immortality to continue i believe. Asgardians are destined to die this is a sign of them not being immortal.

The thing is if Thor's weather powers are innate then his wind control would be as well which would allow him to fly. This is the old question of how much of the hammer serves as a channel for his own power. It is not a stretch to picture him flying without it and view it as an undeveloped power.

We know the apples have to be eaten every once in a while, but we do not know how often. Etri the Dwarf first forged Mjolnir a thousand years ago or more and is still alive. Same with some of the older giants like Utgard-Loki. And if dying itself is a sign of not being immortal than every god in Marvel is mortal. We have seen Zeus, Ares, and Hera all die. Whether or not Ragnarok is the true end of the Norse gods or an endless cycle has yet to be explained.

LeeSensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@westy206 said:

@seekquaze:

The thing is if Thor's weather powers are innate then his wind control would be as well which would allow him to fly. This is the old question of how much of the hammer serves as a channel for his own power. It is not a stretch to picture him flying without it and view it as an undeveloped power.

We know the apples have to be eaten every once in a while, but we do not know how often. Etri the Dwarf first forged Mjolnir a thousand years ago or more and is still alive. Same with some of the older giants like Utgard-Loki. And if dying itself is a sign of not being immortal than every god in Marvel is mortal. We have seen Zeus, Ares, and Hera all die. Whether or not Ragnarok is the true end of the Norse gods or an endless cycle has yet to be explained.

The true Gods of the MU IMO are guys like Galactus, Eternity, Infinity and Eon.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278  Edited By PowerHerc
    seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think there is room to say that the cosmic entities and local guys like the Olympians are both gods. Several real-world mythologies and fantasy universes have an older, more powerful set of gods who may have created the universe and form the basic structures, but are either so abstract or aloof that they do not involve themselves with mortal affairs. Praying to them is worthless assuming they even know or acknowledge mortals are real. Then there is a younger group of gods who tend to run the mortal world and respond to prayers. Greek mythology Zeus was the king of the gods, but older gods like Nyx were just as powerful if not more so and did not necessarily obey him. Yet they did not concern themselves with mortal affairs. Izanagi of Japan is regarded as the father of the gods. Yet he was a seventh generation Kami. The older ones are more abstract concepts. Mortal Kombat has the Elder Gods who created the realms but are unconcerned with what goes on within them unless it is a direct threat to them. Raiden was the leader of Earth's gods and as far as Earth's warriors were concerned the top god. DBZ has the Supreme Kai who oversees both the universes of the living and the dead. Grank Kais oversee one or the other. Lesser kais oversee galaxies and then you have planetary guardians. The Supreme Kai comes off as so aloof that a tyrant who blows up planets for fun like Frieza is beneath his concern.

Same concept for Marvel. What we would consider "true gods" are virtually irrelevant to humans. They maintain the basic structure of the universe and do influence mortals to some degree, but they do not answer prayers or care about them. Gods like Olympians are more likely to answer prayers and be able to help you.

LeeSensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280  Edited By LeeSensei

@leesensei said:

I think there is room to say that the cosmic entities and local guys like the Olympians are both gods. Several real-world mythologies and fantasy universes have an older, more powerful set of gods who may have created the universe and form the basic structures, but are either so abstract or aloof that they do not involve themselves with mortal affairs. Praying to them is worthless assuming they even know or acknowledge mortals are real. Then there is a younger group of gods who tend to run the mortal world and respond to prayers. Greek mythology Zeus was the king of the gods, but older gods like Nyx were just as powerful if not more so and did not necessarily obey him. Yet they did not concern themselves with mortal affairs. Izanagi of Japan is regarded as the father of the gods. Yet he was a seventh generation Kami. The older ones are more abstract concepts. Mortal Kombat has the Elder Gods who created the realms but are unconcerned with what goes on within them unless it is a direct threat to them. Raiden was the leader of Earth's gods and as far as Earth's warriors were concerned the top god. DBZ has the Supreme Kai who oversees both the universes of the living and the dead. Grank Kais oversee one or the other. Lesser kais oversee galaxies and then you have planetary guardians. The Supreme Kai comes off as so aloof that a tyrant who blows up planets for fun like Frieza is beneath his concern.

Same concept for Marvel. What we would consider "true gods" are virtually irrelevant to humans. They maintain the basic structure of the universe and do influence mortals to some degree, but they do not answer prayers or care about them. Gods like Olympians are more likely to answer prayers and be able to help you.

That depends on what you consider a true God. In one comic Galactus says this.

"Sphinx! You share the folly of all your lowly species. You believe that power itself makes one a God! But even Galactus, to whom all is possible, even Galactus whose every passing whim becomes reality — even Galactus is no God."

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That depends on what you consider a true God. In one comic Galactus says this.

"Sphinx! You share the folly of all your lowly species. You believe that power itself makes one a God! But even Galactus, to whom all is possible, even Galactus whose every passing whim becomes reality — even Galactus is no God."

I am familiar with that quote. I have used it myself in cases where people try to lump Asgardians and Olympians into the same category as other superpowered beings or extradimensional aliens.

I was basing my response off of your quote and definition of godhood. You are the one who stated that you considered Galactus and the to other abstracts/cosmic entities to be the true gods of the MU. To me, that indicated you do not consider Hercules, Thor or other gods "true gods." My response was that there is room for both lesser and greater gods. Galactus himself meets many of the criteria for godhood: mythic origin, great power, immortaility, connection/embodiment of a basic function of the universe, worship, etc. In Marvel, gods are at least partially defined by a magical/divine essence that Galactus lacks and so he does not consider himself a "true god." Mystical entities like the Vishanti, Dormammu and cosmic abstracts like Death and Eternity are sometimes called gods and treated as such. Yet they often come across as something that is beyond the conventional physical gods like Hercules.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread is getting a bit derailed.

Thunderbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283  Edited By Thunderbrand

Stumbled into a dead thread and all but yeah, whatever. Hercules is physically stronger and a better H2H fighter than Thor, these are Marvel-universal facts.

@sovereign_vance: People are getting personal because you're acting like a troll. Much of the things you say don't even make sense, you just argue for the sake of argument. You're questioning well known facts and you probably don't even read comic books.

azden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sovereign_vance : is it just me or have you given no proof that Herc isn't better than thor? to me herc does have some equal or better feats. When it comes to strength herc held up the weight of the heavens for an extended period of time. The weight of the heavens is said to be so much that it would make the weight of the world feel as if it was nearly nothing. and with durability he is EXTREMELY durable, this is where thor is pretty much the same in my opinion. but stamina is where herc wins again for me because he does not produce any lactic acid of any kind so his muscles never tire and he can keep going forever, thor has been shown to be tired after many fights.

Bezza1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In mythology, Thor's greatest strength feat is lifting one leg a cat which was the midgard serpent in disguise. Hercules however tricked Atlas and held the heavens for a brief period, which as a strength feat is surely unsurpassed! So based on that logic, Herc SHOULD be stronger, even if the comics don't show that to be the case with their versions of these characters.

Thor also admitted that Herc has the edge in H2H.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.