Follow

Hercules

Character » Hercules appears in 1962 issues.

One of six Olympian sons of Zeus, Hercules was born the savior of the Gods and mankind. Known as the Prince of Power, Hercules is one of the strongest beings in existence, an Olympian God and a modern superhero recognized throughout the world for his might. He has been a champion of mankind since ancient times and continues to defend the world in the modern age - most frequently as a member of the Avengers.

Golden Mace

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By seekquaze

How skilled would you say Hercules is with his golden mace? He is a great warrior with it, but is he a better warrior without it. He hardly uses it in battle unless he is facing someone with a weapon that can hurt him. In his first battle with Thor he used it at first only to discard it mid battle. In Thor: Blood Oath, Thor stated Hercules is slightly his better in h2h. Since Hercules fights unarmed almost all the time and has to rely on that and his strength it makes sense. That is what he is used to compared to Thor who almost always uses his hammer backed up by lighting. At the same time, is the reverse true. Is it reasonable to think Thor is slightly better at fighting with a mace or war club? He does use one all the time?

Lion_Heart22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Thor is most definitely better at fighting with an object the likes of war hammers, clubs or maces, since he's been wielding Mjolnir into every battle since times immemorial.
    However Hercules is no slouch, I think Herc can prove to be Thor's competition even in armed combat. In addition to his Golden Adamantine Mace, Herc is also an expert archer who could give Hawkeye a run for his money and is well versed in other ancient weaponry, although he's always preferred unarmed combat.

In regards to h2h, Heracles is most definitely the superior force. He possesses supreme physical strength and invulnerability, but doesn't have other powers such as elemental control or flight. This makes him a far more experienced hand to hand fighter by necessity. He is practically the patron god of wrestling and pankratos which is an ancient greek martial art, and has had a lifetime to both practice and learn other things.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Hercules is highly skilled with a multitude of weapons including, and maybe particularly, his Golden Mace. I would say Thor, by virtue of his almost constant use of his hammer, would definitely be more proficient in the use of war hammers, clubs or maces. Conversely, I would also say Hercules is the better hand-to-hand combatant due to him having more of a background in unarmed combat (ancient Greek wrestling, boxing and Pankration) than Thor and the fact that he rarely relies on any weapon whatsoever, instead preferring to use his fists.

It's my opinion that the reason Stan Lee and Jack Kirby initially gave Hercules his mace was to offset Thor's hammer, Mjolnir, by giving Hercules an indestructible weapon of his own. The mace, unlike Mjolnir, had no extra powers imbued within it and therefore was nothing more than a blunt-force weapon. Since it lacks any enchantment, energy projecting abilities or teleportation capability, the mace doesn't add much to any situation or story. Considering the strength and durability of Hercules' body and fists, using a simple blunt-force weapon such as the Golden Mace is often redundant and unnecessary. Herc's own natural physical power is almost always enough to meet any foe or threat. I guess using the mace to try to offset Thor's hammer, Typhon's axe or some other similar weapon or threat makes sense, though.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By cameron83

Hercules is highly skilled with a multitude of weapons including, and maybe particularly, his Golden Mace. I would say Thor, by virtue of his almost constant use of his hammer, would definitely be more proficient in the use of war hammers, clubs or maces. Conversely, I would also say Hercules is the better hand-to-hand combatant due to him having more of a background in unarmed combat (ancient Greek wrestling, boxing and Pankration) than Thor and the fact that he rarely relies on any weapon whatsoever, instead preferring to use his fists.

It's my opinion that the reason Stan Lee and Jack Kirby initially gave Hercules his mace was to offset Thor's hammer, Mjolnir, by giving Hercules an indestructible weapon of his own. The mace, unlike Mjolnir, had no extra powers imbued within it and therefore was nothing more than a blunt-force weapon. Since it lacks any enchantment, energy projecting abilities or teleportation capability, the mace doesn't add much to any situation or story. Considering the strength and durability of Hercules' body and fists, using a simple blunt-force weapon such as the Golden Mace is often redundant and unnecessary. Herc's own natural physical power is almost always enough to meet any foe or threat. I guess using the mace to try to offset Thor's hammer, Typhon's axe or some other similar weapon or threat makes sense, though.

this basically

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a nice replica of Herc's mace:

No Caption Provided

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@powerherc: Sorry for bumping this but I was wondering if anyone thought that energy absorption attributes should be given to the mace. I think it would make a lot of sense for Hercules' character as it would force people to engage him in hand to hand combat. I think for Hercules he would see it as a much more useful weapon than before but also allows for him to get rid of it temporarily if he was going up against someone who was purely a physical combatant such as Thing or Hulk.

I was also thinking that maybe it could have the ability to transport him to Olympus and back to a specific point on earth meaning that he doesn't need someone with magical abilities to send him there.

LeeSensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LeeSensei

@tikhunt said:

@powerherc: Sorry for bumping this but I was wondering if anyone thought that energy absorption attributes should be given to the mace. I think it would make a lot of sense for Hercules' character as it would force people to engage him in hand to hand combat. I think for Hercules he would see it as a much more useful weapon than before but also allows for him to get rid of it temporarily if he was going up against someone who was purely a physical combatant such as Thing or Hulk.

I was also thinking that maybe it could have the ability to transport him to Olympus and back to a specific point on earth meaning that he doesn't need someone with magical abilities to send him there.

I'd like that. I think it would be a good ability for the mace. Teleportation would be a good power to give him too.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tikhunt said:

I do like your idea and I like it for the same reasons you give. Thanks for posting this idea.

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By seekquaze

@tikhunt said:

I can get behind this especially the teleportation. I've always felt it was kind of sad that Hercules has to bum rides from people. Hercules already has enough image problems of being a frat boy what with living at home, sleeping with everyone, and his general goofiness. That last thing he needs is to be seen trying to take his parents' or brothers' car. "Yo Apollo, uhh...can I borrow the chariot. There is this party in Asgard" or "Dad, can you zap me to the moon. I need to fight off an alien invasion." (wink)

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PowerHerc

@tikhunt said:

I can get behind this especially the teleportation. I've always felt it was kind of sad that Hercules has to bum rides from people. Hercules already has enough image problems of being a frat boy what with living at home, sleeping with everyone, and his general goofiness. That last thing he needs is to be seen trying to take his parents' or brothers' car. "Yo Apollo, uhh...can I borrow the chariot. There is this party in Asgard" or "Dad, can you zap me to the moon. I need to fight off an alien invasion." (wink)

Lol.

You make some great points and make them in a funny way.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.