Follow

He-Man

Character » He-Man appears in 469 issues.

Prince Adam, is the seemingly worry and careless prince of the planet Eternia, but he really is He-Man, "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe" and brave champion of Eternia, He-Man battles Skeletor and the forces of evil to bring peace to the universe along with his trusty companion Battle Cat and The Masters of the Universe.

Warner Bros. Dumps He-Man & The Masters Of The Universe

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

No Caption Provided

Warner Bros. has decided to drop their plans on reviving the Masters Of The Universe franchise.  The movie had been in the works since 2007 with Joel Silver set to produce (I first mentioned it HERE).  According to Variety, Warner Bros. and Mattel simply couldn't agree on the direction to take the movie.  They both agreed to let the option for the movie to lapse.

For fans of He-Man, this doesn't necessarily mean the movie is dead.  Mattel now has control again and will shop it around to other studios.  John Stevenson (Kung Fu Panda) will still be directing but Joel Silver will no longer be attached.  Silver has an exclusive contract with Warner Bros.  (Warner Bros. still has plans for making a 'Hot Wheels' movie with Mattel). 

I think the tone of the movie is what could really determine its success.  The original cartoon was pretty cheesey (as were most 80s cartoons).  The real question would be who do they want to gear this towards?  With Mattel involved and the built in potential for a new toy line, they might want a child-friendly film.  The thought of that would most likely make those of us that recall the cartoon cringe.  There were some good characters created for the show.  Taking a slightly darker direction could really make this a franchise worth seeing.  I just have the feeling that it will end up a lighter tone.

How do you feel about He-Man?  Do you think it should have a darker, edgier tone to it or be friendly enough for the kids to see (and buy up all the toys)?  Have you ever watched the cartoons or read the comics?  Have you actually seen the last live-action attempt with Dolph Lundgren?

No Caption Provided
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NightFang3

That sucks. If they are going to make a He-Man movie it sould be PG-13 & it could be Star Wars meets Lord of the rings.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By joshmightbe

gargoyles was for kids and it was pretty dark so maybe they can find a happy medium with heman
    ryanwh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ryanwh

Other than the green tiger, which I liked purely because it was cool looking, I don't really feel one way or the other about this. He Man is just a lamer version of Conan or Beastmaster.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By joshmightbe
    @ryanwh:
    ok yes he wasnt near as cool as conan but id say hes atleast equal to beast master
    Nort

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Nort

I saw the live-action movie when I was younger it seemed good then.

Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.

Man that Dolph Lundgren adaptation was horrible, so was his version of The Punisher.   All you youngins out there, be glad you missed these movies.

BTW, I love Dolph.  Ivan Drago ruled!

ryanwh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ryanwh
    @joshmightbe said:
    " @ryanwh: ok yes he wasnt near as cool as conan but id say hes atleast equal to beast master "
    In my mind the only movie that comes close to approaching the rawness of the first Conan movie is the first Beastmaster movie. This is that, but without the blood, and with a bunch of Snarf-est mascot style characters.
    Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Precise
    @Red L.A.M.P. said:
    " Man that Dolph Lundgren adaptation was horrible, so was his version of The Punisher.   All you youngins out there, be glad you missed these movies.  BTW, I love Dolph.  Ivan Drago ruled! "
    True. I can't hate on the Punisher movie though if it was only for the reason a Dutch actor played a part in that movie. You know how rare it is for a Dutch actor to be in an American movie? Well besides Famke Jansen.
    Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bruce Vain

Man it seems like He-Man can't catch a break. 

I feel when they finally DO do a He-Man movie it should be more similar to the Cartoon Network version were it seemed more geared towards the adults who grew up watching He-Man. I felt it was better for Cringer not to speak in the new series.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By joshmightbe
    @ryanwh:
    i loved snarf when i was a kid
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#11  Edited By xerox_kitty

Oh  God, that Dolph Lungren version was so bad.  I can laugh my way through a lot of bad movies, but that one is SO bad it makes me wanna cry :(

Avatar image for the_sharp_dressed_lady
    The Sharp Dressed Lady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even though I never much followed He-Man or She-Ra, they were huge, and the movie has a cult following. I'm pretty sure they can make a pretty good movie of it, say if it were paced more like the original Star Wars movies or the Sam Jones Flash Gordon. 

Scarecrow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Scarecrow4

I loved the old Movie is that weird I own it on both VHS and DVD

Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Precise
    @Scarecrow4 said:
    " I loved the old Movie is that weird I own it on both VHS and DVD "
    Different people, different tastes. Not weird at all. Not to say i share your opinion on it though :p
    Kid_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kid_Zombie

To Answer the questions: yes i watched the cartoon, owned the toys and saw the original movie ha ha.

This is to bad, I agree with KNIGHT FANG, This could be star Wars meets lord of the Rings and be huge. lord of the Rings had dark scenes but also sold toys, so they could pull it off here as well. To bad WB is not doing it because, I beleve a darker tone was what they were going for. But who knows, another studio who is way better might pick it up and do a great job with it. We'll just have to wait and see. Just please not FOX.

For sure BRUCE VAIN, the new cartoon was great, and they for sure should follow their lead. 

RED L.A.M.P: Ya man Doulph rules! Cant wait for The Expendables!

The Sharp Dressed Lady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xerox-kitty said:
    " Oh  God, that Dolph Lungren version was so bad.  I can laugh my way through a lot of bad movies, but that one is SO bad it makes me wanna cry :( "
    lol
    King Quisling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By King Quisling

Lol I've seen the Lundgren version.....Twice for some reason. It was actually better than that old school Red Sonja movie and almost up there with Conan: The Destroyer. Had that same boring "I couldn't care less" feeling to it. 

Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By Namor1987

I'vr seen the Lundgren movie but cant remember it to well but IMO I always thought the original cartoon was gay but the new series was badass I followed it regularly
    Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.
    @Precise said:

" @Red L.A.M.P. said:

" Man that Dolph Lundgren adaptation was horrible, so was his version of The Punisher.   All you youngins out there, be glad you missed these movies.  BTW, I love Dolph.  Ivan Drago ruled! "
    True. I can't hate on the Punisher movie though if it was only for the reason a Dutch actor played a part in that movie. You know how rare it is for a Dutch actor to be in an American movie? Well besides Famke Jansen. "
    Wut?  Dolph is a Swede!  
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolph_Lundgren
    Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Precise
    Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#21  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Not seen the original one for years, dont even remeber much about it. Shame this new one has been droped though i doubt it will stay this way for long.

Avatar image for _1elderscrollsfan
    #1ElderScrollsFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Precise said:
    " @Red L.A.M.P. said:
    True. I can't hate on the Punisher movie though if it was only for the reason a Dutch actor played a part in that movie. You know how rare it is for a Dutch actor to be in an American movie? Well besides Famke Jansen. "
    Dolph Lundren is Swedish not Dutch 
    And Red Lamp Dolph Lundren's version of Punisher should win an Oscar compared to that Punisher: War Zone movie, that was by far the worst comic book movie ever.
    Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.

I have been reading Dolph's wikipedia page and am now amazed by him.  Did you all know he has a Masters in Chemical Engineering and is a 3rd Degree Blackbelt with competition wins back in the 80s.  He's also part of the US Olympic team for pentathlon!

pimping wikipedia again...
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolph_Lundgren

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24  Edited By FoxxFireArt
    @Red L.A.M.P. said:
    I, sadly, am just old enough to remember both of those movies. It's amazing the things you watch as a little kid and enjoy, but you grow up and realize, "what was I thinking?". As the Punsher he didn't even wear the logo.

I liked how they tried to revive the cartoon a few years back, but it got kind of weak after a few episodes. So much potential wasted.
    I think they need to try and completely re-imagine the series. Sort of along the lines of Battlestar Galactica.
    The Sharp Dressed Lady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Dolph version wasn't that bad, actually. It's very reminiscent of a lot of eighties action movies with a quasi-music video look to them, a la the Robocop movies, Terminator, Cobra, Back To The Future, etc. Very distinct. Ya, he's quite a man. This is probably my fave Dolph movie.

I have not seen it yet, but I've actually heard lots of good things, but a few bad things, about Punisher : War Zone, with Ray Stevenson. The bad things always seem to be that it wasn't released on enough theater screens and that it was "very violently dark and dismal" in a lot of parts. Like Death Wish meets The Hostel. Much more so, apparently, than the other Punisher movies. That also seems to be a good thing, depending on who you ask.

I really liked the Thomas Jane version. I probably wouldn't have picked any of these actors for the role but they all seem to have filled the bill. 

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Media_Master

Haven't seen the show or the movies, and unsurprising, I still don't have any feelings on He-Man

Avatar image for heroic_warrior76
    heroic_warrior76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By heroic_warrior76

I'm so upset  I'm hoping to see a He-Man and the Masters of the Universe live action movie by Warner Bros. Pictures, plus The Masters of the Universe action figures back in toy stores everywhere. I hope He-Man and the Masters of the Universe will make a successful comeback just like The Transformers More Than Meets The Eyes and G.I. Joe A Real American Hero, I wish Mattel Toys will find a way to bring He-Man and the Masters of the Universe back in the World successful famous and cool as always just like the good old 1980's era.

Avatar image for stereonovapostfun
    stereonovapostfun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: 
    I think snarf is a Thundercat hero....  
    He-man's tiger is called "battle cat"
    Luthorcrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Luthorcrow

Thanks God this moving is not getting made.  Movie goers and can rejoice that another abomination is not being birthed.

He-Man isn't worthy of a new underroos line much less a movie.

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sort of on topic, more informational.
    the company that does He-Man, Mattel, is also Disneys go-to-guy.
    market analysis is currently stating a strong likelihood that Marvel
    will bail out of Hasbro, and have Four Horsemen Studios produce
    their figures through Mattel as they do MOTU via Disneys request.
    i wonder if there is any relation in that with WB dropping MOTU?
    personally, while WB is a good company, they are handling one to 
    many licenses at the current time, and i feel MOTU would be better
    suited elsewhere with someone that could budget out more resources
    and time to the series, as it is legendary, likewise i feel the same about 
    Hasbro with Marvel figures. my personal dream would of course be
    something as close to the original MOTU comics, and by that i mean the dark
    and very Conan ones included with the original action figures.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.