Hawkeye #22

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Let's be honest, the wait for this issue has been brutal. As I've stated before, that's not something I want to dwell on. Having this final issue in my hands is fantastic. I have thoroughly enjoyed the series and have been looking forward to see what the conclusion has for us.

There is a lot going on here. We had a bit of a cliffhanger in the previous issue. Despite having read the next Hawkeye series and knowing the fate of some characters, there were still moments that will catch you off guard. Matt Fraction and David Aja tied up all the loose ends. The pacing, the art, and Matt Hollingsworth's colors were incredible. Seeing Clint, Kate, Lucky, and the Bros one last time was a blast.

All good things must come to an end. If anything, the delays have made this last longer in some ways. This is a seres I won't forget anytime soon. It's one I will definitely read over and over. If I were one to applaud comics I read, I would get up and give this a standing ovation. Fraction and Aja (and Annie Wu) did some really great things in this series. Let's hope we can see that magic again someday. Delays-shmeelays. It was worth the wait.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Zeeguy91

Still not paying $5 for a comic. Maybe I'll read it in 10 years when it finally gets marked down a dollar on Comixology.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@zeeguy91 said:

Still not paying $5 for a comic. Maybe I'll read it in 10 years when it finally gets marked down a dollar on Comixology.

Seriously?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

superhoodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

It was worth the wait for this final that was amazing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Another comic review? :D

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kantrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: Over 30 pages! Wooooo I can't wait to grab it this weekend. :D So much story!

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The story eluded me a bit (been awhile obviously), but I definitely felt that tingle this book used to give me. This was really great.

RageEx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Issue legitimately gave me chills.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
    Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Wait..last issue? Good thing I read this site more often then I trek to my comic shop (the treks are about once every 6-8 weeks) I was really enjoying this Lemire run (though, tbh, I did not like the art.)

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is kind of emotional for me, I remember when I first got into comics this was one of the must read triple A series that was out, along with other titles like Brian Azzarello's Wonder Woman, Jeff Lemire's Animal Man, and Geoff John's Aquaman. This is the last of those series to have it's run end and for me it feels like this is the end of a personal era for me.

Loading Video...

Plus there's a good chance this is Matt Fraction's last book at Marvel, although to be frank, if this is the end for him, then he's picking a high note to go out on.

In any case I think this will go down as one of the definitive must reads in Marvel's library of comics, or really comics in general, because it proves you don't need to be a top tier character, or have to do something epic each week to be successful, you just need a good story, and a good writer to bring out the best in a character, and that's exactly what this book delivered. So thank you Mr. Fraction for letting Hawkeye shine and giving us such a cool series which will not be forgotten any time soon.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait..last issue? Good thing I read this site more often then I trek to my comic shop (the treks are about once every 6-8 weeks) I was really enjoying this Lemire run (though, tbh, I did not like the art.)

Huh? This is the last issue of the Fraction run not the Lemire run.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As for the issue it was both really awesome and disappointing. For the most part it tied everything up except for some foreshadowing which really disappointed me because I'm not sure if it'll ever be touched on again. The art was amazing though. Clint was still a little to inept for my taste but overall it was still a really good final issue and I'm glad I don't have to go through the wait any longer praying that it'll finally come out or if it will come out.

Hopefully Lemire's run starts to pick up the pace story wise and I'll begin to enjoy that series as much as I've enjoyed this one.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By Zeeguy91

@drellassassin: My "ridiculousness" being that I don't wanna drop $5 on a single issue? Wow. I didn't know that such a sentiment was so "ridiculous," especially given that (1) it isn't an event series and (2) I COULD just save that $5 and then just add a dollar to buy two separate issues of another series.

The point is, Marvel's price gouging is reaching ridiculous levels. My budget isn't limitless.

ScrappyDont27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Very excited to read this issue, I hope David Aja puts out something soon after this!

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great issue. Tremendous series, for the very most part. Already knowing the fates of the primary characters hurt the anticipation and suspense of the book. Some day I'd love an explanation of why Marvel couldn't have just waited until after Secret Wars to launch the All-New Hawkeye series.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
    Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manwhohaseverything said:

Ahh,.TY. I think I was confusing Hawkeye with "All New Hawkeye" which is only on issue 2 or something.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Got way more emotional reading this than I thought I would.

First new series I ever picked up monthly, first #1 I ever bought, and the first Marvel series I followed. Kind of, like, the end of an era for me as a reader. I loved this book to pieces.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feartheliving said:
    @manwhohaseverything said:

Ahh,.TY. I think I was confusing Hawkeye with "All New Hawkeye" which is only on issue 2 or something.

Understandable with this series having so many delays and this coming out after that series has already begun.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I loved it.

It was a lot less painful for me than when I read Elektra's last issue of her recent solo, specifically because of the long wait and the new series with Lemire, so there's the silver lining for me. Still, it was bittersweet, all the same. I really, really enjoyed this book. Everything about it, from character depiction, story, to the pacing itself, and the art. Stimulating, and a gorgeous example of visual storytelling. The creative team brought something truly unique and special to the comics world, and to do it with beloved characters is especially notable.

I understand the criticisms this run got, but truly, this made it into my top ten of all time favourite comic runs. It deserves any accolade sent its way, and then some.

Bravo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91: The person you're replying to is a Marvel apologist -- they could charge $20 an issue and he'd probably find a reason to justify it.

erwinrafael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By erwinrafael

I will reread this series tonight but in its "original" 12-issue format. I think Fraction and Aja actually have this planned out as a maxi-series (meaning a one-year series), with fill-ins to make up for the slow time of production, which they may have already anticipated back then. The Fraction-Aja run is an exact twelve issues that could neatly be divided into three chapters of four issues each:

Hawkeye 1, 2, 3, 6 - sets up the basic plot of the series. Introduces all the main characters - Clint, Ivan, Grills, Lucky, Kate, "Cherry", the tracksuit draculas, the "boss". Lays down the conflict, and ends with Clint taking a stand to defend the apartment.

Hawkeye 8, 9, 11, 13 - the fallout. This is the dark chapter. The fall. Introduces the primary villain, the Clown. Introduces the heavyweight supporting cast of Black Widow, Spider Woman, Mockingbird, and Barney Barton. Primary plot is the death of Grills. Ends with the funeral, the arrival of Barney Barton, and the departure of Kate.

Hawkeye 15, 19, 21, 22 - the fightback. This is the final battle of Bed Stuy.

So if you feel that it would be too much of a chore to reread the whole series, just read this "main story". That's how I read it. I read the other issues separately, like bonus material.

erwinrafael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Look at this homage by Aja:

No Caption Provided

What memorable image in comic book history is that picture referencing? ;)

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

Going to the store to pick up this issue will feel like going to a funeral - it'll be a sad day - really sad!

@ Marvel & Fraction - Why couldn't you guys get your shits together?!?

iSummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

awesome issue happy to see barney alive!

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By The_Titan_Lord

nice

Flicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed this issue but had some minor issues the fight sequences. They didn't seem to flow as much as I would have liked. Like Clint may be holding up a bow in one panel but rushes the guy in the next. While the fight sequences were fun, it felt it could have been done "smoother"

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#28  Edited By owie  Moderator  Online

I certainly enjoyed this issue but I'm going to have to re-read the whole thing to really be able to put it all in context. Honestly it was a bit predictable to me. Well done, but no big surprises or anything.

One funny thing at the very beginning, and one at the end. In the beginning page, it says if you've been reading this, then you know what's going on. On the contrary for me at least I can barely remember any details.

Then on the goodbye from the editor page, there's an ad asking us to go out and buy Lemire's Hawkeye #1.

Oh, and, yay for bringing comic reviews back.

AldricEd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Look at this homage by Aja:

No Caption Provided

What memorable image in comic book history is that picture referencing? ;)

I have no idea. It's killing me because I immediately knew that it was a reference to a comic but I just. can't. remember. it. I made an account on this site in order to ask you (or anyone!) to tell me the answer.

erwinrafael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aldriced: It is a reference to this.

http://www.theothermurdockpapers.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Matt-and-Karen-233_small.gif

Tells us a lot how Aja viewed the Hawkeyes. :)

AldricEd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erwinrafael: Awesome. Daredevil was what was sticking in my head, but I couldn't place the image enough to be sure.

I think you're right that it does tell us a lot about Aja's view of the Hawkeyes (he's not a man who would do an homage like that without forethought). I believe that Aja saw the two of them differently than Fraction did, and that their difference in views is one of the reasons Clint and Kate's relationship seemed as complex and nuanced as it did.

MacBulldog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great ending to a fantastic and innovative run.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

It was a perfect ending it was so good. I'm so happy this book finally got to end. I almost cried when it looked like the dog died. I was really happy when Barney wasn't still wheel chair bound. If there wasn't like an 8 month delay i probably would have cried for sure.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

OMG! LOVED IT!!! I immediately read all the older issues together, you know without the wait, and loved it even more!
    And i want more....

and is pizza dog dead?

LiveForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OMG! LOVED IT!!! I immediately read all the older issues together, you know without the wait, and loved it even more!

And i want more....

and is pizza dog dead?

Nope, he's lying on the floor bandaged up in one of the last panels.

GhostRider88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man:

@g_man said:

@drellassassin: @zeeguy91:It's over thirty pages.

You can buy a Stephen King Dark Tower novel for $7-8. It's over 500 pages. I love comics as much as anyone but don't act like this guys nuts for saying 5 bucks is alot of money for a comic book because it is. Comic book pricing is at an all-time high. But hey, thats why I use Marvel Unlimited. $10 a month to read as much as your heart desires, that is, when you're not at work.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.