Follow

Harley Quinn

Character » Harley Quinn appears in 2595 issues.

Harleen Quinzel was a psychiatric resident at Arkham Asylum, where she met the incarcerated Joker. Falling in love with her patient, she conspired to break him out of prison and eventually became his lover and loyal sidekick, Harley Quinn. She eventually left him to be her own woman, and has been enemy and ally of Batman, and various other heroes.

Is the character worthless?

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By entropy_aegis

Okay i used to like harley in the old animated shows, in comics she's okay with selina and ivy ,BUT it's the jokers henchgirl thing about her that always bugs me. 
    I'm sorry but she simply makes the man look tame ,plain and simple .ever since she burst in to the scene i found it hard to take them both seriously (joker is supposed to be batman's biggest foe),all the years with harley turned the man in to a major league jobber(beatdowns at the hands of hush and jason come to mind). 
    but ever since Grant morrison took charge of the books,the first thing he did was dissolve their relationship and in the process i noticed a PHENOMINAL transformation. 
    Compare the joker from hush,no mans land,under the hood and lost days to the joker from clown at midnight,RIP and batman and robin.Now that's how joker should be written,now i'm not saying that he should be a psycho all the time,(Cornells recent issue of action comics comes to mind),but like i said batman's greatest foe should not be jobbing to ex sidekicks  or emerging new villians . 
    I brought this up cause harley will be meeting the joker in sirens after a gap of 3-4 years(blissful years). 
    If she becomes a joker character all over again ,then i honestly pray that joker goes oberon sexton on her and BURIES HER ALIVE.  

tara_la_reine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By tara_la_reine

No, the character is most certainly not worthless. The Joker's run-ins with Hush and Jason are not related to Harley. What happens to him- and indeed all comic characters- is at the descretion of the writer. Because of who the Joker is, a great many writers choose to have their new characters have a run-in with him in attempts to "prove" how tough said characters are. Look back; the Joker as ostensibly had his butt kicked by lesser characters a lot. I like Morrison's Joker, but he's not the only writer to ably express the Joker's menace. The problem with Harley is that few writers have a clue as to how to write her. They tend to write her as purely comedic instead of exploring her wickedness. Truth is, they've been writing her as a heroine or anti-heroine for about as long as she's been in the mainstream comics. She could be both awesome and a fitting companion to the Joker if writers would let her be what she is- a villainess.

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#3  Edited By Dracade102
    @tara_la_reine said:
    " No, the character is most certainly not worthless. The Joker's run-ins with Hush and Jason are not related to Harley. What happens to him- and indeed all comic characters- is at the descretion of the writer. Because of who the Joker is, a great many writers choose to have their new characters have a run-in with him in attempts to "prove" how tough said characters are. Look back; the Joker as ostensibly had his butt kicked by lesser characters a lot. I like Morrison's Joker, but he's not the only writer to ably express the Joker's menace. The problem with Harley is that few writers have a clue as to how to write her. They tend to write her as purely comedic instead of exploring her wickedness. Truth is, they've been writing her as a heroine or anti-heroine for about as long as she's been in the mainstream comics. She could be both awesome and a fitting companion to the Joker if writers would let her be what she is- a villainess. "
    Very well said.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Mercy_
    @tara_la_reine
    No, the character is most certainly not worthless. The Joker's run-ins with Hush and Jason are not related to Harley. What happens to him- and indeed all comic characters- is at the descretion of the writer. Because of who the Joker is, a great many writers choose to have their new characters have a run-in with him in attempts to "prove" how tough said characters are. Look back; the Joker as ostensibly had his butt kicked by lesser characters a lot. I like Morrison's Joker, but he's not the only writer to ably express the Joker's menace. The problem with Harley is that few writers have a clue as to how to write her. They tend to write her as purely comedic instead of exploring her wickedness. Truth is, they've been writing her as a heroine or anti-heroine for about as long as she's been in the mainstream comics. She could be both awesome and a fitting companion to the Joker if writers would let her be what she is- a villainess.
    So much this.
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#5  Edited By SC  Moderator

I like Harley more than Joker personally. I wish I could send her to Marvel. 

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Oldirtybearon

Considering she was created as a cheerleader for the Joker in a kids show, I wouldn't hold out much hope for writers taking her seriously. 

That said, I grew up watching said show, so it's kind of weird to think of her as anything but the Joker's wacky sidekick.

Avatar image for hydrabob--defunct
    hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By hydrabob--defunct

WOW thats kinda harsh blaming Harley for the reason Joker gets beat down, i mean he should get beat down by people like Hush and Jason as IIRC he doesn't (or we don't know that he does) have any combat training and only has a huge tolerance to pain, which after a while anyone would still pass out due to blood loss or something. Unless Harley was there for those fights and Joker was trying to save her and thats how he got his butt kicked i don't really see how, Harley had any real affect on Joker losing fights, he should lose. Really the only reason Joker should win a fight as far as i know is because he has prepared and laid the field with Booby traps.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @tara_la_reine said:
    "No, the character is most certainly not worthless. The Joker's run-ins with Hush and Jason are not related to Harley. What happens to him- and indeed all comic characters- is at the descretion of the writer. Because of who the Joker is, a great many writers choose to have their new characters have a run-in with him in attempts to "prove" how tough said characters are. Look back; the Joker as ostensibly had his butt kicked by lesser characters a lot. I like Morrison's Joker, but he's not the only writer to ably express the Joker's menace. The problem with Harley is that few writers have a clue as to how to write her. They tend to write her as purely comedic instead of exploring her wickedness. Truth is, they've been writing her as a heroine or anti-heroine for about as long as she's been in the mainstream comics. She could be both awesome and a fitting companion to the Joker if writers would let her be what she is- a villainess. "
    Actually his run in with hush was related to harley being manipulated.Name a single writer whose joker can top morrisons post harley.So basically according to you harley should be written as you see fit ,not how she's being actually portrayed thus far in her career? 
    sorry gonna have to do better than that,the fact is that she's relief in a deadpoolish manner ,and the joker suffers as a consequence.
    @hydrabob said:
    "WOW thats kinda harsh blaming Harley for the reason Joker gets beat down, i mean he should get beat down by people like Hush and Jason as IIRC he doesn't (or we don't know that he does) have any combat training and only has a huge tolerance to pain, which after a while anyone would still pass out due to blood loss or something. Unless Harley was there for those fights and Joker was trying to save her and thats how he got his butt kicked i don't really see how, Harley had any real affect on Joker losing fights, he should lose. Really the only reason Joker should win a fight as far as i know is because he has prepared and laid the field with Booby traps. "
    Yes the fact he WAS'NT prepared for them is the problem,it became a joke to the writers ,he became a guy of comedy. (which brings us back to the point ,she was responsible for it)
    the joker is'nt funny ,he only THINKS he is,grant's joker is the boss.
    @SC said:
    "I like Harley more than Joker personally. I wish I could send her to Marvel.  "

Yes please make it happen.
    VillainousV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By VillainousV

Harley worthless..........? NEVER..........!

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @VillainousV:
    In relation with joker.
    ivy's creation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ivy's creation

to me what makes Harley's character and relationship with the joker is that she was once a psychiatrist whose job it was to make the joker sane, however he turned a respectable psychiatrist insane and his pet. There are many possibilities he keeps Harley around but one of the main reasons is to show the world what he can do to people no matter how 'sane' they seem to be.  

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Video_Martian

I don't get why so many people nowadays claim to hate Harley Quinn... =P

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @mr.obvious said:
    "

I don't get why so many people nowadays claim to hate Harley Quinn... =P

"
    Vocal minority
    Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Video_Martian
    @TheCrowbar: Yeah, but still... =P
    Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#16  Edited By Dracade102
    @SC said:
    " I like Harley more than Joker personally. I wish I could send her to Marvel.  "
    You just won the internet for that.
    punchline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By punchline

Joker and Harley have taken different paths. Though it does seem that they have downplayed Harley a lot since her own series. This is a girl that had joker hanging from the emergency phone after blowing the bottom out of an elevator. She got kicked out of hell by none other then the devil and took on the martian manhunter while hopping from body to body.  Where is her giant pop gun. Where is the acrobatic woman who can take on batman and hold her own. Where is the Woman that went to metropolis with Joker while he had diplomatic immunity and went toe to toe with mercy and held her own. She is trained in psychiatry why is not among the select few that has figured out Batman's identity. It isn't like she would tell the Joker. He would kill her if she did. Not that he wouldn't kill her anyway if he got the chance. Not knowing who the Batman is Bruce Wayne is part of Jokers whole game. He doesn't care he just wants to cause havoc and destruction and prove to everyone that life is one big joke. I think that they are better both going on their own paths and there is room for both of them. I don't think they need each other. I think Harley has proven she can hold her own as a character. Joker has been around since the beginning. So he isn't going anywhere.

blackcat_hull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By blackcat_hull

Harley isn't worthless, and she has shown in the past that she's a viable villainess in her own right. In Gotham City Sirens and her own comic series, she proves able to deal with both Batman, the Bat family and other heroes and villains, and come out on top. The fact thats she's a bit ditsy and an incurrable romantic makes her likebale, but I also thinks its a good counter-point when she does truly horrendous things. Love makes people do nasty things, and Harley is crazy about love.

The main problems is that she will always be linked to the Joker...after all he's the reason she's the way she is. I think that the time to be a romantic side-kick have passed, and that their relationship could be more mature...and even more dangerous. Joker may be darker without Harley, but he is meant to be a clown..not just some twisted psychpath, and Harley brings a bit of dark humour to the mix. 

so, either together or apart, Harley and Joker are great Batman characters, and not worthless.

Omarpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Omarpool
    @SC said:
    " I like Harley more than Joker personally. I wish I could send her to Marvel.  "
    This. Where she would hook up with Deadpool. :P
    cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By cosmo111687

I really love the Joker/Harley dynamic. It's a clever commentary on the classic co-dependent/narcissistic relationship while also injecting some much needed humor in Gotham's otherwise intensely bleak universe. And I think that, from a creative stand-point, it's healthy to take multiple perspectives on Joker's character. The psychotic clown act has yielded brilliant tales, and nothing could be more fascinating that the inner-workings of Joker's twisted and brilliant mind, but it gets stale sometimes. It's nice to have Harley around to provide some levity and brighten the mood from time to time. 

Also, as a side-note: I've always had the sense that maybe part of the reason why Joker has Harley is to irk Batman . The most stable relationship Batman has with any woman is Catwoman, which is tenuous at best, and that's because he's too devoted to protecting Gotham and too concerned for the safety of those he loves. Joker, being the obsessive genius that is, can't have let the idea that Batman can't have a relationship slip past him. So he keeps Harley around in hopes of irking Batman because he couldn't care less for Harley's safety or for Gotham - and yet he's granted the most perfect relationship he could ask for while Batman gets nothing.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#21  Edited By Joygirl

No she's not.

<angry face>

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By Saren

RIP Joker was so boss. But I've never been able to take Harley seriously.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By entropy_aegis

@CitizenBane said:

RIP Joker was so boss. But I've never been able to take Harley seriously.

Grant Morrison Joker as a whole was a boss and the first thing Grant did when he came on board was separate them.The 6 years from NML to Morrisons era may have been the worst era for the Joker ever.(the only good thing i recall was Brubakers Man who Laughs,which was an origin story.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.