Follow

Hank Pym

Character » Hank Pym appears in 3721 issues.

Hank Pym is a scientific genius, a founding member of the Avengers, the creator of Pym Particles and of Ultron, and a modern-day superhero who suffers from a Bipolar disorder. He has acted under many memorable identities such as Ant-Man, Giant Man, Goliath, Yellowjacket, and the Wasp. He is also the Earth's Scientist Supreme, as decreed by Eternity.

TPB Recommendations?

FlashKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 19

Hey guys. I've never really been into Ant-Man, but my brother is an absolutely huge Ant-Man fan and I wanted to get him a TPB for Christmas. Any suggestions from people who know the character? Like is there any iconic Hank Pym/Ultron TPB/story out there?

Thanks in advance.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

There's a TPB called Avengers: The Many Faces of Henry Pym that prints the first appearances of all his various identities, Hank Pym, Ant-Man, Giant Man, Goliath, Yellowjacket, Doctor Pym and Wasp.

There's Ant-Man and Wasp: Small World that's a team up mini-series with Eric O'Grady, but more importantly includes 5 issues of Tales To Astonish, following Hank and Janet as Ant-Man and Wasp.

There's Avengers: The Trial of Yellowjacket which shows a bit of a downfall for Hank. It's iconic, but some people don't seem to like him based on some of the events of this(unfairly in my opinion).

And the Mighty Avengers books, The Mighty Avengers: Earth's Mightiest and Mighty Avengers: The Unspoken pay some attention to him, with him leading an Avengers team, and being given the title of Earths Scientist Supreme.

If you need more recommendations, let me know. These are the first ones that came to mind, but there are others that are good that have a little less focus on Hank. Is your brother interested in any other Avengers in particular?

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

@v_scarlotte_rose: Would you mind giving giving a few more recommendations, I know I didn't start this but I am interested as well.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

@dagmar_merrill: No problem. :)

There are two volumes of Marvel Masterworks: Ant-Man/Giant-Man, but they're a little expensive as they're hardback and out of print, however, volume 1 has just recently come out in paperback, so it's at a reasonable price at the moment. It collects his earliest stories as Ant-Man and Giant-Man from Tales To Astonish, including his first appearance in #27, and the first half of his run from #35-52. Wasp is introduced about halfway through this too.

Ultron Unlimited is pretty good, and partly focuses on Hanks connection to Ultron. It's available as its' own TPB, Avengers: Ultron Unlimited, or as part of Avengers Assemble #2 - Volume Two, along with a few other issues of that series, or if you're in the U.K., I think you can still currently get a copy for £1.99 in many newsagents, as it's the first issue in a new Marvel graphic novel partwork.

Avengers Legends: Avengers Forever is a time travel based adventure through the Marvel universe based around a team of 7 Avengers, two of which are Hank, from different points in his life, plus Wasp. It's a good story, but it may be better for someone with some experience with The Avengers, as it references quite a few things. However, the TPB I have has some sections explaining what is being referenced and gives issue numbers, so you can go and get the stories yourself if you're interested.

There are some good Hank moments in Avengers: West Coast Avengers - Family Ties and Avengers: West Coast Avengers - Lost in Space-Time, showing him and Ultron trying to be a closer father and son, and dealing with one of his lowest points of depression, but the focus is more on other characters. West Coast Avengers/Avengers West Coast is a good series though, so if you're also interested in Scarlet Witch, Vision, Wonder Man and Tigra, it's probably worth a look.

He had a 30 page one-shot retelling him and Wasps origin story in Avengers Origins: Ant-Man & The Wasp, which was included in Avengers Origins #1 - Avengers Origins and Avengers: Mythos. It's a good story, as are the others in the Origins TPB.

I'll come back if I think of any more. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.