Follow

Hank Pym

Character » Hank Pym appears in 3721 issues.

Hank Pym is a scientific genius, a founding member of the Avengers, the creator of Pym Particles and of Ultron, and a modern-day superhero who suffers from a Bipolar disorder. He has acted under many memorable identities such as Ant-Man, Giant Man, Goliath, Yellowjacket, and the Wasp. He is also the Earth's Scientist Supreme, as decreed by Eternity.

Michael Douglas Cast as Hank Pym in Marvel's 'Ant-Man'

• 147 results
    sonofodin25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By sonofodin25

Marvel's Next Move Announcements:

Betty White Set To Play The Wasp

Loki to be big bad in everything.

Winter Solider turns out to be a drunken actor pretending to be Bucky to piss off Captain America. MODOK turns out to be the real villain.

Bill Cosby to play the Black Panther. King Of Africa. Wakanda and Vibranium do not exist.

Micheal Caine to play Dr. Strange.

SlamAdams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 59

#102  Edited By SlamAdams

@slamadams said:

@protoflash said:

Meh. They probably decided to go with this kind of plot to quell any chances of audiences getting confused with all of pym's identities (Ant-Man, Giant-Man, Yellowjacket) I just hope that they somehow include the wasp, maybe make janet van dyne pym's young lab assistant or something. I just hope they don't decide to say that pym was in the public saving lives, like he did stuff in secret back in the day, because then it'd make no sense why we would have never heard about him before in the MCU

Why would we have heard of him if he was saving lives in SECRET? Iron Man was the first movie and Stark said he was entering a big world that he didn't know about. Clearly Iron Man wasn't the first super powered individual.

Well besides Captain American I don't think their was ever mention of any other superheroes before.

Let me repeat: Why would WE hear about him if he was saving lives IN SECRET? Secret is a very important word here and in the original posts. Obviously people like Widow and Hawkeye have some experience under their belt and Nick Fury has already made reference to a "bigger world." Coulson has made reference to Stark not being their first cover up. Obviously things went down before Stark decided to reveal himself as a superhero.

mrkyll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's next? Helen Mirren to play the Wasp?

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
    NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Huh, now I'm kinda bummed.

goobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slamadams: Hulk, also keep in mind there are people like quick silver and Wanda.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

KNEW they were going to mess this up. the directed always wanted to use scott lang from the gate so not surprised there but to make him (hank) so old foegie with no chance of him at LEAST being yellow jacket and having wasp (a founding member of the avengers and team leader twice over) is just crap. so not seeing this in theathers. PROTEST

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Wow it seems like Hank Pym fans are getting the shaft, first he's not a founder of the Avengers, then it;s said he wont create Ultron, now he isn't going to be Ant-man in the movie.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely ridiculous Marvel. From the bad choice of Director right through to the horrible casting, this will be another Marvel film I won't be seeing at the box office.

As much as I love my Marvel characters, I have actually enjoyed Nolan's Batman & Snyder's Superman a whole lot more.

I'm really growing weary of Marvel / Disney's leaning towards (comedy-centric) super hero films.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

Wow people are complaining about this, oh wait why would they do that if its a Marvel studios film? sarcasm.

blazinasian112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By blazinasian112

So no future yellow jacket then?

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is what annoys me. Why switch Hank Pym out? Founding member of the World's Mightiest heroes and one of the most brilliant minds on the planet. You swap him out for a petty thief who got lucky.

Scot Lang would be cool to introduce in the sequel, or even a cameo in the third installment, but to flat out make him the guy folks think of when you see Ant Man on the screen is ridiculous.

Why didn't you stick Rhodey in the Iron man suit? or Why not use Yelena as Black Widow? or heck, why not skip Widow and use Mockingbird if you were pairing up Hawkeye.

That's it..I'm done, I'm out. lol

ForeverMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#113  Edited By ForeverMan

I would have preferred a Hank Pym Ant Man movie as a fan but I'm not mad at Scott Lang either. At least they appear to be holding true to the general parameters of his origin.

Must say I'm surprised at Douglas' casting, even if they were going for an older person. Oh well, if its a good movie, it wont matter.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#114  Edited By ComicStooge

Stupid.

HellionVulcan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Marvel come on hes far too old for the role .... sigh .

tuckboarder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So is he gonna die and ultron will be like his final creation? and then Paul Rudd shows up and is like hey im Ant Man afterwards

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since many Marvel movies lean towards being like the Ultimate universe do you really think people would go see that version of Hank? A horrible man that beats his wife?

I hate to say this because I love 616 Hank but if they went with that version it would not work for a mainstream audience. When he hit Wasp in Avengers 213 it became something so many people focused on it defined his character and it's something that people have trouble forgetting. Making a movie about Hank Pym and Wasp with either version would cause a Sh*t storm and Marvel is playing it safe.

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

Im irritated that they cast Douglas as Hank, because the two are not that different in age. But I cant deny the fact that Scott Lang (My preferred Ant Man) is going to be the main character

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@teerack said:

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

Hank Pym is a genius, one of the founding members of the Avengers, the creator of Pym Particles and Ultron, a sufferer of Bipolar disorder and a modern-day superhero. He has acted under many memorable identities such as Ant-Man, Giant Man, Goliath, Yellowjacket, and the Wasp. He is also the Earth's Scientist Supreme, as decreed by Eternity.

You missed some.

You're probably right. I wasn't sure whether to cross them off, just in case they manage to work them in somehow, but it seems like that would be difficult.

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually don't get upset about casting decisions, but this doesn't seem right. Michael Douglas is old. But I guess he could be ok for the role of Hank Pym's grandfather...

Seriously, though, what sense does it make to have Scott Lang be Ant man in a movie about Ant Man? It's already hard to sell the concept to the audience, now you want to have two very important characters and explain their relationship to the Ant Man role? Or maybe they're going to do something that is very very different and Hank Pym has never been and will never be a superhero.

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
    TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#121  Edited By TheManInTheShoe

This can not be true. He's waaaay too old for playing Pym. If this is true, what were they thinking??

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

(Sigh) What is the point of changing out one of the original, fundamental building blocks of the Marvel Universe into a supporting and aged role in the Marvel Cinematic Universe? There's no logical sense in messing around with the source material by making Scott Lang Ant Man instead of Hank Pym. This does really undermine the fact that Pym won't create Ultron and won't be a founding member of the Avengers if he isn't a starring role in the Ant Man film. Gah this is such a double edged sword because Wright has made some good calls so far what with his tone and direction for the film along with casting Rudd as the star.

chrisj_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasn't there some synopsis that said something along the lines of this being a Batman Beyond type story with flashbacks of the past? I swear to god I saw that somewhere. I'm confused about why you guys are mad about this now. Honestly I don't mind this just opens up possibilities for Antman to have a huge decades spanning history if they go the way I assume they are. Edgar Wright made Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and Scott Pilgrim and from what I've read and heard practically all his movies are great and received critical acclaim so I have no doubt the guy at least knows what he's doing with this so we just gotta wait and see guys just chill.

StrangeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By StrangeMan
    No Caption Provided

Gotham331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh...

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Ok so Paul Rudd is gonna be Scott Lang..... gonna steal hank pyms suit, save his daughter

mid credit scene: hank pym works on some experiment, then stark comes in and asks if he can fix ultron

Just saved $20 for you guys

Most likely this, but I wonder how Wasp will factor in? And who will be the villain? Egghead maybe?

MiamiShaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@master_thief said:

Ok so Paul Rudd is gonna be Scott Lang..... gonna steal hank pyms suit, save his daughter

mid credit scene: hank pym works on some experiment, then stark comes in and asks if he can fix ultron

Just saved $20 for you guys

Most likely this, but I wonder how Wasp will factor in? And who will be the villain? Egghead maybe?

There's a weak rumour that Hank will be the villain.

Avatar image for deactivated-635002b0415fa
    deactivated-635002b0415fa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is...definitely not at all what I was expecting.

sasquatch888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MARVEL. STOP MESSING WITH THE SOURCE MATERIAL !

Seriosuly, after the Avengers did you guys decide to do everything half assed. Iron Man 3 is one of the worst movies i've ever seen and Thor: The Dark World was meh and now I can look forward to a horrible adaptation of the Hank Pym character. Hank Pym is 70 years old, was never an Avengers, doesn't know the Wasp, and doesn't create Ultron ? Are you F*cking kidding me ?

i agree ...a big mistake .....it looks like 99 percent of the fans on here are really disappointed ..so many superhero movies that it looks like the movies will dictate continuity like this ridiculous black nick fury in 616 now ....its getting worse and worse

Master_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sasquatch888: This movies is gonna be worst then the iron man3 movie

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@sasquatch888: This movies is gonna be worst then the iron man3 movie

I don't like this decision either but to say it's gonna be worse than the travesty that was Iron Man 3 without any trailer, pre production material or photos is just plain ridiculous I'm afraid.

Master_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: I now but still with all the decisions marvel has been doing with Antman it seems there saying, "the people that don't read the comics is right about antman being useless and we are only making this movie to make the comicbook readers happy."

Avatar image for friendlyneighborhoodspidey
    friendlyNeighborhoodSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When Edgar Wright first talked about the project he said he saw it as a legacy story where Hank Pym was in a 60s-Tales-to-Astonish setting as Ant-Man only to eventually retire and have his suit stolen by Scott Lang in the present. i think it is a pretty awesome idea and damn cool casting. This is exactly the kind of idea that will help differentiate some of the superhero movies. Like Mask of Zorro

This made me think. It could be cool if this was a movie set in the 60s with Paul Rudd as young Hank Pym and Michael Douglas a modern day Pym looking back. Not sure if that would work too well without time travel.

SlamAdams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slamadams said:

When Edgar Wright first talked about the project he said he saw it as a legacy story where Hank Pym was in a 60s-Tales-to-Astonish setting as Ant-Man only to eventually retire and have his suit stolen by Scott Lang in the present. i think it is a pretty awesome idea and damn cool casting. This is exactly the kind of idea that will help differentiate some of the superhero movies. Like Mask of Zorro

This made me think. It could be cool if this was a movie set in the 60s with Paul Rudd as young Hank Pym and Michael Douglas a modern day Pym looking back. Not sure if that would work too well without time travel.

Actually, the would be kind of cool. And not totally out of the realm of possibilities. Was Rudd officially confirmed for Scott Lang? Or is everyone just assuming he was because of this news? You wouldn't need time travel, it could just be flashbacks.

SlamAdams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: I now but still with all the decisions marvel has been doing with Antman it seems there saying, "the people that don't read the comics is right about antman being useless and we are only making this movie to make the comicbook readers happy."

Clearly they aren't making this movie to make comicbook readers happy considering all the people up in arms about this, a response anyone could see coming a mile away. The fans were pissed when Superman didn't have his briefs for Christ-sakes. Marvel is making this movie mostly because Edgar Wright, a popular and talented filmmaker, pitched it, first and foremost. And the grander scale, they clearly want to tell this Ant-Man story not THE Ant-Man story. The superhero movie bubble is gonna burst any day now considering the cinema is already overrun (and about to get worse with DC, Fox, and Sony following Marvel's business plan). I'm glad that a comic book movie property has decided to cut through all the red tape and tell the story they want to tell rather than go through the motions just to satiate fans and hope for a sequel that isn't guaranteed. As a comic reader, I hate when filmmakers say "Now that we introduced it we can get to the good stuff" when it comes to superhero movies. Why the hell aren't you starting with the good stuff?!

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#138  Edited By TDK_1997

Douglas is a good actor but I don't like the idea of him being Hank Pym and Hank being that old.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#139 vance_astro  Moderator

Marvel stopped trying when they ruined the Mandarin.

Misterbleh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RaynorJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel sorry for Hank fans. Because Hank is not the most popular superhero in Marvel they decided to completely re-invent the character not really caring about his "small" fanbase. They just thought let's put in Michael Douglas that will bring in those non-comic book fans.

Personally since i am not a Ant-man fan i really look forward to seeing Michael Douglas in it, i can't lie i love the guy and he is a terrific actor, though like i said i do feel for the fans.

woz3323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By woz3323

This movie as a stand alone film doesn't make sense. I know there are a lot of fans of Ant Man, but I don't think the general population will care as they do for mainstream characters like Iron Man and Spiderman.

What people are seeing and are upset about seems to be the opening stages of trying to make the film into something big for people that are not familiar with Ant Man and likely will alienate the fans in the process.

Don't get mad, but I think this film has flop written all over it. Marvel thinks they are invincible because of the Avengers, Iron Man, etc and if they make it, people will come.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone else think Michael Douglas looks more suited to Jay Garrick than Hank Pym?

montydapunk.k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chill guys, Edgar wright had said that the plan is to show a young version of Pym in action in the 60s in flashbacks so maybe they're gonna cast some young actor for that role. Besides I'm hoping that they can include some time travel and bring that young Hank Pym to the Present.

Marvel has basically raped Hank Pym's legacy (if any) by stripping him as the creator of Ultron, the founding member of Avengers and now he's not even going to be a superhero in the present time.

cborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By cborg

everyone seems so sure Rudd will play Lang but he seems more a fit for Eric OGrady. First the character would fit with movie marvels increased role of shield in creating the avengers, it seems possible the studio would use the antman that got the suit from shield. Also in the test footage the suit bears a stronger resemblance to ogradys suit than the one lang and pym shared. Also, ogrady's more raunchier and funny aspects would fit in line with an alum from Apatow films than the antman that was basically hank pym without the interesting stuff (no wasp love interest/ no muti personalities/ no created ultron)

JROCK72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

Hopefully the Ant Man film occurs in the distant future, with Michael Douglas retelling his story as the amazing hero that he was, with a large portion of the film as flashbacks with Rudd as modern day Pym. I do not want an elder Hank Pym as the majority of the the film.

Rez_Ward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ahahahah, what a twist. I still think we're going to see flashback though, maybe not too far behind, but definitely Hank Pym's Ant-Man origin before shifting the whole focus to Scott Lang. You see, this kind of surprise casting intrigues me more on this movie. I can't wait to see what Edgar Wright brings to the table (or in this case, the screen).

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Michael Douglas is way too cool to play Hank Pym!

Unless the movie will have Hank Pym killed of and Scott Lang takes over, I could be interested then.

KDub_inc_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#150  Edited By stormshadow_x

I've known this for a long time but still... Hank being my fourth fav marvel hero deserves to be among Steve Rodgers and Tony stark. Not Lame Scott.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.