Follow

Hank Pym

Character » Hank Pym appears in 3721 issues.

Hank Pym is a scientific genius, a founding member of the Avengers, the creator of Pym Particles and of Ultron, and a modern-day superhero who suffers from a Bipolar disorder. He has acted under many memorable identities such as Ant-Man, Giant Man, Goliath, Yellowjacket, and the Wasp. He is also the Earth's Scientist Supreme, as decreed by Eternity.

How is Ant-Man in the Avengers?

• 51 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e3255e75dae4
    deactivated-5e3255e75dae4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I never read any Avenger titles so I have no clue what Ant-Man does on the Avengers. What does he do next to such powerful heroes like Thor, Hulk, Iron Man, etc?

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

He sits in the Avengers Tower and watches football.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

If you mean Hank Pym, he can use his powers to shrink to get into places and situations that others can't. Uses his powers to grow to move quicker and take on larger threats. Communicates with insects to distract or attack enemies(getting in their eyes, clogging up weapons, etc. He can make things shrink by touching them, he has weapons that shoot energy, is able to create powerful robots that can take on people as powerful as the Avengers(Salvation 1 and Ultron), and once created an aircraft with A.I. built in. He's also generally a genius, and a good enough scientist to be named Earths Scientist Supreme. I think he also knows Judo.

He did some of these things whilst not in his Ant-Man identity, but it's all still the same person, so it probably counts.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

the underestimating of Hank is really starting to get old

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

before it was known that tony stark was ironman, hank was the resident smart guy of the team. since then hes still a smart guy but hes not the one everyone thinks of when they think about the avengers

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
    TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you mean Hank Pym, he can use his powers to shrink to get into places and situations that others can't. Uses his powers to grow to move quicker and take on larger threats. Communicates with insects to distract or attack enemies(getting in their eyes, clogging up weapons, etc. He can make things shrink by touching them, he has weapons that shoot energy, is able to create powerful robots that can take on people as powerful as the Avengers(Salvation 1 and Ultron), and once created an aircraft with A.I. built in. He's also generally a genius, and a good enough scientist to be named Earths Scientist Supreme. I think he also knows Judo.

He did some of these things whilst not in his Ant-Man identity, but it's all still the same person, so it probably counts.

QFT. I suggest you read Age of Ultron #10A.I great story of Hank.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By HumanRocket

Now I see why we need respect threads for superheroes.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Riot_Sqrrl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@gor724: He's the Avengers' Aquaman. He has to resort to building megalomaniacal robots and slapping his trophy wife around to keep from being overwhelmed by boredom. And that was the Comic Code-regulated 60s, 70s, 80s! Who knows what he's capable of these days!

Avatar image for guardian_of_gravity
    Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gor724: He's the Avengers' Aquaman. He has to resort to building megalomaniacal robots and slapping his trophy wife around to keep from being overwhelmed by boredom. And that was the Comic Code-regulated 60s, 70s, 80s! Who knows what he's capable of these days!

He only slapped Jannet once.

And he's regretted that decision every single god damn day since.

Every time it seems like he'd get some development away from that NOOOOOO someone brings it back up and screws it all up again.

The guy created god damn Ultron, he does not need anymore Pathos. LET! IT! GOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

*Raegnukes*

Riot_Sqrrl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thefirstlantern: He hasn't really been out on missions, but he gets a decent amount of panel time.

TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheFirstLantern
    mikex20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Pym is a brilliant scientist, and has made great contributions to the team. Plus he's one of the founders.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@riot_sqrrl said:

He only slapped Jannet once.

And he's regretted that decision every single god damn day since.

Every time it seems like he'd get some development away from that NOOOOOO someone brings it back up and screws it all up again.

The guy created god damn Ultron, he does not need anymore Pathos. LET! IT! GOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

*Raegnukes*

Also the entire thing was a misunderstanding between the writer and artist. He was never supposed to hit her.

Riot_Sqrrl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Smacky Smackerton's genius is tiny next to the cranial contents of Egghead. I see nothing to disprove that.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Sadly Ant-Man/Hank Pym is basically Marvel's Aquaman. People see that he's called "ANT-Man" and instantly think he's lame without reading a single thing about the character.

People ask why was Ant-Man a founding member of the Avengers, and I love how Dan Slott in his Mighty Avengers run explains that really Hank Pym was the leader of the original team. Hank Pym is far from just a guy who can shrink and talk to ants...but people never tend to look past that, which is a shame.

Avatar image for pietromaximoffistheman
    PietroMaximoffIsTheMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@riot_sqrrl: What about Reed and Spider-Man. They get a free pass? Just because you're too lazy to read about a character doesn't mean you should go around spreading stupid crap like that.

Riot_Sqrrl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow. You take this way too seriously. You should maybe interact with some people offline occasionally.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Wow. You take this way too seriously. You should maybe interact with some people offline occasionally.

And maybe you should learn how to use the reply function when posting. It lets people know you're replying to their message.

MisterAnderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

I agree that Henry Pym has suffered a lot since the character's inception, dealing with the loss of his first wife, Ultron, going through the mental breakdown that led to the creation of Yellowjacket, the rivalry with Egghead (which was a big part of Pym's evolution, @riot_sqrrl), and the second breakdown that led to him hitting his wife. He has dealt with all of this much better than, say, the Scarlet Witch did with all of her trauma. However, @pietromaximoffistheman, I don't understand what you mean about Reed or Peter. When were they ever accused of spousal abuse? A free pass for what? Also, I think you might be escalating things with @riot_sqrrl unnecessarily. His comments are vague generalities, but nothing there to suggest he?/she? hasn't been reading. @guardian_of_gravity, I agree sqrrl's statements were less predicated on logos, but authorial intent aside, shouldn't an editor have caught it before it saw print? Regardless, Marvel let it stand and writers have been running with it for decades. The Ultimate Henry Pym was definitely far more sick in the first Millar Ultimates series in his treatment of Jan, but the Earth-616 version was culpable for his own actions. He shouldn't really be punished for them anymore, by fans, by writers, or even by Janet Van Dyne (recalling Bendis/Cho Mighty Avengers run). I hope Marvel dispenses with all of this convoluted time travel shit and does something revolutionary with Hank Pym that doesn't involve Ultron or the Wasp. Whatever happened to Dr. Nemesis? Bring back that dude.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@misteranderson: Reed is a way worse husband than Hank ever was tho he's more verbally abusive, also when he isn't insulting his wife directly he just talks to her like she's an idiot.

MisterAnderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe:

Sue has left Reed more than once, most recently during Civil War, and she has made a non-coercive decision to remain with him. Reed Richards has received no free pass. But why Spidey? Peter made decisions with both Mary Jane and his aunt's well-being in mind. He never abused MJ verbally or physically. I didn't think this discussion was about which fictional character makes a better mate, but whether or not @riot_sqrrl was wrong to recall attention to the domestic abuse of Janet Van Dyne (who also exercised agency). When did the focus change?

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

MisterAnderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peppeyhare:

I would be interested to know when and under what circumstances, but these examples only seem to show that fandom should forgive Hank and move on, as both characters committed these acts and are still held in high regard by fandom. Continuing this discourse about who is the better comic book husband is meaningless.

Riot_Sqrrl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Riot_Sqrrl

@pietromaximoffistheman:

Whatever, dude. Feel bigger?

@squares

Sorry I didn't observe proper formatting. Hope that atones.

@misteranderson

Please don't defend me. This site's users are not fans of me, so even vaguely taking my side will only get you in trouble. Besides, I don't agree. The conversation was why Henry Pym was on the Avengers roster with gods, super-soldiers, and high-tech wonders. I guess I'm not the only one guilty of being "a lazy reader."

MisterAnderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MisterAnderson

@riot_sqrrl:

You're right. My bad. Also, I suspect that Comic Vine users are probably indifferent to you. I see that you're trying to be funny, but the site has a very specific purpose in having a conversation about an avenue of pop culture that sometimes isn't taken seriously, so detracting from that seriousness invites their frustration. You aren't the first, and you won't be the last. You're just the latest. Stop feeding it, and eventually, you can probably interact here again without "fearing" any snarkiness. And I wasn't defending you so much as interrogating some of the flawed logic being thrown around. I don't really care if users dislike me or not because I don't know any of them, and they don't know me.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@riot_sqrrl: Was that smacky thingy a joke?

@danhimself said:

Sadly Ant-Man/Hank Pym is basically Marvel's Aquaman. People see that he's called "ANT-Man" and instantly think he's lame without reading a single thing about the character.

People ask why was Ant-Man a founding member of the Avengers, and I love how Dan Slott in his Mighty Avengers run explains that really Hank Pym was the leader of the original team. Hank Pym is far from just a guy who can shrink and talk to ants...but people never tend to look past that, which is a shame.

It's amazing how shallow some people are.

MisterAnderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MisterAnderson

@cameron83:

An entomologist who branches out into robotics and AI gives him a lot of utility! And then, his power set on top of that...?

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83:

An entomologist who branches out into robotics and AI gives him a lot of utility! And then, his power set on top of that...?

lol yup

Even his small powerset is very useful. If he wanted,he can just go up in someones brain,right? Although he would never really do that (I think).

MisterAnderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for pietromaximoffistheman
    PietroMaximoffIsTheMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@misteranderson: Look it up. Pictures of Reed back slapping Sue, and he's neglected her a lot, while Hank was nothing but apologetic. Also Spider-Man hit pregnant Mary Jane across a damn room. That's a lot worse than Hank did. But who continues to get the most shit for no reason? Hank.

MisterAnderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MisterAnderson

@pietromaximoffistheman:

Perhaps fans find it easy to forgive Reed and Peter because their wives did. Janet didn't forgive Hank. She left.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3255e75dae4
    deactivated-5e3255e75dae4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself said:

Im not saying he's lame, or he sucks, I just wanted to know what he does on the team since I barley read Avenger titles.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gor724 said:

@war_killer said:

@danhimself said:

Im not saying he's lame, or he sucks, I just wanted to know what he does on the team since I barley read Avenger titles.

Oh, when I made that comment I wasn't speaking of you specifically, I was speaking of how people in general think of Ant-Man/Hank Pym. Most people who have never read a comic about him simply see him as this guy who can shrink and talk to ants and they judge him according to those things, yet they never seem to notice that Hank Pym is one of the smartest minds on the planet, rivaling the likes of Tony Stark and Reed Richards. What he brings to the Avengers is just that, his intellect. Originally when the team first formed, Iron Man's identity wasn't publicly known therefore he couldn't show how smart he was because it would reveal that he was Tony Stark, this made Ant-Man the team's resident genius and even after Tony become publicly known as Iron Man, Hank Pym is still considered one of the most brilliant minds in the Marvel Universe. Probably the biggest example of how smart he is would be him being chosen as Earth's Scientist Supreme, exceeding other more popular scientist such as Reed Richards or Tony Stark, because at the core of it Hank Pym was a true scientist. Reed Richards is an explorer and Tony Stark is an inventor, but Hank Pym strives to use science to make the impossible possible and that is why he is considered one of the greatest, if not arguable the greatest mind on the planet.

Comicdude360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He has tons of powers but his greatest gift is his mind.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

@pietromaximoffistheman: Reed gets a pass because he was trying to free Sue from mind control. But you're point is still valid. Hank has earned some forgiveness.

KDub_inc_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gor724: him and Janet formed the avengers. I won't go in to explaiing every little reason he is or was or should be but there is good reason bud

Comicdude360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kdub_inc_: little late here bud. The guy posted a year ago and is inactive now. :)

KDub_inc_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By KDub_inc_

@comicdude360: yeah I just joined and am so enthusiastic that I neglect to read the post dates lol

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer: you mean the eternity that was actually Loki in disguise? I agree with you overall but it ticks me ofv when people use false info to try and prove a point.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

The whole thing was his idea in the first place!

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer: you mean the eternity that was actually Loki in disguise? I agree with you overall but it ticks me ofv when people use false info to try and prove a point.

What false info are you talking about? I was going literally off of the issues from Mighty Avengers were Hank Pym was chosen by Eternity as Earth's Scientist Supreme. When was it revealed that it was actually Loki in disguise, because I only remember Loki pretending to be Scarlet Witch?

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer: Loki admits to duping Hank in Mighty Avengers 26 or so I've been told

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer: Loki admits to duping Hank in Mighty Avengers 26 or so I've been told

Loki isn't the best source for truth.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.