Follow

Hank Pym

Character » Hank Pym appears in 3721 issues.

Hank Pym is a scientific genius, a founding member of the Avengers, the creator of Pym Particles and of Ultron, and a modern-day superhero who suffers from a Bipolar disorder. He has acted under many memorable identities such as Ant-Man, Giant Man, Goliath, Yellowjacket, and the Wasp. He is also the Earth's Scientist Supreme, as decreed by Eternity.

Hank Pym's Ant-Man Origin

JairamGanpat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By JairamGanpat

With the new FF series, I've really been interested in getting to know all the Ant-Men.

HOWEVER, After reading season 1 and the Avengers Origins Ant-Man and Wasp one-shot, I'm not quite sure which is Hank Pym's correct origin...

Is one of them a retcon or did someone just mess up? I'm not sure why it would be necessary to change his origin. Both books were made very recently though. :(

Also, the Ant-Man mantle has a very long history. Where do I go after reading these origins?

I have the Irredeemable Ant-Man run, Avengers Academy, Avengers: The Initiative, Secret Avengers, Avengers the CHildren's Crusade and Thunderbolts.

I'm thinking I read them in this order

• Irredeemable Ant-Man (Eric O'Grady)
    • Thunderbolts (Eric O'Grady)
    • Avengers the Initiative (Hank Pym)
    • Avengers: The Children's Crusade (Scott Lang)
    • Avengers Academy (Hank Pym)
    • Secret Avengers (Eric O'Grady)

Is there anything I should read before Irredeemable Ant-Man?

On top of that, I am very lost on what to read to learn about Scott Lang :/

What issue does Pym create Ultron?

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Gambit1024

I will answer all these questions the minute I get to a decent computer, I promise!

JairamGanpat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JairamGanpat

@Gambit1024 said:

I will answer all these questions the minute I get to a decent computer, I promise!

lol thank you

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Gambit1024

@JairamGanpat: Ok! I'm here for you, fellow Ant-Fan!

With the new FF series, I've really been interested in getting to know all the Ant-Men.

Congratulations! Hank Pym is extremely underrated, Lang is great, and O'Grady's the f*cking man.

HOWEVER, After reading season 1 and the Avengers Origins Ant-Man and Wasp one-shot, I'm not quite sure which is Hank Pym's correct origin...

Hopefully I can help. I did read the one-shot, but that was a little while ago. The Season One book I did read fairly recently, so that's fresher in my mind.

Is one of them a retcon or did someone just mess up? I'm not sure why it would be necessary to change his origin. Both books were made very recently though. :(

That's actually a good question. I've read all the Season One books that have come out so far, but no one (to my knowledge) has ever came out and said that "Hey, this is a reboot of their origins." The Season One book seemed a little redundant after following the one-shot, but hey, more Hank is good for me. Refresh my mind, though: is there anything in the one-shot that would cancel out anything in Season One? The reason I ask is because I remember that Season One takes place before Jan, and the one-shot introduces her.

Also, the Ant-Man mantle has a very long history. Where do I go after reading these origins?

Not as long as you may think, actually. For a character that's been around since the 60's, he (or any other Ant-Man, for that matter) doesn't get enough exposure at all. Not nearly as much as the other Avengers, anyway. Looking at your list, you seem to have almost everything current that's worth reading. Here's a few things I'd recommend, though:

• Essential Ant-Man- This is your earliest stuff. It includes Pym's actual origin, and a bunch of his early stories.
    • Ant-Man and Wasp- This is a mini-series that takes place between Hank's time at Avengers Academy and O'Grady's early days as a Secret Avenger. Very fun, Pym makes heaven, and it's awesome.
    • Avengers: The Many Faces of Hank Pym- A trade that collects some various stories featuring Pym in his many aliases. After Essential, but before the more current stuff.
    • Avengers: The trial of Yellowjacket- A trade where Pym has a breakdown, does some things, and the Avengers put him on trial. After Essential, and before some of the stories in The Many Faces of Hank Pym.

I also heavily recommend three Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes episodes that really do the character justice:

• Man on the Ant Hill
    • To Steal an Ant-Man
    • Yellowjacket
    I have the Irredeemable Ant-Man run, Avengers Academy, Avengers: The Initiative, Secret Avengers, Avengers the CHildren's Crusade and Thunderbolts.
    I'm thinking I read them in this order
    • Irredeemable Ant-Man (Eric O'Grady)
    • Thunderbolts (Eric O'Grady)
    • Avengers the Initiative (Hank Pym)
    • Avengers: The Children's Crusade (Scott Lang)
    • Avengers Academy (Hank Pym)
    • Secret Avengers (Eric O'Grady)

Excellent collection so far. The Children's Crusade barely has anything to do with Lang, other than obviously bringing him back from the dead, but other than that, that order should be alright. Pym does play a part in events like Civil War and Secret Invasion, but if you're only reading it for him, they aren't worth the buy.

Is there anything I should read before Irredeemable Ant-Man?

Not really, I don't think. Robert Kirkman is very good with new-reader-friendly books like this.

On top of that, I am very lost on what to read to learn about Scott Lang :/

Lang's a tricky one because he was right in the middle. Truth told, the reading selection isn't so great. But that episode of Avengers: EMH, To Steal an Ant-Man, gives you everything you need to know about Lang.

What issue does Pym create Ultron?

I believe it was Ultron's first appearence in Avengers #54 or somewhere in that era. Not 100% sure, though.

I really hope I helped! Ant-Man's a great character, and I hope you enjoy!

JairamGanpat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JairamGanpat

@Gambit1024: Okay, about Season 1 and Avengers Origins:

They both start out with Pym's wife Maria dying

In Season1 Pym is working for Egghead industries thanks to his father's connections even though Hank isn't too happy about it. Egghead eventually steals Hank's formulas and reverse engineers his helmet and they fight. Janet is never mentioned in this book.

In Avengers Origins, Hank Pym can't even get his research funded until he meets Janet because Janet's father is in the science committee that would otherwise basically reject Hank's proposal. After meeting Janet is when he finally creates his formulas and helmet. The book goes on to tell Wasp's origin and Egghead is never mentioned here.

So basically, Avengers Origins cuts out Ant-Man's first battle with Egghead which would in effect completely cut out Season one from continuity.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE lol :p

Also, thanks for the help with Ant-Man. None of the people in my comic shop know anything about him lol

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Gambit1024

@JairamGanpat: Oh, that's right. In that case, since nothing's ever been said to be the "official" re-telling, I think it's up to you to decide until Marvel tells us what's up, lol. Personally, I think Avengers Origins is the one to listen to, but that's just me.

JairamGanpat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JairamGanpat

@Gambit1024: Well I liked the Avengers Origin one better anyway. It told the story so well and the art was phenomenal. :D

I guess I'll move on to the next Ant-Man books on my list. I'll keep you posted. :)

One more thing, what's up with the matchstick? they kept that part of the story in both books lol

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Gambit1024

@JairamGanpat: Very much agreed, and please do!

The matchstick? We don't talk about the matchstick on here. (Not because I have no idea why it was in both books or anything...)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.