Follow

Hank Pym

Character » Hank Pym appears in 3721 issues.

Hank Pym is a scientific genius, a founding member of the Avengers, the creator of Pym Particles and of Ultron, and a modern-day superhero who suffers from a Bipolar disorder. He has acted under many memorable identities such as Ant-Man, Giant Man, Goliath, Yellowjacket, and the Wasp. He is also the Earth's Scientist Supreme, as decreed by Eternity.

Hank Pym is cool!

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Loki9876

This thread or article is devoted to one of the original avengers called Hank Pym because I think that he's very cool.

bad image

So what, why don't you make a thread about Batman? He's cool, you ask. Yes but everyone knows that Batman is cool,

a lot of people believe that Hank Pym is a lame character. Non-comic-reading people think that his powers are lame and comicbook fans think about one particular scene, This one:

I don't want to defend the actions that he did because violence is never allright but there are some nuances you have to consider. First when he did this he was having a mental breakdown

and he had a lot of stress. Egghead was messing with him when Hank did this. Secondly it was meant to be an accident. The writer wanted Hank to hit her by accident when he was talking

fustrated to Janet. The artist drew it like this and because they didn't had any spare time to change this mistake, marvel kept it this way. Third we allways remeber this act of violence when

talking about Hank, but what about the other character Reed has hit Sue (she was possessed) and treated her very poorly. Batman slapt Dick Grayson (he did again in the new 52) which is

child abuse and Iron man wore and flew his suit while being drunk which is extremely dangerous. They are forgiven but somehow we can never forgive Hank Pym. Fourth, Hank Pym did it, he

knows this and never forgets this or forgives himself. He has a lot of shame and realy tries to become a better person. In avengers academy you could even see that he started a center were

women who experienced spousal abuse could find help. All these things made his character more complex and less cardboard cut if you ask me.

Sientist Supreme

That isn't realy a reason to think he's cool, no not really but what is a reason is that he is the scientist supreme. The Enternity gave him this title.

You could say that that doesn't mean anything characters like Reed Richards or Victor Von Doom are smarter, and you are right but every scientist

has their own expertise (not every character) you could say. Bruce Banner is expert in Gamma radiation, Tony Stark in well uhm weapons,etc...

Hank Pym isn't only an expert in A.I. but he's also an expert in science that has to do with different dimensions. These inventions are so bizarre

that it almost looks like magic. Hank traveled trough the dreamscape a dimension between minds sort to say. Travelled around the door by just opening

a door (Pymparticle door). Had a base in his own pocketdimension, visited the microverse and a lot of other cool stuff.

Another reason why he is cool is that he created Ultron, yes, yes Ultron is evil but nonetheless he is awesome. Ultron is one impressive invention,

he's one of the greatest enemies of the avengers and whitout Ultron we wouldn't have the Vision or Jocasta.

the future

Another reason why it is a great fan for Pymfans is the upcomming Ant-man movie in 2015. I sure do hope that it will be Hank Pym and not Scott Lang or Eric O'grady.

But where is he now? I mean in the marvelNOW, I haven't seen him anywhere (he might be dead but everyone knows that won't last long). He could be a good memeber of the New Avengers with all these smart characters involved. He isn't but maybe in the future. He sould have a role in the upcomming Age of Ultron arc.

For some cool Hank Pym comics I would recommend the mighty avengers run where he's team leader, Ant-man and the wasp mini and perhaps avengers academy.

oh 1 more thing why he's awesome, this scene:

Sideslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Sideslash

I concur with everything here. Hank Pym is so underrated.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Loki9876

@Sideslash: thanks dude

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

The thing about Hank Pym is that he's the only Marvel hero who's actually tried to make up for hitting a spouse/girlfriend and taken responsibility for it. Pete, Thor, Reed, they've all hit their spouses, but it's never heard of again.  

Because Hank tried to do the right thing after recognising that he'd done the wrong thing, he's punished for it.  

Of course, none of this would have happened if he were "cooler". 

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Loki9876

@FadeToBlackBolt: that's true, he always wanted to become a better person.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Loki9876

BUMPYDIDOO

Alchemax_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Alchemax_7

I agree, he is pretty cool.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Loki9876

yeah he is

GodDamnIronMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By GodDamnIronMan

He's cool...only second to Stark.

PrimeDirective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PrimeDirective

I too feel Hank gets a bum rap... I mean, his powerset is pretty cool, he's as smart as Reed or Tony (although his inventions are less leathal with the exception of Ultron), and he's less of a tool than either of the aforementioned individuals. I just don't get it... I mean, if Hank summoned a big-enough swarm of ants, no one could resist that. They'd crawl though all the cracks and crevices in Doom and Iron Man's armor. Their little venous acidic bite would make a puddle out of Reed in high enough doses. And if all else fails, he can just grow super large and stomp on opponents. That tends to work well.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Loki9876

@GodDamnIronMan: Iron man is also pretty cool.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lykopis

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

The thing about Hank Pym is that he's the only Marvel hero who's actually tried to make up for hitting a spouse/girlfriend and taken responsibility for it. Pete, Thor, Reed, they've all hit their spouses, but it's never heard of again. Because Hank tried to do the right thing after recognising that he'd done the wrong thing, he's punished for it. Of course, none of this would have happened if he were "cooler".

I am going to have to disagree just a tad here. Jan wanted him to seek professional help and he said no. When it comes to partner abuse, therapy is needed - the attitude of it never happening again is the wrong one to take. Plus, his pointing out that the tremendous stress he was under at the time was more at fault than his reaction to it proves it. He never owned up to the hit being entirely his fault. It was.

I do agree about how the others were allowed to get away with similar behaviour without being torn apart because of it on panel like Hank. And I do like Hank. Just would have been better had he taken that route.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Gambit1024

Loki9876, the minute I get to a real computer, you get a follow. Great job.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#14  Edited By Teerack

It's a real shame they're killing him off and just kind of acting like it's not happening.

Matchstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Matchstick

Great post! I have to agree, Pym is very cool. I think the reason he's not a bigger character in the Marvel U is because they've messed with his identity so much he hasn't gotten much of a chance to establish himself. He's used 5 different identities over the years and to make matters worse some of those identies have been used by others as well. The guy might as well be a Quintesson. He doesn't really have much of an identity to call his own. Compare that to someone like Stark, who's always been Iron Man, and it's no wonder he doesn't get more credit.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @lykopis said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

The thing about Hank Pym is that he's the only Marvel hero who's actually tried to make up for hitting a spouse/girlfriend and taken responsibility for it. Pete, Thor, Reed, they've all hit their spouses, but it's never heard of again. Because Hank tried to do the right thing after recognising that he'd done the wrong thing, he's punished for it. Of course, none of this would have happened if he were "cooler".

I am going to have to disagree just a tad here. Jan wanted him to seek professional help and he said no. When it comes to partner abuse, therapy is needed - the attitude of it never happening again is the wrong one to take. Plus, his pointing out that the tremendous stress he was under at the time was more at fault than his reaction to it proves it. He never owned up to the hit being entirely his fault. It was.

I do agree about how the others were allowed to get away with similar behaviour without being torn apart because of it on panel like Hank. And I do like Hank. Just would have been better had he taken that route.

Well yes, that was initially the case. But he grew up, as we all do. So while his attitude was wrong initially, it did improve. And in many ways, that defiance and attempt to self-rationalise is a very, very human thing. It's not the way he ideally should have behaved, but it's one that is "realistic".  

And he did mature, which to me, makes him a stronger character. People who screw up and instantly do the right thing, rather than learn from those mistakes, are far less empathetic. At least to me. Seeing as I'm someone who screws up, and then screws up again, and then maybe gets right on the third try. 
    Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By Yung ANcient One

Another new costume with no new codename would be cool. (+)

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By lykopis

@FadeToBlackBolt:

Lykopis - 2

FadeToBlackBolt: - 0

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

@lykopis: Pretty sure I agreed with you, so;

Lykopis - 1

FadeToBlackBolt - 1

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By lykopis

@FadeToBlackBolt:

Fine.

-_-

**adjusts scoreboard**

Hawkeye446

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#21  Edited By Hawkeye446

@lykopis: @FadeToBlackBolt: Pretty much my thoughts.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Loki9876

@Gambit1024: thanks dude :)

NewComicGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NewComicGuy

I haven't read any Ant-Man or Hank Pym, but I am picking up one of his graphic novels here soon that I came across. I didn't grab it already because there were a few other things I already had in mind. Fans of his can only hope that it's him that is Ant-Man on the big screen and that he is successful because that will most certainly assure him of a solo run.

Avatar image for avengers_4everxx
    Avengers_4everXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Avengers_4everXX

I am so glad you made this post! Hank is one of my favorite characters and he gets such a bad rap. I hate the way marvel treats him. I mean he's a freaking founding Avenger and people like Wolverine are given more prominence in the Avengers organization? Really? And I completely believe he is the smartest character in the marvel universe. I know editorial keeps cramming it down our throats that Reed and Tony are smarter, but for me it will always be Hank. I love that arc in Mighty Avengers where he takes down Reed. In Reed's own house. It was great, because let's face, that pompous a** needed to be knocked down a couple hundred pegs

Avatar image for vampireselektor
    VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By VampireSelektor

I was surprised to find out Pym helped develop the Phoenix-Buster armor with Stark. I wonder if Pym helped others with their work.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By cameron83

@Loki9876 said:

This thread or article is devoted to one of the original avengers called Hank Pym because I think that he's very cool.

bad image

So what, why don't you make a thread about Batman? He's cool, you ask. Yes but everyone knows that Batman is cool,

a lot of people believe that Hank Pym is a lame character. Non-comic-reading people think that his powers are lame and comicbook fans think about one particular scene, This one:

I don't want to defend the actions that he did because violence is never allright but there are some nuances you have to consider. First when he did this he was having a mental breakdown

and he had a lot of stress. Egghead was messing with him when Hank did this. Secondly it was meant to be an accident. The writer wanted Hank to hit her by accident when he was talking

fustrated to Janet. The artist drew it like this and because they didn't had any spare time to change this mistake, marvel kept it this way. Third we allways remeber this act of violence when

talking about Hank, but what about the other character Reed has hit Sue (she was possessed) and treated her very poorly. Batman slapt Dick Grayson (he did again in the new 52) which is

child abuse and Iron man wore and flew his suit while being drunk which is extremely dangerous. They are forgiven but somehow we can never forgive Hank Pym. Fourth, Hank Pym did it, he

knows this and never forgets this or forgives himself. He has a lot of shame and realy tries to become a better person. In avengers academy you could even see that he started a center were

women who experienced spousal abuse could find help. All these things made his character more complex and less cardboard cut if you ask me.

Sientist Supreme

That isn't realy a reason to think he's cool, no not really but what is a reason is that he is the scientist supreme. The Enternity gave him this title.

You could say that that doesn't mean anything characters like Reed Richards or Victor Von Doom are smarter, and you are right but every scientist

has their own expertise (not every character) you could say. Bruce Banner is expert in Gamma radiation, Tony Stark in well uhm weapons,etc...

Hank Pym isn't only an expert in A.I. but he's also an expert in science that has to do with different dimensions. These inventions are so bizarre

that it almost looks like magic. Hank traveled trough the dreamscape a dimension between mids sort to say. Travelled around the door by just opening

a door (Pymparticle door). Had a base in his own pocketdimension, visited the microverse and a lot of other cool stuff.

Another reason why he is cool is that he created Ultron, yes, yes Ultron is evil but nonetheless he is awesome. Ultron is one impressive invention,

he's one of the greatest enemies of the avengers and whitout Ultron we wouldn't have the Vision or Jocasta.

the future

Another reason why it is a great fan for Pymfans is the upcomming Ant-man movie in 2015. I sure do hope that it will be Hank Pym and not Scott Lang or Eric O'grady.

But were is he now? I mean in the marvelNOW, I haven't seen him anywhere (he might be dead but everyone knows that won't last long). He could be a good memeber of the New Avengers with all these smart characters involved. He isn't but maybe in the future. He sould have a role in the upcomming Age of Ultron arc.

For some cool Hank Pym comics I would recommend the mighty avengers run where he's team leader, Ant-man and the wasp mini and perhaps avengers academy.

oh 1 more thing why he's awesome, this scene:

Agreed,Hank Pym is underrated and that scene is incredibly out of context.But I think you were out of context too with the batman thing.Didn't he do that to show dick that he was gonna be a talon....I don't think he did it out of anger or frustration,and I thought dick was older than 18...and where is that last image from,it looks pretty cool.

And one last thing

Is he dead?

Yai_Inn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Yai_Inn

he also created heaven

I thought it was confirmed already that Scott Lang is going to be the focus Ant-Man in the movie, with flash backs to Pym?

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PrinceIMC

I love Hank Pym, he just suffers from bad press sort of like Aquaman. People think Hank is just a nerd who shrinks and talks to ants.

@Yai_Inn said:

he also created heaven

I thought it was confirmed already that Scott Lang is going to be the focus Ant-Man in the movie, with flash backs to Pym?

That was said a while ago but the script has gone through numerous rewrites since then.

Yai_Inn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Yai_Inn

@PrinceIMC: Ahh so there's still hope. This is great news.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Loki9876

@cameron83: yes he was above 18 but still and Batman also hit him a long time ago, still the point was that other characters did it also. I don't know if he's realy dead. I think he would be cool in New Avengers.

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31  Edited By Aiden Cross

Good blog! Obviously he was wrong for hitting Janet and it speaks for him that he still regrets it to this day. But since that moment he's grown a lot as a character. Should this moment define him? No. But should it be remembered? Yes. Because it is part of his character. I like seeing characters that are flawed, that do buckle under stress and what not. It makes them more human and interesting to read about. No one is perfect and from mistakes and recognizing your flaws it makes you a better person. The same goes for Hank :)

JJ62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By JJ62

Great blog post! Pym is a great superhero, everyone thinks he's just a nerd to who talks to insects and hits women. But he's so much more, I like Giant-Man the best of all his personas. The thing is I only remember one instance where he hit Jan, no one ever forgives him for that (not even himself), but other heroes have acted abusively towards their women like Stark and Thor and they are forgiven instantly because they are "cooler" than him. Yeah man I agree with all your points...

Comicdude360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Pym needs more of a spotlight.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.