Follow

Hal Jordan

Character » Hal Jordan appears in 5295 issues.

With the ability to overcome great fear and harness the power of will, test-pilot Hal Jordan was chosen to be the Green Lantern of Sector 2814 inheriting the ring of the dying alien Green Lantern, Abin Sur. He later on went to creating his own power ring from his own will power. Through sheer will power and determination, Hal has established an impressive record of heroism across the galaxy with the help of his fellow Green Lanterns as well as his peers in the Justice League.

What if: The 2011 GL didn't "flop"?

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

What if the 2011 GL movie didn't flop at the box office? What if it still wasn't critically acclaimed (or could've been), but still made around the same amount of money that MoS made? What do you think would've happened?

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

GL comics would probably still be selling well if it didn't bomb, so that would have been nice.

At any rate if the movie was good I think it would have been a bold and smart way to start a cinematic universe

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By zaied

Green Lantern 2 probably would've happened with Sinestro as the main villain. Not sure if it would've set the foundation for their cinematic universe since MoS is quite a bit different in tone.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Saint_Sophie

GL comics would probably still be selling well if it didn't bomb.

They are? I mean, Superman and Hulk have had their fair share of horrible movies..

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_sophie: They still sell well and make money, but not nearly as well as they were before that film bombed. Before that GL comics were outselling Justice League and Batman.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RDClip

MoS only came out 2 years after GL. So, I doubt it would be that different. Maybe it would include some reference to GL. WBDC probably would have drawn up plans for a DCCU earlier.

Though if GL came out as-is and was a success, I doubt DC movies would have been looked upon favourably being that GL is universally accepted as one of the worst superhero movies ever made. MoS, on the other hand, is either loved or hated and people will never agree on whether it is a good movie or bad movie.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Saint_Sophie

@captainmarvel4ever said:

@saint_sophie: They still sell well and make money, but not nearly as well as they were before that film bombed. Before that GL comics were outselling Justice League and Batman.

Whoa those are some impressive numbers. Shocked to see that one movie had such an impact..

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_sophie: Well the movie hit around the same time as the reboot, so I'm guessing that when all the new readers came in they didn't feel like picking up a book associated with such a huge flop.

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GL comics would probably still be selling well if it didn't bomb, so that would have been nice.

No it wouldn't. Green Lantern comics would still decline in sales currently regardless of the film's success.

At any rate if the movie was good I think it would have been a bold and smart way to start a cinematic universe

I agree.

Whoa those are some impressive numbers. Shocked to see that one movie had such an impact..

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

The failure of the film had nothing to do with the Green Lantern comics declining in sales figures.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mysoulz: We already know that movies have a huge impact on sales of comics, and the fact is they took a dive right around the same time as that film. Seems like a pretty fair assessment.

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: Green Lantern comics had never effect in sales figures with the film's release and it certainly isn't the cause that dropped tremendously when Vendiiti started writing the title.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mysoulz: No they were going down even before Venditti came on

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: The Green Lantern series was still a top tier selling franchise months after the films release. On what you're speaking of had to do with Marvel's double shipping along with their 3.99 price tag.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

If green lantern hadnt bombed, we would have a justice movie a lot sooner. From what Ive heard this was supposed to have been the start of a dccu. The sequal would have Sinestro as the villain and Star Saphire may have appeared. I also heard that Flash would have been the next to get a movie and a possible crossover with the two. The dccu would have also stayed closer in tone and style to Green Lantern. Man of Steel also wouldnt have been made the only reason it was made was to have another shot at a future Justice League movie. So I guess it all depends on whether or not you liked mand of steel.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Would have got a sequel.....its a shame the GL movie flopped. I honestly don't think it was as bad as the critics made out. DC tried to make it funnier and more light hearted and just missed the mark, because Ryan Reynolds sounded and looked too goofy and it was cheesy. Personally I think GL is a better movie than Daredevil or at least one Batman film I can think of and both those characters have bounced back!

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If green lantern hadnt bombed, we would have a justice movie a lot sooner. From what Ive heard this was supposed to have been the start of a dccu. The sequal would have Sinestro as the villain and Star Saphire may have appeared. I also heard that Flash would have been the next to get a movie and a possible crossover with the two. The dccu would have also stayed closer in tone and style to Green Lantern. Man of Steel also wouldnt have been made the only reason it was made was to have another shot at a future Justice League movie. So I guess it all depends on whether or not you liked mand of steel.

Interesting. Would've been interesting to see how Blake Lively would've done as Star Sapphire.

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_sophie: I dont know its one of those big casting what ifs like would Billy Dee Williams have been a good Two Face or Nicolas Cage as Superman you just dont know.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_sophie: I dont know its one of those big casting what ifs like would Billy Dee Williams have been a good Two Face or Nicolas Cage as Superman you just dont know.

Yeah.. I guess we can only ponder on the possibility.

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

@zaied: Green Lantern was meant to be the start of their cinematic universe but when it flopped they chose man of steel instead

SMGameHHH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Think everything would remain the same, besides probably no Deadpool movie and a Green Lantern 2 with main antagonist Sinestro.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

all of the Justice Leaguers would have animated costumes.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for captainlantern76
    CaptainLantern76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

1) GL would get a boost in popularity.

2) It'd be the start of the DCEU.

3) Hal Jordan would appear in the Justice League movie.

4) There'd be a sequel that would adapt the Sinestro Corps War.

5) We could see him train John Stewart and/or Guy Gardner in the sequel as well.

6) Life would be better.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.