Follow

Hal Jordan

Character » Hal Jordan appears in 5295 issues.

With the ability to overcome great fear and harness the power of will, test-pilot Hal Jordan was chosen to be the Green Lantern of Sector 2814 inheriting the ring of the dying alien Green Lantern, Abin Sur. He later on went to creating his own power ring from his own will power. Through sheer will power and determination, Hal has established an impressive record of heroism across the galaxy with the help of his fellow Green Lanterns as well as his peers in the Justice League.

How powerful is Hal Jordan?

ndm5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have recently started to get into Green Lantern comics, and I have really taken an interest in Hal Jordan. I find the whole concept of a Green Lantern's powers awesome, but one thing I have noticed is they tend to be fairly inconsistent. A few stories I have read are:

Sinestro Corps War

Blackest Night

New 52 series

and various comics since his rebirth in 2004

The popular theme seems to be, the corps has an enemy that they can't stack up against, so they get a big power up. Such as Hal becoming a black lantern, or using the white light in Blackest Night. I'm just wondering what type of damage can Hal do at normal levels? How does that damage output compare to other characters?

Avatar image for supermanwithatan01
    Supermanwithatan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
    captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@ndm5: To answer your question. Hal is the type of character who's power levels are underrated (He's Silver Surfer+), and anyone who reads his comics, would be aware that Hal is a herald+ character. Compared to people like Superman, he would literally just blast a hole through them. When he unleashes his power, he is capable of holding his own against abstracts, and he is so versatile that it isn't even funny.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@ndm5: To answer your question. Hal is the type of character who's power levels are underrated (He's Silver Surfer+), and anyone who reads his comics, would be aware that Hal is a herald+ character. Compared to people like Superman, he would literally just blast a hole through them. When he unleashes his power, he is capable of holding his own against abstracts, and he is so versatile that it isn't even funny.

I hope this is an exagerration. I haven't read all the GL books yet, and I love Hal but I am pretty sure this is inaccurate. Hal stood no chance against Orion in Godhead; if he can't handle a New God I'm pretty sure he is not Herald status like Surfer. And Hal most definitely cannot blow a hole through Superman.

Hal is a strong character overall but not on Superman's level.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Saint_Sophie

@sagejonathan: Lanterns have and can give Superman level characters trouble.

captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sagejonathan: Oh yeah, sorry. I forgot to mention that's how his Post Crisis version is. New 52 Hal's power levels is like a baby compared to the Post Crisis version.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By 2chimcha3

@saint_sophie: The general consensus seems to be that four or five strong lanterns can handle superman. I agree that a single lantern can cause trouble for Superman, I just wouldn't go as far as to say that one could blow a hole through him or defeat him single handedly.

@captain_batman_ftw: I never knew Hal was that strong before Flashpoint; I've only read New 52 GL and up to Secret Origin so far in Johns pre new 52 run. I'm interested to see just how strong he gets then...

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain_batman_ftw: I never knew Hal was that strong before Flashpoint; I've only read New 52 GL and up to Secret Origin so far in Johns pre new 52 run. I'm interested to see just how strong he gets then...

You can take a look at his respect thread if you haven't already.

captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sagejonathan: Nah, New 52 Hal isn't going to make a change in power levels when characters like Superman are supposed to get portrayed more powerful than Hal, and N52 Superman isn't even planetary.

opis34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

opis34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain_batman_ftw: Is lifting the planet for 5 days not planetary? Is moving Warworld not planetary? Is moving Brainiacs mothership that was many times the size of Earth(with help from Martian Manhunter) not planetary. Is being able to survive inside a black hole or in the heart of the sun not planetary? I could go on but I hope you see my point.

For more feats look here: http://www.comicvine.com/superman/4005-1807/forums/new-52-superman-capability-thread-1628483/#56

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@opis34 said:

@captain_batman_ftw: Is lifting the planet for 5 days not planetary? Is moving Warworld not planetary? Is moving Brainiacs mothership that was many times the size of Earth(with help from Martian Manhunter) not planetary. Is being able to survive inside a black hole or in the heart of the sun not planetary? I could go on but I hope you see my point.

For more feats look here: http://www.comicvine.com/superman/4005-1807/forums/new-52-superman-capability-thread-1628483/#56

When did he move Warworld? Are you refering to the Batman/Superman series? If so, then I don't remember. Also, taking a feat out of context doesn't make your case look any better. He pushed Brainiac's mothership with the help of Martian Manhunter, and not to mention that he sucked in a lot of yellow sun energy. Yeah, he survived inside of a black hole, but he also got knocked out by a planet getting destroyed in Superman #38 or something like that.

opis34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By opis34

@captain_batman_ftw: If you look closely at my comment you would see I said he pushed the ship with Martians help as for the solar energy most of that was used for that giant heat vision he used to power that device. As for the planet exploding knocking him out he had his eyes closed for one panel then immediately opened them again with no damage to his body. Anyway he still survived if a person surviving a planet exploding is not planetary level I don't know what is.

Avatar image for welcometowendys
    WelcomeToWendys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain_batman_ftw:

Your stupid lols Hal Jordan could beat superman if he had all 5 lantern rings then yes he would hold his own but givin that give superman 5 min in sun and lols gg

Stefano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pre new 52 Hal was very powerful, arguably more powerful than Superman. He has defeated Mongul, Blasted a hole through Amazo, killed Krona, defeated the JLA, etc.

Green Lanterns in general are among the most power heroes, John and Kilowog have beaten Superman, Kyle has contained a Sun and Ultraman for hours.

On the other hand new 52 Hal is much weaker. He seems to be below Superman, Wonder Woman, and Orion. His constructs are constantly being shattered

LeaderVladimir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

Antebellum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Post-Crisis he was Planet to Planet +.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.