Follow

Gwen Stacy

Character » Gwen Stacy appears in 1592 issues.

Gwen Stacy was the first true love of Peter Parker. She's best known for her tragic death by being thrown off from the Brooklyn Bridge by the Green Goblin. The Earth-65 version is Spider-Gwen who is a major player in the Spider family.

The Real Gwen Stacy

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Edited By HexThis

Gwen Stacy is a fascinating specimen when it comes to comic book characters. She's a civilian, she's been dead for ages, and she wasn't ever a centric character but people still can't get enough of her. One thing that initially attracted me personally to Gwen was that she was almost like a time-capsule in that she's forever stuck in 60's mod fashion. Gwen Stacy has such an iconic look to her that stripes, blond hair, bangs, a headband, go-go boots, and skirt equal Gwen Stacy to me. Now, you could argue that's a superficial affection I have for her and that Gwen Stacy the character fails to be anything more than a Mary-Sue figure in the Spider-man franchise. After-all, Gwen's more recent appearances are usually splash pages of sweet nothings with Gwen and Peter frolicking through New York all ending with Gwen lying limp in his arms as he cries out in agony. This is something I can't abide, I don't like any characters because they're "hot" or "have cool powers", I need substance and so I deduced the only way I could get a firm grasp on Gwen was to read every issue she'd ever been in before she died. Now that I have, I find Gwen to actually be infinitely more fascinating, complex, and conflicted than she's ever been given credit for, rather than ogling her death or relating everything back to Peter I realize she underwent a rather unlikely and surprising transition throughout her run on Amazing Spider-man. Beneath is what I found in pursuit of Ms. Stacy..... 

MY FINDINGS

-The Signature Gwen Stacy Look-  That iconic hair I was speaking of? It wasn't a fixture at all in Gwen's initial appearance. Though she's usually depicted as angelic and saintly, Gwen actually had a more devil-like, vixen finesse early on. She had no bangs, and her hair was parted with clips on either side above her forehead that almost looked

No Caption Provided
    like devil horns and though Mary-Jane's always been the one to wear more bold colors in contrast to Gwen, Gwen initially wore mostly red and black. 

- Petey and Gwen: Where Sparks Flew - Along with her devilish appearance, Gwen was also quite a force of nature back in the day. We're accustomed to seeing Gwen vulnerable and mostly agreeable but initially she was sassy and brazen even in her pursuit of Peter. Being that she hung around Flash and Harry, Gwen was rather used to attention from men and is depicted as having crowds of suitors fawning over her only to be rejected by the persnickety Gwen. The only man who didn't appear to proposition or ogle her was Peter Parker which immediately won her respect. Unfortunately, Peter barely notices Gwen initially and all her attempts at catching his attention are met with unintentionally chilly reception. She asks for pen during lab class and Peter barely turned his head to give it to her which Gwen found rude and disrespectful. The test tube he's working with explodes thanks to a prank Harry and Flash play on him which results in Peter getting into trouble with their professor. Gwen, in an effort to make amends, influences Harry to take Peter out for a soda to make up for it. Awh, so sweet but when Gwen tries to catch Peter's attention later on in the lab and he seemingly ignored her and ran off, Gwen then becomes deeply resentful. "The unmitigated nerve of him! Nobody gives Gwen Stacy the brush off that way! You, young man, are going to regret that, I promise!" says Gwen as he left. Emma Frost, eat your heart out! For the next few issues Gwen sweeps in only to snipe at Peter Parker for being a "snob" while having thought bubbles where her admissions of attraction to him become more and more frequent. As tension builds and builds, they finally reach an explosive confrontation....

Peter: Hi Gwen, we're both heading for the same class. Mind if I join you? 
    Gwen: What are you doing, Mr. Parker? Slumming? Usually you're too stuck up to say hello to anyone! 
    Peter: Well, at least I'm not a temperamental female who drools over a fella one day then acts like an icicle to him the next!                    
     Gangsta Stacy
     Gangsta Stacy

Gwen: Even if you are E.S.U's newest science scholarship whiz-kid, nobody talks to me that way....
    Peter: C'mon, Gwen, simmer down! Let's bury the hatchet, huh?
    Gwen: You think you can say what you want to me and then --- THWAK

Oh yes. Gwen tried to slap Peter right across the face. Can ya believe it?

Flash sees Peter and Gwen in the heat of the moment and breaks it up, thinking Peter was manhandling Gwen. He challenges Peter to a fist fight but Gwen intervenes and then Flash backs down. Frankly, though I don't know I would've slapped him, referring to Gwen simply as a "temperamental female" whom he refers to as "drooling over" him does kind of make Peter out to be a bit of a douche. He follows it up also by telling Gwen that if she damaged his profile all the girls at E.S.U will be disappointed. I don't blame Petey though because with Stan Lee running things and it being the 60's and all, a little sexism is par for the course. 

I do however enjoy Gwen Stacy's inner conflict about the whole situation. She's witty, sharp, assertive, and charismatic which wins many people over instantly yet secretly she longs to find something more substantial which she sees in Peter Parker. The only condition, however, is that she forfeit her overwhelming pride and win him over with genuineness and vulnerability which forces her to constantly be outside of her comfort zone around him. It's refreshingly un-damsel like of Gwen to have to leap this hurdle though, as a matter in fact, most of their interaction earlier doesn't involve Spidey saving her or anything of the sort, she's more a fixture in Peter's life. Why this side of her has never be explored again eludes me. 

- Gwendy's Shows Some Heart - You know, I liked "Blue" when I read it, of course I'm partial to anything Tim Sale, but if you recall there was a scene where Gwen rides on a motorcycle with Peter. He comes roaring in the parking lot, she's totally turned on by him, wind blowing through her hair as they drive off. Well guess what? Never happened.
     Unimpressed
     Unimpressed
    At least not that wayand I'm very disappointed it was depicted this way as I am very disappointed Gwen sleeps with Peter later on in that series on the basis that he "protected" her. It's a poor characterization of Gwen, she was always far more attracted to the fact that he was unlike the men around her who frequently resorted to overcompensating through things like fast cars to get attention. She's the daughter of a cop, Gwen's seen machismo left and right all her life and though she could occasionally be slightly vain, I can't imagine Gwen being so superficial. Peter did in fact buy a motorcycle though and he did in fact drive it right up to Gwen, Flash, and Harry in a parking lot on campus and while Harry and Flash were impressed, Gwen was disappointed.  She was disappointed because she knew it was just Peter's attempt at a gaining the acceptance of other people, she was disappointed because it seem disingenuous to her and believed Peter was wonderful as is. That's so much more profound and un-cliche than what "Blue" would depict later on. 

- Relationship with Mary Jane - Gwen and Mary Jane were frequently depicted as friends with a playful rivalry between the two of them and while that's somewhat true, it didn't come until far later on. As a matter in fact, as soon as Mary Jane came into the picture Gwen skedaddled for a while only to find that she began to miss the man, awkward misunderstandings and all. How does Gwen resolve this? Peeved by Peter's sudden disinterest in her as well as his running around with notorious "party girl" Mary Jane, she decides to invite both him and Mary Jane to Flash's party as he is military-bound. As Peter considers, he invites Gwen out for a soda & some English lit review but without a second thought she rejects him, telling him Mary Jane should suffice as a lit tutor seeing as how she'll be too busy setting up the party for Flash. Oh Gwen, you minx! Gotta love her approach though, where most women simply sit on the sidelines and get catty, Gwen practically invites confrontation but with the polished nature of a chick who just doesn't care.  Later that night, as she's being picked up, Gwen's a part of one of my favorite exchanges ever in any comic....

No Caption Provided
    Gwen: Ah, my two gallant knight on their speeding steed. 
    Harry: Gwen!! If...If I'd known you'd look like that I'd have gotten here sooner!
    Gwen: What did you expect me to look like? Yogi Bear? 
    Peter: If you think it's too chilly we can put the top up?  
    Gwen: Bite your tongue, impetuous one! We night night people thrive on moon burns!                                      

Whoa! Gotta love the theatricality of 60's Marvel, better diction and such gusto! As Peter says in the next panel, Gwen sends him "into orbit" whenever he looks at her at this point. Pretty spectacular, I say, though she's looking to be attention grabbing I rather enjoy Gwen Stacy's confidence here especially since it's so beautifully layered over the vulnerability we've seen earlier. This is Gwen's overcompensation, her pride beaming, it's fantastic because she truly has a fighting spirit about her, a real sass. Where ever did that go in later depictions? 

Though she's likely hurt and offended by Peter's bond to MJ, Gwen very casually eludes to the possibility she may interested in Flash or Harry the next few times she sees Peter. Though it would come off a little trampy on any other girl, Gwen plays it quite cleverly and sardonically. I especially like an exchange between Gwen and Peter where she accepts a ride on his motorcycle where Peter asks if Gwen finds Flash attractive to which she responds "How many blushing blondes would find a hip, handsome footballl hero totally repulsive?" it's hilarious because Gwen is far from blushing and the fact that she disingenuously and almost jokingly pigeonholes herself into a stereotype shows a level of self-awareness a superhero girlfriend wouldn't have shown at that time. 

Funnily enough, her rivalry with Mary Jane caused Gwen to change her hairstyle as well to the one we know and love now.....

No Caption Provided

Of course this spawns a friendship between Mary Jane and Gwen that involves the occasional catty remark here and there. Still, the camaraderie between the two is another thing I find particularly endearing about Gwen and her arc, to be magnanimous enough to forge a friendship between herself and MJ after so much rivalry was a far better resolution than simply going down the generic catfight route. Of course, this usually is the source of much fanfiction involving threeways but what can ya do? I suspect Gwendy would never go for it myself, far too territorial. 

- Daddy's Girl - Gwen's mother died a long time ago apparently and as such she has only her father. Police Captain George Stacy, the classic over-protective father who's intertwined with many of Gwen and Peter's storylines for a time. He's initially stern and hard to win over, he also smacks himself and blames it on Peter which causes Gwen to kick him out of the household, suffice to say, he has the kind of personality only a daughter could appreciate. But in a way, it explains a lot about Gwen's initial demeanor as a tough-as-nails heartbreaker with an abundance of pride, she is inevitably closest to her father which causes her to embody some of his more prominent character traits. It also explains why Gwen keeps such douchey company with Flash and Harry, she's comfortable around men who've always got something to prove which makes them easy for her to sympathize with. Though, perhaps, the fact that her father is such an overbearing presence in her life is the reason why Gwen is attracted to Peter seeing as how he's not like George at all. Gentle, introverted, and mostly passive, Petey has the appearance of genuinely confident man to Gwen. 

- He's Just Not That Into You - One of the most tragic things about Gwen Stacy was that she never knew Peter was Spider-man which left her constantly thinking he was ignoring her. Naturally when one is reading a Spider-man comic, it's only natural you sympathize with the title character but in a way and get frustrated with Gwen's lack of
    No Caption Provided
    empathy. Though with my pursuit of more knowledge of Gwen, I began to feel an immense amount of sympathy for her character especially knowing how gregarious she started off. Here she is, all her defenses down after much effort and the person she's done it all for is always disappearing. Even more tragic is that Gwen never knew Peter was Spider-man, something I imagine Peter likely agonizes over given it caused so much pain and distress for Gwen causing her to be more and more neurotic. Gwen never used to break into tears but towards the end she appeared to burst into tears any given moment, Peter definitely sent her through the motions.  

- She Hate Me - When George Stacy died he just so happened to die in Spider-man's arms, it all so very tragic as he tells Peter he knows he is Spider-man and that Gwen loves him. It would be such a majestic and sweet moment had it not been preceded by Spider-man and Doc Oc fighting in a battle which indirectly caused George Stacy's death as a result of falling debris. From then on, Gwen spirals into absolute, full on grieving-mode where she swears revenge on Spider-man in a tear-addled soliloquy right in front of Peter. Oh boy. Yup, imagine how mortifying that must've been. Even more mortifying? Gwen offers to help Sam Bullit in his campaign for DA solely because he's completely opposed to Spider-man. This caused a rift between Gwen and Peter
    No Caption Provided
    that Gwen, naturally, could not understand at all and with the death of her father she was left orphaned and grieving. Poor, poor girl. Poor Petey too, some of the last months of Gwen's life were spent totally resenting his alter-ego. It's an interesting struggle but since then has there ever been any exploration into this? Hardly at all, it always just goes back to that night Gwen died which is a shame because there was so much to Gwen's story that that really was tragic beforehand. Including, the fact that she abruptly left for England afterward after and under such horrific circumstances too....

The Verdict

Gwen Stacy is amazing. So much more than I ever expected. She's a Queen Bee, totally composed and polished being at the center of attention and with the wit and sass to match it, far more feisty and assertive than I'd ever imagined. She's complex, struggling constantly to reconcile the odd relationship she has with Peter wherein she's frequently abandoned and/or misunderstood, made peripheral or excluded. The fact that a woman who started so strong and self-assured goes through such intense feelings of inadequacy is interesting to me. I see an unintentionally profound and interesting transition from start to finish here, a characterization that was perhaps never conceptualized but came to be and still remains (unfortunately) undiscovered yet no less compelling. Gwen is more than just Spider-man's dead girlfriend, she's a whirlwind of conviction, intense emotions, passion, unyielding finesse, brazenness, and beauty! She's neurotic, emotional, occasionally impulsive but all endearingly so!  

After brushing up, I came to discover that though she doesn't get a bad wrap, she gets the wrong wrap. In the 3rd Spider-man movie, the animated series, the Mary-Jane series, and her most recent appearances in comics she's elevated to this level of sweetness that's just doesn't encompass the other dimensions of her character. We're so consumed by the fact that her death is the root of this angst, the end of the Silver Age, the first girlfriend of a superhero to perish and frankly if you look into who she was, I almost find that to be among the least interesting things. She had a real life and vitality to her, a certain character and presence that has more or less been completely forgotten or glossed over. I love that she was a mess, I love that she was arrogant, I love that she could take it too far sometimes and I'm really glad to have read about Gwen because now I feel there is genuine reason to like her that doesn't just pigeonhole her as an accessory to Peter Parker and strangely though, at the same time, it makes it easier to understand why Peter loved her so damn much.... 

No Caption Provided
    Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Icon

Epic post, and really well thought out. I totally agree. Gwen was a full, vital and nuanced character. Her death, while one of the most moving and significant in comic book history, overshadows what was an interesting character. We're always thinking of Gwen in terms of the affect she had on Pete and sometimes forgetting why she was able to have that affect in the first place. 

KattVonNoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By KattVonNoir

This is amazing. So much I never knew about Gwen Stacy before!
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By sora_thekey

Wow, wow, wow and more wow! 
    I love this Blog post more than anything I've ever read! 

Gwen Stacy has always been my favorite character, ever!  
    She is actually the reason I started reading comic. (I won't get into that story but if you want to know the story is in my CV Bio) I knew most of the things you posted above but not all. I knew that Gwen was not always the sweet girl that was depicted in most recent ways she is written. Now I understand a lot of the other two translations of the character I like. 

Ultimate Spider-Man
    - She is a rock/goth/punk girl who hates the world but has a soft spot for the weak and hates stereotypes. This makes a lot more sense now since she was the same way before, I knew 616 Gwen spoke her own mind and would fight for what she thought was right, but never did I know about her even trying to slap Pete. 
    Spectacular Spider-Man (TV Animated Series) - She is spunky and is known for giving "the look" which would make you cringe for doing something you are not supposed to. She also did not have the same look we know and love, and changed it because of MJ in the second season. (Well MJ gave her a makeover but you know...) 
    It shows that they were truer to the character than it was thought of! 

It now makes more sense and I think I like the character even better than before now. Thank You! 

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By HexThis
    @sora_thekey said:
    Ultimate Spider-Man - She is a rock/goth/punk girl who hates the world but has a soft spot for the weak and hates stereotypes. This makes a lot more sense now since she was the same way before, I knew 616 Gwen spoke her own mind and would fight for what she thought was right, but never did I know about her even trying to slap Pete. 

Oh yeah and actually if you read "Universe X", which is set in Age of Apocalypse Continuity, Gwen has become more of a brawler than anything. Actually this Gwen is a depowered Thor's body guard which I think is really interesting being that this timeline is branched off of early 616 continuity. I've always wondered what would happen if that Gwen were brought back into 616 continuity....
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By sora_thekey
    @HexThis: Yeah I remember that. She was in there fighting all the battles even though she had no powers...  
    I think that if they bring her back it might diminish the importance of her death to Peter, what I really want to see is her clone come back or Sarah Stacy!
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Will the real Gwen Stacy pweeze stand up, pu-leeze stand up...

@HexThis:
    and just an epic and perfectly streamlined dissertation of Gwen sister beloved. Marvel should tear out the bio pertaining to her in the 
    Handbooks and stick your masterpiece in its place. much cake to you! ^_^

laston12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By laston12

hey i just wanted to say this a amazing article.

i used to read the essential amazing spider man (20 issues a book) when i was 10 and even as a kid i was

blown away by the storytelling and the development of that span of time. i started to read spiderman more for peter parker than i did for spidey.

and when gwen was written so well she seemed like a real person, so when she died it was a huge impact on me.

ive realized most people havent read the original material and it makes since of how they portray her outside those stories.

im jus sayin its nice to see someone who undestands the real gwen stacy and why she was a beloved character like few people in the modern age do.

this is a great article and youkinda brought me back to when i first read it, its kinda funny that people dont know peter didnt meet harry until he went

to ESU also and that they didnt get along either. ha keep postin

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.