Follow

Guardians of the Galaxy

Team » Guardians of the Galaxy appears in 1116 issues.

The first published Guardians of the Galaxy was a team of freedom fighters in the 31st century. The name was later used for the team Star-Lord formed to deal with galactic-level threats in present day. The present day team's name was influenced by a member of the 31st century team who had time traveled to the present.

Bendis's GotG

Avatar image for thegodofthunder
    TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I just finished reading issues 1-4 of the new run and I can say I prefer DnA over Bendis. First off, I hate what Groot has been reduced to. When DnA reduced Groot to only uttering "I am Groot" I was angry. I loved the banter between groot and rocket. They were the space odd couple. Bendis has even further devolved Groot into a childish strong man. No longer is he the mighty ruler of Planet X. Just senseless, moronic comic relief. While on the topic of writing characters badly, what was with Drax in issue 4? He sound more like thor then Drax. Also, rocket went from funny to annoying. He isn't space deadpool. "Blam, murdered you!"

Second, Why in the hell did they change their amazing costumes into those godawful designs? Gamora looks just plain, and Starlord looks like a space flower.

Lastly, did tony cheat on Pepper?

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

@thegodofthunder: I love the new series. Never read the old so I don't have a problem with it. One of the current titles on my pull that I look forward to and can count on to enjoy every time. Let the good times roll!

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
    Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Baberaham_Lincoln

@thegodofthunder: I'm with you in that i prefer DnA's way more epic run too Bendis' current (but still young) run. It may be in its early days, but things aren't looking great for Bendis' run since the characters are so generic now and have been reduced to nothing more than the Avnegers in space. I really want the cold and calculative star-lord back, the bad ass Gamora, the wise and chilled Drax (not this psychopathic dude who talks in third person, issue 5 of GotG) and god damn ADAM WARLOCK!!!!

Your point on Rocket Raccoon... f_ck you're right on the money there. His stupid bantering during battles "blam, murdered you" (multiple times) is not even funny, just plain annoying.

It rustles my jimmies hmmhmmm >=O

Avatar image for thegodofthunder
    TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baberaham_lincoln: @extremis: Don't read the old run. It'll likely ruin this one for you.

I'm glad someone agrees with me, lincoln. The biggest disappointment has to be groot though. From king of planet X to comic relief. How the mighty have fallen.

mdamasco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DnA's run was amazing and while I'm not digging the current run right now I'm still hopeful that it can be just as good. Also, those costumes!!! They are all awful, star-lords especially. Why does Groot have lights? He's a tree! Gamora has the most generic costume ever.Finally, I know they will eventually explain star-lords return but what about Drax? I think everyone forgot he died in Thanos Imperative, hell I did to until I just recently reread it

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#6 vance_astro  Moderator

As much as I love Gamora,Star-Lord,The Destroyer,Groot,Iron Man & Rocket Raccoon...I'm not reading this unless Vance Astro,Mantis,Jack Flag or Adam Warlock come back.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Bendis can't write this book, I don't know why they even put him on it

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's good.

TekTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

i like it. :| *shrugs*

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I hate many of the things Bendis as done with the GotG but at the same time there are elements that I do like.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 vance_astro  Moderator
    bigtewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baberaham_lincoln: yeah rocket racoons in gotg is annoying but yet hes different in nova so its confusing how one is annoying and the other is cool

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

@bigtewell said:

@baberaham_lincoln: yeah rocket racoons in gotg is annoying but yet hes different in nova so its confusing how one is annoying and the other is cool

It shouldn't be confusing. Those books are written by two different writers.

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Bendis' run on it but this is the first I've ever actually read of the GOTG

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I almost feel bad for liking the new series. I know the only reason I like is because I never read a Guardians of the galaxy book before.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vance_astro said:

As much as I love Gamora,Star-Lord,The Destroyer,Groot,Iron Man & Rocket Raccoon...I'm not reading this unless Vance Astro,Mantis,Jack Flag or Adam Warlock come back.

I said the same thing when I saw the preview for the new GotG. They were my favorite comic team, and as much as I want to buy the new ones, I don't want to support Marvel's cheap remix. From what I heard, the writing doesn't come close to the cosmic run DnA had with all of the teams and events from Annihilation through Thanos Imperative.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

@tparks said:

@vance_astro said:

I said the same thing when I saw the preview for the new GotG. They were my favorite comic team, and as much as I want to buy the new ones, I don't want to support Marvel's cheap remix. From what I heard, the writing doesn't come close to the cosmic run DnA had with all of the teams and events from Annihilation through Thanos Imperative.

I think they are doing the team a disservice by how often it changes. It seems this team (possibly without Iron Man) will be what we know as the GotG for a long time but I feel like team is unbalanced now and that Iron Man is kind of wasting a spot that another character should have, possibly another female since Gamora is the only one.

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
    Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vance_astro: The supposed addition of 'star-power' (iron man) was there because it's logical, according to Marvel. But we can clearly see it's a blatant technique to boost up sales and it surprisingly worked well to Marvel's advantage. If i could bring one thing from DnA's run, is just the old quirky team back... not this team filled with empty personal dilemmas filled with plots left hanging (it's early days but, but still), just the good old team. (the addition of those old members would be sweet you mentioned, AND Adam Warlock.... can't not love the Warlock ^_^)

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

@baberaham_lincoln said:

@vance_astro: The supposed addition of 'star-power' (iron man) was there because it's logical, according to Marvel. But we can clearly see it's a blatant technique to boost up sales and it surprisingly worked well to Marvel's advantage. If i could bring one thing from DnA's run, is just the old quirky team back... not this team filled with empty personal dilemmas filled with plots left hanging (it's early days but, but still), just the good old team. (the addition of those old members would be sweet you mentioned, AND Adam Warlock.... can't not love the Warlock ^_^)

I think that's my problem with the book. They need a star, they need someone to be the face because until the film comes out, nobody knows who this team is. I personally think that if you are going to get rid of Major Victory\Vance Astro then Star-Lord is the best thing they have to promote as a leader. They need to make Star-Lord more significant as a character because I don't see this team becoming like the F4 where they become popular as a team. The concept of what the team is makes this roster even more ridiculous. If this is the team that is supposed to protect the entire universe, I don't think they are powerful enough.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vance_astro: I was very against buying it when I saw Iron Man was on the roster. GotG were great because they were not the big names. It was cool because they were a team full of relative no-names and sideshows, but they did big things. They don't need avengers on their team. If I want to read avengers, ill read avengers. I don't want avengers...In Space!!! I want The GotG that wasn't comparable to other comic teams, because of it's uniqueness.

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I almost feel bad for liking the new series. I know the only reason I like is because I never read a Guardians of the galaxy book before.

Exactamondo

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 vance_astro  Moderator

@tparks said:

@vance_astro: I was very against buying it when I saw Iron Man was on the roster. GotG were great because they were not the big names. It was cool because they were a team full of relative no-names and sideshows, but they did big things. They don't need avengers on their team. If I want to read avengers, ill read avengers. I don't want avengers...In Space!!! I want The GotG that wasn't comparable to other comic teams, because of it's uniqueness.

I agree.

SirJig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SirJig

@jonny_anonymous said: Bendis can't write this book, I don't know why they even put him on it

Bendis put himself on the title. Remember, alongside Quesada & Loeb, he's one third of Marvel's "Chief Creative Committee" and has his fat fingers in all the pies. He wants to be writing the book when the movie comes out.

Have any of you guys noticed that even though the DnA GotG only started less than a handful of years ago, that all the trades are suddenly out of print since Bendis jumped on the title? Marvel does not want newbies to the Guardians concept reading it and then abandoning Bendis' kid-friendly watered down version.

These days, instead of the Avengers, It's GotG's cast that sounds like Bendis talking to himself. My bet is All New X-Men is the same.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#26 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

The sooner it's over, the better.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I like it

SirJig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I think I'm going to drop it for Iron Fist. The book just has great dialogue. It has no momentum and the art is only OK.

Scarlet_Rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just thought I'd non-constructively update. Bendis' run on this book is still terrible.

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, anyone else noticed that the team's new Logo (Black star on a golden seven tipped flame) is the same as the one in the joint Star-lord & Nova memorial at the last page of Devastation?

I think its a nice nod to continuity.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.