Guardians of the Galaxy #18

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY is on sale August 27, 2014.

The Good

Oh Richard Rider, where have you been? There's nothing like the long-standing death of a character to bring out the tears and frustrations in fans. Back during THE THANOS IMPERATIVE, we saw several characters, such as Star-Lord, Nova, Drax, and Thanos, meet their end. Not to long after, we saw all had returned, except Nova. We didn't even get an explanation as to how they returned. They simply showed up AVENGERS ASSEMBLE #4 and we were left wondering what was going on.

There was an issue (GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #8, I believe) where Gamora tried finding out the truth from Star-Lord. Now Gamora has decided to find out, once and for all, what exactly happened. She is forcing Peter Quill to finally reveal the truth.

What this involves is a flashback to what happened in between the pages in THE THANOS IMPERATIVE. We were left seeing Star-Lord and Nova rushing towards Thanos with the cosmic cube they had acquired. It then cut to three days later, at their memorial. Going back and getting to see what happened during that time is fascinating. With each page, you'll find yourself carefully reading every single word in anticipation of finding out the truth and not wanting to miss anything. Do we get all the answers? Keep reading.

Ed McGuinness' art is fantastic here. As you can maybe imagine, this final moment between the heroes and Thanos is pretty explosive. McGuinness tackles it all and you can almost feel every punch and impact. This issue looks as good as you'd want it to be.

The Bad

We are starting to get some answers but that's the thing, "starting." Readers (and likely editorial) wouldn't want this story/revelation to zip out. We've waited for some time so we'd want it done right. The problem is the way the solicitation reads, it felt as if we'd find out everything here. "Now, thanks to the events of Original Sin, the truth is about to come out!" Maybe that is accurate, "about to come out." It's mainly because I first became a Richard Rider fan in the 80s, I want to know what happened. Is it greedy? Selfish? Am I impatient? Maybe. This is a really good issue. It's cool going back to the Cancerverse to see the final moments with these characters. It just felt a little dragged out and kind of like a tease. Hopefully we will find out next issue.

The Verdict

The moment many of us have been waiting for, the secret behind what happened to Nova is coming. The good and bad thing is we don't get all the answers in this issue. As important as this story is to Richard Rider fans, it's not one that we would rushed or cranked out. Brian Michael Bendis takes us back to the in-between-the-pages moment from when we last saw Star-Lord and Nova together and their memorial. Ed McGuinness' art is great to see here and there's plenty of action to enjoy. If you're a fan of Richard Rider or have been wondering what happened to him, you'll want to see how it all plays out.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

Looking forward to this, I hope GotG picks up. This last arc was bland and boring. They never did anything with Venom or Carol (even though Carol is temporary). Is this a stand alone issue or part of the next arc?

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

I get the feeling this issue will be lost on me. Oh well, I kind of expected that to happen from time to time.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

redmanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

so Richard Rider is not coming back soon i really don't like the kid nova

JTKirk101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JTKirk101

I have been waiting for this issue for years.... Seriously better be worth it. Nova(Richard) has been one of my favorite characters in comics. Not enjoying the new Nova at all..

JTKirk101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JTKirk101

@g_man: Quick question though Do we get to see any of the big Fight between Nova Starlord and Thanos in this issue?? or is it next issue....

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@darkrider

Yeah.... but Richard Rider isn't in that Spider-Man cartoon... so I doubt we'll see him back any time soon.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkrider: No where in this review does it imply that. At this point, there's no telling either way. There's still hope. And Sam's cool in his own way. He's a different character.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By HumanRocket

I am doing something that is very hard on me, I'm keeping my hopes that Richard comes back very low. From everything that Bendis has said in his interviews I just have a feelings that Rich isn't coming back to us. I hope I'm wrong but if this is the last I see of Richard I hope he goes out with a bang. In the end I either want to jump out of my seat with joy run outside and scream that he's back, or I want to finally get some closure with my favorite character.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanrocket: I also doubt that he is coming back. I believe this will be more telling of why he isn't coming back as opposed to his reintroduction. I just hope that Bendis handles it well.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
    deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone message me spoilers please. My wallet has been assaulted by cinema tickets, my girlfriend and coolege!

Avatar image for amazing_spiderman
    Amazing_Spiderman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So no venom?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oscars94: The issue isn't out until Wednesday...No spoilers for you!

deadpool25mm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Thanos.. Thats why im here.

Avatar image for uncanny_xfactor
    Uncanny_XFactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm not going to get the chance to read this issue, can somebody tag me w/ the details?

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I am over this kid Nova.RR needs to come back as Nova I enjoy his run better.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
    deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DrLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking forward to this, I hope GotG picks up. This last arc was bland and boring. They never did anything with Venom or Carol (even though Carol is temporary). Is this a stand alone issue or part of the next arc?

Star-Lord's dad is so damm boring. Too many great cosmic characters to waste time on him.

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bendis' judgement is at hand. Still I am compelled to read this despite the damage Bendis has already done to Abnett's continuity.

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hope this is good.

Also doesn't Thanos look so hug-able on the cover?

Hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Richard Ryder" Oh damn it.

Why anyone would want an explanation of this from Brian Michael Bendis of all people I have no idea.

It's not like his Star-Lord isn't a completely different person as well. As is his X-23. It won't flow into each other in any sort of believable way.

I do not want this explanation, why would I want this story to be legitimized? I want to be able to treat Bendis' GotG as a completely different story with different characters from the Abnett and Lanning version.

Avatar image for silverjuggernaut
    silverJuggernaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: when this arc is finished do you think Richard rider will stay dead or do you think he will come back and be a hero again.

triggerleo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A few issues ago on the regular Nova title, Sam found a "dead" Nova Corps member on a moon when he was flying around with Beta Ray Bill. They saw that the Nova had some sort of collar device which Sam was going to remove but BRB told him not to. Sam went on and gave the Nova a burial with a giant Nova Corps emblem as a marker. Did anyone not notice that that Nova had the Nova Prime suit on?

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sam alexander is a brilliantly handled charecter all on his own. Some have issues with his kid goofiness, but hes a kid and he is written extremley well and his journey has been an amazing one. the hate he gets is fom angry rider fans, which is completley out of hand at this point

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sam alexander is a brilliantly handled charecter all on his own. Some have issues with his kid goofiness, but hes a kid and he is written extremley well and his journey has been an amazing one. the hate he gets is fom angry rider fans, which is completley out of hand at this point

If people go back to the first issues of Richard's first ongoing when he was a teen, they will see how immature and reckless Richard was just like Sam. People just have his time as Nova Prime fresh in their minds and forget the growing pains he went through during his early years and during the New Warriors.

dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

As someone who has just started GotG with this series and know pretty much nothing about Nova and such, is this worth skipping?

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30  Edited By tparks

I'm so glad I read this review before I read this issue. I would have been so disappointed, but going in knowing I don't get all the answers makes it a lot easier, although I still want to know what's going on right now!!!! :P

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who has just started GotG with this series and know pretty much nothing about Nova and such, is this worth skipping?

The story will be hard for someone to follow who hasn't read the Thanos Imperative. BUT, I would suggest you read it. These next couple of issues will give readers who read the previous volumes of GOTG and Nova one last chance to experience the good old days of DnA's run with cosmic stories. You will see one of the best developed characters in recent years, Nova, and you may come to enjoy him. These next few issues will give you a different Star Lord, one that I prefer than the current one, one last time. YES it will be hard for you to understand, but just do a little research before reading it and I bet you that you will enjoy it.

Greendevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Snizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, give me answers as to what happened to Nova Prime

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sweet

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope you review this week's secret origin book.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just finished reading the book. I guess it is what I expected it to be. I hadn't read a Bendis book in a while so I was put off some by the quip fest that it became. It was a little jarring after the epic moments that led up to it in the Thanos Imperative. I wish that they would have put it all in this book instead of dragging it out for two issues.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

this should have been a double sized issue

capelibra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By capelibra

Just read it and the only thing I have to say is "WTF?!?"

Specifically, what answers did this issue provide? It ends in a cliffhanger (and not a very good one at that) that isn't going to be addressed in the next issue (at least according the abstract of issue #19)!

I'm just annoyed beyond belief at how the whole Richard Rider situation is being handled.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cap10nate:

Spoilers, I want to know what happened to Richard!

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fine. I give you one point Mr. Bendis. Now I wait for issue 19.

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43  Edited By Mrfuzzynutz

Oh for the love of God.....WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED ALREADY!?!?!

grrrrrrrrr

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Cap10nate

@evilvegeta74:

So this is actually just the first half of the story. The rest will occur in issue 19. It takes place where Thanos Imperative ends with them in the Cancerverse with Thanos. Starlord has the cosmic cube, but is afraid to use it to its potential because he doesn't know how to use it properly and thought he could end up sending Thanos back to his universe. They are fighting Thanos when Drax comes back into the fold and joins the fight since people can't die in the Cancerverse. Thanos keeps telling Quill to give him the Cube since he is the only one who can use it to get them out of there. Quill is trying to figure out what to do when the cube starts to take control over him and the issue ends.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By kidchipotle

Call me crazy but after seeing the name be retconned from Richard Rider to Richard Ryder, this leads me to believe he is coming back. I don't think Marvel would switch the i to a y for just a 2 issue arc unless they had future plans for the man Disney assumed people jokingly called Dick Rider.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Great issue. I have really missed Richard and Peter's chemistry.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Good issue I'm impressed I thought they'd frick it all up

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.