Follow

Green Power Ring

Object » Green Power Ring appears in 3238 issues.

The power ring of a Green Lantern is the source of power and a badge of authority for almost every member of the Green Lantern Corps. It is fueled by willpower.

what are its Limits?

acewasp23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By acewasp23

something me warlock were discussing in the Black Lantern thread got me thinking about the rings limits.

Warlock360 says:

"acewasp23 says:
    " Warlock360 says:
    "stupid question since he experienced the speed force he could make the ring imagine it and give it to him"
    yeah a ring could give him super speed but to what degree? i don't think Green lanterns are as fast as the Flash and I'm sure if they do bring him back they would slow him down. "
    well actually it should give him the exact speed he experienced and or wants to have."
    warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By warlock360

good question btw

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By warlock360

i guess its... imagination

Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
    Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

I don't think the ring could create speed force, but maybe it could tap into it. From what I understand, the Speed Force is an extra-dimesional energy source that may be sentient. If it is sentient, then it might resist the attempts of GLs to harness it. They must be aware of it, so there must be a reason they don't though it's probably editorial.

Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

Post Deleted.

CryptOmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By CryptOmen

Cosmic Sentinel says:

"I don't think the ring could create speed force, but maybe it could tap into it. From what I understand, the Speed Force is an extra-dimesional energy source that may be sentient. If it is sentient, then it might resist the attempts of GLs to harness it. They must be aware of it, so there must be a reason they *don't* though it's probably editorial."

yeah besides the speed force, could the ring also do other things for other heroes?

such as what if hank pym had a ring would it be able to shrink him with out the use of the Pym particles.

Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

In theory, he could use the ring to create Pym particles. Remember that the ring has a finite charge though. Would you want to run out of juice 3 inches high and 80 miles from your lantern?

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Methos

yeah, it could create pym particles...

the two main limits of the GL ring are the bearers imagination and will power...

M

CryptOmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CryptOmen

Cosmic Sentinel says:

"In theory, he could use the ring to create Pym particles. Remember that the ring has a finite charge though. Would you want to run out of juice 3 inches high and 80 miles from your lantern?"

thats true but if he can shrink then he would be able to shrink the lanterns down so it would be able to fit in his pocket, then he wouldn't have to worry about running out of juice.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Methos

CryptOmen says:

"thats true but if he can shrink then he would be able to shrink the lanterns down so it would be able to fit in his pocket, then he wouldn't have to worry about running out of juice. "

most GL's store their Lanterns in a pocket dimension anyway, so they can access it from anywhere at any time...

M

Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

Methos says:

"CryptOmen says:
    "thats true but if he can shrink then he would be able to shrink the lanterns down so it would be able to fit in his pocket, then he wouldn't have to worry about running out of juice. "
    most GL's store their Lanterns in a pocket dimension anyway, so they can access it from anywhere at any time... M"

I know they do these days, but I like the idea of a mini Guy Gardner waiting for a bus.

CryptOmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CryptOmen

Methos says:

"yeah, it could create pym particles... the two main limits of the GL ring are the bearers imagination and will power... M"

ok lets say Wally wast lost the use of the speed force, if he was able to get a power ring would he be able recreate the speed force with it because he experienced it in the past?

CryptOmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CryptOmen

Cosmic Sentinel says:

"I know they do these days, but I like the idea of a mini Guy Gardner waiting for a bus."

LoL

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Methos

CryptOmen says:

"ok lets say Wally wast lost the use of the speed force, if he was able to get a power ring would he be able recreate the speed force with it because he experienced it in the past? "

if he had the willpower and the imagination to back it up, then yes...

but we know that Wally can't use the ring, his willpower isn't strong enough... this was shown a while back when Kyle and Wally swapped uniforms for some reason lol

same reason Oliver Queen can't use the Ring... his Will Power is nowhere near strong enough, it took all his effort to fire one arrow at Sinestro, and it completely wiped him out to do just the one simple construct.

M

CryptOmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CryptOmen

LoL OK so aside from the fact that they cant use the green ring, if the Black ring does bring Bart back he should be able to tap into the speed force using just the power ring then.

this is a good thread for people that have other questions about the power rings and its limits.

Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

The other problem is that the speed force is a massive power source, so recreating it would be beyond a Lantern and more like something the Guardians level. Could it be emulated, probably but it would be draining the ring's charge. So the GL would only be able to do it for a set period. For the most part I think it would be an inefficient use of the ring, they can propel themselves very quickly anyway.

Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

CryptOmen says:

"LoL OK so aside from the fact that they cant use the green ring, if the Black ring does bring Bart back he should be able to tap into the speed force using just the power ring then. this is a good thread for people that have other questions about the power rings and its limits. "

My understanding of the Speed Force is that it chooses people, you can't force it (even with a Lantern Ring) to give you power. If he is revived and retains his speed, it would be more likely because of who he is than the ring.

White Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By White Phantom

I don't think a GL would need the Speed Force, the ring can do anything. All it takes is enough will and imagination.

Bob-A-Ferret

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bob-A-Ferret

Cosmic Sentinel says:

"I don't think the ring could create speed force, but maybe it could tap into it. From what I understand, the Speed Force is an extra-dimesional energy source that may be sentient. If it is sentient, then it might resist the attempts of GLs to harness it. They must be aware of it, so there must be a reason they *don't* though it's probably editorial."

Very true however the guardians have the ability to use it and have sent flash and superman on a mission that no GL could and gave flash a devise that would allow him to make a platform on which to run via will power as well as sustain him in the vacuum of space. So the Lanterns can use this power to a degree, or at least the guardians can. How ever the speed force is sentient it is also a vibrational pattern in which several entity's live So I would suspect it is a creature not unlike MOGO the living planet using avatars or allowing avatars to join with it to further its goals much like the guardians and apparently it wants to make a paradise according to Barry and Wally who have both returned from the speed force

Avatar image for silver_knight75
    Silver Knight75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By Silver Knight75

The Green Power Ring is limited by the user's imagination and willpower. 

Avatar image for silver_knight75
    Silver Knight75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By Silver Knight75

The Green Power Ring is limited by the user's imagination and willpower. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.