Follow

Green Power Ring

Object » Green Power Ring appears in 3238 issues.

The power ring of a Green Lantern is the source of power and a badge of authority for almost every member of the Green Lantern Corps. It is fueled by willpower.

Is the actual ring istself capable of killing ??

ComicCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By ComicCrazy

I'm a huge Green Lantern fan and I do know a fair bit about him but one question I have had is "is the ring itself capable of killing". I have read in an issue that the ring will not kill but then I have seen other instances and things were the Green Lantern ring is supposedly capable of murder so i just wanted to know what the official thing is. I'm sure I have read that it isn't but this was in Geoff Johns run and I don't know if he retconned that or not so can someon please tell me what they know about this ? thanks.
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Magian

Not the most knowledgebable on this subject but I do know that after the Sinestro Corps War, the Guardians wrote some new rules one of them was to authorize lethal force.

brc2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By brc2000

Yeah. They (I think temporarily) authorized lethal force during the Sinestro Crops War.

ComicCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ComicCrazy
    @brc2000:
    @ComicMan24:

So during the Sinestro corps war they were able to kill what about before that ?? does anyone know ??
    Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator
    @ComicCrazy: Before that, they WERE capable. I don't remember her name, but that Green Lantern who became a Red Lantern killed Amon Sur. 
    ComicCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ComicCrazy
    @Icarusflies:
    Thanks. Do you know if when Green Lantern was first created or around that time if the ring could kill ? and what about right now is it able to kill ? do you know
    Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator
    @ComicCrazy: I don't know about when GL was first created. But it is still able to kill right now.
    ComicCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ComicCrazy
    @Icarusflies:
    Oh ok thanks for that cause I think it was in Hal Jordan: Wanted or something that they said the ring can't kill but then again I might just be imagining things. Thanks for the info.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Mercy_
    @ComicCrazy said:
    " @Icarusflies: Oh ok thanks for that cause I think it was in Hal Jordan: Wanted or something that they said the ring can't kill but then again I might just be imagining things. Thanks for the info. "
    It was during Sinestro Corps War that they were given the authorization to use lethal force.
    LightBright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By LightBright
    @Icarusflies said:
    " @ComicCrazy: Before that, they WERE capable. I don't remember her name, but that Green Lantern who became a Red Lantern killed Amon Sur.  "
     Atrocitus

@ComicCrazy: Like the whole not being able to work against yellow thing, the GLs couldn't use the ring to kill before the book of Oa was re-written.
    Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator
    @LightBright: No, no, no... 

Laira? Yeah, that's it.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mercy_
    @LightBright: The weak against yellow ended when Parallax was removed from the Power Battery, IIRC.
    LightBright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By LightBright
    @The Dark Huntress: Oh yeah. I got that confused for some reason with the re-writing of the book.  

It shouldn't be this complicated. :P
    JesterKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By JesterKing

I thought that before the Sinestro Corps War, the rings were forbidden from killing. That was Sinestro's  plan, to force the Green Lantern Corp to resort to killing in order to restore order. It was originally ordered that only Sinestro corps members could be killed, then others. The reason that Laira was reprimanded and turned to the red lantern's was that she killed an unarmed Amon Sur out of rage if I remember right.

LightBright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LightBright
    @JesterKing said:
    " I thought that before the Sinestro Corps War, the rings were forbidden from killing. That was Sinestro's  plan, to force the Green Lantern Corp to resort to killing in order to restore order. It was originally ordered that only Sinestro corps members could be killed, then others. The reason that the lantern mentioned above (Liara) was reprimanded and turned to the red lantern's was that she killed an unarmed Amon Sur out of rage if I remember right. "
    That's right. But I'm pretty sure now they have the authority to kill outside of just Sinestro Corps members.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mercy_
    @LightBright said:
    " @The Dark Huntress: Oh yeah. I got that confused for some reason with the re-writing of the book.   It shouldn't be this complicated. :P "
    It's not complicated for me. All I've ever read is Johns' run of GL and the GLC. :P
    LightBright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LightBright
    @The Dark Huntress: I've just missed out on some of the important stuff...v_v 
    ComicCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ComicCrazy

so before sinestro war corps they were not allowed to kill and after that up to now they are allowed to kill is that right ??
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By danhimself
    @LightBright said:
    " @JesterKing said:
    " I thought that before the Sinestro Corps War, the rings were forbidden from killing. That was Sinestro's  plan, to force the Green Lantern Corp to resort to killing in order to restore order. It was originally ordered that only Sinestro corps members could be killed, then others. The reason that the lantern mentioned above (Liara) was reprimanded and turned to the red lantern's was that she killed an unarmed Amon Sur out of rage if I remember right. "
    That's right. But I'm pretty sure now they have the authority to kill outside of just Sinestro Corps members. "
    they do...the first of the new laws of the Book of Oa was that lethal force was enabled against SInestro Corps members...the second law is that lethal force is enable against all enemies of the Green Lantern Corps...and JesterKing is correct...Liara killed Amon Sur after he surrendered and was then tried by the Guardians and the Alpha Lanterns she had her ring and membership in the corps taken away and when she flipped out over this a red ring attached to her
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mercy_
    @ComicCrazy said:
    " so before sinestro war corps they were not allowed to kill and after that up to now they are allowed to kill is that right ?? "
    Yes.
    ComicCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ComicCrazy

Thanks guys for everything
    TheAntiVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheAntiVillain

yes as long as it is unintentional and indirect (pre-sinestro corps war)

AFArtist1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By AFArtist1973

According to the "Book of Oa", the first new law in it authorizes lethal force against the Sinestro Corps.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheCrowbar

Second Law authorizes lethal force against all enemies of Oa.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.